The online racing simulator
#51 - Mykl
Yeah... but when you hear a word or read a word being used with a negative slant over and over again, eventually your perception of it becomes warped.

There are plenty of words that have been turned into racial slurs. The words themselves may seem innocent enough, but if society's perception of the word has been warped to expect it to be used negatively it's really difficult to use it otherwise.
Quote from Mykl :Yeah... but when you hear a word or read a word being used with a negative slant over and over again, eventually your perception of it becomes warped.

Words change meaning that way. There are quite a few historical examples in English, and quite a few linguistic snobs who still insist on applying the former meaning of a word and browbeating those who use the more modern one.
Miles ya noob... stop spending all ya time on the forum and do some racing

btw, Hows ya mum, not heard from her in a while.
Well, personally, like any1 really, I do get pissed when I'm behind some1 and they don't let me past easily and calmly. Some really try and race with me and this just angers me. Sometimes, I notice that one of the things that is very important for any newcomer to any sim is to use mirrors and the look left and right buttons because I often meet racers who go off the track and are far behind in terms of positions and I come along flying, cant get the car to do what I want it too and smack into them causing bad damage for myself and him and then the people who piss me off even more are those that actually have the nerve to complain and say it was my fault that I hit them . I like helping out new people as how I was treated when I first bought LFS. People were nice to me and helped out when I needed either setups or driving tips so I like to do the same for those who are new as I'm now an experienced racer. Generally, I find those who keep saying "OMG! what a f*ckin NOOB!" and stuff of the sort, they're much worse than a very inexperienced LFS player. I mean, really, who do they think they are?
1. by not opening threads like this one
Quote from Leprekaun :I come along flying, cant get the car to do what I want it too and smack into them causing bad damage for myself and him and then the people who piss me off even more are those that actually have the nerve to complain and say it was my fault that I hit them

Well... If you read your post one more time, you actually say it yourself...
@hyperactive

Quote from Hyperactive :It is Kev's fault that we are off-topic, so we might as well keep on going

The FXO is a FWD car. That basically means that it is impossible to spin with too much throttle. It is also a lot easier to blabla blabla blablabla bla bla-blablablabla
I just find it boring and repetitive Luckily the W9 patch game me finally the incentive to learnt he XRT properly. With preload it is just a great piece to drive, so controllable and still needs to be tidy to go fast

H. Active
-----------
Dedicated FXO hater
90210 Beverly hills

bla and still ill pwn your arse with FXO. 111111!!!!!!

back to topic though . i dont think ive ever told anyone they had blueflag unless i was admining a rough LFS session . Guess i had somthing instilled into me at a young age, respect. This is what drew me into LFS (along with a difficulty i hadnt experienced since Papyrus's GPL.

Best thing a new racer can do is seek advice and listen & learn & watch, worst thing they can do is try and race at speeds of which they cannot handle(or should i say handle the braking) and then have audacity to blame others or even worse reach for the ban/kick button . TBH i think its a duty of all experienced LFS'ers to show the new guys the way to go and how to drive. (If a servers quiet and im with some new guy i'll offer tips etc get them to watch a lap and vice versa) if nobody shows then how would we expect them behave? My first tutors as far as i can remember were some of my current teammates, Doorman, AR-JJ & Gunja & AR-Goran platinum pete and everyone else who frequented dMr wayback when (happy days)

My advice is to:

1> go on established servers ( not to busy)
2> learn the car (dont keep chqanging the set stick to one and get so comfortable with car and set you are able to predict its character and performance
3> learn the track slowly at first , get a feel for both (2 & 3), then start to pick the pace
4> Ask if its quiet, if there is a fast racer around if he can run a few laps to see if there are any lines or manouveres you may not be aware of that could benefit your ability.
5>Respect the road and the racers

keep to 1 2 3 5 (4 is important but down to person(s) )
and you soon loose the feeling of being a n00b
Quote from Storm_Cloud :The jump start rule is going to cause whole new annoying behaviour from both rookies and seasoned pros alike.

Last night I was on a race where one person false started. For the next three laps he constantly voted to restart and spammed the chat with the usual rubbish.

He was an experienced, fast racer, but not a good LFS citizen.

I don't stand for that on my servers. If someone repeatedly votes restart when it is obvious no one else wants to I ask them politely to stop and point out that poeple are racing. If they continue it's "bye bye dickhead".

I also treat "blue flag" spammers with the same utter contempt.
Quote from atledreier :Well... If you read your post one more time, you actually say it yourself...

Erm... I'm not sure what you're talking about. All I'm saying that people need to have better track awareness when returning to the track, thats all. I don't intentionally try and bump inexperienced LFS players off the track, its just an accident where I cant do anything about it. I'm the kind of guy who I don't lash out at others for doing it, I just ask nicely if they can be more careful in future, thats all. I don't go shouting at them telling them that they're sh*t or anything like that. I used to lash out, I admit, but now I'm different
Quote :I have the exact same wheel (gameport version) and run XP with SP2. The pedals work fine, save for the fact that the connection into the wheel gets a bit dodgy seeing as it's so old, I had to slightly bend the pins with a screwdriver so that they made contact again, but after that the pedals worked again.

Thanks Becky there may be hope yet then

My problem seems to be the brake Pedal as it's all or nothing like one big dead zone, Throttle pedal seems much better but because of it's age it maybe knackered as it was given to me by a friend - the connector to the wheel on mine is an S Video connector the small round 5 pin type.

Not all bad though as it gives very good Force Feedback what puzzles me a little though is that on LFS settings I have to have FF as low as 10 - 20% out of 200% any higher and the wheel would give me arm pump Especially in the GTR cars
Quote from Leprekaun :Erm... I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Quote :... I come along flying, cant get the car to do what I want it too and smack into them ...

I'm talking about you saying you're not leaving enough of an edge in your driving for unforeseen events like a car rejoining the track. Very very often these events are avoidable. I can't remember the last time I hit someone like that. Then again, I can't remember the last time I was anywhere near the front of a race either. Might be a connection there..
People grow some balls, admittedly BlackSheep has only been here for a short while but what he does speak some truth.

Points 1-3-5 are all perfectly valid and true, go check out the teams section and witness a new team is born every day or so.

MIRACLE TEAMS, VIRGIN CHILD, THESE IMMORTAL TEAMS ROAM THE EARTH FOR ONLY A DAY :bowdown:

As for people not apologizing when they've caused an accident, I don't really care for it any more but that's not to say it doesn't happen. I remember not long ago being called a stupid noob from a guy with less then 5000 miles for overtaking on the outside of oval and him driving up into me.

But thats not to say all beginners are misguided and have no idea what they are doing, we all start from ground zero and some of us (not me) have a clean reputation so the LFS community cant be all that bad at welcoming new drivers can it?
If I see someone crashing a lot or having trouble with their car I will send them my setup, and if I have the time spectate them and tell them what gear to take the turns in. Usually that sort of thing is enough to take a backmarker up to the middle of the pack within a few hours.

It does however get frustrating when people who clearly cannot handle the car join a large server and ruin it for everyone, then don't listen to peoples advice to practice offline. When someone says 'go practice offline' they are not saying 'your crap go away' they are saying go practice offline on an empty track where theres no pressure of being lapped, once you get used to the car offline then come back and race us. Its better for everyone that way.

As for the forums all you need to do is use the Search function, if you think of a question always search for it first.
#64 - Mykl
Quote from atledreier :I'm talking about you saying you're not leaving enough of an edge in your driving for unforeseen events like a car rejoining the track. Very very often these events are avoidable. I can't remember the last time I hit someone like that. Then again, I can't remember the last time I was anywhere near the front of a race either. Might be a connection there..

Do you mean when a yellow flag is shown? Because otherwise I'm going to be pushing my car as hard as my skill allows, and at that point if somebody just flys out in front of me out of nowhere I'm screwed. I will prepare myself for pretty much anything when a yellow is out.
There are good and horrible 'noobs'. There are great fast drivers and then there are people with few skills who can do little more than put together a fast lap, given a clean track.

It's basic human nature that makes people idiots ( or not ), not necessarily just experience or lack of it.

The stunning lack of knowledge as to how to make a proper pass is
the thing that really gets on my nerves of late.

I'd rather deal with passing a 'blue flagged noob' than have to constantly watch my mirrors and wonder if some idiot 6 cars back will interpret my braking move towards the apex as his opportunity carry 150 miles through the hairpin as his big moment to shine.

The unskilled fast lappers, or "FLOOBS", ruin races as often as the really idiotic noob driving around at 1/4th speed and using 4 lines at the same time. Maybe noobs graduate to floobs ?

We can at least be thankful that LFS isn't victem to the cheats and hacks
so many online games are riddled with. I hope S3 final never comes -it's good having the devs actively involved.
I guess some things will never change. Look at the standard of driving on our roads. Most people really have very little awareness of the cars around them. People who sit at traffic lights for 3 seconds after they've gone green so that everyone more than one car behind has to wait for the whole phase all over again. People who drive in the middle lane of the motorway at all times regardless of speed or traffic. People who position their cars poorly, make misleading indicator signals, drive at 23mph in a 30, 40 or 50mph zone. I could go on lol.

Actually, considering all this we got it pretty good in LFS lol.
#67 - Mykl
I like coming across drivers as new as me who actually care more about racing and proper track etiquette than getting an uber fast lap time by the end of the race.

I was behind a guy last night on a demo server that I was certainly faster than, but I was having a hard time getting around him. It took me a couple of laps to get a good run on him going up the straight after turn one so I could cleanly get around him. But up to that point I had made a few failed passing attempts, one of which had us driving side by side through turn four, with him pulling away through turn five because I plowed wide from holding too much speed.

After we were done racing he jokingly said I was toying with him and I found out he had only been playing for five days. I told him I hadn't been playing for much longer and that it seems that he's got a good grasp of how to handle himself in a race situation.

To me that's what this game is all about. Getting faster and faster lap times is all good and everything, but I have the most fun when I'm trying to figure out how to execute a proper pass, or when I'm doing everything I can to hold on to my position against a faster driver.
Totally agree with that. I'm the same - not that fast but I can still take wins and podiums anyway. Whenever you see the results list at the end of the race my fastest lap is sure to be slower than 3 or 4 blokes who finished behind me. That's very satisfying.
It's definatly a case of a few bad apples (on both sides) spoiling things for everyone.

Unfortunatly the biggest idiots also usually have the biggest mouths and
the shortest tempers.
Quote :
Unfortunately the biggest idiots also usually have the biggest mouths and
the shortest tempers

Yes I Agree but nature in its wisdom gives them an attention span to match there temper, racing becomes boring much quicker for them.
Er, you can spam blue flag?
As an official BackMarker I know that I'm not as fast as the frontrunners,
but I find it really rude when a faster person coming up behind me yells at me Get out of my way via hot key. I paid for my sS2 license as much as them.
As long as I hold a predictable and reasonably fast line, it is their responsibilty to pass me. When I enter a server where it's obvious people have been racing for a lot of sets, I'll drop back at the start and let everyone pass. That way I'm not the meat in the middle of a T1 sandwich, then I can make my way up the field at my own pace and comfort level.. Iv'e had some fun, close racing and It's been no where near the front of the pack. But that's ok with me. There's nothing like road racing..
1. Constantly asking for a setup during a race -- This is severely annoying. Just don't do it. And if you do ask for a setup, do it politely (and after the race).

oh i did that a couple of times but no more and the blue flag one i have done that but it's going down the straight in blackwood i normally try and slow down and let them pass maybe ease of the accelrator instead of braking suddenly but if's corners i normally go around it at normal speed then on the straight i slow otherwise i end up in the grass on in the car who is passing as you said

also i would like to add one

LEARN TO TURN THE PIT SPEED LIMITER OFF WHEN YOU ENTER THE TRACK I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE DRIVING THE FCKING RACING LINE BLOCKING THE RACE TRACK GOING AT 80KM AND ASKING HOW CAN YOU GO SO FAST

stupid people turn it off and pitting one hundred times and wondering why it still doesn't turn off is just stupid

get some brains
[quote= Unfortunatly the biggest idiots also usually have the biggest mouths and
the shortest tempers.[/quote]

yes this is very true and despite what i say on the forum i am a very quiet driver i don't even say "hi" anymore other people do it anyway
Quote from BlackSheep720 :Hello Noobs! (That's not meant in a bad way)

In my days as a noob, I admit that I angered some people. Now as more of a seasoned player than a noob, it's the noobs that are angering me; now, with the popularity of LFS rising, swarms of noobs are infecting the servers, and the tension between seasoned and new S2 users is increasing exponentially. Although I may not be the best racer, I've picked up on a few key things that really seem to set off the seasoned players (they set me off, too). Noobs, pay close attention; it could mean the difference between being accepted and being rejected. I will continue to add to the list should a new item come up. Note that the items are in no particular order; they are not organized according to severity.

1. Constantly asking for a setup during a race -- This is severely annoying. Just don't do it. And if you do ask for a setup, do it politely (and after the race).

2. Asking for extraneous add-ons in the forum (i.e dedicated drift tracks, body kits)
-- All the seasoned veterans are tired of this. LFS is for pure racing, and we don't wanna change that.

3. Not saying sorry after wrecking the field at T1; rather, you shift-s and continue like nothing happened -- It surprises me what little class some racers have. If you wreck the field, how about lay out for the rest of the race to show you're sorry?

4. Deciding to go "off roading" if you get a blue flag -- This is a minor annoyance in most cases; however, I may berate you if you end up sliding, out of control, back on to the track and wreck the person who was trying to pass you.

5. At the demo users - Treating the demo like it's a full game, makin' teams (clans too lol), demanding features, etc. -- You got the game for free, OK? Be thankful that the devs decided to increase your server limits. Feel free to try out the game but don't expect to get S2 treatment.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Oh yeah, one last thing: Don't turn this into a flame war. Please keep it calm.

How can you claim things like this? after seeing your stats i really dont believe your a seasoned lfs driver, 7 online wins?

Travelled distance:9297 KmFuel burnt:2432 LtrLaps:1888Hosts joined:285Races won:7Second:13Third:13Finished:240Qualifications:5Pole Positions:0Drags / Wins:17 / 3
Ive been reading these forums for quite some time, i rarely post and this is the first time of written anything thats close to a flame(is it? im not sure)

but after sussing out some of your other posts from other threads, i have to say something!

Quote from BlackSheep720 :s2 racers = racers
demo racers = drifters

ironic, eh? i'd say that at least 80-85% of demo racers dedicate their time to drifting. i personally hate drifting, a childish and barbaric pastime

:bananalla:bananalla:bananalla Oh no! Here come the flaming banana warriors, astride their green blob animals!

Perhaps it would be an idea to win some races before declaring your self a seasoned expert on the game and telling other drivers how it is..

everything you've enlightened us to im sure has been said numerous times before but there are always gonna be "noobs" that will make mistakes.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG