Ice Skating...Oh god!
(34 posts, started )
Ice Skating...Oh god!
Hi!!, today I went to "Iceland" 'cuz I wanted to learn how to ice skate... oh hell its hard I didnt left the wall [For about 2 hours! lol] , I just went to the center when 2 of my mates grab my arms !!! xD
The last 30 minuttes were the best because I could do it quite fast but sudently I was kissing the Ice...

Do You have any tips?, What do you think about Ice skating, do you like it?? I like it but its hard for me...hehe

Bye!, Tips Please
i used to roller blade alot and the first time i went ice skating i had no problem with balance etc so i put it down to rollerblading....
get some roller blades n skate around the streets etc a bit you'll find it easier to balance next time ur on ice
Quote from SLIDE WAYZ :i used to roller blade alot and the first time i went ice skating i had no problem with balance etc so i put it down to rollerblading....
get some roller blades n skate around the streets etc a bit you'll find it easier to balance next time ur on ice

I have never use a rollerblade, I should try, Thx
Quote from SLIDE WAYZ :

NO!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!!

DO NOT roller blade around the streets until you can have some level of control!!!

Instead, skate around a park or somewhere where there is NO risk of suddenly finding that the braking system on roller blades is not quite the same as in a car or on a bicycle, usually discovered when you are heading for a bus at full speed!.
I am the kind of person that thinks, bollovks to it, I will rather be good at this, if not if will bring a smile to peoples faces

This was my attitude when it came to ice staking for the first time lmao.

I was actually very good, a few stumbles. Worst one was when I fell back, I didnt stumble, literally went arse over tit, just like in the cartons when the fall over a banana skin It hurt and 2 staff members come running (on ice...) with a first aid pack going are you OK?? I said, I'm fine...I dont know what you would do with that if i wasnt.
Quote from The General Lee :I am the kind of person that thinks, bollovks to it, I will rather be good at this, if not if will bring a smile to peoples faces

This was my attitude when it came to ice staking for the first time lmao.

I was actually very good, a few stumbles. Worst one was when I fell back, I didnt stumble, literally went arse over tit, just like in the cartons when the fall over a banana skin It hurt and 2 staff members come running (on ice...) with a first aid pack going are you OK?? I said, I'm fine...I dont know what you would do with that if i wasnt.

Lol man I fell back like that too! And now my elbow hurts a lot
Do you remember what it was like the first time you could swing on a, well, a swing by yourself without mommy or daddy pushing you?

Do you remember what it was like the first time you rode a bicycle all by yourself without Dad hanging on?

Ice skating is the same thing. You fall, you slip, you slide, you hurt, then all of a sudden, you are ice skating. The moment that time comes, you reflect back and wonder what it felt like to be so unstable and fall, slip, slide, and hurt.

I'm in the middle of this with my daughter and riding a bicycle. We go up and down the driveway with me hanging on to her. I know it won't be long until she "feels" the balance and takes off away from me riding all on her own. And from that moment, the feeling of being unbalanced on the bicycle will no longer be remembered and she will think "how in the world was I not able to do this." And she will also never forget how do ride a bicycle, just like you will never forget how to ice skate once you get the hang of it.

These things, the swinging on a swing, ice skating, and riding a bicycle, are very difficult to teach. You can't just say "this is how you do it" and they do it. You just need help staying up at first until you learn. Then you have learned to do it for the last time in your life.
Yep I understand Mike, Good luck there with Your daughter, take care of her if You dont want her to lose 14 hours of her life like me lol...

Quote from mrodgers :And she will also never forget how do ride a bicycle, just like you will never forget how to ice skate once you get the hang of it.

Good Toughts
#9 - EmilO
Ice skating.. it isn't that hard eh?

i use to ice skate when the lake has frozen, its really fun!
Oh well during summer i try to avoid roller hockey because it screws my ice skating (here we have a long stop, from may to september no ice!).
Anyway if you are patient i will try to search for some drills (ice drills).
Yes roller it's similar, but it's not the same thing and wont help you with feeling and using the edges. If you can dont do it. BUT... as you are learning maybe it's better than nothing!
If there are figure skating courses at your rink i suggest it to take it, i've started as figure skater then quickly bored; who want to skate in circle when you can plaster someone on the boards?
A good skating instructor it's unvaluable!
Meanwhile you can try to search on "usahockey" they have a huge drills video section, i bet there are also some videos on skating.
Learning to skate on ice it's a never ending businness, but if you apply, it will not take too much time to start enjoining skating and stop feeling fear of fall down!
But dont expect learn it in 5 minutes, it take times and patience!
Too bad ice rink has just closed otherwise i would have filmed some basic drills
Sorry for bad english!

Edit: i've searched on usahockey (http://edit.usahockey.com/usa_ ... ain_site/main/usa_hockey/)
but i cant find the drills video section, long time i dont visit the site, maybe you will be more lucky!
It took me a while to learn how to skate. I´m not very good at picking up new skills. At the beginning I thought I´d never make it but I did. There wasn´t any magic trick just practice-practice-practice.

I used to skate on the sea. I loved it when there was a week or so of sub-zero temperatures but no snow in the beginning of the winter. Then the whole sea would be covered with smooth glasslike ice like in a icerink. You could go on for miles, explore small islands and stuff. It was great. Although skating against the wind was a bitch, really hard work.

About rollerblading... I tried it once. Only once. I borrowed a friends rollerblades and tried it. It was slower than skating on the ice and when I tried to brake(iceskating style)... well I think you know what happened to me next... Lets just say it involved bleeding.
Both my younger brother and I ice skate, we live like 10 minutes from the skatting rink.

Its cool doing it with him cause we push each other to learn to tricks and techniques quickly.

We both used to do roller blading and skateboarding and the likes when we were younger, blessed with good balance i guess

But didnt really enjoy the blading, skating is definently much more fun, falls still hurt alot but atleast we dont have roasties for a week
Quote from Kalev EST :About rollerblading... I tried it once. Only once. I borrowed a friends rollerblades and tried it. It was slower than skating on the ice and when I tried to brake(iceskating style)... well I think you know what happened to me next... Lets just say it involved bleeding.

Now that is funny. I played ice hockey for years and years on the local frozen ponds. One day in the summer, when we played basketball nonstop instead of hockey, we were shooting some casual hoops in my bud's driveway when I saw a set of his rollerblades. I had never tried rollerblades and he said go for it. Exact same thing. I tried to stop and next they were ready to replenish my blood after they scraped me up, LOL.
Finally a thread that fits into something that I'm good at! Skating is actually quite easy once you get it, and the only way to get better is by doing it. Something that has helped my skating strides was actually officiating it for several years (and still am), and playing ice hockey I have some mad speed (like VTEC kicked in Ja!).
Quote from Bladerunner :NO!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!!

DO NOT roller blade around the streets until you can have some level of control!!!

Yup.

Actually learning skating first is safer. It's better to fall down on smooth ice than to eat tarmac. I learned the old fashioned way on a frozen pond. But with global warming and whatnot, that just isn't possible anymore.

And... hockey stops are so much cooler than using a wimpy little rubber heel brake.
I was skating in childhood. That time I could only accelerate, keep balance, but didn't bother even to learn to brake. Last winter I started it again. Just in few minutes I learned again to keep balance and not to fall on my back as many do. I always see people standing in a wrong way (vertically, on straight legs instead of bending a bit forward), with hands flapping back, trying to hold by air. Looks terrible.

So, I'm above the average amateur, but much beyond anyone who studied in hockey/figure skating groups.

I figured out a good scheme how to skate. It doesn't matter how often, but more frequency will improve the progress, of course. 2 hours of skating. The 1st out I just heat up and adjust to skating (even if I go skating as often as once a week), steadily remember all I can do and don't dare doing tricks that are extreme for me. Just slowly, carefully and not agressively. Then, as the machine restores the ice, I have a coffee brake. The second hour I try doing new things.

Last time we went skatign with friends in the end of may, we were in 10 and there were 5 among us who skated few times in their life. I made a special signs for them (for a joke). In English you say "dummy", in Russian we say "chAineek" (teapot). The sign was a black teapot in a red triangle. Some of them put it on with proudness.
iv been ice skating once in canada, i was pathetic at it, but i had a really stiff dead leg at the time, as id previously had a game of footie with some candaian people and it was a very rough game (one lad got taken away in an ambulance with broken leg) but even if id been ok i doubt id of been any better. id like to be able to do it though. plus i only had about 45 mnnits on the ice
Quote from Captain Slow :iv been ice skating once in canada, i was pathetic at it, but i had a really stiff dead leg at the time, as id previously had a game of footie with some candaian people and it was a very rough game (one lad got taken away in an ambulance with broken leg) but even if id been ok i doubt id of been any better. id like to be able to do it though. plus i only had about 45 mnnits on the ice

The first time I tried ice skating was when I moved over here from England. I've probably done it just a dozen times or so now, but I've never fallen over, just come very close many times. I used to rollerblade (and rollerskate back in the days before blades got big...) a lot which I'm sure helped me get into ice skating okay. I have also found my skiing experience has helped me with turns and stops when ice skating.

Funny you mentioned football (or soccer as I should probably call it now I'm over here!) being violent when you played in Canada. I have found the same thing too when playing with friends at school. It was very much okay to run straight into the guy with the ball and knock him over, or take out his ankles. I got so tired of avoiding getting body checked that I stopped playing with that group of friends. Now, I know it's not always like that, but it's interesting that we both had the same experience with casual games of footie having come from England. Maybe it's because hockey is so big here and some people think it's the same thing with a ball instead of puck!
Skating was one of those things that came naturally to me, eventually. It takes some getting used to, especially when you haven't done it in a while, though.

Maybe I'll get a new pair of skates and hit the rink this winter for a bit... It's been about 6 years since I last hit the ice.
I think I'll go to ice skate after this vacations. Maybe .
i was so lucky when i first went ice skating, i had been skiing, snowboarding, rollerblading/skating for years before i went. took a while to get used to it but when i did i found i quite easy really

now i go about once a week
Ice skating is just too easy once you learn it. I skate probably about 8 months of the year, every weekend for Playing Hockey, and officiating it. After you learn the basics of keeping balance, and stopping, you can then learn different ways of turning, and stopping, and making transitions from backwards to forwards in various ways without even thinking about it. I've skated for about.. 11 years myself (a few of those years on goalie skates, very very different edges and feel on them, not fun for any skating besides what a goaltender in hockey would do.) It's pretty much just practice, persistance, and training your brain to do what you think you can't do, and eventually you'll do something that you've thunk to be impossible without thinking about it.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Ice skating is just too easy once you learn it.

Yup, it's like riding a bike on 2 wheels. Once you learn, you will never forget.

The last time I rode a bike until recently was in high school. I'm on my 17th year out of high school now. I bought a bike to ride with my daughter. I just got on and rode. You don't forget.

Same with ice skating. I haven't done that in 17 years either. Though I haven't recently been on skates, I highly doubt I will have any trouble lacing them up and going out on the ice again any time I feel like it. In fact, I think I just may kill all the spiders that are now living in my skates, sharpen them up, and head out on the ice this coming up winter.
well all i can say is when your a ninja like me ice skating is easy ( it actually is , just do the opposite of what your feet legs and mind tell you what to do and you'll be skating in no time )
I learned how to skate when I was like, 7.

But I am Canadian..

Ice Skating...Oh god!
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG