The online racing simulator
#76 - VoiD
Quote from UsuL :Also in the Silver&Gold server is the same since 10/15 days. Lot of "Wannabeahero" drivers get silver licence and now they are making me really angry with the well known "LamerBasedTecnique": "When there is a turn, use the car in front of you to brake"....

http://stcc.bansheestudios.com/talk/viewtopic.php?id=538 :
Quote from BeckyRose :...OK I am now armed with all the information. You are suspended from the server for 5 days and when you return will be put back with the newbie drivers. It appears the admins have received a number of verbal complaints that they'd not logged, and after witnessing some of your driving an announcement was sent to you (the admin message that keeps appearing in the top left of your screen until you type $agree).

Unfortunately it appears you either ignored the message or failed to understand it and continued to drive to a standard that would only be excepted on a non-pro racing server. After additional verbal complaints from other drivers, a submitted replay and a replay in the personal archive of one of the admins all showing your driving was still causing problems for other racers it was decided to move you back to the newbie server.

I appreciate that you are new to the simulation. So now we have your attention I am happy to remove the suspension. However I do not feel comfortable returning you to the pro race server until there is evidence that your driving has improved.

You can find some rules and code of conduct which may prove beneficial to you here: http://www.simtouringcarcup.com/rulesRace1.php
and here: http://www.simtouringcarcup.com/rulesRace2.php

Feel free to report bad driving style.
Without info its a bit hard for Becky & Admins to filter out those drivers...
Just a suggestion. Everyone who finishes on the lead lap or the lap below that (on races longer than 8 laps) gets a minimum of 3 points.

This would stop shift-Sing which would in turn force up the cleanliness as they know that they have the potential for two points to go up in smoke if they shift-S.
Yes, but there are times though when drivers must press shift-s in a hurry and it's very much appreciated by following drivers. eg. In the chicane at SO City. I certainly wouldn't want to discourage shift-s and feel the advantages of shifft-s outweigh the disadvantages. Of course any driver who does so will lose points but are they really going to do much better with a badly mangled car ? On a nice wide track where you can stay out of the way, then go for it and try and make it back to the pits. What I don't like to see is a car that limps around lap after lap totally ignoring the pits. I'd would like to see a black flag for these drivers after 2 laps and again I think it could possibly be detected by implementing a check of percentage lap speed linked to fastest lap speed. (say 60% at a guess) It could also be used on those who just sit broken down on the track though the invoked yellows well discourage this sufficiently.

I too have noticed in recent nights an influx of fresh drivers with "gung ho" attitudes, but they tend to settle down quite quickly after a few verbal chastisements and the majority realise that what they may have gotten up to before is not tolerated on the STCC2 server. I suppose they were big fish in small ponds beforehand Anyhow, it's all good and we need this new blood coming through all the time so I wouldn't be too hard on them until they find their feet.

What I don't understand is a couple of drivers who seem to have "slipped under the net" These guys are not wreckers in the true meaning. They are just very very slow, take the wrong lines and crash at just about every corner. They apologise when they take others out and try to take evasive action when being lapped but the basic skill required at this level just isn't there. I wouldn't dream of reporting them as I don't see it as malicious. I just don't know how they managed to get the license. Maybe they just raced on the STCC1 servers 24 hrs a day but you would think their proficiency would have improved with all that practise. Doesn't seem to have worked out that way though. Must be rant night
Sheer perseveerance doesn't really pay off on the STCC servers with the way the points scoring system - but I suppose drivers who do perservere do ocassionally get a good result in amidst the other mess. I would imagine these are drivers that have a higher yellow flag than laps ratio, which i'm keen to restrict to tier 1 servers as soon as i'm happy the stats are ok.

Could you do me a favour please Swiss? Could you email/PM me some LFSW names of drivers who you think fall into this category so I can check their accident/laps ratio please?

EDIT: No direct action will be taken against the drivers as a consequence, I purely want to check their accident per laps ratio and see if the figures are in the region I expect them to be given what you describe.
#80 - UsuL
Thanks all for the reply

Just yesterday night I had another discussion with some drivers for the same attitude to give a little "push-away" and pass, did not reported, but I quit race 'couse i get angry and then wasn't able to race decently.

By the way, yesterday I was talking with my friend and STCC driver Desmoboss, we were thinking about the fact that Silver&Gold server is the most used: from silver licenced to platinum. There are really lot of drivers and the skill level is really different.
When I was silver liceced, I was really low level skilled, now I'm average, so there is a great difference of skill betwin who's just gained silver and who's platinum.
Perhaps it should be good to change a littlebit and have a "STCC Silver&Gold" and a "STCC Gold&Platinum", with same cars/track, in this way who's already more experienced could race on "Gold&Platinum".

P.S.: Sorry for the crappy english ...
The existing platinum server doesnt get used because it's configured for league use - but I have more servers coming very soon now. The new box has passed soak test and will be getting installed in a datacentre very soon, and with it will come more race servers.

However i'm cautious not to open too many too quickly and spread the driver base too thin. There's only so many people up for a race at any given time.
Quote from UsuL :Also in the Silver&Gold server is the same since 10/15 days. Lot of "Wannabeahero" drivers get silver licence and now they are making me really angry with the well known "LamerBasedTecnique": "When there is a turn, use the car in front of you to brake".

I'm considering if I'll continue with STCC 'couse of them: I can't make more reports then races ... we need some admins to quickly solve problems with them. I was admin in my team server, (the FM's Oval Junkies), and there was no need to make long ban or so, just force the lamer on spect, say "Do again this shit and you'll be banned" and they were changing attitude.

By the way ... Live longer and lamer!

Ahhh......yes, I remember, it was you who was cursing about me being a wrecker yesterday luchtime, but you quit the server before I had a time to reply to you, if I may so, I will reply here.

1) I was clearly faster than you coming into the chicane, I had the inside line, maybe I should have yealded, maybe you should have, but neither of us did and it resulted in a crash, this was a racing incident, and IMO, neither are to blame.

2) I didn't say sorry because I was racing at work in my break on the mouse, when I am racing on mouse I can't type and race, that is the reason I didnt say sorry, else I would have done.
Becky, where do I send the e-mail/PM. The options are switched off in you profile
I would like to say that i'm very disapointed with some drivers running on this server.
I was yesterday before bed time on BL, and the server changed to 18 laps, with even 18 laps, there's people who cannot avoid crashing before T1 or crash in the strait, there are like 4 of 5 guys side by side on the strait, and suddenly everybody wants the same track spot.
I felt like i was in a jungle, not to mention some drivers that keeps talking and talking, crusing the car in track at low speeds, a total lack of respect for the blue flags .
That makes no fun racing like this.
#86 - UsuL
Quote from danowat :Ahhh......yes, I remember, it was you who was cursing about me being a wrecker yesterday luchtime, but you quit the server before I had a time to reply to you, if I may so, I will reply here.

1) I was clearly faster than you coming into the chicane, I had the inside line, maybe I should have yealded, maybe you should have, but neither of us did and it resulted in a crash, this was a racing incident, and IMO, neither are to blame.

2) I didn't say sorry because I was racing at work in my break on the mouse, when I am racing on mouse I can't type and race, that is the reason I didnt say sorry, else I would have done.

No it wasn't you , it was two members of another team, ASR I think, D.O.C. and another one, that also reply with smile to me, after he crashed me.
The first one, DOC, he was faster, (FXO), so it was unfair to pass me in that way, there was no way to stay in front of him ... BUT ... his way to pass made me slow down and I've been get by his m8s ... I was slower on pure speed, but faster lines, after a couple of laps, kicking me was the only way to pass me and they did it. Don't know if it was intentional or not, did not reported only 'couse of that doubt.

Anyway I only hope that newcomers will be more "fair" in the future.
Quote from danowat :Ahhh......yes, I remember, it was you who was cursing about me being a wrecker yesterday luchtime, but you quit the server before I had a time to reply to you, if I may so, I will reply here.

I know for a fact that Dan has excellent skills and is clean and fair. He has raced at the very top level of league racing in the ESL ERRC and he was able to hold his own. I would be very surprised if a driver had a valid complaint against him.
Quote from Gentlefoot :I know for a fact that Dan has excellent skills and is clean and fair. He has raced at the very top level of league racing in the ESL ERRC and he was able to hold his own. I would be very surprised if a driver had a valid complaint against him.

Valid? maybe not, but I bet my bottom dollar there are more than a few "reports" with my name on them .

There is a huge difference between racing incidents, and outright bad driving and wrecking, trouble is, there are way too many people who don't understand the boundries between them, I have lost count of the amount of times I have been balled at for "wrecking" or ruining someones race , where there is no fault to blame.

P.S. I am also racing (albeit slowly) in the ESL EU ESCC this season
Quote from danowat :Valid? maybe not, but I bet my bottom dollar there are more than a few "reports" with my name on them .

There is a huge difference between racing incidents, and outright bad driving and wrecking, trouble is, there are way too many people who don't understand the boundries between them, I have lost count of the amount of times I have been balled at for "wrecking" or ruining someones race , where there is no fault to blame.

P.S. I am also racing (albeit slowly) in the ESL EU ESCC this season

Know what you mean mate. It's mainly that people don't know how to give room and don't know when they've already lost the corner.

What cars are used in the EU ESCC then mate?
Hi.

I raced yesterday a bit on the STCC 1a I think and it was fun. Ok sometimes I've some difficulties but I give people room. If I don't know how to drive through a turn I spectate and watch how the other peeps are braking etc. worked fine yday.

Unfortunately most people brake very late and crash into your car. I learnt my lession. I try to be the last one on the server because I know that turn1 will seperate the field

But most of the drivers are nice and I had a brilliant fight with someone yesterday. It makes a lot of fun there
i play alot in the STCC 1a server, well i have over the last few days and i barley ever finish a race.... not through any fault of my own tho.
T1 is always the worst cars behind u belive ur back bumper is thier brake.
over taking a car then enterting the next corner with them on your tail is another big problem reason being:
say ive just over taken a car, next corner arrives hes right on my tail. obviously he no's theres a bend and if i brake he cant do anything but hit me... commen sense would tell him ease off the throttle? brake a little?? but no so many times ive braked and the guy behind has gone straight into my back and caused me to spin....

if im following a person into a bend i loos off the throttle a little and touch the brakes that way i dont run into the back of them.
these are the 2 main reasons 1 i dont finish races all of the time, its getting really annoying. People need to use thier "look left and right" buttons alot more..
Yeah I have trouble with STCC1 aswell. People moan about driving standards but dont report drivers who are below standard...

There are also things you can do to get through a race without incident, positioning your own car sensibly is a key race skill both in the sim race and the real race. You dont have to drive on the ragged edge, caution pays big reward when racing in a pack.

I have started many races in the midfield and not crashed. I've done this on all STCC tiers...

I know i'm not the most dazzlingly quick driver, I dont play on the servers half as much as the regulars, but i'm able to fight wheel to wheel and most of the time not crash. That isn't only because I only race against clean racers.

It's because I try to place my car and drive either in a manner that only gives the other driver the option of going where I want them too, or in a manner that allows me some margin for alternatives.

Sure, I sometimes find myself on opposite lock because i've been whacked harder than I expected, and yes I do have the odd accident.

If things are as bad as you suggest though, then the problem is most definately - without reservation - not entirely the fault of the other drivers.

That's no shame though, the great thing about sim racing is that it teaches race craft at a much faster rate than the real thing.
I like to start at the back of possible, because I can count on others smashing into each other, spinning out, etc. Just by doing that, I can usually move up to mid field. And I use my look left and right buttons constantly, and I am amazed by the antics of others when it comes to either the Fern Bay club or South City Classic chicanes. Basically on those servers, it is killed or be killed, survival of the fittest. There is no room for politeness, manners or gallantry. Do so and be dead last or unintentionally wreck.

I cannot wait to move onto Silver, though...
trouble is, y should we report drivers for not being so good as another driver? they need to learn etc. sure ill report guys who ram me intentionally but as for people who are learning its not really that fair.
ive done a few track days in real life in my own car so i no the basics u gotta be constantly aware, im always checking my rear mirror and if the car behind me has dissapeard theres a good chance he will be at my side so i check my sides every few seconds untill they either over take or fall back.
Quote from SLIDE WAYZ :trouble is, y should we report drivers for not being so good as another driver? they need to learn etc. sure ill report guys who ram me intentionally but as for people who are learning its not really that fair.
ive done a few track days in real life in my own car so i no the basics u gotta be constantly aware, im always checking my rear mirror and if the car behind me has dissapeard theres a good chance he will be at my side so i check my sides every few seconds untill they either over take or fall back.

Yeah, but if a driver isn't so good and they know that themselves, why don't they go a little slower through the corner? Instead of flying past the braking points for T1 and crashing half the feild?

I understand not all new drivers do this, but there are quite alot that do.
Quote :y should we report drivers for not being so good as another driver?

In STCC we have an educate rather than ban policy. Most servers, due to the nature of the beast, have the option to ban or let be. We have developed tools that let us keep track of our 10,000 drivers, we can keep notes, and we can send them messages at any time that they'll get when they next drive.

We're interested in the persistent offenders, those who continually effect the racing of others. We want to have the chance to educate them and make them better drivers.

For us banning is a last resort.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG