The online racing simulator
why be so cocky? (The Interesting/OT Thread)
(128 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Burnzoire :what does the aussie do?

drink cold beer until the euros fall down? :P

Yeah, right

The aussie could keep the beer cold
Quote from StableX :totally see your point coop. I think most here are missing it!

hothead admins reacting too soon and not giving a driver a chance! See it way too often! It's a game admins, calm down or you wont get your head in the car!

Eh? I think you're in the wrong thread mate. This one's about forming an international drinking task force.
It's definitely better OT. But as a mostly non-drinker (i.e. I get drunk once a year, and most of the time am happy with a glass of wine or a SoCo and Lemonade) I can't really comment.

It does strike me that the Finns, Aussies and Brits are mostly in on this, which is surely strengthening some stereotypes...
#29 - Jakg
if we post on topic the thread gets locked!

Spam ftw!
Quote from tristancliffe :It's definitely better OT. But as a mostly non-drinker (i.e. I get drunk once a year, and most of the time am happy with a glass of wine or a SoCo and Lemonade) I can't really comment.

No worries. As chairman, my first motion will be to shorten the year, quite considerably, to allow you to enjoy a drink every couple of days. All those in favour?

Quote from Jakg :if we post on topic the thread gets locked!

I'm as confused as anybody. Moreso than most, usually. Sam's moderation style is certainly unique!
#31 - Jakg
Everything about Sam is unique - especially the server he uploads to

(For all you uninformed, UKCT changed to a different server and spent AGES trying to get some software (was it the STCC manager?) working, with Sam logged into the server via RDC, changing the settings as he asked - after about 2 HOURS of it not working Sam realised he was logged on to the old server :X)
#32 - SamH
Grr! Thanks Jakq! I do hate it when people move the goalposts! I should start drinking again. Some things just made more sense when I was ratted
Heheh, we've all done stuff like that in the past
#34 - Jakg
what, like your STCC fuel loads? :P

(To the uninformed - Sam keeps miscalculating fuel loads in the STCC, he's run out of fuel and retired and had to pit in another roung)
Quote from Jakg :UKCT changed to a different server and spent AGES trying to get some software (was it the STCC manager?) working, with Sam logged into the server via RDC, changing the settings as he asked - after about 2 HOURS of it not working Sam realised he was logged on to the old server

Ah I've done that, thinking I'm uploading to our development server when in fact I'm uploading to one of the production servers. Inevitably it's only when I get completely frustrated at not seeing my changes and start inserting mountains of printed foul language that I realise my mistake, by which point a number of our clients' websites are telling their customers to go **** themselves...
Quote from thisnameistaken :No worries. As chairman, my first motion will be to shorten the year, quite considerably, to allow you to enjoy a drink every couple of days. All those in favour?

As ...what?

You are the secretary or a nurse.

I'm teh president

Hankstar will make coffee and keep our beers cold, TAA will, ehm, and SamH will not take care of our servers. All the rest can come watch telly with me

Quote from Jakg :(For all you uninformed, UKCT changed to a different server and spent AGES trying to get some software (was it the STCC manager?) working, with Sam logged into the server via RDC, changing the settings as he asked - after about 2 HOURS of it not working Sam realised he was logged on to the old server :X)

Haha, classic
#37 - SamH
OMG! TFFT! I thought I was the only person who ever did that!! OMG I've made some messes in the past, on some fairly prominent websites
#38 - SamH
I had my first motion of the day a couple of hours ago, so I'm ahead.

What does teh presidents of teh intarnets watch on telly?
Quote from Hyperactive :As ...what?

You are the secretary or a nurse.

I'm teh president

As chairman, my second motion will be to seek out anyone who might stand in opposition and crush them like little bugs. All those in favour?
Quote from SamH :I had my first motion of the day a couple of hours ago, so I'm ahead.

What does teh presidents of teh intarnets watch on telly?

LFS onboard videos. Sometimes the 11th thousandth lap at AS3 with FZR onboard get a bit repetitive so we put the chat box temporarily on and watch it as parody

@Kev. You already wrote that down?
I seem to have some some holes in my memory. I don't see any Vodka bottles on the floor but I do not remember starting this thread.
How does the aussies keep the beer cold?

Do they breath ice cubes? If they do, I want one!

edit.

Deggis you obviously turn in to a crazy cleaning maniac when you get drunk and get rid off the evidence.
Quote from SamH :OMG! TFFT! I thought I was the only person who ever did that!! OMG I've made some messes in the past, on some fairly prominent websites

Oh I've got a few other tricks up my sleeve. Another favourite of mine is to try to make a copy of an installation for development purposes, but get the args for the copy command in the wrong order and completely nuke everything.
#45 - SamH
Quote from deggis :I seem to have some some holes in my memory. I don't see any Vodka bottles on the floor but I do not remember starting this thread.

Tsk! The problem with vodka is it doesn't really smell of anything. Hope you get your memory back some day
Quote from thisnameistaken :Oh I've got a few other tricks up my sleeve. Another favourite of mine is to try to make a copy of an installation for development purposes, but get the args for the copy command in the wrong order and completely nuke everything.

My favourite in ASP is definitely the absolute file location trick. You can refer to a file by either "C:\website\directory\file.txt" or you can refer to it as the server variable server.MapPath("/directory/file.txt"). One is a relative location, and the other has BIGGGGGG ramifications between the production and development sites on a single box
#46 - SamH
Quote from SamH :My favourite in ASP is definitely the absolute file location trick. You can refer to a file by either "C:\website\directory\file.txt" or you can refer to it as the server variable server.MapPath("/directory/file.txt"). One is a relative location, and the other has BIGGGGGG ramifications between the production and development sites on a single box

We came up with a great cock-up that later became known as "Schrodinger's Code" a while back, following a particularly disastrous upgrade cycle where thanks to fancy caching everything appeared to have worked fine, but the act of opening records for editing would sometimes destroy them, sometimes not.
Quote from SamH :Bahhh! I was gonna let him keep thinking someone spiked his coffee

Sorry, I cant see sober finnish men suffer from a bad memory.

You can still just delete the other thread and make me look like an idiot, too.
#49 - SamH
Quote from thisnameistaken :

We came up with a great cock-up that later became known as "Schrodinger's Code" a while back, following a particularly disastrous upgrade cycle where thanks to fancy caching everything appeared to have worked fine, but the act of opening records for editing would sometimes destroy them, sometimes not.

Oooh I like that one! Within the UKCT bunch, we have our own Schrodinger. Our friend Adrian has such a propensity for simple goofs that we discovered his own Windows account on his PC was "Adrain" instead of "Adrian". Thus, all screw-ups I make are conveniently referred to as "Adrains".
Quote from zeugnimod :Sorry, I cant see sober finnish men suffer from a bad memory.

Fair enough! It's probably bad enough simply to find yourself waking up in this thread
Quote from Jakg :if we post on topic the thread gets locked!

Spam ftw!

That is a keeper
This thread is closed

why be so cocky? (The Interesting/OT Thread)
(128 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG