The online racing simulator
32 car in single player, too
(31 posts, started )
Would it be possible to race 31 AIs?
#2 - Woz
Quote from Viper29 :Would it be possible to race 31 AIs?

If you have a really SERIOUS pc it might be. Would hate to think the CPU demands with 31 AI
It's a E4300 @ 2.7 Ghz. At least I would like to give it a try .
With E6400 @ 3Ghz the FPS with 20 AIs was around 10-30. I had all the graphic options maxed too, so they probably lowered the FPS quite bit too, but 12 more AIs would still be rather mad.
Ai needs to be no higher then 24ish
#6 - Jakg
Quote from geeman1 :With E6400 @ 3Ghz the FPS with 20 AIs was around 10-30. I had all the graphic options maxed too, so they probably lowered the FPS quite bit too, but 12 more AIs would still be rather mad.

24 FPS with my 3 GHz AMD here, sounds like your graphics card to me
Quote from (-Mark-) :Ai needs to be no higher then 24ish

But would it hurt to give it a try? If it does not work for people, then you choose a lower number. But I can't see the reason why to restrict it on the gameside.
hmm yea, it could be topped out to say 32, but people dont have to use that many , could be a in a test patch, see how people like it and if they can handle it etc
I can handle 20 AI's at about 40 FPS, on an 20" iMac.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I can handle 20 AI's at about 40 FPS, on an 20" iMac.

Do they still measure the speed of Macs in inches?
70 FPS with 20 AIs on a E6600 @3,3Ghz... Looks like it could handle 12 more...

edit: Ok, but where's the interest in putting 32 idiots on a track?
Did some more testing. Now @ 2.8GHz and 8800GTS with graphics at 1680x1050, everything maxed (in LFS and in nvidia cp). I was spectating 20 RACs in BL GP Avarage FPS was probably around 30. When I there was ~1-4 cars on the screen FPS was only limited by refresh rate (60Hz), worst situations the FPS went down to ~15 when there were lots of cars on view and the view was close to the action. When there was ~5-15 cars on the screen the FPS was 20-30.

I don't really see a reason why we shouldn't be able to have 32 AIs. You can of course get more FPS by reducing graphical details, but still you need a really fast computer to have it as playable.
It could be a pointless move, since the AI are "soon" to be made more sophisticated, they are likely to become more CPU hungry. At which point it may become impossible for even high end machines to run 31 AI, plus even with 20 you may find yourself struggling to get to the front of the pack.
Quote from Bob Smith :It could be a pointless move, since the AI are "soon" to be made more sophisticated, they are likely to become more CPU hungry. At which point it may become impossible for even high end machines to run 31 AI, plus even with 20 you may find yourself struggling to get to the front of the pack.

First C2D guy, surprised your FPS were a little low.
Second C2D guy, Ricou, I've got major PC envy.

It will be interesting to see IF it makes them more cpu 'hungry' . I'm eager to see if inproved ai either way. Considering it really is still only running on one core, its relatively impressive that the game is still ~fluidly playable on higher end machines. My 2.6GHz X2 4800 (939) still only dips into the mid teens at the most extreme situations, like some impressive T1 incidents the AI managed (thats max: qual, AA, AF 1680x1050 with lowly x850xt). Now if the AI could use my other core as their 'brain'...
If you have more than one PC in the house would it be possible to run a server with a bunch of AI on one PC and then join it and race on another PC? I only have one windows machine so I haven't been able to try this yet.
i still get 100+ fps when i look at 20 AI's on the grid.

i think personally there should be a limit of about 40 AI's so you could have a huge insain race
Jimmy and Ricou are probably using some low res and lower detail

I attached a pic of probably the most resource hungry spot of BL1/RAC race.
Attached images
lfs_00000005.jpg
Quote from scurrg :If you have more than one PC in the house would it be possible to run a server with a bunch of AI on one PC and then join it and race on another PC? I only have one windows machine so I haven't been able to try this yet.

Yup, should be able to.. it'd make it just the same as a normal online race with AI added.. except you'd be able to connect via the LAN method using a local IP address.

Might have to try that myself actually as I get on average ~50-60+ (FPS capped at 66) but when behind the AI, that plummets to about 20 if I'm lucky

Regards,

Ian
Quote from geeman1 :Jimmy and Ricou are probably using some low res and lower detail

I attached a pic of probably the most resource hungry spot of BL1/RAC race.

1680x1050 high deffinition with 16xAA and 16xAF..

your post is incorrect.
I think the telling number most of us are getting at is what is the min fps when YOU are driving against all 19AI drivers, starting at the back of the field....

oohhhhhwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa..... I want 16xAA 16xAF................
Quote from srdsprinter :I think the telling number most of us are getting at is what is the min fps when YOU are driving against all 19AI drivers, starting at the back of the field....

~35 for me.

To clear things up: with my setup you can easily race the AI. The avarage FPS is around 30+ depending on how close you are to the AIs and how many of them there are. When they spread apart and you get further away from them of course the FPS rises to 100+, but it will also go down when the AI get in a big lump and one of them drives on the grass to shoot out smoke etc
#23 - Davo
I get 1000fps with 40 AI with my 4ghz amd quad core nitrogen cooled 9000GTXO and 32x AA and AF.
Probably a very stupid question, but how do you guys get to race with 20+ AI? Can you change that somewhere?
Quote from Solidum[NL] :Probably a very stupid question, but how do you guys get to race with 20+ AI? Can you change that somewhere?

test patch, w17. see below us

(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG