The online racing simulator
Drift noooob!
(21 posts, started )
Drift noooob!
Hey guys! i just got the game 2 days ago and after about 20 mins of demo, there was no way i wasnt gonna get a S2 licence...

These 2 days, i havent dared go online and do anything there because i know i suck but i have been playing the training things for hours and hours and i decided i wanted to try drifting. Again, im a complete noob and know nothing! My questions are:

1. Any specific way i should tune my suspesion/tyres?
2. Should i set my stearing as fast as possible both ways in the options?
3. What whould be a good way to start and practice driftin?

Thanks for any response i get, i did do a search and couldnt really find anything helpful. Also if this helps, i use Mouse for gas and break and KB for rest and i always play in 3rd person view, dunno if this is bad or not.
Quote from Iasonas :Hey guys! i just got the game 2 days ago and after about 20 mins of demo, there was no way i wasnt gonna get a S2 licence...

These 2 days, i havent dared go online and do anything there because i know i suck but i have been playing the training things for hours and hours and i decided i wanted to try drifting. Again, im a complete noob and know nothing! My questions are:

1. Any specific way i should tune my suspesion/tyres?
2. Should i set my stearing as fast as possible both ways in the options?
3. What whould be a good way to start and practice driftin?

Thanks for any response i get, i did do a search and couldnt really find anything helpful. Also if this helps, i use Mouse for gas and break and KB for rest and i always play in 3rd person view, dunno if this is bad or not.

Seeing as how I am also a noob, and don't really like drifting lemme advise this to you.

1. Use first person, in car or in the cockpit, feel free to race with force on so you can see the tires too, it helps.
2. Don't give it too much gas going into the corner, don't feel hesitant to use the e-brake either. Using too much gas will cause you to spin out, but braking too much will cause you to stop.
3. Keep the car in the tourque band, if you come out of it you'll lose power and either spin out or stop.
4. Don't forget to counter-steer in the direction you want to go, but don't necisarily lock the wheels in one direction once you start to slide.
5. You can't use a FWD car for drifting... well, you can but you won't have very smooth back tires.
6. Try racing like a normal person and when you realize that taking apex's of turns is faster than drifting come back.
7. Turn off TFaTF:3.
Quote from Tomtheman70 :
4. Don't forget to counter-steer in the direction you want to go, but don't necisarily lock the wheels in one direction once you start to slide.

7. Turn off TFaTF:3.

4 is the reason why i think stearing with mouse is better, but i would need to get use to that.

7. what is that?! sorry, again im noob
if you feel like your going to spinout counter steer quickly!
and for some reason im the first one to say
WELCOME TO S2!
Drifting is all about balance and guessing what will happen next...
you have to move your wheel, and use pedals in advance to do it sucessfuly...
I recomend Drift Bible by Keiichi Tsuchiya (spelling?) firs
and then a lot of practice
use Turbo for starters - it's a well balanced car, then when you learn it - and understand what is going on - you can try the FZ5, or LX6, or even the XRG - this underpowered little car is great fun when it's rear tyres are over hot
Quote from squidhead :and for some reason im the first one to say
WELCOME TO S2!
Drifting is all about balance and guessing what will happen next...
you have to move your wheel, and use pedals in advance to do it sucessfuly...
I recomend Drift Bible by Keiichi Tsuchiya (spelling?) firs
and then a lot of practice
use Turbo for starters - it's a well balanced car, then when you learn it - and understand what is going on - you can try the FZ5, or LX6, or even the XRG - this underpowered little car is great fun when it's rear tyres are over hot

haha thank you!

i have watched drift bible many a times and tried using some ideas from there, it just takes come practice. I use mouse now for stearing, i found it much easier after i got use to it but i also ordered a controller, i heard its also pretty good or better. it is kinda hard to deal with throttle tho. using a button as for throttle makes it either be full throttle or no throttle.

Thanks for your help!
Stiffen up the rear suspension and ARB, done
Quote from Iasonas : Again, im a complete noob and know nothing!

Well, you I see you presently are on Swain, which is the best drift server out there. Hang out with the regulars and it will fall into place.

Also, save up for a wheel.
Quote from jayhawk :Well, you I see you presently are on Swain, which is the best drift server out there. Hang out with the regulars and it will fall into place.

Also, save up for a wheel.

that was first time i was ever online lol

I also just got a controller but im having problems with steering its too fast, ill have to mess with that more

Edit: this guy just said he got a decent wheel with stick and pedals for 25 bucks.... i need to look more
#10 - Jakg
Get yourself a Microsoft ForceFeedback wheel, good and cheap
It finally fell into place for me once I'd realised I was using too much throttle after I'd initiated the drift.
Quote from Iasonas :4 is the reason why i think stearing with mouse is better, but i would need to get use to that.

7. what is that?! sorry, again im noob

The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift.

lol. It seems like drifing (Something my friends used to do in our cheap cars 2-3 years ago) has become a REAL big thing, I guess its time to move onto something that isn't as mainstream..
Quote from Iasonas :These 2 days, i havent dared go online and do anything there because i know i suck but i have been playing the training things for hours and hours and i decided i wanted to try drifting. Again, im a complete noob and know nothing!

well, if you are 'noob' in both of them, why not just race...?

After real racing you can try drifting (the thing you want avoid while racing :P)

after racing, drifting isn't that hard...
Quote from LFSn00b :Feint Technique is one of the most used technique for drifting.

Pic tells more that 1000 words.
Or something like that

Woot 1,700th post.

Which way are you attempting to approach that corner in the picture?

Also, which way are you attemping to spin in that picture?
I dont get much from that pic, LFSn00b, but what I suppose you mean is this:
At a corner approach brake to shift the weight forwards and free the rear wheels to let them spin when you apply throtle after that and then control the car in the corner to drift through it. Heh, if that is right then I think its not what "feint" is, AFAIK the feint is when you use inertia to initiate the drift by shifting the weght strongly from side to side while performing some kind of S curve. That 1st technique I described is just braking drift, not a feint. Correct me if I am wrong, please.
Quote from Funnycat :I dont get much from that pic, LFSn00b, but what I suppose you mean is this:
At a corner approach brake to shift the weight forwards and free the rear wheels to let them spin when you apply throtle after that and then control the car in the corner to drift through it. Heh, if that is right then I think its not what "feint" is, AFAIK the feint is when you use inertia to initiate the drift by shifting the weght strongly from side to side while performing some kind of S curve. That 1st technique I described is just braking drift, not a feint. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

You are correct
Quote from Tomtheman70 :The Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift.

lol. It seems like drifing (Something my friends used to do in our cheap cars 2-3 years ago) has become a REAL big thing, I guess its time to move onto something that isn't as mainstream..

oh lol, i HATE that movie so much!! I actually hate the whole FnF thing. so fake and for some reason that makes me very angry.

I didnt get into the drifting thing like most other people have by watching dumb movies like the FnF or playing Need for speed. I got started liking the idea of drifting when my friend let me borrow his Drift Bible DvD. I then started playing NFSCarbon but the same thing hit me of dumbness and the mainstreem stuff 12 year olds like. THEN! i went to wikipedia, looked up drifting and stumbled upon a "Video Game" section where it has a list of emulators and that is how i found this game. The reason ive been mostly drifting because racing wasnt my thing, i did enjoy doing it here and there but not to do all the time.
Locked rear differentials and -3.0 live degrees camber on front wheels and around -1 to -2 on rear wheels.

That's what I use in the cars when I drift or atleast try to(mostly XRT, really good car). It seems to be alot easier to get the car drifting and reasonably control it.
XRT and FZ50 will be the most comon drift cars in Live For Speed. The best trick I have for you:

Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice, Pratice,

oh yeah, don't forget to practice
personally, I use an FXO to drift. I don't drift as well, but the FWD really helps me control it all the way through the turn.
#21 - shim
there are a few drift sets on setupfield.. try some of them, or ask other drifters online for sets and try and find one that you are comfortable with..

Drift noooob!
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG