The online racing simulator
bloody nice setup there mate

Hope yah enjoy your LFS experience.
Donnie Darko

Cool setup.
Quote from wark :Donnie Darko

Cool setup.

good eyes! also box sets of lain and last exile...
Very cool setup. Glad you're enjoying it! See you on track sometime soon I hope.
in the wise words of Peter Griffen:

"Friggin Sweet"
Dennis, just read through this thread and I want to say great work on the DP1. Hope it makes it into LFS at some point, and I hope to see you around online eventually. You seem like you're pretty busy, but if you ever get interested in LFS league racing, there are a couple of great North American leagues going on.
I just awanted to add that you want to use the race_s setups and not the default setups in the cars. I'm sure you are familiar with the "drive what you have got to learn the car" philosophy but the default setups are quite slow and can be quite hard to drive. If you want really fast setups you can look at Team inferno's setup site. They have a nice collection of fast setups, though some of them are quite tuned for extreme one lap performance but they are certainly fast. Talking about setups you may want to check our setup section here

Enjoy the sim but not too much
I'd advise tweaking the wheel settings it makes a huge difference, most important is to check that you're using seperate pedal axes which I hope the G25 does by default (DFP didn't). Check these settings and make sure that the wheel turn in LFS setting is similar to your wheel turn in the Logitech profiler. Check here for a good setup guide for the DFP/G25.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/ ... p=2178816&postcount=1

As for sets, I'd take Bob's easy race pack they understeer a bit but are much closer to converntional real life setup philosophy than the fast setups.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=279
Quote from ajp71 :I'd advise tweaking the wheel settings it makes a huge difference, most important is to check that you're using seperate pedal axes which I hope the G25 does by default (DFP didn't).

Nope, it's still combined by default (for whatever reason Logitech could possibly have)... :doh:
Quote from bbman :Nope, it's still combined by default (for whatever reason Logitech could possibly have)... :doh:

According to their driver software, combined axis is "used for most games". But seeing as the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel from years ago didn't even have a combined option, it really doesn't seem likely that many games are unable to function with separate axes. I did ask Logitech to put that as default, because it's causing problems for new users, and they said they'd have an investigation into the possibility of putting separate axes as default. Obviously they didn't agree with me after carrying out their investigation.

Come on Logitech, you make the best wheels, get that separate axes on by default, it's the 21st century now!

P.S. If anyone can name any driving games or simulators that don't support dual axes, please let us know, so we can try to understand why Logitech believe this is the best default option. Personally I can't even understand why combined axis is even offered as an option at all, but then I don't know their entire target market of supported games.
Quote from Scawen :According to their driver software, combined axis is "used for most games". But seeing as the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel from years ago didn't even have a combined option, it really doesn't seem likely that many games are unable to function with separate axes.

The Sidewinder Wheel that i have is on combined on default settings. I had to look for some drivers to get them seperated (i even had to use DXTweak2 to get them to work) just like it was with the DFP. Are you maybe mistaking this?
Quote from Scawen :According to their driver software, combined axis is "used for most games". But seeing as the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel from years ago didn't even have a combined option, it really doesn't seem likely that many games are unable to function with separate axes. I did ask Logitech to put that as default, because it's causing problems for new users, and they said they'd have an investigation into the possibility of putting separate axes as default. Obviously they didn't agree with me after carrying out their investigation.

Come on Logitech, you make the best wheels, get that separate axes on by default, it's the 21st century now!

P.S. If anyone can name any driving games or simulators that don't support dual axes, please let us know, so we can try to understand why Logitech believe this is the best default option. Personally I can't even understand why combined axis is even offered as an option at all, but then I don't know their entire target market of supported games.

only game i know of is NFS most wanted (i know it isnt a sim, but it somewhat resembles driving, ish), and split axis didnt work with that, although that was probably me doing something daft.
Quote from S0ul :The Sidewinder Wheel that i have is on combined on default settings. I had to look for some drivers to get them seperated (i even had to use DXTweak2 to get them to work) just like it was with the DFP. Are you maybe mistaking this?

You're correct, at least for the Sidewinder FF. You have to download the v4 drivers, which Microsoft doesn't even offer on their site (you have to go to driverguide.com or whatever to get it). It's a real hassle. :[
Quote from Scawen :According to their driver software, combined axis is "used for most games". But seeing as the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel from years ago didn't even have a combined option,

Quote from S0ul :The Sidewinder Wheel that i have is on combined on default settings. I had to look for some drivers to get them seperated (i even had to use DXTweak2 to get them to work) just like it was with the DFP. Are you maybe mistaking this?

The microsoft wheel has combined and separate modes which are toggleable throught the Sidewinder controller software. And iirc some games years ago didn't even work with separate controls, can't remember any names but it was over 5 years ago...

S0ul, are you using the 4.0 driver versions for the MS wheel?

EDIT: link for the 4.0 software: http://ipxroel.dyndns.info/sid ... ack_wheel_drivers_4.0.zip
Check also the link in my sig
Quote from Hyperactive :The microsoft wheel has combined and separate modes which are toggleable throught the Sidewinder controller software. And iirc some games years ago didn't even work with separate controls, can't remember any names but it was over 5 years ago...

S0ul, are you using the 4.0 driver versions for the MS wheel?

EDIT: link for the 4.0 software: http://ipxroel.dyndns.info/sid ... ack_wheel_drivers_4.0.zip
Check also the link in my sig

Thanks i used those^^But im using a DFP now but thanks anyways
WTCC:Race doesn't work well with split axis, you loose the first half of the throttle pedal travel, making it more sensitive than it should be. This is the case on my G25 anyway.

Even most NFS games support split axis..thats saying something. This isn't 1997 anymore Logitech
Quote from Scawen :

trackmania
Quote from Scawen :Personally I can't even understand why combined axis is even offered as an option at all, but then I don't know their entire target market of supported games.

To stop people with especially large feet stomping on both pedals and screwing up the car?

And Trackmania.

EDIT : Bear in mind that many more recent logitech products were designed for both the PS2 and PC. For the PS2, analog axis throttle and brake controls are generally done on one axis.

OT : Hang on ... if xbox (not 360 AFAIK) uses USB with a different connector end, maybe a Logitech (or other manufacturer for that matter) USB wheel could be put on an xbox ...
I've thought about this, duke.

Would the X-box game have the driver to support said logitech wheel it wasn't designed for?
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :I've thought about this, duke.

Would the X-box game have the driver to support said logitech wheel it wasn't designed for?

Good point. I guess there's only one way to find out, but you can trust me to **** up anything however simple involving electronics.
Quote from dpcars :
it's definitely educational and i continue to be more and more impressed with lfs. very cool.

Glad its working for you, but i have to laugh at the Tiny little speakers next to that Huge Screen!

Good to see you up and racing, well, virtually anyway.

Is there going to be a new LFS page on your site anytime soon. (j/k)
i feel like i need to have some real progress on the cars to post about before i post about lfs

but on the subject of lfs, i've been messing with tweaks and things are better. the biggest problem i'm having right now is detecting when the back end is about to step out on a rear-driver. sensing the rear slip rate is totally a seat-of-pants thing and i have not yet figured out how to clue in on it in the sim. trying not to spend TOO much time on it though. been wrapping up some projects for clients so i can get back to the cars. but i'll definitely continue to experiment wth lfs.

and no, you won't see me playing online for quite some time.
Quote from dpcars :well, now that i have the wheel set up and working, it's like learning to drive all over again. the major revelation is just how much i rely on 'seat of pants' inputs in real life for car control. the g loads, the slip at either end, car rotation, etc. of course a simulator cannot reproduce all of those (yes, i'm aware of the force dynamics 'pc peripheral' ). so i've been working through the training lessons. i can definitely state that i'm not a 'natural talent' at sim driving. but i'm getting better - most lessons i'm now doing at 'quick' status though none at 'pro' yet. i have maybe an hour total sim time so far. now that i'm getting better calibrated to the feedbacks that are there (wheel ff, sound, visual) i can begin to make up for the missing ones.

it's definitely educational and i continue to be more and more impressed with lfs. very cool.

i recognize that view...... are you wearing the helmet cam?
Lain and Last Exile, good calls
By the way, to make LFS look somewhat prettier you can try Electrik Kar's texture packs. They can be found here. They really are top notch stuff.
I'd first download the DaweWS' soundpack. The original sounds are bad.

linky

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG