The online racing simulator
STCC and patch W9
(64 posts, started )
Currently qualification is done by heat races and in the last heat race the cars are grouped by car class with the slowest first, this creates a slightly jumbled grid with the faster guys at the front and the slower at the back, but with more of the slowest class toward the front and the quicker class toward the back.

This creates some exciting broadcasts as the faster cars try and find their natural position.

In a race with qualifying the faster car is at the front, and it just pulls away. What I was mockingly describing to Victor there, is that some other means of messing the grid up a little bit is likely to be employed still, so that we dont loose this exciting element of the broadcast.

I can say that next race broadcast (after round 7 coming out Monday/Tuesday), Blackwood RallyX, is going to be on the current patch because of logistical reasons. However Fern Bay Green i'm really not sure on, we may have a totally revised qualifying format, we may use the old patch for now whilst we figure out whats right, or we might have a variation or even identical system to what we have now - I really dont know.

Patches and game updates have proven to be something of a blind point of consideration in a year long series...
To be quite honest, I wouldn't use W9. Yes, the new features are fantastic, but it is a test patch after all, and apparently quite buggy too. Once Scawen has fixed the random false start detections, I see much more sense in using whatever W version it is then, but not before. On the general question on whether to use the new features or not... I don't really see anything gained by delaying what will come sooner or later anyway. Shrug
#28 - SamH
While I absolutely 100% agree with you, Android.. just can't help it.. must be on the leading edge, not the bleeding edge Wink
I may delay because currently we have our own balancing system in place and it will need revision - we're in the situation now where we have 28 driver slots, and 30 drivers, where before we had heats that gave everyone a good night racing before the feature race, now we are left wondering what to do about the heats? Do we remove the balancing, and if so what do we do about jumbling the grid up abit or do we turn STCC into Formula One and have the guy at the front after qualifying run away with it... To me, there are very good reasons not to use the new patch just yet, until we can see what effect the TBO adjustments have had.

For us, as we use shorter tracks, the RB4 is faster than the XRT at almost all the tracks we use. We've just found out that the XRT is now slower...

There's lots to get right before we use the new patch, and that's all i'm saying. We might not migrate yet.
When the STCC does finally switch over to W9 (or the latest patch at the time) does that mean space will be open in the league? If so, I suppose there will be another qualifying event for the league.

Sorry if this has been asked, but I'm not quite up to reading a page of reply's at this time of the night.
I think there'll be a fair bit of work to do before there's any worry about more drivers. Smile
#32 - Jakg
it might do, it might not, we'd need a lot more drivers (because atm there are 30, so that about 23 turn up and about 3 don't qualify for the feature race), plus as Becky tries to get good quality real time recording out of LFS, she's already had to use 1024 skins rather than the 2048's to keep the FPS up, so adding more cars might prove a problem. Also, we've yet to see how competitors machines work with the 28 cars - for example some people have problems with 20 cars as it is, how do you think the 27 racers that could at maximum (remember the safety car!) be on the starting line would do to someones FPS?

EDIT - i think it will probably (if the situation were to arise) be offered to the STCC Titanium license holders first, and then if more places were required to do it with the qualification event method
#33 - Iron
Quote from Becky Rose :STCC2 will be upgraded to W9 (or whatever replaces it) next week

Seems like i got my silver licence just in time. Smile Thanks for the STCC servers Becky, and all involved! Thumbs up
Uhmm maybe you should encrese number of drivers now to 45. 15 per class.

And best 27 are in feature race. And there will still be heat races. So by this way STCC will have more drivers in league and in race. It could be more interesting whit more cars. Wink
maybe, i'll experiment with my LOD settings and a 30 odd car field as soon as i've finished the R7 broadcast. Remember I have to fraps the output, so it might slow down too much.
Ah come on, just set the LOD to minimum. It's not like many people will notice that the cars are now 20-polygon boxes Big grin
#37 - SamH
Most of the full-grid footage I ever shoot is recorded at half speed, and bumped up 2x in Vegas. My processor can't hack a full grid AND fraps Smile
Quote from SamH :Most of the full-grid footage I ever shoot is recorded at half speed, and bumped up 2x in Vegas. My processor can't hack a full grid AND fraps Smile

I was trying to do that once, but the sound was still played at the original 0.5 speed, am i really such a noob that I didn't find how to speed up the sound as well?
Quote from csurdongulos :I was trying to do that once, but the sound was still played at the original 0.5 speed, am i really such a noob that I didn't find how to speed up the sound as well?

My version of LFS cuts the sound when replaying at anything other than normal speed - I think it's been doing that since version V or so - doesn't everybody's do that?
#40 - Jakg
only at a speed higher than 1 (ie 2 to 32), as speeds between 1 and .25 it plays sound, just at a lower pitch
Premier, autodub and various other tools offer the facility to change the pitch or not when adjusting playback speed, I should think Vegas does this too, although i've no idea where.
#42 - SamH
Quote from csurdongulos :I was trying to do that once, but the sound was still played at the original 0.5 speed, am i really such a noob that I didn't find how to speed up the sound as well?

See attachment Smile
Quote from thisnameistaken :My version of LFS cuts the sound when replaying at anything other than normal speed - I think it's been doing that since version V or so - doesn't everybody's do that?

Mine cuts when playing faster than normal speed, but at 0.5x and 0.25x, the audio is there Shrug
Attached images
pitchsetting.gif
Yes, originally when the new sound system was introduced it only played the sound at 1.0x speed, but then Scawen discovered that it's easy to play it slower, so he added that back in one of the later test patches. Playing sound faster causes problems with the sound buffering, though, so that is still not possible.
Quote from SamH :Mine cuts when playing faster than normal speed, but at 0.5x and 0.25x, the audio is there Shrug

Ah, maybe mine's the same. I can't remember if it does it when running slower.
#45 - SamH
Quote from thisnameistaken :Ah, maybe mine's the same. I can't remember if it does it when running slower.

I'm glad it cuts when you press fastforward. I can imagine watching a replay, finding the action on lap 40 that you want to grab with fraps, and being able to hear nothing but the sound of lots of distant dogs barking. Tilt
Quote from SamH :See attachment Smile

thanks, is that vegas, though? doesn't look familiar Smile anyways, I would have never found out that would speed up the sound as well, so thx a lot.
The way to speed up audio in Vegas, is if you click the audio...Hold control and drag it. Make it shorter to speed it up, make it longer to make it, uh, longer.
#48 - SamH
Quote from csurdongulos :thanks, is that vegas, though? doesn't look familiar Smile anyways, I would have never found out that would speed up the sound as well, so thx a lot.

Yep, it's Vegas 7.0b, on the Options menu Smile
Quote from mcintyrej :The way to speed up audio in Vegas, is if you click the audio...Hold control and drag it. Make it shorter to speed it up, make it longer to make it, uh, longer.

That's how you stretch or shrink, but the pitch option needs disabling, per the image I attached, if you want the pitch to change as you do so. Smile
Quote from Becky Rose :maybe, i'll experiment with my LOD settings and a 30 odd car field as soon as i've finished the R7 broadcast. Remember I have to fraps the output, so it might slow down too much.

But will you keap racing only whit your 30 drivers whitout heats. Or whit 45 (or how many) whit new heats?
with this new patch will it make me lag ?i have an avg fps of 50/60 ?
thanks

STCC and patch W9
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG