The online racing simulator
Spinoff : Texture size discussion
(184 posts, started )
1 pound for yet still low resolution textures.

1024x1024 is low resolution... i have 30,000 skins in my skin_x folder and if i wanted them all HighER it would cost 15 pounds, but yet they will still be low resolution.

i could understand if they was 2048x2048 (which in my case is still low resolution) but there not so i would be paying 15 pounds for them still being low.

i know they was low be for and it wont kill me using them low still but i run 2560x1600 resolution and there seems to be no graphical updates for higher resolution stuff for us high end users.

not every one has low resolution and old pc's you know.
nice nice as always

Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :......

why do you always have to complain?
also, when i race i dont have much time to look at the skins anyways, so what do u do to see the "bad" quality?
afaik this is a racing sim, not a competition whos got the highest res skins
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :1 pound for yet still low resolution textures.

1024x1024 is low resolution... i have 30,000 skins in my skin_x folder and if i wanted them all HighER it would cost 15 pounds, but yet they will still be low resolution.

Wrong. You have 30,000 512 x 512 skins in your skins_x folder. You would pay 15 pounds for 30,000 1024 x 1024 skins. 512 is low resolution, 1024, is really medium, but at least better then blurry 512 for those that really care.

2048 is just not suitable for 30+ cars in LFS. Best for screenshots, movies, renders, etc... not racing.
Quote from Tweaker :2048 is just not suitable for 30+ cars in LFS. Best for screenshots, movies, renders, etc... not racing.

are you seriouse? ROFL

2048 is resonable resolution 4096 is high resolution
maybe if you had a nvidia 4 series card you would think 1024 is high resolution..

but this is 2007 man
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :maybe if you had a nvidia 4 series card you would think 1024 is high resolution..

but this is 2007 man

I don't speak for everyone here buddy. 1024 is reasonable quality to PLAY with for the majority of people.... this is gaming "man".

If you want 2048, or even 4096, good luck finding someone that made a skin in that res (not to mention they are 1.5mb or higher -- fork over hundreds of pounds and pay for the devs hosting then). Try a full grid of 4096 skins :rolleyes:. LFS is pretty crude when it comes to texture quality on the cars, deal with it. If you think you have a magic wand and can suddenly bring about super duper high res skins then do it yourself. Otherwise.... yeah you know.
Quote from matze54564 :@Devs
The DDS-skins need more space than the JPG-skins, so i don´t know why made a new format which will cause more network traffic by the same resolution?
Have u think about the PNG-format? For some text on the car will PNG absolutely very much smaller by the same resolution. I will add a test-png. i dont know if it possible to include 2 different image-formats, PNG for Text-skins and skins with big color surfaces and JPG for photo realistic skins.

LFS is NOT downloading the DDS files from LFSW, it is downloading the 1024 JPGs onto your PC and then converting them to DDS when you aren't racing.
i dno why the need for the DDS is anyway. jpeg is fine.

i think 512 should be low (for low end users)

1024 medium (for people who have average pcs)

and 2048 high (for me and a few other people with monster pcs)

i dont get what all the new conversion thing and rubbish is helping...

it should be 1 pound for 2048 textures and 1024 and 512 should be free cause there low >.<
#8 - herki
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :maybe if you had a nvidia 4 series card you would think 1024 is high resolution..

but this is 2007 man

Sorry dissapoint you, but even if it is 2007 it doesn't neccessarily mean everything older should be banned. I'm quite happy that LFS is still pretty playable even on low-end systems, and I hope it'll never change.

---

Also I'm happy to support new kitchens etc. by downloading the high-res skins
#9 - joen
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :are you seriouse? ROFL

2048 is resonable resolution 4096 is high resolution

right...this may be 2007 but the percentage of players running at such a high resolution is negligible.
It makes no sense to use resolutions higher than 2048 for skins as most people make their skins at 2048 maximum (or lower).

Quote from geeman1 :It depends on the skin really. But I think on average PNGs would be bigger than JPGs in this case.

Yup. Matze is right in a way. Minimalistic skins with few color could end up smaller than jpg but the difference wouldn't be that big. With more complicated textures PNG will definitely be a lot bigger. So I don't think it would be worth the trouble and have little benefit, if any.
Quote from Tweaker :If you want 2048, or even 4096, good luck finding someone that made a skin in that res (not to mention they are 1.5mb or higher). Try a full grid of 4096 skins :rolleyes:. LFS is pretty crude when it comes to texture quality on the cars, deal with it. If you think you have a magic wand and can suddenly bring about super duper high res skins then do it yourself. Otherwise.... yeah you know.

i am a skinner and i make textures.

iv used 20 AI's using my 4096 resolution skin on the grid and still had 100+ fps still playable game verry smoothe and fps stayed above 100 at all times.

because in reality lfs isnt "high quality" shadder and effects game like most so i dont get why people complain about "oh iv got no FPS", well its obviouse they wont if they dont spend a few bob and get a half decent pc, because there trying to run a game on a low end pc which actually works, if they tryed running a high image quality game on the same pc it would kill it
what do u do?
racing?
standing on the track watching other ppls skins all day long?
if u would actually race u barely would notice a diff between 512 and 1024. not to mention even higher resolutions.

oh and btw i dont give a crap how "good" ur pc is, and i think nobody cares.
fact is there a lot of ppl who dont have shitloads of money so they cant afford high end machines.
so plz leave it, ur making me mad.
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :i dno why the need for the DDS is anyway. jpeg is fine.

i think 512 should be low (for low end users)

1024 medium (for people who have average pcs)

and 2048 high (for me and a few other people with monster pcs)

i dont get what all the new conversion thing and rubbish is helping...

it should be 1 pound for 2048 textures and 1024 and 512 should be free cause there low >.<

You still aren't understanding it Jimmy.

The devs already have a load of bandwidth and storage to deal with just by storing the 1024 skins and distributing the 512 ones!!! And you think they can pay for all that constantly? 1024 is at least a better alternative to the 512, and only for 1 pound?!?! sheesh you are cheap to be expecting more.

Also, not everyone creates skins in 2048 size, most skins come in 1024 size and that is all.

I still don't understand completely the benefits of the DDS files either, the quality is actually worse then a normal JPG, kinda odd.

Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :i am a skinner and i make textures.

iv used 20 AI's using my 4096 resolution skin on the grid and still had 100+ fps still playable game verry smoothe and fps stayed above 100 at all times.

because in reality lfs isnt "high quality" shadder and effects game like most so i dont get why people complain about "oh iv got no FPS", well its obviouse they wont if they dont spend a few bob and get a half decent pc, because there trying to run a game on a low end pc which actually works, if they tryed running a high image quality game on the same pc it would kill it

I am skinner, but somehow you think that makes you obligated to be using 2048 to download? Some people....

LFS still runs on DirectX 8.0, we don't have shaders and all that stuff you want your PC to have sex with, we can't get any better then this for the sake of performance and BANDWIDTH.
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :i dno why the need for the DDS is anyway. jpeg is fine.

Maybe it got changed to prevent skin stealing from skins_x folder?
Quote :it should be 1 pound for 2048 textures and 1024 and 512 should be free cause there low >.<

Think of the bandwidth. 1024 skins need 4 times the bandwidth and 2048 skins would need 16 times the bandwidth.
Quote from joen :Some time ago there was a discussion about using PNG. But PNG files are considerably bigger in filesize.

No, you must the right images save as PNG, they must have
- Big surfaces with the same color
- Not to much different colors in one file
- System-colors if possible

Please watch my example-file and save it as JPG

But i guess 2 different Formats in LFS are maybe impossible. I dont wonna remove JPG, i want just add the PNG beside the JPG

And sorry that i was not right reading what scawen wrote "skins_dds : lfs uses this to store dds (compressed) versions of your local skins"

thanks for reading
im not complaining, im just saying.

i dont see why such a great game should be more built towards low end pc's that arent built to play games in the first place, rather than higher textures for the game so pc's that are built for games, it looks better.

yes its good that the game Can play on low pc's but i think now the dev's should work towards higher graphics settings aswell As low settings rather than still playing around at low resolutions (512/1024 textures)

and start on 2048 etc if you understand.

cause most games have more graphics settings which you simply choose high, medium, or low.
this doesnt tho, and i really think now theres low and medium the devs should work on higher than there currently is
Then read the last line of my post above this.

Great spinoff thread coming soon!
Quote from geeman1 :Maybe it got changed to prevent skin stealing from skins_x folder?

DDS can still be converted back to JPG easily, it isn't so much a protection measure, but something to improve performance AFAIK. No point in having the DDS feature though imo
I have had no trouble running 30 cars with 2048x2048 skins while racing online, whether you call them HiRes or not.

Scawen are you now just simply increasing the quality of the existing 1024x1024 400kb skins that everyone has uploaded so they are still 1024x1024 but larger file size or will the user now have the ability to upload a larger file (say up to 1MB).
The reason a ask is that most 1024x1024 skins are downsized from 2048x2048 higher res skins. for them to now just have an increase in quality is not the best way of maintaining their quality to begin with. If you know what I mean.

EDIT: I was wrong in the above post so please disregard. As I understand it the skins dowloaded are 512x512 for cars and 256x256 for helmets, so now I get the Hi-Res skin download via payment. Sorry for posting prior to proper research.
i think 1024 is mid range quality but enough for gaming. i am not sure if i will pay for 1024 skins though, because when i look at my skinsX folder, there are over 3000 skins in it and the most of them are crappy anyway. so why spending money for transferring crappy skins to my computer.

people who making videos can ask the drivers to get a better resolution and in leagues there is often a collection of the league driver-skins in hires for movie makers.

i make all my skins in 2048.
with 2048 you can have nice looking movies and stuff and when watching replays it is more then enough. at least on my screen with 1280x800 resolution.

not sure if 4096 (as it is 4 times the size of 2048x2048 which is 4 times the size of 1024x1024) would pay up for the ddtails as long as you don't go really into detailed shots in movies. 4096 is a bit of overload in my opinion.
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :i dont see why such a great game should be more built towards low end pc's that arent built to play games in the first place, rather than higher textures for the game so pc's that are built for games, it looks better.

This isn't about performance, it's about bandwidth.
Quote from Tweaker :LFS still runs on DirectX 8.0, we don't have shaders and all that stuff you want your PC to have sex with, we can't get any better then this for the sake of performance.

i know, for DX 8 it looks good IF you put 2048/4096 textures on it.

but i know for low end users that would bog there pc like a brick in quicksand but for us high end users, i think there should be a high setting aswell as low and medium for low users.
Quote from geeman1 :This isn't about performance, it's about bandwidth.

i know im not botherd about peformance, i have enough of it (and im sure a few people do too) which is why theres room for 4x more resolution of all the textures on lfs (IE 2048-4096) as a HIGH setting.

if there was a high setting doesnt mean that you have to use it if you get low fps on a low end pc, which is why there should be still the settings there is now as a Low setting option.
The One pound charge for the 1024 skins is a great idea, but I'm curious; What happens when someone puts a 12 pound credit on their account, with intentions of paying in advance for S3? Will they suddenly get 12 pounds-worth of available skins downloading, or? What about people who have already paid for S3, has that 12 pounds still been reserved for S3, or applied to the skins? Just making sure the devs have taken that into account.

@Jimmy - I have seen only skin ever posted for LFS that was larger than 2048. One. And you expect those to be available for download? Most people skin at 1024, how do you expect to get a 2048 res version from that? So what if you have a super computer; I have a very good PC too, and I can run a full grid of AIs with 2048 res skins, too. What's your point? There is not one single game on the market that comes stock with 2048 skins, AFAIK, (rF is 1024).
#23 - joen
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :i know, for DX 8 it looks good IF you put 2048/4096 textures on it.

but i know for low end users that would bog there pc like a brick in quicksand but for us high end users, i think there should be a high setting aswell as low and medium for low users.

Who are those high end users you're speaking of? You're the only one I see complaining about it.
You need to get a perspective and understand that it's not just about you and your supa dupa computer, it isn't the standard. It's not just black and white, it's not just high end or low end, there's a big area in between that as well.

And like already said, performance isn't the issue here, it's the bandwith.
Quote from Jimmy_Lemon :i know im not botherd about peformance, i have enough of it (and im sure a few people do too) which is why theres room for 4x more resolution of all the textures on lfs (IE 2048-4096) as a HIGH setting.

Did you read my post? Performance isn't the problem here. 2048 skins would need more bandwidth and more storage space. The devs have to pay for those. The skins would need 16 times more of both. It would cost the devs 16 times more money. Think about that!
-
(geeman1) DELETED by geeman1
Quote from MAGGOT : There is not one single game on the market that comes stock with 2048

look harder

Spinoff : Texture size discussion
(184 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG