The online racing simulator
LRF Server
(139 posts, started )
Quote from SamH :
Are 10 hay bales and a red/white barrier in view going to impact fps to the point that an alternative is needed? That's the more relevent question. Apart from visual clutter, of course.

By the time a couple are flying around the place I get under 10 fps at the Fe Green chicane, even I'd expect over 20 on my computer
it's not vykos' fault lrf servers aren't popular ! the lrf class is just not that popular and by limiting the most popular car of this class (lx6) to platinum users (still don't know why), many racers don't even bother to join.
Quote from Fetzo :it's not vykos' fault lrf servers aren't popular ! the lrf class is just not that popular and by limiting the most popular car of this class (lx6) to platinum users (still don't know why), many racers don't even bother to join.

Personally I want to race LRF but unfortunately it seems there's never anybody else racing them so I guess most like me have stopped looking at the LRF/LX4 servers which is a shame, given the number of capable racers out there I think a lot would rather race LRF than the honestly rather dull TBO class (IMO anything to phase out the FXO is a great move).

The problem is I don't want to race LRFs round As Club Rev, they need a longer and faster track to be fun, Ky GP, Westhill, Fe Black etc.
Everyone said that long tracks wouldn't work in the XFG / XRG. I left the LRF's running a full track rotation because I know out in the real world some crazy racing drivers take Caterhams around Knockhill which isnt exactly a long track. I'm sure there's fun to be had on short tracks in sim racing too.

The reason you want space I suspect is to avoid other drivers, hopefully the silver licence requirement will go some way to preventing the need for the extra safety margin.

EDIT: When i've looked the LRF server is not as popular as STCC2, but it does get some action.
You've really catered for the gentleman drivers out with this guys.

I've been driving the longer selection of tracks today, that was nice. it suits this style or car quite nicely.

can't wait to get my platinum, and get my hands on the LX6!
Quote from Becky Rose :EDIT: When i've looked the LRF server is not as popular as STCC2, but it does get some action.

I've still seen no plug for the LRF server on the other STCC servers so most racers won't know of the LRF servers existence. Also a lot of people connect then disconnect straight away, I think the fact that the server message says Platinum license only may be confusing people.
Quote :Also a lot of people connect then disconnect straight away, I think the fact that the server message says Platinum license only may be confusing people.

The disconnecting straight away is because you need a bronze licence to join the server. The problem used to occur that unlicenced drivers would cause lag as they joined race and got booted - by restricting higher servers spectator access to bronze and above, most people new to STCC have the concept by then.

I had the server renamed a while ago now, it is called Silver & Up not Platinum. I just double checked and it definately hasnt reverted back to its old name.

As for wider marketting of the server, i'll consider it. It's an experiment at the moment.
Quote from Becky Rose :I had the server renamed a while ago now, it is called Silver & Up not Platinum. I just double checked and it definately hasnt reverted back to its old name.

Server message still says 'Platinum only' and personally I've always assumed that message is more likely to be kept up to date than the server name. Not an urgent thing but it is a bit misleading.
Aha that message! This would be the one that advertises broadcast 5 as new then hehe.

One small snag there is it appears to share the same welcome message text file as the 3a server, so I cant update this easily. I'll have to give Sam a holler to make the change and restart the server.
Well, the welcome message also says "STCC broadcast number 5 released-something".

The newest is the 6th :shhh:

I just wanted to say that, people, omgz, please race on the LRF server. An empty server is not a fun server! The LRF cars can provide great racing and with the addition of the LX4 even closer racing is possible. Use the server!

[/end of commercial]
Great idea Becky. Yet again.

This is just the sort of progression someone like me needs. Having gained my platinum but can't commit or even dream of thinking I could race competativily but still wanting to be involved this server is a great move. Does mean I have to develop yet more sets to cope with my kac handed mousing but thats all the fun of the fair.

I havn't had the chance to do some serious racing on there, took the FZ out for a spin but that car will need some serious work if it will cope with long races without completly massacaring it's rear tyres. Racing the LX6 really appeals.

I don't really know enough about the class or your points system to be able to pass constructive comments about your system but what is the point? Don't take that the wrong way. With the other servers you have a goal to aim for, a progression up the ranks and cars to ultimatly being placed for a spot in the race series. But what of this class? Apart from top notch racing against like minded racers that is. I must admit I do like it's exclusivity. It's what I've worked for. Lets hope it can gain popularity . . .

Maybe you have discussed (I think I have read the suggestion earlier in the post) about having a parrallel race series to companion your main feature race. Prehaps a support race system could be thought about. Would make for a jampacked broadcast adding to your already hectic work load but I think that is a possible reward system you could implement to gain popularility . . . .

But whatever . . . .Your empire is expanding. Good work.
I've been approached a number of times by people wanting me to run leagues with LFS and other sims, and also by people wanting me to broadcast their leagues, but the long and the short of it is there is just 1 of me and I have a day job - so any new league has an instant price tag of $40k p/a...

In terms of what is the point, well it's all part of the same licence system and as you've already reached platinum for you there is no longer an ultimate goal - just the knowledge that you can race in a licenced server with recourse for action against miscreants.

I'm not sure what I can do to improve popularity of the LRF class. It's a limit of the userbase more than anything.
in fact you are limiting the userbase for that server yourself. as i said, the most popular and fastest car of them all is not available to most of the racers. the lx6. there aren't just that many platinum users.

rac is a weirdo and fz50 just eats its tyres. the forced throttle cut doesn't bring more fun into it, too.
The LRF market is small anyway, and where it's vocal is mostly on the forum. It doesn't translate to the track at all. The throttle cut on upshift is an STCC stipulation, rather than relating in any way to the drivability of any individual car. Since it's run by and associated with the STCC league, the driver aids and the track layouts are common to both the league and the public servers. Right or wrong is subjective. The one universal truth in this regard is that it's "STCC"
Sam, shouldn't you be in bed?

I dunno, I enjoy the LRF class, but its just too hard to race with becuase of the insane twitchyness, the way to pass is to be extremely ballsy at risk of incidentally lag-wrecking someone, or wait for them to make the inevitable mistake (unless you're Hannu)
I am, now LOL! Just got done watching the Australian F1 gand prix

Yep, these are harder cars to learn, though very rewarding when you do. I figure they're too steep of a learning curve for many. The LX6 is my fave.. the RAC and FZ50 are fun, but I can't be competitive in them.
The RAC and FZ5 feel like I'm driving on ice, the LX6 is so much more fun.
Would it be possble to allow quali sessions on the LRF server? Every now and then when I join the server is usually empty and driving races alone is kinda boring...
Quote from SamH :The LRF market is small anyway, and where it's vocal is mostly on the forum. It doesn't translate to the track at all. The throttle cut on upshift is an STCC stipulation, rather than relating in any way to the drivability of any individual car. Since it's run by and associated with the STCC league, the driver aids and the track layouts are common to both the league and the public servers. Right or wrong is subjective. The one universal truth in this regard is that it's "STCC"

for drivers who used to cut the throttle by themselves, it's less fun. you can't race like you are used to do. but that wasn't the main point, i was trying to make...

Quote from SamH :The LX6 is my fave.. the RAC and FZ50 are fun, but I can't be competitive in them.

...this is.
Quote :for drivers who used to cut the throttle by themselves, it's less fun.

But nobody did cut the throttle, everyone in LFS flatshifts. This is why the aid is forced on. Also remember if you manual clutch you can turn throttle cut off again, so if your wheel has 3 pedals then go for it. This was done as a balancing measure to return some lost time to people with stick shifts. If it's realism you are after, a 3 pedal + stick shift arrangement is what you need , otherwise the throttle cutting is doing something that nobody bothers with usually, when in real racing, they would.
Quote from Becky Rose :But nobody did cut the throttle, everyone in LFS flatshifts. This is why the aid is forced on.

the problem is the real effect of this is nerfing the rac
Quote from Becky Rose :But nobody did cut the throttle, everyone in LFS flatshifts. This is why the aid is forced on. Also remember if you manual clutch you can turn throttle cut off again, so if your wheel has 3 pedals then go for it. This was done as a balancing measure to return some lost time to people with stick shifts. If it's realism you are after, a 3 pedal + stick shift arrangement is what you need , otherwise the throttle cutting is doing something that nobody bothers with usually, when in real racing, they would.

well not everyone is flatshifting and having the engine cut automatically sounds for me, like there is something wrong with my lfs.

i really regret that i have added this little sentence to my post up there, as it was not the reason i wrote that post. in fact it is REALLY NOT that important to me.

again......the point i was trying to make is, that by limiting the lx6 to platinum users, you are making it much harder for the lrf server to be a success. you wondered what you could do to make the lrf server more popular, so my recommendation would be to make the lx6 available to more racers.

i don't see the reason why the lx6 is only for platinums.
p.s.:
if you are thinking about quoting and replying only to the first sentence of this post and ignore the rest of it, pls ignore the whole post.
IMO it's perfectly valid to have platnium only racers running LX6. Chances are these people are very quick in the LX4 and normal drivers wouldn't have a chance anyways.

Even if you do know the LX4 well there are still many things that every driver could learn from using the LX4 more until they have platinum. Besides the racing is closer giving better opportunities for people to practice their racecraft.

Get everyone in an LX6 it would more closer to that of hotlapping with the exception of some people who are mainly platinum drivers by now anyways. Not everyone, but alot of them =)

Also you make more points in the LX4 than the LX6 so with everyone running LX4 you make more points per race anyways.

LRF Server
(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG