The online racing simulator
Vcom tool and rotator
(131 posts, started )
Just working on it. I made 2 new admin commands to help debug it. !rotator showing what's going on inside the rotator and !rotate which kicks the track change immediately. Those might be useful otherwise too.

I tested it offline...working fine
I tested it in dedi server...working fine with just me driving

I would like to test it with some more people on.
Here's the code you want for Boost's name m8.

[^0[AA] ^C^3┬εε╛≥] - UCID=51 admin=1
Quote from Punchy :Here's the code you want for Boost's name m8.

[^0[AA] ^C^3┬εε╛≥] - UCID=51 admin=1

Thanks mate. I look more to it later.

Quote :
output_directory=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\out; is this possible as it seems not to work.

That's because it should be
output_directory=C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/out;
(use / not \)

Cheers

EDIT: It might be better if the messages which are not generally useful, or which are more private in nature, would be private mailed to me instead. That would keep this thread shorter. Thank you.
Just wondering, where can I find a latest version of vCom? Only d/l I can find is for 0.455 - surely there must be a more recent one?

TIA
You can also see Vcom in action at SCORE server. Server alternates on a bi-weekly basis between S2 and demo mode. Output files (xml) can be found in www.score.does.it in the XR Challenge and RallyX sections.
Thanks Aquifiler, got it, and it's (almost) working!

Problem is, although the ROTATE tool is showing as 'ON', It does not rotate the tracks automatically, and when I (as admin) hit the command '!rotate' I get:
Quote :Admin called track rotation....
FAILED

What could be the cause please?

[EDIT]

Please ignore the question...I found the cause
Thanks anyway
[/EDIT]
Warning! Newbie with Dumb Questions Posting...
Okay, you've been warned, here it comes.

Is there a link or site that has a "using Vcom for dummies" readme or a setup quide for guys like me who are basically clueless when it comes to programming and running servers and the like? Basically, I just want to use this great sounding program to keep track of my stats offline without having to log onto the internet (which I can't do with the computer it's on) and setting up a server.

I've installed Vcom into its' own directory like it says to do, opened up the setup file and looked for the LFS port setting and changed that to what it says in the game. I start Vcom and and see a Dos box open up and run through a bunch of stuff too fast to read and then see a message saying it's waiting for LFS to start (something like that, sorry, I'm at work now and can't run it again to get the exact wording) and then I start LFS and figured out I had to hit the "/" key and then entered insim with the port number like the readme says. I then do some hotlapping to get some times going and then exit LFS and look for anything I can find that will have the info but don't find anything. Vcom doesn't seem to be running at this point and I look through all the folders and see no new files with the current date so nothing appears to be written.

Now stop laughing and point out what stupid obvious thing I'm missing/not doing so I can get this good program working please. Thanks a lot for any help you can give, and more importantly for your patience!
Requirements:
- Vcom installed (just unzipped with the directory structure)
- If you want to use the Winamp plugin, copy it into Winamp plugins directory (winamp main dir?)
- You must have IP stack (TCP/IP in Windows network settings)
- If you have a firewall, let it pass vcom<->lfs traffic through

1) Config (For example these work if lfs and vcom in the same computer)
vcom_address=127.0.0.1:29997;
lfs_address=127.0.0.1:29999;
modes=65535;
( DO NOT FORGET END ; !!!!)
You can skip the step 1 while the setup works like intended
2) Start Winamp (or any other player you use) (if not already on)
3) Start VCom
4) Start LFS and in LFS press T for text box and type "/insim 29999" (without "")
Note: If you use different port than 29999, set it in the setup too. Also the vcom and lfs ports must not be the same! Port should be max 65535, and generally anything between 20000-65535 shouldn't conflict with any other program very often.

If you want the window stay after VCom has stopped, you can first start command prompt and running it from it (cd to the dir first and then type vcom)

When it starts it should display in LFS a text like...

VCom:Version 0.472 - Initialized

Also if you look at the command prompt, you can see it shows messages like...
[html]
VCom running in SERVER mode
Start the main loop...
[/html]

And it should display messages when you drive (at splits, end of laps, etc). When you are in the track entry screen, try type e.g !ver, which should then display the version.

The logs are saved into the /log directory and other (XML) files into the user defined output directory (normally /out).

If this doesn't work, put the setup somewhere (in net) and PM me the link and I have a look at it.
Thanks for your reply!

Quote from Aquilifer :Requirements:
- Vcom installed (just unzipped with the directory structure)
- If you want to use the Winamp plugin, copy it into Winamp plugins directory (winamp main dir?)
- You must have IP stack (TCP/IP in Windows network settings)
- If you have a firewall, let it pass vcom<->lfs traffic through

Yup, installed into its' own directory.

Don't have Winamp so I skipped this part. Do I need it for any reason? Doubt it as you said "if I want to..."

TCP/IP is enabled.

Firewall has given permission, though I've even tried it without it running.

Quote : 1) Config (For example these work if lfs and vcom in the same computer)
vcom_address=127.0.0.1:29997;
lfs_address=127.0.0.1:29999;
modes=65535;
( DO NOT FORGET END ; !!!!)

This isn't something I add, is it? I saw these entries already listed with the end so I just made sure they are the same.

Quote : You can skip the step 1 while the setup works like intended

Guess that answers my question.

Quote : 2) Start Winamp (or any other player you use) (if not already on)
3) Start VCom
4) Start LFS and in LFS press T for text box and type "/insim 29999" (without "")
Note: If you use different port than 29999, set it in the setup too. Also the vcom and lfs ports must not be the same! Port should be max 65535, and generally anything between 20000-65535 shouldn't conflict with any other program very often.

Okay, I did all this (except the Winamp part) and even used the 29999 port but everything still seems the same as in my last post, i.e., have no indication that it works and see no output files.

Quote :If you want the window stay after VCom has stopped, you can first start command prompt and running it from it (cd to the dir first and then type vcom)

Okay, I did this and see that Vcom isn't communicating at all with LFS, just keeps saying I should start it and then eventually ends with an error code of 6 unknown error.

Quote :When it starts it should display in LFS a text like...

VCom:Version 0.472 - Initialized

Also if you look at the command prompt, you can see it shows messages like...
[html]
VCom running in SERVER mode
Start the main loop...
[/html]And it should display messages when you drive (at splits, end of laps, etc). When you are in the track entry screen, try type e.g !ver, which should then display the version.

The logs are saved into the /log directory and other (XML) files into the user defined output directory (normally /out).

Yup, saw all that plus the above, unfortunately.

Quote : If this doesn't work, put the setup somewhere (in net) and PM me the link and I have a look at it.

Okay, I'll do that when I get a free moment. Thanks a lot for helping me figure this out as I've been going nuts trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong!
Quote from Avatar13 :Thanks for your reply!

Yup, installed into its' own directory.

Don't have Winamp so I skipped this part. Do I need it for any reason? Doubt it as you said "if I want to..."

TCP/IP is enabled.

Firewall has given permission, though I've even tried it without it running.

This isn't something I add, is it? I saw these entries already listed with the end so I just made sure they are the same.

Guess that answers my question.

Okay, I did all this (except the Winamp part) and even used the 29999 port but everything still seems the same as in my last post, i.e., have no indication that it works and see no output files.

Okay, I did this and see that Vcom isn't communicating at all with LFS, just keeps saying I should start it and then eventually ends with an error code of 6 unknown error.

Okay, I'll do that when I get a free moment. Thanks a lot for helping me figure this out as I've been going nuts trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Does Vcom need .net framework??
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Does Vcom need .net framework??

Heck no. I hate programs which would require installing additional stuff to work.
Quote from Avatar13 :

Winamp not needed. All things are optional and can be turned off. Disable if you do not need it.

Quote from Avatar13 :

That means it cannot make contact with lfs. No special reason, but probably it cannot find lfs open insim port.

Quote from Avatar13 :

So I assume you do not see the Vcom intialized message in LFS. (judging from the previous paragraph)

Quote from Avatar13 :

I checked it and saw no error. I even tryed running it and worked fine.

Few ideas:
First... Are you sure you have LFS 0.5 X (or newer X) version? This does NOT work in older versions (you would need 0.461 or older)

Second...Maybe there is something wrong in the network. If you have local network (home network), maybe you could try the true interface (often e.g 192.168.0.1). Other test could be downloading the dedi host and setting it in the same computer and try connecting it with the game (using 127.0.0.1). Then you could also test connecting Vcom to the dedi server. I'm not saying you need dedi server running vcom, but maybe there is something odd with the net settings.
Quote from Aquilifer :That means it cannot make contact with lfs. No special reason, but probably it cannot find lfs open insim port.

Yes, as I thought.

Quote :So I assume you do not see the Vcom intialized message in LFS. (judging from the previous paragraph)

Right, I did not.

quote]I checked it and saw no error. I even tryed running it and worked fine.[/quote]

Okay, that's good news and should narrow things a bit.

Quote : Few ideas:
First... Are you sure you have LFS 0.5 X (or newer X) version? This does NOT work in older versions (you would need 0.461 or older)

I do have the latest X version 10 installed.

Quote : Second...Maybe there is something wrong in the network. If you have local network (home network), maybe you could try the true interface (often e.g 192.168.0.1). Other test could be downloading the dedi host and setting it in the same computer and try connecting it with the game (using 127.0.0.1). Then you could also test connecting Vcom to the dedi server. I'm not saying you need dedi server running vcom, but maybe there is something odd with the net settings.

That's what I initially had when I first tried it but maybe something else was different? I'll try putting in its' network IP again and see how it goes. I'll post back in an hour or so when I"m done with work. Thanks again!
More info for ya. I was able to get things to somewhat work. After typing in the port within LFS I get:

Insim-UDP: No Slots Available and then:

Insim-UDP: Already Received ISI

and this last line just keeps repeating endlessly. I tab out to the Dos box and see the same old thing with Vcom saying it's waiting for LFS...

Any new ideas with this info? Thanks!
Quote from Avatar13 :More info for ya. I was able to get things to somewhat work. After typing in the port within LFS I get:

Insim-UDP: No Slots Available and then:

Insim-UDP: Already Received ISI

and this last line just keeps repeating endlessly. I tab out to the Dos box and see the same old thing with Vcom saying it's waiting for LFS...

Any new ideas with this info? Thanks!

Yes. I get the same messages if I intentionally fool the settings so that I try to connect LFS at 192.168.0.2 and put vcom listen interface 127.0.0.1 (in the setup)

To fix that the interfaces would need to be both 192.168.0.2 (or what ever address you have).
Quote from Aquilifer :Yes. I get the same messages if I intentionally fool the settings so that I try to connect LFS at 192.168.0.2 and put vcom listen interface 127.0.0.1 (in the setup)

To fix that the interfaces would need to be both 192.168.0.2 (or what ever address you have).

Ahhhhhh... Thanks! I'll give it a shot now.
That seemed to do the trick! Now for the next stupid question... you knew that was coming, didn't you.

I see that a .log file was created in my log folder. Opening it up just shows unreadable characters and my name. No other file was created. How do I now use this file to see my various times? Thanks again for your patience with me on this!
Quote from Avatar13 :That seemed to do the trick! Now for the next stupid question... you knew that was coming, didn't you.

I see that a .log file was created in my log folder. Opening it up just shows unreadable characters and my name. No other file was created. How do I now use this file to see my various times? Thanks again for your patience with me on this!

Well, how about looking into the /out directory? Double click the xml files (should open into a browser and look like a web page).

I guess I could have said here RTFM(read the fine manual)
(it has quite ok description of all the tools)
Quote from Aquilifer :Well, how about looking into the /out directory? Double click the xml files (should open into a browser and look like a web page).

I guess I could have said here RTFM(read the fine manual)
(it has quite ok description of all the tools)

LOL, well I did read the manual and did look in the Out folder/directory and didn't see any newly created files. No xml files in that folder at all. There are some in the xml folder but those are the ones you included. Thought it funny as while I was doing some hotlapping testing things I could see some stuff popping up in the right hand corner, assumed it was vcom related as that's where the initial message that it had initialized was, just too busy driving to see what it said. Any ideas now other than rereading the f'in manual?
just did a test again and I got it to work. I guess I didn't type the proper command to close vcom before exiting LFS? not sure but this time it did record for me. Thanks a lot again for your patience and help in getting this newbie up to speed on your great program!
#97 - Reis
Insim problems...
Please, I´m trying to run vcom but after typing "/insim=29999" I receive the LFS msg "password does not match your multiplayer admin password"

Does anyone knows what is happening? I´m new in LFS...
#98 - Reis
No more problems
Quote from Avatar13 :just did a test again and I got it to work. I guess I didn't type the proper command to close vcom before exiting LFS? not sure but this time it did record for me. Thanks a lot again for your patience and help in getting this newbie up to speed on your great program!

In the setup there is a line like this: best_laps_save_interval
Put there something over 0, or it does not the save best lap XML file. By default it is 20 (20 mins). You can put smaller. Especially in offline use it can be much smaller. It is the interval how often it automatically saves it.

It should also save it when you nicely end vcom (i.e. pressing ESC or typing the end command).

Even if it wouldn't save it your lap times are still safe in the log file.
Quote from Aquilifer :In the setup there is a line like this: best_laps_save_interval
Put there something over 0, or it does not the save best lap XML file. By default it is 20 (20 mins). You can put smaller. Especially in offline use it can be much smaller. It is the interval how often it automatically saves it.

It should also save it when you nicely end vcom (i.e. pressing ESC or typing the end command).

Even if it wouldn't save it your lap times are still safe in the log file.

Thanks, Aquilifer, I must have mistyped the end command therefore not "nicely" ending it. By changing the "best lap interval" can I get it to record and save the times from all my laps done during one hotlap session to compare and see how consistent I am doing? I'm not sure it works this way or not. If not can it be done? Thanks!

Vcom tool and rotator
(131 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG