The online racing simulator
4x4's
(101 posts, started )
Quote from duke_toaster :Jeeps suck, Land Rovers are better

What kind of jeep are you talking about? The legendary willys? The modern hard core off-roading legends known as the Wrangler Rubicons with Dana 44 (aka extra-extra beefy) axles? Or the sick joke known as the Jeep commander that runs on 1$ shocks?

Which kind of Land rover? The legendary Range Rovers? The super high tech range Rover Sport that actually works OFF-road? Or the legendary defenders of old with their legendary appetite for drive belts?
How many times can one person use the word legendary in one post!!! What you need is a book entitled 'Superlatives for the uneducated'
Quote from tristancliffe :How many times can one person use the word legendary in one post!!! What you need is a book entitled 'Superlatives for the uneducated'

Some of us have better things to do than scanning a thesaurus for superlatives. EBesides, what's wrong with calling real life legends legendary?

Well, people could be more specific when they generallize entire brands of cars to be superior/inferior in some way.

You have obviously not driven a proper Jeep Wrangler offroad. Fair point, Land Rovers are awesome too. Plus they are seemingly unbreakable

You do know that the Land Rover is a copy of the Willys Jeep?

But nowadays the Land Rovers are the only vehicles capable of off-roading bone stock.
Quote from March Hare :But nowadays the Land Rovers are the only vehicles capable of off-roading bone stock.

Rubbish, Toyota HiLux, Suzuki Jimny, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Ram 4x4 ... just off the top of my head, those are capable off-roaders right off the showroom floor. Most of the flash SUVs can run off road just fine, its just that people don't.
Hilux has IFS and has leafs on the rear. Forgot Jimmy, sorry. Jeep is scraping plastic and chrome on the rocks. Dodge Ram gets high centered and uses leafs on the rear and the 1/2 tonner has IFS.

Man I would almost kill for a 300tdi defender 90. Maybe I should move to Scotland...

Edit: Maybe you are thinking about greenlaning? For that all of them will do. But driving seriously off-road needs a solid front axle for starters.
Quote from March Hare :Hilux has IFS and has leafs on the rear. Forgot Jimmy, sorry. Jeep is scraping plastic and chrome on the rocks. Dodge Ram gets high centered and uses leafs on the rear and the 1/2 tonner has IFS.

Man I would almost kill for a 300tdi defender 90. Maybe I should move to Scotland...

Edit: Maybe you are thinking about greenlaning? For that all of them will do. But driving seriously off-road needs a solid front axle for starters.

But for the amount of money a Luxury car Land Rover can be had for (they are luxury vehicles over here, leather in an off-road truck??? Land Rover, give me a break...), you can have any of those other 4x4's and all the mods you want for off-roading. A Toyota Hilux fitted with lockers front and rear and a Marlin Crawler dual transfer case with 4:70 gears in both t-cases? Will run you a few extra thousand USD and no one will touch you with that setup. Wouldn't matter what suspension you have, as long as you have one tire touching .

What I'm curious is if the Toyota Hilux is still the late 80's, early 90's truck or is it the same as the Tacoma? I would kill to get a hold of a brand new Hilux. Best vehicle I ever owned was my '89 Toyota Hilux (was a pickup truck in the US, perhaps the Hilux is something different elsewhere).
But, in an offroad test on 5th gear, a Fiat Panda 4x4 NEARLY beat a top end Rangie ...
i think some sort of 4x4 pickup truck for rally cross tracks with more jumps like motocross style jumps would be good like they race in america

+1
you mean like baja trucks?
somthing like that, im not american so i dont know
like... this

would be SO much fun

I love their suspension travel
:bannana_g

awesome to the max
I know its been mentioned before but CORR would be ideal for a 4wd and/or 2wd trucks imo. Plus I am pretty sure some people want an all dirt rally x track.

http://www.corracing.com/2007/ ... gallery_id=119&page2=

Here is an example of the racing in CORR. It's a memorial race for Jason Baldwin (former CORR racer that past away). This is a more interesting race because it has both 2wd and 4wd trucks. The 2wd trucks got a 14-15 second lead so the 4wd's dont have a simple win.
Quote from March Hare :... Jeep is scraping plastic and chrome on the rocks. ...

Ermm. No? There is no chrome - at least on the Wrangler my father has. This one got leaf springs all around by the way
Plus some guys drove up to the top of the Ojos del Salado (6642 meters) with almost stock wranglers ... How can you call that a non-proper offroad car?

I would scan the article, but a) my scanner is broken and b) it's german anyway

edit: nevermind, found a link: http://www.reliableplant.com/a ... olcano&articleid=5626
Quote from herki :How can you call that a non-proper offroad car?

Because these people seem to think that the only "off-roading" is driving/racing fast in a desert environment, much like the only racing is road course racing. Don't worry herki, I'm with you and know that a leaf spring suspension is the best way to go with a 4x4. There is no way you are going to get the suspension articulation that you can get for rock crawling or serious off-roading with anything but leaf spring suspension unless you go completely custom (which typically is derived from a leaf spring suspension).
I'm NOT talking about the luxury Discovery 3 or Range Rover Sport but the Defender. The box on wheels with solid axles and coilsprings.

This thing.

Quote from mrodgers :There is no way you are going to get the suspension articulation that you can get for rock crawling or serious off-roading with anything but leaf spring suspension

Are you being sarcastic or did you get leafs and coils mixed up?

And Herki. If your father has a leaf sprung Jeep it is and older car. Not a new one.
leaf springs.. better? offroading?

i dont think that would work out at all, not only are they bulky, they also weigh a TON (sometimes literally) more than standard shocks and coils

not to mention, they can be unstable, they aren't adjustable (not.. as much as coils and shocks are)

in the end its just old technology
Discounting leaf springs just because they are old and heavy is to miss their advantages. Unfortunately people always think new must be better, and that is quite often not the case.

Leaf springs are also just as adjustable as coils, if not more so.
yea adjustable at a serious price...

and it is old technology (and i'm not assuming newer is better) which isn't that good any more, its running out of positives compared to newer technology

and i assure you, in offroading cases... its deffinetly not the best to have
Quote from PMD9409 :I know its been mentioned before but CORR would be ideal for a 4wd and/or 2wd trucks imo. Plus I am pretty sure some people want an all dirt rally x track.

I have watched a few races at Crandon, Wisconsin. Exciting stuff!
Quote from XCNuse :yea adjustable at a serious price...

and it is old technology (and i'm not assuming newer is better) which isn't that good any more, its running out of positives compared to newer technology

and i assure you, in offroading cases... its deffinetly not the best to have

Doesn't cost much more to have a leaf spring retempered, or have leaves added/removed than it does to retemper a coil spring or have a custom coil spring made. They are, however, more expensive to buy off the shelf than a coil spring. Often a coil spring will have reduced travel unless the body/chassis is designed to have enough room for a long coil.

Newer technology = coil spring, and the list of relative positives isn't THAT long really, especially in the off-road market.

4x4's
(101 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG