The online racing simulator
The guy inside car literally switches gears.
If this is a simulator what do u guys think about the guy inside the car actually/ literally switching the gear stick/ gear shifter . Just like in real life and in the video game test drive unlimited.It would look and feel so much better if that was added If this was asked before plzz dont kill me over it, I just didnt feel like reading and searching for it
This has never been suggested before. Good thinking.
of course this has been suggested, and i think i read something about it not being feasible because of the delay of gearshift (the animation needs time to complete and you have to shift earlier so that the driver in the game shifts at the right time)
It would look good in replays though.

It could be done because the shift points are already known... not that I would give this anything but the lowest priority, but I'll say +1 because it would be neat to have it someday. Like, in S3 or something.
#6 - Ian.H
Quote from icyocean :of course this has been suggested, and i think i read something about it not being feasible because of the delay of gearshift (the animation needs time to complete and you have to shift earlier so that the driver in the game shifts at the right time)

This used to work on Lombard RAC Rally back in the 90s on my Amiga with 2Mb RAM and a 14mhz processor... how could it not work in 2007?

GTR2 also has no problem with the gear animations.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :This used to work on Lombard RAC Rally back in the 90s on my Amiga with 2Mb RAM and a 14mhz processor... how could it not work in 2007?
GTR2 also has no problem with the gear animations.

It isn't perfect in any game, it can't be. You can always change gear in a unpredictable manner, so the virtual hand is always lagging behind the actual gear change. Some changes could be predicted so that the hand would go the shifter in advance.
Anyway this is one of those eye candy features. So 1) it doesn't have to be perfect 2) it's low priority so maybe it will be done when we get to S3
I hope, when the devs bother with this, they also give the driver model more polygons, cause the arms look a bit too rough.
#9 - Ian.H
Quote from geeman1 :It isn't perfect in any game, it can't be. You can always change gear in a unpredictable manner, so the virtual hand is always lagging behind the actual gear change. Some changes could be predicted so that the hand would go the shifter in advance.
Anyway this is one of those eye candy features. So 1) it doesn't have to be perfect 2) it's low priority so maybe it will be done when we get to S3

True.. actually now I think about it (I don't have it installed atm), I think GTR2's is merely a forwards and backwards motion, but naturally those cars have sequential boxes, but the gear lever doesn't move or even look like the hand is that close to it.. but as you say in point #1, it doesn't have to be perfect.

I guess as much as I'm a perfectionist (sometimes my downfall), I realise that a sim is a representation of realism rather than realism on a screen.. so I'd be pretty happy with something that was quite close to what would be expected rather than (an OTT example) seeing the fingers grip around the gear knob and the likes for that "ultra detail".

It'd be cool to see it implemented, but in no rush for it either.. infact, disabled it in GTR2 as it was one hell of a resource hog, but the LFS driver animation seems to be more resource-friendly in general.. either that or just lower-res cockpits to start with.. I haven't looked that deeply into GTR2 to tell

Regards,

Ian
To implement this right now is useless, and extremely difficult. Anyone who has an H-gated shifter will tell you there needs to be a lot of work done to the way you shift in lfs. Putting the shifter in a gear and not pressing the clutch would be problematic now, in the game the gear does not change until you press the clutch, if autoclutch is disabled. What will the driver in the game do then? Too early for this imo, it could be done, but not yet.
its 2007 anything is possible just look at the game TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED
Quote from T-6 TURBO :its 2007 anything is possible just look at the game TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED

why is everyone obessed with that game?
I played it before i didnt really get a great thrill over it, well ill try again >.< i dot have a 360 so ill just go play it in the shop.
#13 - Jakg
yes, and in TDU it takes an AGE to shift because you have to wait for the driver to engage the new gear
that maybe true but its realistic.... in real life u dont shift gears in .2 seconds....thats why i think the guy shifting the gear should be added
i've had this suggestion on my mind for a long time. I really want to see this implimented
#16 - FL!P
I would find more useful (at least in single seaters) to be able to point-by (raise the right or left arm and point to the side where you're going to leave room for the guy behind to pass you), or raise your arm when you've stalled (when stalling gets implemented). But I'm not holding my breath.
How many threads are going to be made about this? I think there should be a sticky about it. I dont think lfs is ready for this yet. There are many things that have to be done with the actual shifting,clutch, and god only knows what else first. Im willing to bet, Scavier alread has this done, in some magical version of lfs any of us would sell our first born for. But the version we have is not ready for it.
#18 - wark
Quote from FL!P :I would find more useful (at least in single seaters) to be able to point-by (raise the right or left arm and point to the side where you're going to leave room for the guy behind to pass you), or raise your arm when you've stalled (when stalling gets implemented). But I'm not holding my breath.

:chicken: :feathers: arrot: :owl:

Quote from stevewhite :I think there should be a sticky about it.

There already is (it's already in the log).
Quote from T-6 TURBO :that maybe true but its realistic.... in real life u dont shift gears in .2 seconds....thats why i think the guy shifting the gear should be added

Have you ever driven a car with a manual transmission?
Quote from T-6 TURBO :that maybe true but its realistic.... in real life u dont shift gears in .2 seconds....thats why i think the guy shifting the gear should be added

You'd be surprised how fast you can change gears mate. It all just boils down to timing and dexterity.
A 0.2 second shift is perfectly possible for a very skilled driver for transmissions with short gear lever strokes, e.g., Honda S2000.

In case you're all wondering, the idea of the driver really shifting gears in view whilst you're driving was already very well implemented in NFS:Porsche Unleashed. What was remarkable was that it wasn't just a graphical showoff, it actually worked properly, with the shift done right after the guy stops moving his arm.
My opinion is, why in the world do you want to even see the driver and wheel when you are racing, let alone see the driver reaching and shifting the gears? As has been said many times in other threads of this suggestion, I don't want to see a second set of arms and a second wheel when I'm racing. I already have arms attached to me and already have a wheel in front of me. No need to even display it on screen.

For movies it could be kind of cool, but I rarely notice the driver in most movies anyways. There are a few movies that have a in-car camera though and it would be a nice feature for that.

That said about the movies, then it is my opinion that this suggestion should be VERY low on the list of things that need done. It would only be an eye-candy feature as simulation of racing is top priority over a movie or screenshot generator (remember, you already have arms and have a steering wheel when racing, no need for displaying the driver/wheel on the screen to begin with).
Quote from Jakg :yes, and in TDU it takes an AGE to shift because you have to wait for the driver to engage the new gear

OT, if you did play TDU with a shifter you would've noticed that the animation is coming behind, you can shift gears as you like, and it is instant the moment you do a shift. "Completely" different from shifting help.

I don't think it is relevant to have the game predict and learn your shifting behavior, but a shifting animation would be a nice thing to have.
#24 - Jakg
when my G25 broke i played TDU because it was easy with my crappy Momo which felt rubbish because i coudn't set it up properly, i've never tried t with a shifter

I'm too young to drive a kart with gears on, but they go extremly quick, one of the drivers has about 20 years experiance, and his reaction to changing gears is lightning not even a second in each change.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG