The online racing simulator
Master Server Down [ now sorted ]
(73 posts, closed, started )
Hello racers.

You may have noticed the master server has been down for some hours. This is due to some kind of internet failure at the master's location. I have not yet been able to find out any information about this and no issue is reported on the blueyonder status pages. So what's up I don't know.

Anyway, we are moving the location of the master server and this involves some phone calls to people who haven't yet been contactable today. We can't give an estimate at this time but hopefully this won't be more than a few hours.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

[ EDIT : new thread with new info http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=18846 ]
Quote from Scawen : This is due to some kind of internet failure at the master's location.

I blame The Doctor and his sonic screwdriver
#3 - Bean0
In the LFSWorld chatbox, Victor said that he needs to change DNS records for the new box.

In my experience this can take up to 48 hours to propogate, is their anything we can do in the meantime like editing our HOSTS file ?
There are currently 1 racers online in LFS. (0 Demo - 1 Licensed)

who's the lucky one ?
Quote from Astro [ BJRL ] :There are currently 1 racers online in LFS. (0 Demo - 1 Licensed)

who's the lucky one ?

Victor

Quote :Best racer of the moment:RacerVictor
Driven Distance 0 Ml
Laps 0
Races won 0
Second 0
Third 0
Finished 0
Qualifications 0

LOL
Attached images
VictorOnline.jpg
Quote from Bean0 :In the LFSWorld chatbox, Victor said that he needs to change DNS records for the new box.

In my experience this can take up to 48 hours to propogate, is their anything we can do in the meantime like editing our HOSTS file ?

yes, you can add the line :

213.40.196.103 master.liveforspeed.net
Quote from Server Status :Online at dfgfdgfdg

That server name sounds like the noise the dev team must make whenever this kind of thing happens
It's all updated and set up now.

The DNS should be updated for nearly everyone in less than one hour.

So by midday UTC it should be up and running.
cheers for the update mate
I dont find a Host file or somthibng like this can anybody plz say me where i found the host file ?
#13 - joen
Nevertheless, I want to hope the boys the evening till this day again gained control, but I make this same
i dont understand what this host file is about... where is it exeactly and what am i changing, and will i have too change anything back in a few days like it says on a differant thread...
Quote from niffer022 :i dont understand what this host file is about... where is it exeactly and what am i changing, and will i have too change anything back in a few days like it says on a differant thread...

The hosts file tells your PC what IPs are what without doing a DNS lookup. Normally the only entry is for 127.0.0.1 which is 'home'.

If you're on XP, it will be found in <windows folder>/system32/drivers/etc/
Open in notepad and add the line Victor stated above.

This will tell your PC the exact address of the master server without having to lookup DNS, which may not have updated yet at your end or somewhere in between.

I imagine the master server is on a fixed IP, so there is no harm leaving it there, but you could give it a couple of days just to be sure that the new DNS is sorted and then remove the line you added.
If you don't know what a host file is then I recomend you just to wait until DNS is updated...
#18 - wabz
Quote from Bean0 :I imagine the master server is on a fixed IP, so there is no harm leaving it there

I wouldn't recommend leaving it there, if you do and it changes (like it just did), you might be left scratching your head. If you need to race in LFS in the next hour or whatever, put it there and remove afterwards.
hhhmm, Ive added the line in the 'hosts' file as victor said, but I still cant connect to the master server... Sometimes when i play, after a while I cant connect to the master server anyway, like if I refresh the host page a few times, I cant connect at all, but I suppose thats something to do with NTL

Ive restarted my PC, but still no joy. Ill wait a few hours anyway, to hopefully let it fix itself, lol
allready propogated for me, looked at the site where your hosting, i cant beleave companies can stay afloat on what they charge.

TroyMclure
cheers guys, if its only a temp fix ill wait till the DNS is updated
Ahh just relalised you seem to be using this forum server as the master server, thinking on your feet of solutions , i like it
Oh, my first day as licensed driver and the master server is down. Guess that's why I was having troubles creating my gamepassword.

Damn
Should be no problem creating your game password now, as the web server can definitely communicate with the master server.

If you still can't get list of games or unlock, you'll just have to wait until the DNS is updated at your ISP. But that shouldn't be too long, hopefully.

By the way, version U won't work any more. You'll need U30 or later because they use DNS lookup instead of fixed IP - and that is the change which allowed us to move the master server.
This thread is closed

(73 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG