The online racing simulator
Momo Red, Black or DFP?
(33 posts, started )
Momo Red, Black or DFP?
I know this is a topic that has been gone over and over, but if you had a choice of a Momo red, black or DFP wheel, which one would you pick? Its to replace my MS Sidewinder non-FF. I've read a lot about the pedals failing on all of them, which is a pain because my sidewinder ones have never given me a problem.

Overall I think the momo red looks really nice and solid, but I really like the sound of 900 degrees rotation, and having a sequential shifter. So I'm really torn.

Thanks.
I'm happy with my DFP due to the 900* and tons of useable buttons on the wheel. I don't need to reach the keyboard while I'm racing. The DFP rocks!
I vote for MOMO Red
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
i would take the red momo.

then sell it on ebay for 200€, buy a new DFP for 80€ and spend the 120€ on something else
Thanks for the replies so far..leaning towards the DFP I think..which wheel would be more reliable out of the mono red or DFP? I race daily and my driving isn't brilliant so it'll get lots of abuse.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Regarding the DFP and its huge rotation: Presumably there's some hardware stop or something that stops the wheel at 900 degrees, but when you select a lower range (say, 720, 270, 540), what is it that stops the wheel from turning further? Is it just the motor?

There is a really strong feedback that stops you. And by really strong i mean really strong
driving force pro pwns all untill that $700 speed 7 wheel comes out.
Just recently swapped from a black momo to a DFP, prefer the DFP I think.

Black momo has served me well though, just is very bulky compared to the DFP, has fewer buttons.. Nice wheel shape though
DFP it is. Helps that its cheaper than the Momo red, and I don't like the sound of the black one.

Thanks for your help
My DFP turned up in the mail today Nice unit, although its very very different to drive than my old non-FF sidewinder.

Can anyone recommend some good settings for the forcefeedback stuff? I've been having a play with them but can't get it feeling nice without getting very twitchy.
#11 - OPK
Don´t choose the 900° mode, you will be too slow

Seperate pedals on, Force effects on and 100%, everything else off in the controller setting by Logitech.
Quote from OPK :Don´t choose the 900° mode, you will be too slow

Seperate pedals on, Force effects on and 100%, everything else off in the controller setting by Logitech.

Yupp... 720° are sufficient, as this is how far the wheels turn ingame
OK I was just using 540, I'll try 720 now.

What settings ingame should I use? In the logitech panel I've turned everything to 0 except effects which is on 100%, seperate pedals enabled (I never knew that could make so much difference to FWD's..).
Quote from Rtsbasic :OK I was just using 540, I'll try 720 now.

What settings ingame should I use? In the logitech panel I've turned everything to 0 except effects which is on 100%, seperate pedals enabled (I never knew that could make so much difference to FWD's..).

Exactly my settings.

And ingame in the steering settings, there is something like "wheel compensation" (Dunno for sure, as I don'thave it installed at work...) you have to set to 1. This way, the wheel ingame will always be synchronous to your dfp. The FF-"barrier" still is at 720 though, but I don't notice that while racing, as I rarely use full lock. (and if, theres no prob with "overlocking" a few degrees)
OK Thanks guys, starting to get the hang of it a bit now What do you use for FF strength ingame?

Also, is there a way to use the shift paddles and the shift stick? So I can use either pending on if I'm on a corner or straight bit.
Now it's me that am thinking about a new wheel.

I had 2 MS ffb wheels, but the first stopped working due to an electronics fault (actually it works for some minutes, than the communication with the pc starts to fail, until it simply acts as disconnected), and the second has already got worn.

Now I'm thinking on buying a DFP or a black Momo.

One thing that I don't like about the MS wheels is that the pedal response is a bit slow (like the communication rate is not enough). And for me, I give 90% of importance to precision of the wheel and pedals.

DFP has lots of buttons and 900 degrees rotation (that may be useful for something someday), but the black momo is highly rated for it's precision (the red momo as some says is the king, but pretty impossible to buy one from here).

So, how DFP compares with black Momo regarding precision and fast responses ? And do DFP have any issue with other simulators for PC (since I'm not willing to buy a wheel just for LFS) ?
many of your questions have been answered many times before.

The wheel is actually more precise than the momo and its worked well with all the games i've tried. Live For speed, GPL, GTL, GTR, RBR, Racer... NFS,
DFP works just as black MOMO works. If it doesn't work in some non-sim game which has bad overall wheel support that kind of game probably sucks anyway.

Compared to black MOMO, DFP looks worse (the stupid GT4 logo?) and the wheel is slightly smaller. Shift paddles are also crappy (too small) in DFP. At least so they say. And the annoying "SCREEEEEECH" sound which FF motor produces when fastly steering is also a bit louder but it's annoying in black MOMO too. You just need to think do you want 900-degree steering.
well, I actually don't care much about the 900º rotation, but the DFP have more buttons than the Momo black, that looks interesting.

but I would trade the extra buttons and 900º rotation easily for more precision and faster controller response, as well a better feedback. IMO the MS ff wheel lacks a faster response and precision on the pedals, but the wheel itself has a very good precision and fast answers.

about the noises, every FF wheel make noises, so I'm quite used to it.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I have a dfp and I couldn't really pick out any faults in it other than the pedals are a bit sucky but all the other entry level setups have crap pedals too so it's not on it's own. I thought the shifter buttons would be too small and awkward at first, but to be honest I rarely find myself in a jam when reaching for the gears as most of the driving in games like LFS and rF etc is precision driving so you're already lined up and in gear for a clean entry anyways.

I sometimes struggle with the shifters when trying to drift or Rally cross in LFS sometimes but you should be using the gearstick for that type of driving anyway so it's not really an issue.

Another thing with the DFP is the build quality, it looks a bit toyish on the surface but it's supposedly quite solid with metal bearing and fittings inside similar to the momo red, the black momo has plastic fittings and can often lead to play in the wheel, dead spots and crunching noises after it's seen a bit of use.
My £0.02

I have not tried the DFP or MOMO Red myself, but I've recently purchased a MOMO Racing (Black) and I am very impressed. I moved from the Formula Force GP and there is a big difference is quality.

FFB and general control of the MOMO Racing is excellent. 6 buttons I find are enough, no problems there. Stick shift and paddles are great

Well designed and feels great; recommended.
The shift stick is actually pretty good after you get used to the weird placing. Altough it feels like a toy. I use the stick in Richard Burns Rally, altough the cars simulated in RBR has shift flaps so it's kinda stupid but gives more immersion. The biggest problem with the stick is that hands have a lot more to do... the stick felt actually so good in RBR that didn't want to put that knob to my FFShifter (which is currently in the closet, got to find a another knob).
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've said this before but...

I got the DFP because the Momo didn't have enough buttons. I use 400 degrees of rotation and that's quite nice to have, but I wish the stupid shift paddles didn't suck so much. The other day I downshifted twice from 6th gear in the MRT and found myself in 1st. I managed to do the same thing on the same corner a few laps later.

The wheel is sort-of notchy-feeling, but I imagine all wheels at this price are much the same. Other than that (and the stupid paddles) I don't have any complaints about it.

That happenes a lot with my MS wheel, the way that I prevented it was pressing the paddle exactly in the middle. When it started to give too much problems, I changed the switch (could find one exactly like the original as replacement on a electronics store).

How are the possible rotation configurations for DFP ? Can I use 240 degrees ? It look like pretty dumb using lower rotation, but I believe that driving the FO8 with 900 degrees of rotation, even with wheel turn compensation in 1.0, is probably impossible.
I would like to hear some thoughts from people who have changed from Microsoft wheel (FF or non FF) to a logitech wheel since I'm thinking about updating to FF era The wiring seems to be the same in MS pedals and in Logitech pedals so it might be possible to avoid those pedal troubles and use my old MS pedals...? (I can change the pots in my pedals to the logitech ones, if needed)
Quote from Hyperactive :I would like to hear some thoughts from people who have changed from Microsoft wheel (FF or non FF) to a logitech wheel since I'm thinking about updating to FF era The wiring seems to be the same in MS pedals and in Logitech pedals so it might be possible to avoid those pedal troubles and use my old MS pedals...? (I can change the pots in my pedals to the logitech ones, if needed)

You're playing currently without FF? :O

Momo Red, Black or DFP?
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG