Jeff (BBT) says:
ROFL you really though that guy figured there were bombs in
the PS3's..... BWHAWHHAWHAWH
(wishes to remain anonymous) says:
yeah...
Frown
Jeff (BBT) says:
(not laughing AT you, laughing WITH you)
what is it with me tonight?
I should probably get back to differential equations, I'm
better at that
Jeff (BBT) says:
"(keyword removed) are changed"! "Bombs in PS3s!!"
ROFL!!!

I hope 'he who mustn't be named' (not Voldemort) owns up, because that is a classic!
#3 - DeKo
better at that

that made me laugh more, there is nobody in the world that is any good at differential equations and i defend that for all its worth.

lmfao though, i hope he owns up, it is pretty hilarious.
#4 - Jakg
Quote from DeKo :that made me laugh more, there is nobody in the world that is any good at differential equations and i defend that for all its worth.

if by differential equations you mean differentiation (ie x[squared]+5x+3 dy[over]dx) then actually, i find them pretty easy, and i'm predicted an E in maths extension!
Quote from Jakg :if by differential equations you mean differentiation (ie x[squared]+5x+3 dy[over]dx) then actually, i find them pretty easy, and i'm predicted an E in maths extension!

There is more to differential equations than just differentiation. If you do A-Level maths I'm sure you'll get to it, or at least at university (I'm doing them for the first time at uni, I didn't do maths A-Level).
#6 - DeKo
Quote from Jakg :if by differential equations you mean differentiation (ie x[squared]+5x+3 dy[over]dx) then actually, i find them pretty easy, and i'm predicted an E in maths extension!

the differentiation is actually simple, its when you get a massively long equation and have to get it into differentiatable form that it becomes a bit of a bastard.
Oh dear, never mind
#8 - Jakg
Quote from spookthehamster :There is more to differential equations than just differentiation. If you do A-Level maths I'm sure you'll get to it, or at least at university (I'm doing them for the first time at uni, I didn't do maths A-Level).

ah, i'm doing Maths Extension for GCSE, which is basically like 9 tenths of Maths AS Level over 2 Years, so forgive my lack of knowledge!

Example of 1st order differential equation could be xy'-2y=x^3*e^x. (where y' is dervative of y). See the difference - that is an equation (something equals something) not a formula, function etc. Now the task is to find some y(x) which fulfills the equation. The answer is pretty easy to see so I leave it out. Uhmm
#10 - Jakg
Ah i get it!

*silence as Jakg's brain slowly melts*

Why did i agree to do 6th Form Maths?!
#11 - axus
Argh, fine, it's me. Shrug
It's not a common expression at this end of the world, ok? :schwitz:And I'm not a native English spea... nevermind. I'll let you guys laugh at me all you want. It's not like you get many chances. Last night was an exception.

EDIT: BTW, Jakg, IGCSE Additional Mathematics (assuming that's what you mean) is not nearly 9/10 of the A-level Maths syllabus. I should know, Wink I got my A* for Add Maths, and then still had to work my arse off to get an A in A-level. Basically all of the paper 3 stuff is untouched in Add Maths, as well as some of the paper 2 stuff.

I'm now doing A-level Further Mathematics and that's... pretty mad, but a lot of fun. Smile I'm actually alone in the class because everyone else in the school is too chickenshit. I was busy on 2nd order linear differential equations last night:
(d^2x/dt^2) + (dx/dt) + 2x = e^((2-3i)t)
Solve for x. Big grin (Which is fairly easy if you know what you're doing, DeKo - the d.e.'s in 3rd year uni or something are probably much much harder )
Quote from DeKo :(wishes to remain anonymous) says:
better at that

that made me laugh more, there is nobody in the world that is any good at differential equations and i defend that for all its worth.

lmfao though, i hope he owns up, it is pretty hilarious.

simple with a few transformations
Looks like someone set us up the bomb.
#14 - axus
Quote from Aquilifer :Example of 1st order differential equation could be xy'-2y=x^3*e^x. (where y' is dervative of y). See the difference - that is an equation (something equals something) not a formula, function etc. Now the task is to find some y(x) which fulfills the equation. The answer is pretty easy to see so I leave it out. Uhmm

y' - (2/x)y = x^2*e^x
let I be the integrating factor:
I = e^(integral (2/x dx))
I = e^(-2ln x)
I = x^-2

therefore,
x^-2 * y = integral(e^x dx)
y = x^2(e^x + c)

:headbang: But if that was easy to see (ie. you could write down the answer without calculation), respect .
Btw I had a nice but crazy idea tonight. Since there´s no thread to put it I´ll just go ahead and hijack this one, because I´m sure all the regulars will look into it sooner or later.

The idea bases on 2 simple facts:
1) The AI in LFS is utterly rubbish
2) Scawen did work on Black and White

Now as some of you will know the AI in Black and White was both great and ahead of its time, and obviously way ahead of LFS' AI. Both AIs have one thing in common though, they learn. This is what puts both games in a special place AI wise as most other games have hard coded AIs.

But there´s one major thing missing in LFS that B&W had, in B&W you can teach the AI by either petting your creature or giving it a good whack across it´s face.

The logical conclusion of all this is that this is exactly what LFS needs!

Just think of the possiblities:

- Say you´d like to have an AI that always turns in early. One you can always hold close to your heart and pet it all night long, and you´d even like to call it Tristan (why anyone would like to pet Tristan all night long is beyond me but thats not the scope of this post). So you go ahead and watch young Tristan drive around Blackwood and you catch him turning in late. It´s quite obvious that you´re going to have to beat him up good for that (coincidentially why someone would like to to that to Tristan is much more understandable). This will happen a few more times and sooner or later he´ll learn that he´s supposed to turn in early. At this point you´ll have a carbon copy of Tristan which is only good for petting so inevitably you´ll delete it, start over and whack him some more.

- Or you might like to have the pleasures of racing a demo server in single player. All youd have to do is take an AI and pet it every single time it crashes into someone else, copy it´s known file 15 times and put them on Blackwood. Et voila instant Blackwood a la demo.

- Alternatively you could also take the demo AI, pit it against a bunch of reasonably well behaved other AIs on FE rallyx green, and have Becky and Tristan (the guy not the AI) comment the race.
It can easily happen if you don't speak english on a regular basis =)

Put a nice big smile on my face =)
Quote from axus :Argh, fine, it's me. Shrug
It's not a common expression at this end of the world, ok? :schwitz:And I'm not a native English spea... nevermind. I'll let you guys laugh at me all you want. It's not like you get many chances. Last night was an exception.

EDIT: BTW, Jakg, IGCSE Additional Mathematics (assuming that's what you mean) is not nearly 9/10 of the A-level Maths syllabus. I should know, Wink I got my A* for Add Maths, and then still had to work my arse off to get an A in A-level. Basically all of the paper 3 stuff is untouched in Add Maths, as well as some of the paper 2 stuff.

I'm now doing A-level Further Mathematics and that's... pretty mad, but a lot of fun. Smile I'm actually alone in the class because everyone else in the school is too chickenshit. I was busy on 2nd order linear differential equations last night:
(d^2x/dt^2) + (dx/dt) + 2x = e^((2-3i)t)
Solve for x. Big grin (Which is fairly easy if you know what you're doing, DeKo - the d.e.'s in 3rd year uni or something are probably much much harder )

ROFL.....once i read differential equations i knew it was you.

Anton the other night gave up the friendly combo of MRT on Fern Bay green to do differential equations Big grinNod
Quote from axus :y' - (2/x)y = x^2*e^x
I = e^(-2ln x)
I = x^-2

therefore,
y = x^2(e^x + c)

:headbang: But if that was easy to see (ie. you could write down the answer without calculation), respect .

It is all pretty easy because basically all you just need to know what kind of differential equation you are looking at and just use the right method to solve it. Of course it doesn't hurt to actually know what you are doing. Like why did you use that integrating factor, for example Smile

It gets really fun to solve those on paper when you add some nice matrixes to deal whit Schwitz
Quote from axus :y' - (2/x)y = x^2*e^x
I = e^(-2ln x)
I = x^-2

therefore,
y = x^2(e^x + c)

Heh, not really (it was a joke). But if you have a good idea what form the answer is going to be, you can try it other way around and just correct your initial guess if needed. Sometimes it is easier this way than do it systematically as you did. Especially if you do not have paper and a pen Shrug

But... if it is asked in an exam, you cannot just give the answer. You have to show how get it naturally (I think) Uhmm
bump

comment on my ingenious idea damnit Smile
Yes. Yes. Fine! Good idea.

But the equations are much more interesting.

WHERE IS STCC ROUND 7 BROADCAST?!?!?!?!111oneoneelevenz (spelling?)
#22 - Jakg
being made, its on a delay atm for some reason, but it hasn't been forgotten about, and this one will be better than ever
Just asking because I jumped on at STCC 6 and then watched the lot. Propably OD:ed myself and now I'm having withdrawal.

I need my STCC fix!
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg : Pressed "Post" Rather Than Close!
is all that stuff you are doing like for college and stuff not highschool because im in Standard Grade and im not looking forward to 5th and 6th year ifhats what we gotta do!

A humorous MSN text!
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG