The online racing simulator
4x4's
(101 posts, started )
#1 - ShoX
4x4's
i think there should be 4x4 time trials in forrests and off road courses, and there should also be normal off-raod racing in 4x4's...

and you could modify your 4x4 for the suited track etc...

what you guys think?
As I see it LFS is mainly a tarmac-only online racing simulator and secondary a rallycross simulator with tracks having both tarmac and gravel sections. LFS physics also allow other car handling related stuff, like drifting and autocrossing but it doesn't mean that should simulate everything on wheels . 4x4 trucks are used in endurance desert rallying and this is not even close to what LFS is trying to do.

#4 - dev
Quote from Hyperactive :As I see it LFS is mainly a tarmac-only online racing simulator and secondary a rallycross simulator with tracks having both tarmac and gravel sections. LFS physics also allow other car handling related stuff, like drifting and autocrossing but it doesn't mean that should simulate everything on wheels . 4x4 trucks are used in endurance desert rallying and this is not even close to what LFS is trying to do.

LFS is supposed to be a racing simulator.... 4x4 offroad is racing so...

+1
Quote from Hyperactive :4x4 trucks are used in endurance desert rallying and this is not even close to what LFS is trying to do.

may be.... but no harm in dreaming it
Rather than 4x4 trucks, 4x4 cars like the RB4.
Quote from DTrott :Rather than 4x4 trucks, 4x4 cars like the RB4.

but with more grunt WRC spec, they would be excelent around the RX circuits
It clearly says "ONLINE RACING SIMULATOR". NOT "TARMAC AND RALLICROSS ONLY SIMULATOR". Nor is there anything in the fine print to say so. False advertising?
we already have rallycross circuits but only one decent 4x4 for the job.
That's the sort I mean. I wouldn't mind a 4x4 FXO TBH.
Quote from DTrott :That's the sort I mean. I wouldn't mind a 4x4 FXO TBH.

Only feasable if the normal FXO was retained but a special WRC version was made of it. Otherwise the TBO class would be missing the FWD car.

Good idea though.
Quote from Jamexing :It clearly says "ONLINE RACING SIMULATOR". NOT "TARMAC AND RALLICROSS ONLY SIMULATOR". Nor is there anything in the fine print to say so. False advertising?

If you are replying to my post, at least try to read the 4 first words of my post. It is just my opinion anyway and I think I just gave good reasons why not to...

4x4 cars are made to survive on desert rallies. 4x4 cars are pos on any of LFS' tracks. Unless we get desert the cars would be hopeless. Soft suspension, 2 metres of ground clearence and Blackwood in its various environments don't add up.

Don't get me wrong though. I'd really like to see a good sim one day with these
Quote from Hyperactive :If you are replying to my post, at least try to read the 4 first words of my post. It is just my opinion anyway and I think I just gave good reasons why not to...

4x4 cars are made to survive on desert rallies. 4x4 cars are pos on any of LFS' tracks. Unless we get desert the cars would be hopeless. Soft suspension, 2 metres of ground clearence and Blackwood in its various environments don't add up.

Don't get me wrong though. I'd really like to see a good sim one day with these

Of course they're not tarmac rippers! But that's missing the point. Imagine the ability to survive all those bumps and jumps from LFS rallicross circuits unscathed. And please stop quoting absolute crap about 4x4. They DO NOT have 2m ground clearance. haven't seen aything like that.

Soft suspension? Goes to show how little you know about them. If you drive toyota 4x4s only, then yes, that is true. They've just LOWERED the latest prado and SOFTENED the suspenion even further! And of course let all the electronic monkey motion sort it out...

A lot of current production SUVs and pickup trucks actually perform BETTER both on and OFF road with stiffer suspension packages. OEMs do have a nasty tendency to use the CHEAPEST springs and dampers they can though, but this means big business for aftermarket suspension speciallists.

Those race trucks you showed have some of the most sophisticated passive suspension in existance. To achieve excellent travel AND dynamic performance, they end up with dual or even TRIPPPLE rate spring/damper setups, not to mention bypasss shocks. So, not quite as simple as just making things as soggy and soft as possible, eh?
Quote from Jamexing :Only feasable if the normal FXO was retained but a special WRC version was made of it. Otherwise the TBO class would be missing the FWD car.

Good idea though.

I mean along side the normal FXO maybe an FX4. But if I am correct the FXR is 4WD.
Quote from DTrott :I mean along side the normal FXO maybe an FX4. But if I am correct the FXR is 4WD.

but you cant put rallycross tyres on it, correct me in im wrong
Quote from FOGlegsy :but you cant put rallycross tyres on it, correct me in im wrong

When was the last time a high downforce car with no ground clearance survive bumpy and jumpy rallycross circuits intact?
Quote from Jamexing :When was the last time a high downforce car with no ground clearance survive bumpy and jumpy rallycross circuits intact?

Well true looks like we need that FX4 then
Quote from Jamexing :Of course they're not tarmac rippers! But that's missing the point. Imagine the ability to survive all those bumps and jumps from LFS rallicross circuits unscathed. And please stop quoting absolute crap about 4x4. They DO NOT have 2m ground clearance. haven't seen aything like that.

They have a lot softer suspension than any decent tarmac/rallycross car becasue of the environment they are driven in. It is because it is actually needed because the tracks are bumpy. I'm talking about real bumps. 2m suspension was kinda joke but...

My point was and still is that currently there really aren't any cars that are meant to be rallycross cars, neither there are many rallycross tracks. Other point is that LFS don't have any suitable track environments for those "4x4" cars. Of course by 4x4 I just mean the type of 4 wheel driven vehicles that was posted by by you in the 2nd reply. 3rd point is that those pajeros are useless on LFS. Having a rallycar in LFS I'd like to see much more tracks for them too. It still doesn't need to anything FX related...

Quote from Jamexing :Imagine the ability to survive all those bumps and jumps from LFS rallicross circuits unscathed.

Slown down and/or take different line
Anyway, LFS could use some dcent off-road special stages too, like those sand/gravel stages they have in WRC events. About time they maked LFS enjoyable for those who are fully aware that the earth is not flat (aka mostly UNPAVED), whilst seriously expanding our fanbase/palyer base/ market.

Those long travel systems are actually quite a marvel of engineering. With 3 springs, you can get as much as 36 inches of travel from Baja racers. There are all sorts of strategies to set them up, but here's just ONE way to set it up:

The 1st stage is a helper spring, designed to allow the suspension to droop as far as it could. The second is to support the car whilst normally level and provide moderate stiffness to absorb bumps without knocking your kidneys out. The final stiffest stage is meant for platform control and dynamic stability, whilst also reducing or cushioning suspension bottoming.

Just 1 possible strategy.

Oh, the current Pajero EVOs and all cars of its class in the dakar rally are all limited to WRC levels of travel (250mm), enforced with metla bump stops. The fact that such a huge portion of them survived the whole event was pretty amazing. With such "little" ravel, soft and soggy settimgs simply won't do, as they'll handle horribly and bottom out HARD way too often.

I remember top gear did a little test on a dakar rally style Landrover. It actually performed better than anticipated, especially after considering theat it was done on the same top gear course (by the stig of course) with OFF-road tires.
Shame Screamer 4x4 won't run on new PCs, that was a great offroad sim, and had a big truck as well as the regular 4x4s.
Quote from FOGlegsy :but you cant put rallycross tyres on it, correct me in im wrong

Slickmod?

(Available for V, but not W).
Quote from FOGlegsy :we already have rallycross circuits but only one decent 4x4 for the job.

err.. we dont have any 4x4 vehicles in LFS, we have an AWD car... but those are 2 totally different things
I believe that 4x4 is the same as AWD but 4x4 is more attributed to trucks. But I'm not entirely sure.

4x4's
(101 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG