The online racing simulator
Your first time
(52 posts, started )
my first time was during the summer at a friends house!!the from then on im in love with it !so i went home and bought s2 before even playing demo !!
I got 0.3A(?) in a magazine back in 02-03, and in the beginning i did most of my racing off-line, but after a while i dared to go online and spent most of my time going "slightly" on the power-sliding side of racing just because LFS did all the counter-steering for you :blush:. So when KB-help was removed i had a really hard time with being able to go in a straight line, so i had to buy a converter for my PS1 DUAL-SHOCK to even be able to drive 'round the track in one piece :P. Then, a couple of weeks after S2 became available for sale i bought a License and have been a happy racer ever since.
I first saw it on Motors TV, it was on a '3D Motors' or something like that. I decided to have a look at it so I downloaded the demo (it must have been just after S2 came out) and played that for ages. I persuaded my parents to buy a license for me for christmas 2005. I've been playing ever since.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I didn't have much time to play when I first got it, due to me persuading Frank Williams not to sign Kev's contract
I played LFS for the first time when it was in 0.04 version. As I sat inside the XR GT for the first time, and just fooled around for a while, my immediate thoughts were something along the lines of: "WHOAH. This is it. I LOVE HOW THIS FEELS. Finally... finally there's a this kind of realistic racing game for the PC."

I've been a devout fan ever since.
Hmmmm, i was thinking of something else when i read the title of this topic....nevermind
I dont really remember my first time...(LFS i mean :razz
I first heard of it from a friend. I think it was the last version of S1 before S2 came along. I hated the physics at first, so slippy, and I could never get the XRT until I found a credits cheat file about a month later. I then began just messing with Tweak, and letting the AI entertain me, big wheels, dragsters, everything that could be done I did. Never seriously went online either.

Then I found out about S2. WOAH. Amazing compared to S1. So here I am now, from the first version of S2 to now, always played it and never want to stop :thumpsup:
omg thats long ago.
It was september 2002 i think.
xfg on blackwood reversed. it was love on first sight.:lovies:
Haha dont remind me guys! Last year, FOX round Blackwood on the Redline Racing server. I took out almost everyone lol....
Yes, we've done this before...

Got wind of LFS through the tweakguides forums. Someone was saying it was the best racing sim available. From there memories of a few years back were jogged- using the local University internet PC's near where I lived (I wasn't going to Uni) and stumbling across the LFS webpage. It looked promising and I vowed to catch up with it sometime down the road...
It was 4 years ago, one of my friends told me about "a simple and free online racing game" as it was those days.

LFS had recently moved to 0.2 demoversion...
Thrustmaster Formula T2... XF GTi at BL2.

It was going to be the first proper driving game after NFS Porsche. And it was just something way better
I saw a feature on Giga TV back in 2004 and downloaded the demo. Played it with keyboard on my laptop and somehow liked it, even though I couldn't get around T1 (or any other turn) without fully locking the tires. Something must have told me that it was a great sim, though, and thus LFS played a major role in my decision to get a new PC -- and a wheel. Got it soon afterwards and messed around offline for quite some time before I ventured online, which was a really interesting experience for me, as I had really no experience with the whole online thing. I never chatted and wasn't a user of online forums either, I mainly used the internet for research. So, actually, LFS had quite a large impact which went far beyond the pc-gaming part
Quote from pb32000 :Played the demo from a PC Gamer disc back in summer 2004 i think :S . Either way, was just hooked. Bought S1 soon after that..

i got exactly the same mag man, i asked for a racing mag and got a PC mag with doom on the front lol, i tohught, meh ill play this 'live for speed' anyway!
The year was probably 2004 when I played it for the first time.. I also thought that this sucks because I played it with mouse or keyboard..
Maybe a year later I tried it with wheel for the first time, and thought ''wtf, this is the most realistic car game i've ever played''
Then there was a little break, I never played it online, dunno why..

In the end of 2006 we had an idea on Finnish Volvo forum that why dont we give it a try online, and then i've played it a lot till today..

Now its probably the one of the most played games i've ever owned.
I'm cars fanatic since ever. I just love cars. I love computers too. As my dad likes both like me, we had computer in house like since ever. He bought me a wheel too. It wasn't some superior wheel but its better then keyboard.

I raced all kinds of games (Colin McRae Rally, Richard Burns Rally, Need for Speed |every one, till NFS 1-carbon|, gtr, gtr2, gt legends, jucied, and other that i just cant remember).

As my friend always buys BUG magazine, there is DVD. At May 2005 there was LFS 0.5K version. I installed it as most of other demos. I thought it's just one more crap. I didn't like the graphics, the sound and many other things.

Ok back to my GTR. But the devil was there, i had to try it on-line. And then it all begins. You actually race whit real people, the is no stupid AI controled cars. As I was on dial-up that was expensive hobby. 2-3 months latter the bills have come. I gut 4 month penalty. No computer other internet.

I stopped to play for some time, but when I got my computer back I played mostly Hot Lapps. LFS phisycs are just amazing, they are almost like real!

Starting to learn more and more, and after one year I was again on the edge to get to big bills again. This time they were normal Over the 2006 summer I worked and bought myself brand new MOMO, and in December 2006 i finally found someone whit credit card to get me S2. And now I had S2 and still on dial-up. I hotlapped like maniac and you can see I have around 60 hot lapps. I lerned S2 tracks like this and S2 cars. But still XRT's my favor since demo days But for this new year school brake i went on line to much again and bills are here. Now I have to walk from bus every night for 3 km (2 miles), but at the end of February 2007 I finally got broadband. 512/128 kbits - 4 GB download per month!

And now I'm crazy for on line races. Racing on STCC like maniac but i just love it I'm XRT addict

In 16 days I got from 5k to 34k points. And soon it will be Titanium. I love my ADSL and now i can race in leagues too.
Finally I have everything i need before my 18th birthday in 8 days.
Well it was about 3 years ago. I did not like how menus looked and then the tire scream when you turned the wheel in low speed was so unrealistic that I couldn't take it seriously. After the S2 demo release I tried it again, and now it all felt better. I'm mostly racing offline, doing hotlap competitions with my friends, because of very little time for online racing right now. Out of all the modern racing titles the LFS has been most satisfying for me.
I first tried the demo around 4 years ago, I think around the time Gran Turismo 2 was being touted around, and I remember thinking how good LFS looked and how much better the cars handled. Not having a steering wheel, however I didn't play it much, and didn't try it online at all.

In February this year, I finally got round to buying a proper FF wheel with the intention of getting TOCA, also as my annual bonus from work was quite big, I spashed out on the head-tracking device TrackIR4. To my disappointment I found that TOCA 3 didn't support TrackIR, so had a hunt around for a driving sim that did - lo and behold on the list was a 'that LFS game' a demo of which I'd quite enjoyed a few years ago, and the tools for which I now had.

I've been driving online now for about a month, my lap-times are steadily increasing, and as yet, I've never caused carnage on T1....
Always been interested in racing from REVS on the C64, Indycar Racing, F1, GPL, Motorcity online beta and all the NFS's, CM Rally's and a few other rally games. Been playing Tribes and Tribes 2 I think about 5-6 solid years almost daily however with only a slight interest in racing as a temp distraction.
I did however 'always' have a steering wheel for some reason and cannot even remember really why/how I bought the first one or what it was called. (steel steering column attached to a plate that you had to put the monitor on)

Found LFS as most promising game on BHM site a few years ago and downloaded it. Took my first lap in XFG on BL immediately online and "WOW" this feels real. I've hardly played any other game since (also because of time) and got WOW-ed again when S2 came out in how much better that felt.

I expect to be WOW-ed a lot more before the LFS ride is finished
I played a demo many years back, and spent a lot of time driving offline just getting the feel of it, then for some reason i stopped playing it(probably GP3/4 addiction)
I then checked it out again when i got a demo in PC Gamer, i imagine it was 2004 as that's when i appear to have joined this forum. I played a while online and quite enjoyed it, but for some reason i stopped playing it, probably more GP4 addiction
I managed to avoid it for the next few years, GTR and RBR took over my simming life ,then last year i got into nKPro and nothing else would do after that. i was totally hooked...nothing has ever felt so good to drive imo.
But, the lack of pick up racing in NetkarPro eventually led me to look for something else to race...theres no point having fantastic race cars and no-one to race.
Having tried GTR2 and r-factor, and hating them, i was left with no choice.LFS was the only thing left to try.

I downloaded the Demo, did a few laps at Blackwood, and really started to get into it..it certainly felt really good.
I jumped online and had a few races and was pleasantly surprised at the netcode. Some of the driving around me was poor, but the overall experience was great
I knew almost instantly that i wanted more....i also knew that i didnt have enough cash in the bank to pay for it. "oh bugger it" i thought...lets see if the payment will go through on my debit card ( i didn't think it would let me go overdrawn)....i gave it a go.. payment accepted! Whooop!
I downloaded the Team Inferno setups and jumped into 'RedlineRacing' FOX at Blackwood and found myself doing pretty poorly, but loving it!
The next day i did a lot of racing..mainly FOX at Aston Club and had a lot of top 4 finishes (when i didnt get taken out at T1:razz and found my lap times tumbling.
That was it...the LFS addiction started. I've raced every day since the 3rd Feb and i love this sim. Soon i will have my Platinum STCC licence, then begins the long haul to Titanium.......I'll get there in the end and ill have a great time getting there.
Long live LFS

Edit....BTW, i was charged £30 for going overdrawn, so LFS ended up costing me £54.....and it is still worth every penny of that
I suppose it was in the 0.04 version. My friend had caught it from somewhere, and got me hooked too

Ah, the old days...

Edit: Didn't remember my registering date was February 2003 :jawdrop:
Edit2: Why isn't there a generic :O -smiley?
I think it was Bob who first installed LFS demo on my pc back in summer of 2003. Back then though i was well into MOH and MBTR so did very little racing untill the autumn when I actually bought s1.

Seems so long ago now!

anyway.. Cheers Bob!
#46 - Nobo
I tried As National with the GTR's and i sucked so badly and was so angry about the wasted money that i went to the oval and went backwards around the track and crashed as much drivers as i could
Now i know that the money wasnt wasted
i was looking up NFS and i saw lfs and loved it it was hard with keyboard but i got the hang of it been demo ever since
I found out about it through planetside, was a demo'er in that (well trial) saw a post on the forums, ranted about flatout (orginal) downloaded the demo... two days later i got s2, Im slow, and can cause crashs sometimes, but god damn i just love the feeling, specially when beating my pb's, or winning due to the rest of the field being hotlappers (fast but only on one or two laps). Im consistant, don't crash often, but have a problem breaking my old/slow lines
#49 - Goop
september '02, played the demo with mouse (after being massively disappointed with codemasters' latest offering) - "yeah, this is how it should be done"
Quote from Goop :september '02, played the demo with mouse (after being massively disappointed with codemasters' latest offering) - "yeah, this is how it should be done"

Pretty much the same as me, but 5 years prior

Your first time
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG