Is this possible? [smart clutch button]
What I want to do, is make my gear levers/buttons behave slightly differently. When i press the button in, it should engage the clutch and change gear. When I release the button, it should disengage the clutch. Why? For one, it would work well with the new start system in test patch w9. At the start you would hold the gear up button down and rev, then release the button on the green light to simulate dropping the clutch/using launch control. I've seen a similar control system before, a long time ago. It'd be very useful for those without a clutch, and more realistic than starting a race in neutral (unless I'm misinformed?).

So can I script this at all? Is it worth it?
It is possible to do. After all it's only binding a key to an action but you need to made it.

Script like that were made before (a program that modify the behaviour of a bind). Like the one wich switch the light on (first press) then switch it off (second press). More advanced script where made for the "City like" servers, especially for the cops who have to press ligth+horn+warning light keys what was quiet hard. Now all these action are activated / desactivated with only one keypress.

Unfortunatly i didn't bookmarked the topic wich talked about it bu use the holy Search button and you'll surely find these scripts.
Since I don't have a clutch pedal, I really would like to assign a button to engage clutch to the threshold to change a gear. That way I can shift even faster.
Ok thanks I'll have a look around... but do you see any problems with this if it were to become a default action of the gear lever when not using a clutch pedal? Seems like a better option than having a seperate button for clutch, as it seems a bit overkill for something that's not even modelled properly.
actually thats the way it worked prior to patch u-something
assigning /exec script to one paddle and having /press clutch /press gearup (not sure if those are the actual commands ... is there a list of script commands somehwere ?) in the script should work
#6 - Iron
Quote from Shotglass :is there a list of script commands somehwere ?

lfs\docs\commands.txt if I remember correctly.
I just use the Gear Paddle on the oposite side to my gear stick for clutch. I take it you dont have paddle shifts + gear stick? Works well for me.
Quote from Burnzoire :What I want to do, is make my gear levers/buttons behave slightly differently. When i press the button in, it should engage the clutch and change gear. When I release the button, it should disengage the clutch. Why? For one, it would work well with the new start system in test patch w9. At the start you would hold the gear up button down and rev, then release the button on the green light to simulate dropping the clutch/using launch control. I've seen a similar control system before, a long time ago. It'd be very useful for those without a clutch, and more realistic than starting a race in neutral (unless I'm misinformed?).

So can I script this at all? Is it worth it?

GTL/GTR use the very same system, such a system would help out those who do not have clutch pedals, I for one would be VERY interested about this
I drive with autoclutch, but I still find that clutch is an important thing to have on the wheel so I just rev in 1st gear and release clutch button when lights go green.
Quote :made by Vain

The clutchstart-script.

This script will make a button on your controller turn your brake pedal (or any axis) into a clutch and disable autoclutch. Upon the second button press the axis works as a brake again and autoclutch is restored. This can be used to launch the car with a manual clutch and to switch back to the normal two-pedal setup once you're at a higher speed.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=185061#post185061

Better idea... this script should be integrated to LFS by default, Genious Smart Clutch Button(tm) or something. It basicly gives everyone (who has only 2 pedals) temporarily a clutch pedal. No more button clutches at start. Amazing huh?

edit
Quote from deggis :Better idea... this script should be integrated to LFS by default, Genious Smart Clutch Button(tm) or something. It basicly gives everyone (who has only 2 pedals) temporarily a clutch pedal. No more button clutches at start. Amazing huh?

edit

Finaly it's right, there is only a few user who have a special clutch pedal. So i think this idea should be post into the suggestion forum. A lot of people will surely like the idea to have a virtual clutch axis added to there pedal.
Quote from shadow2kx :Finaly it's right, there is only a few user who have a special clutch pedal.

A few? Uhhhh...no. A lot of people have the G25 or other three pedal setups.

Even if you don't have three pedals, it's easy to setup a button clutch using a few wood scraps and an old USB gamepad. Put it down next to your brake pedal and it's nearly as good as having an axis clutch.
mmm I think you guys are missing the point. I don't want a seperate button for clutch, as it's useless as a button. Nor do I want to share a pedal/analog stick with a toggle button.. nice idea but a bit odd if you ask me.

It's good to know there is a sim that uses the system I described, perhaps I'll play around with scripts and if I'm successful I'll release it to all interested.

Just to recap, it'll work like this:

gear button press: +clutch, shift up/down
gear button release: -clutch

pretty simple, but very effective as it allows normal gear shifting and the ability to drop the clutch for starts. Most importantly, it saves you needing an extra button.

oh and to the person who says a lot of people use the g25.... put it in perspective mate, they're in a massive minority. Also, not everyone actually wants to rig up their office/bedroom with pedals and wheels... I personally enjoy sitting back with an analogue gamepad to race. Sure, I have gadgets everywhere for my flight sims, but I take those a bit more seriously :P

thanks for the replies
Quote from Burnzoire :oh and to the person who says a lot of people use the g25.... put it in perspective mate, they're in a massive minority.

I'd love to see some statistics on this. Of the racers that I personally know, only ONE has a two pedal setup. Everyone else has a G25 or other three pedal setup.

Quote :Sure, I have gadgets everywhere for my flight sims, but I take those a bit more seriously :P

Some of us take our racing just as seriously, and don't want to deal with arcadey limitations.
but why are you arguing with me anyway? I just want to have a script, I've said nothing about limiting those with G25s :S You've got your clutch pedal, what's the problem??

Anyway... I just had a read through the programmer's forum and test patch threads and I'm starting to think that what I want isn't possible. There doesn't appear to be seperate press/release events for buttons... perhaps if my controller can asign different buttons to the press and release of a button then yes, I could do it... but otherwise I don't think it's possible.

This should probably be moved to the programmers forum :S I'd love to hear scawen's thoughts on this.
unless simply assigning the clutch and shift up commands to a single button will simulate this? as shift up is an instant command, and clutch is a momentary command and will automatically disengage the clutch when the button is released?
I've got clutch bound to the top-left button on the wheel when I used to use the Logi MOMO Racing wheel. But now that I've got G25 I don't exactly have to worry about it.
If I remember correctly LFS used to use the exact system you describe, where the clutch disengages whilst you're holding the shift button.

There was a time when people wrote macros to change gears and perform the clutch in one fast action (quicker than could be done with a pedal), this "macro-clutching" was banned in the more pro-orientated leagues and may be the reason why it's changed now.
that's a pity

I had a go at scripting it but with no luck... I couldn't figure out how to get the clutch to be assigned to the same button as the gear shift without it simply being a /press, which meant the clutch wouldn't stay down long enough to shift.

Is it worth pursuing this in the programmer forum?
Look for a little proggie called joy2key, you can assign letter c to keypressesand thats your clutch, as long as you hold the lever (or gearshift button). No programming, just findind the right button.

Must be in the forum somewhere, this was discussed long before. The only downside is if you shift too quick, you'll miss the shift.
thanks ellis!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG