The online racing simulator
Atmospherical Improvements
(78 posts, closed, started )
Maybe you can make it so that the menu is interactive (like, it shows racing clips in the back) kind of like burnout 3, except when you move the cursor, a little crosshair in the back follows it (will provide example if anyone likes this idea).

And possibly some in game movement, it's getting a bit repetitive just driving. Maybe some shifting movement, and possibly some kind of display that shows in-game music, like EA-Trax.

And instead of just displaying the scores, make it fly in with a blur and make a quick chime

Atmosphere, such as rain and snow could be an addition, if not being hard to code. It would be fun to see my car slide around a bit more when I try to turn
That would be, um, like retarded, lol.
Yes, and please add at the beginning of every race a strong barytone voice screaming, ''Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGIIIIIINES"
Sounds like good-looking eye-candy to me, but irrelevant to racing (which is by its nature quite repetitive btw)

I'm sure if you had all the cars and tracks you'd be too busy to care about frilly graphics
Buy S2

hee hee
I was expecting some well thought out ideas on how to improve the atmosphere while racing, but all I found was a silly EA style arcade suggestion for the friggin menu. :grumpy:

Quote from tristancliffe :Buy S2

+1
why not add a big red NOS button and then when pressed make the screen go blurry because we'd be travelling at uber speeds!

not!
ROLF

And then people ask why the drifting community is being flamed

Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :And possibly some in game movement, it's getting a bit repetitive just driving.

Yeah, I wrote an email to the Chessmaster devs, I said playing chess with it was being a bit repetitive.
<leetspeak>
zomg i wan na buttno dat wen u pres it it close teh game n opnes dis page!!11!111111omglol
</leetspeak>

I wouldn't mind some more interesting stuff in the background, but it definitely shouldn't be all that high on the priority list. Let's get the racing part sorted out before the graphic part.
#10 - Davo
haha i thought this thread would be about the wind and rain atmosphere
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :Maybe you can make it so that the menu is interactive (like, it shows racing clips in the back) kind of like burnout 3, except when you move the cursor, a little crosshair in the back follows it (will provide example if anyone likes this idea).

And possibly some in game movement, it's getting a bit repetitive just driving. Maybe some shifting movement, and possibly some kind of display that shows in-game music, like EA-Trax.

And instead of just displaying the scores, make it fly in with a blur and make a quick chime

Yes, lets make the menus cluncky and slow like games that concentrate on bling rather than content. And yeah, a silly crosshair is really needed, because the one we always use is horrid.

I know what you mean - having in game movement would completely stop doing thousands of laps of blackwood becoming repetative. We could have shift movement that is a second too late, and yeah, we could have those bars that jump up and down with music, because all professional drivers listen to music and have graphic equalisers in their racing cars. Why not copy EA, who make 500 brand new games each year and never add pointless gimmicks one after the other to get stupid people to buy each (£35) update.

And having the 'scores' come on to the screen with a blur and a chime would be SOOOOOOOOOO cool. I don't think it could ever be annoying, and it would be just like real life - you know, when Kimi is in the pits and Massa pips his time his timing screen blurs and goes PING just like this...

Critical Drift - I don't think this posting or thinking malarky is quite up your street. Maybe practice drinking? Through a straw if necessary.
Quote from Paranoid Android :Yes, and please add at the beginning of every race a strong barytone voice screaming, ''Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGIIIIIINES"

That would be awesome +1

Seriously.

I thought the thread was gonna be about fog and stuff
Quote from VTiRoj :
I thought the thread was gonna be about fog and stuff

I was thinking similar thoughts, but then I noticed the author of the post before I clicked to view. Then I thought, eh? We'll see what it says, and I clicked. I should have just left it alone......
Why do you people have to bash the goddamned Demo Racer. I know Cr!t!cal, he's a good guy, and he wants to make a suggestion on how he thinks the game should be, and you tell him to go fckin buy S2.

S2 is NOT an issue right here, what, demo racers can't make suggestions or have opinions? Hell, they're useless suggestions but HE THINKS THEY WILL MAKE THE GAME BETTER!

You don't have to go on a rant and ramble and bash the poor dude, just say you don't like that idea and move on. Simple.
#16 - JJ72
how many miles do you have when you say "it's getting a bit repetitive just driving" ???
Quote from LazLoW :Why do you people have to bash the goddamned Demo Racer. I know Cr!t!cal, he's a good guy, and he wants to make a suggestion on how he thinks the game should be, and you tell him to go fckin buy S2.

It's a running joke that you've apparently missed.

And, frankly, I'm inclined to believe he's not such a "good guy" given his suggestion yesterday that it might be a good idea to disseminate a malicious fake crack file.
Driving gets repetitive? Get one of these!
This.... "running joke" goes too far and gets too many people angry. I've heard his excuse, so have many of you as well. Whatever. I think it just needs to stop. This "running joke" wears down after 3 or 4 years.
Quote from LazLoW :This.... "running joke" goes too far and gets too many people angry. I've heard his excuse, so have many of you as well. Whatever. I think it just needs to stop. This "running joke" wears down after 3 or 4 years.

There is only one post saying him to buy S2

He's not being bashed for being a demo user, just for suggesting stupid things.

If he feels the demo is repetitive he has two options: 1) Buy the full game to have new content. 2) Delete LFS folder and try a game that suits him.
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, lets make the menus cluncky and slow like games that concentrate on bling rather than content. And yeah, a silly crosshair is really needed, because the one we always use is horrid.

I know what you mean - having in game movement would completely stop doing thousands of laps of blackwood becoming repetative. We could have shift movement that is a second too late, and yeah, we could have those bars that jump up and down with music, because all professional drivers listen to music and have graphic equalisers in their racing cars. Why not copy EA, who make 500 brand new games each year and never add pointless gimmicks one after the other to get stupid people to buy each (£35) update.

And having the 'scores' come on to the screen with a blur and a chime would be SOOOOOOOOOO cool. I don't think it could ever be annoying, and it would be just like real life - you know, when Kimi is in the pits and Massa pips his time his timing screen blurs and goes PING just like this...

Critical Drift - I don't think this posting or thinking malarky is quite up your street. Maybe practice drinking? Through a straw if necessary.

Hm? Well guess what. **** you bud.

Quote from LazLoW :Why do you people have to bash the goddamned Demo Racer. I know Cr!t!cal, he's a good guy, and he wants to make a suggestion on how he thinks the game should be, and you tell him to go fckin buy S2.

S2 is NOT an issue right here, what, demo racers can't make suggestions or have opinions? Hell, they're useless suggestions but HE THINKS THEY WILL MAKE THE GAME BETTER!

You don't have to go on a rant and ramble and bash the poor dude, just say you don't like that idea and move on. Simple.

Thanks anyways, but they don't give a shit anyways. I have a ****ing reputation here that people seem to hang on to.

Quote from thisnameistaken :It's a running joke that you've apparently missed.

And, frankly, I'm inclined to believe he's not such a "good guy" given his suggestion yesterday that it might be a good idea to disseminate a malicious fake crack file.

It's not malicious And it was a joke...

Quote from Eldanor :There is only one post saying him to buy S2

He's not being bashed for being a demo user, just for suggesting stupid things.

If he feels the demo is repetitive he has two options: 1) Buy the full game to have new content. 2) Delete LFS folder and try a game that suits him.

And it's not that the cars are repetitive, but I mean, LFS doesn't seem to have enough...well style. It just makes the game seem low budget. And, well, improving, things (such as wind, rain, fog, snow) would be nice too.

Sure, the s2 license might be a bit more exciting, but still, does that mean when I buy s2, there will be some little video or something to let the game look better?

Finally, the racing in this game is already good. The only things I can think of to improve it, are things which are like wet tires and stuff, or maybe if grass affects tire performance.

And there is more than one post telling me to buy s2.

And that stupid idiot who posted the 'stfu' link? Never call me immature again.

Thanks for bashing me once again.
Quote from LazLoW : just say you don't like that idea and move on.

I don't like the idea(s) (for they are truly stupid) I'm moving on
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :And it's not that the cars are repetitive, but I mean, LFS doesn't seem to have enough...well style. It just makes the game seem low budget.

It is low-budget, and it always will be. And the budgets that require the most careful management are the time budgets available to Scawen, Eric and Victor.

Because of this, and because they've set out to create the most realistic multiplayer racing simulator available, they're not going to waste any time adding gratuitous animations to HUD elements or fancy sound effects.

You have to understand this is a niche product with a tiny development team. They can't just throw mountains of resources at everything like a big developer would.
CriticialDrift or however you spell your name, keep in mind when you come into this section, you can't let emotions mix with your ideas, otherwise you'll turn out like you are right now and getting extremely defensive. A suggestion is a suggestion, and while other people post their opinions on the suggestion, you should not really care what they have to say, because what you say (and any thread starter for that matter) is just posting an idea, and should only keep track to see where opinions are leading, and go from that.

Pushing (what you are doing) doesn't help, it never has. Compromises however occur all the time, and they are the only safe way to go, and usually lead to something even better than what had been suggested before hand.

As for on topic, I have to agree with Tristan, I personally wouldn't like to see any "bling" around LFS, it looks clean and simple like it should. Yes some things could be improved menus wise, but special effects such as those are not necessary.
I think the problem people are having with these ideas, is that they aren't really very original ideas, they're things which already exist in other games- in one form or another. Your suggestions (especially the music tracks names) sound very NFS'ish. LFS isn't trying to be like NFS, rather LFS stands quite proudly in opposition to games of that ilk. NFS is arcadey fun, whereas LFS is being designed consciously as an accessible but serious sim.

I'm sure if you took ideas from LFS and presented them to the NFS guys, you'd quite likely recieve a similarly cold reception... Tire flex? Advanced physics??? Who'd really want those?

Inmenu movies tend to get old quite fast and I always find a way to turn them off.

Rain and snow have been suggested 100's of times. People are generally in agreement that weather effects would be cool and desirable in LFS, as they would impact on racing in interesting and meaningful ways.

Try to think function over superficial form and you'll probably be more of a hit with people around here. They're just tryin' to stir you up anyway, best not to take it too personally... or too seriously.
This thread is closed

(78 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG