The online racing simulator
C'mon, people (STCC1b)
[rant]
If you can't make it cleanly through a corner in traffic, stay off the racing line, please.

Please don't go barreling into a corner off a long high speed run, and upset everyone who has made a proper entrance into same corner.

Look to your side, from time to time...there maybe someone right there that you're fixing to pinch off track (or into a wall)

[/rant]

I know this is the "beginners" server, but I keep seeing the same stupid crap. I know that sometimes at T1, there's so much traffic, you get a little lag, and things become a bit dicey, but imho, that's the worst time to be aggressive. So you get through it relatively unscathed and charge on...what about the rest drivers trying to get through without complete carnage?

Anyway, I am looking forward to moving up to the next server.

At some point.

If I can get through T1.

Carry on. Nothing else to see here.
1a was always better
i couldn't take it with the UF1k first of all, second of all what you pointed out, third of all.. no one spoke english! lol i guess i got on at the wrong time but it was still bad
#3 - Tukko
Quote from NoQuarter :Anyway, I am looking forward to moving up to the next server.

It's not much better there.. I'm just wondering how on earth some of those people got their licence
STCC Servers are licenced servers, this means you have to have a race licence to compete on them. We can and do make notes on drivers, penalise drivers licences, and repeal licences. But we need to know who to act against, http://license.ukct.net/report.asp

Thank you for racing on the servers, we do our best to keep them clean and provide a home for close and fair racing.

Many problems in sim racing stem from a gamer attitude, and STCC2 and above tries to impress that these are serious race servers where gaming conventions aren't well accepted - such as resetting or rejoining the track after a spin when there is approaching traffic, overtaking without having sufficient overlap on the car you are passing.

Where possible we enforce this first tier servers too, although a little bit more leeniently in our approach.
I understand Becky...just venting a little.

I may be fairly new to LFS, but I've done a lot of other racing against live opponents, typically at an upper mid-pack to lower front runner level.

Racing incidents happen, especially with fairly evenly matched drivers. But when I see someone, through inexperience, just completely blow it for other drivers, it gets a bit frustrating. I've looked at the replays from the incidents I was involved in this afternoon, and while there may be a case for presenting each of them to the STCC Driver Report, I have to say that none of them were malicious (well, maybe one), but just cases of very poor judgement or very poor execution.

I will say that overall, I am enjoying my time on the STCC 1a and 1b servers, and find that racing there is actually quite vital to my racing development, as it should be. I've also raced with some very polite drivers, who drive aggressively, but fairly and observe decent racing etiquette.

At this point, I'll make note of the drivers involved and make sure to keep an eye on them, if only to watch my own six.
Quote :I have to say that none of them were malicious (well, maybe one), but just cases of very poor judgement or very poor execution.

We do act on these kind of reports, although if we received every incident that ever happened we'd quickly get bogged down - but drivers who make repeat errors in judgement we want to know about so we can keep track of them and either hold them in server 1 or remove them completely - a short ban usually prompts them to get in touch with us and after words ... well some drivers who are very valued members of the STCC now where once hauled up in front of the admins...
its really pretty nasty ... i decided to work my way to a gold license when the lrf server was put up but after just one night of racing (less than 10 races) i couldnt take it anymore
I rather think that's more a reflection of the state of LFS public racing than the STCC though. You get this everywhere unfortunately, but the STCC admins are willing to deal with the problem makers if we know who they are.
Trouble is, when driving with care and attention, I come in about 10th in a full field 'cause my lap times aren't so hot (so, zero points every race) ... if I don't try and take a wide line to let through faster drivers, and rub as much as I get rubbed (not going as far as nudging on purpose), I can scrape maybe 5th and get a point or two. I don't like doing it that way, but now there's no points for just taking part its the only way I'll ever get to Bronze never mind Silver
sure but i think the whole system has a way of amplifying those problems
for starters most servers have a small-ish userbase... the stccs userbase is a very large portion of the entire lfs community
and starting out with a car that appears to be dead easy to drive probably doesnt help much either

i will concede that an stcc1 server with so sprint running wasnt the best place to get back in the business but then again having so in the newbie server rotation might not be a particularly awesome idea either
Hmmm, I dont want to remove South City because people say the same thing about Fern Bay and Blackwood... That doesn't leave much...
Quote :Trouble is, when driving with care and attention, I come in about 10th in a full field 'cause my lap times aren't so hot (so, zero points every race) ... if I don't try and take a wide line to let through faster drivers, and rub as much as I get rubbed (not going as far as nudging on purpose), I can scrape maybe 5th and get a point or two. I don't like doing it that way, but now there's no points for just taking part its the only way I'll ever get to Bronze never mind Silver

What you are describing is to 'magically' gain positions by running racers off the road.

You are either quick enough for server 2, or you aren't yet ready.

Crawling up 1 point at a time takes about 1,000 races.
Noo please don't even consider remove anything, South City especially <3 It's good to have difficult tracks there because then they'll be less difficult after 20 odd races when people get to the next licence level XRG @ SO is one of _the_ best combos around!
Quote from Becky Rose :Hmmm, I dont want to remove South City because people say the same thing about Fern Bay and Blackwood... That doesn't leave much...

on those two you at least dont have to deal with cars getting catapulted in your way or falling from the sky right in front of you after hitting a wall

have you considered making the xrg the copper car yet ? (same licencing scheme as on the higher tier servers)
frustration about your own lack of skill is a very usefull tool to weed out those who shouldnt be on the server
I don't run other racers off the road (apart from the occasional honest mistake, which I think everyone makes), but to get a result you have to be as aggressive as the other racers.

I guess its time to try changing the setup, which really irks me since thats not something you can do in real life; turn up run Autograss class 1 with adjustable suspension and scrutineering would laugh you off the field
Solution to the problem of people racing through turn one and thereby taking out the entire grid:

Combine the Caribbean Cruise money idea with STCC license. If your car is wrecked, you get booted from the race. No pit, just booted. A bit harsh for people who were victims, but pretty soon people will take it easy on cold tires.
There isn't really a reliable way to detect a wrecked car at the moment - but I have asked Scawen for some INSIM functionality in this respect so if he feels it right to deliver it i'll be making some adjustments to the data the licence system collects...
I have a question about the copper and bronze server as it seems open to higher licence holders also, tried searching for an answer in vain can someone please confirm whether my hunch is correct or not

I did do a search on some of the names on the server and it appears some of the racers are old hands with a couple of thousand licence points etc.

The problem I have as a noob to stcc is being competitive with these drivers as they seem to be dropping to the lower level server to skim points as it looks as if about 4 racers are well out in front with a second group behind.

Finding it hard at the start when starting the next race in about 5,6 or 7th as mid grid you always seem to get whacked from behind at the first bend

Enjoying the racing but the points are coming very slowly due to the problems encountered above as the top 4 cars seem to be running higher licences than Bronze.
Quote from CELTIC100 :I have a question about the copper and bronze server as it seems open to higher licence holders also, tried searching for an answer in vain can someone please confirm whether my hunch is correct or not

I did do a search on some of the names on the server and it appears some of the racers are old hands with a couple of thousand licence points etc.

The problem I have as a noob to stcc is being competitive with these drivers as they seem to be dropping to the lower level server to skim points as it looks as if about 4 racers are well out in front with a second group behind.

Finding it hard at the start when starting the next race in about 5,6 or 7th as mid grid you always seem to get whacked from behind at the first bend

Enjoying the racing but the points are coming very slowly due to the problems encountered above as the top 4 cars seem to be running higher licences than Bronze.

The lower servers are open to anyone with higher licences. I enjoy popping in now and again for some fun in the XFG/XRG, as do a few others that I know of. Points scored are reduced for those with higher licences.

The complaint about them being faster and not giving the others a chance to get points isn't really relevant. What good would it be if people got onto the Silver/Gold server by only racing against what you would call 'slower drivers' ? As soon as they get onto the higher servers they would be in exactly the same situation...can't win, too may fast people.
As far as I understand, after you hit Silver you can no longer earn points on the Bronze server. I could be wrong though.

These days I usually brake way too early to avoid a T1 disaster. It's much better than having your race ended because nobody seems to know how to brake. I'd rather be near last and on the track than exit the pits and have no hope of catching anyone. The number of times I've seen people clean the entire field at the SO1R chicane just isn't funny.
Quote from Dajmin :As far as I understand, after you hit Silver you can no longer earn points on the Bronze server. I could be wrong though.

These days I usually brake way too early to avoid a T1 disaster. It's much better than having your race ended because nobody seems to know how to brake. I'd rather be near last and on the track than exit the pits and have no hope of catching anyone. The number of times I've seen people clean the entire field at the SO1R chicane just isn't funny.

There is a system in place to report people driving like muppets.
If it isn't used, then the muppet-like drivers will remain on the servers.

I understand that on the lower servers a bit of leaway is given, as they are there for people to learn and improve their racecraft. On the higher servers the penalties are more severe as the expected standard itself is higher.
#22 - Jakg
Quote from Bean0 :The lower servers are open to anyone with higher licences. I enjoy popping in now and again for some fun in the XFG/XRG, as do a few others that I know of. Points scored are reduced for those with higher licences.

as off about a week ago we get NO points on the lower servers, which imho is a shame as i love the XRG and UF1
Quote :The complaint about them being faster and not giving the others a chance to get points isn't really relevant. What good would it be if people got onto the Silver/Gold server by only racing against what you would call 'slower drivers' ? As soon as they get onto the higher servers they would be in exactly the same situation...can't win, too may fast people.

Sorry but cant agree as the points for each particular licence must have been set by the admins to enable a racer to gain a licence in a particular time period - For instance if 8 High Licence racers always entered the copper bronze server the newbie racer is getting frozen out irrespective whether the higher licence holders gain points or not.

Looking at the racer stats some of the silver licence holders may have two or more years experience and know the courses inside out whereas myself has a couple of weeks experience and some tracks i'm seeing for the first time on the server.

So I think it all comes down to respecting the class your entering - myself I would never enter a pro server even on demo just incase I become a spoiler the same applies if racers drop to a server that they are too qualifed to race in.
Quote from Jakg :as off about a week ago we get NO points on the lower servers, which imho is a shame as i love the XRG and UF1

Agree.
Hey Becky, how many cookies do you want to give some points at lower server .
Quote from Jakg :as off about a week ago we get NO points on the lower servers, which imho is a shame as i love the XRG and UF1

Quote from CELTIC100 :Sorry but cant agree as the points for each particular licence must have been set by the admins to enable a racer to gain a licence in a particular time period - For instance if 8 High Licence racers always entered the copper bronze server the newbie racer is getting frozen out irrespective whether the higher licence holders gain points or not.

Looking at the racer stats some of the silver licence holders may have two or more years experience and know the courses inside out whereas myself has a couple of weeks experience and some tracks i'm seeing for the first time on the server.

So I think it all comes down to respecting the class your entering - myself I would never enter a pro server even on demo just incase I become a spoiler the same applies if racers drop to a server that they are too qualifed to race in.

Sorry, but I am just saying what has already been posted before by Becky, I looked for her post to quote but couldn't find it.

Just because people have a higher license doesn't mean that they are unbeatable

C'mon, people (STCC1b)
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG