The online racing simulator
LFS UK Gathering Poll 4 - GPL?
(19 posts, started )

Poll : GPL + LFS or just LFS only?

As fun as GPL is, I'd prefer if the LFS meet was kept to just LFS
I'd prefer a mix of both sims (approx 1 hour of GPL)
I really have no preference (and want to make Bob's life awkward)
Easy one again this time, spurred by discussion in the timetable thread we need to come on an agreement about GPL - do we want to include it or not?

You may want to have a quick scan of this thread before voting, where some pros and cons of including GPL are mentioned.
"Heheheh" 3 all so far. Now that's really awkward. Especially if there's supposed to be 20 of us
I thought about the second option, looked rather nice to click
I would prefer it to just be LFS only, LFS event with LFS People!
So i voted number 3
#4 - nihil
Just catching up:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=315495#post315495

I'd believe what the operators say about GPL: "We have made great strides in making the immersive experience of GPL accessible to a broad audience without compromising realism"

I think much of GPL's hard to drive reputation comes from using the default set ups, which don't do anyone, noobs or aliens, any favours. If they can run the 69 cars, then within a lap or two I guarantee that any experienced sim driver will be able to dial themselves in to becoming competitive.

Hell, I can drive them and you lot are going to beat me whatever we race
#5 - t1ger
I have had to vote for no GPL. Sorry.

I don't know, but as you have the schedule pretty tight already (ie all 4 hours used to the minute), I just thought that it could take them 10 minutes to reconfigure all the booths from GPL to LFS and that could lose us valuable racing/qualifying time.

Whereas, if we remove the GPL, we can spread the time out a bit and not have to worry about quick driver changes and precision timing to fit everything in.

This is why I have voted for no. 3.

Tim
Damn these polls really aren't getting me anywhere. I wonder if every poll is going to end up a draw. What now? Only 11 votes, who's still thinking?
Seeing as the polls seems to be stuck 50/50, hows about we include some GPL, but don't include it in the points. So it's a bit of fun to try out, but people only have to take it as seriously as they want? Seems to be the only compromise I can think of.

In the meantime perhaps I'll start firing a few PMs out to the other peeps, it's only fair that everyone should get the chance to vote.
Quote from Bob Smith :Seeing as the polls seems to be stuck 50/50, hows about we include some GPL, but don't include it in the points. So it's a bit of fun to try out, but people only have to take it as seriously as they want? Seems to be the only compromise I can think of.

In the meantime perhaps I'll start firing a few PMs out to the other peeps, it's only fair that everyone should get the chance to vote.

Sounds alright i suppose, some there would not have used GPL at all! So it would be abit unfair to whome had used it (I have not at all UH OH)
#9 - bozo
It's no longer 50:50

I tried GPL a long time ago, didn't get on with it, and haven't touched it since. I take the point that Sim drivers shouldn't have too much difficulty getting used to another Sim (given a half-decent setup), and I would make the effort if necessary.

However, for me it's a risk - I know about LFS racing and getting prepared for an event. I know nothing about racing in GPL, and would prefer to stick with what I know rather than spending a lot of time getting prepared for a single event, and then probably never touching GPL again. I have enough difficulty finding enough time for LFS, let alone trying to drive another Sim on top.

Anyhow, that's my opinion
Quote from bozo :
However, for me it's a risk - I know about LFS racing and getting prepared for an event.

Oh my days... This sounds so serious - I am so going to be last....
I would much prefer to have more time in LFS racing people I know racewise than having the live timing and scoring sheets for GPL.

While they are very nice and would give a bit more feedback to the people watching and me personally I would rather just watch the race unfold. I have played LFS long enough to know when gaps are increasing and decreasing and woudn't need timing to tell me how the race is going =)

I am not saying that I wouldn't like timing, far from it but for me extra seat time in LFS would mean more than having the timing available.
OK well now some more votes are in perhaps we will scrap GPL. It seems a little bit of a wasted opportunity to try out GPL - it's bound to be one of the best ways to try GPL, but I appreciate this is an LFS meet, so LFS is what this is all about.

I'll draft up a new timetable without GPL but with 3 LFS races and let you guys know so you can tell me what you think.
#13 - bozo
Quote from nihil :Oh my days... This sounds so serious - I am so going to be last....

I had my 'thinking cap' on, sorry to sound so serious . I'm not a fast driver as I'm sure you'll soon find out, but I don't enjoy the racing unless I am at least lapping consistently. That's what I mean by preparation.
:bump:
OK thanks for your votes guys, it seems now the remaining few have voted and there is definately an LFS bias. Taking that into account I will prepare some alternative timetables for you to vote on. This thread is finished, cheers for your input.
As per usual I come late to the fray but my offerings are always worthy . . . of discarding as utter drivel . . .

I have never, ever, played GPL, GFL, GPS or whatever it is. Not meaning that I don't want to play it, I think anything rigged up to a mover and shaker and linked to other nutters within shouting distance is gunna be a bit of a larf. I voted for no preference. I'm still up for it but if I'm called in to work I will have too pull out so Bobby boy, put me down but you can't rely on me. I can firm up closer to the time, I can tell you whether I can make it too. Get it, see what I did there . . Firm up and telll you. No? Hmmm. My humour chip must be malfunctioning again. Theres only so much overclocking you can do.

But I digress. I would prefer LFS because I know it and would love to see how it behaves on linked up rigs but it would a great day out whatever you decided to run with.

Cheers.

Da Beer. . . Bear. Sorry.

*Edit* And could someone please tell how to get rid of that damn welsh flag from my Username. Unless someone moved Oxford when I wasn't looking I need the Ingerland standard. But for the life of me I can't find out where to do it. Probs just being very dense again. Which will come as no surprise to any of you.
Quote from Funnybear :And could someone please tell how to get rid of that damn welsh flag from my Username. Unless someone moved Oxford when I wasn't looking I need the Ingerland standard. But for the life of me I can't find out where to do it. Probs just being very dense again. Which will come as no surprise to any of you.

Login to liveforspeed.net and go here:
https://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=accountdetails
Haha . . Thankyou. Didnt' think of going there. I was going all around LFSWorld and all sorts. But not there. Cool.

Ta.
Funnybear - if you'd like to be kept up to date with polls as I make them, drop me an email so I can add your address into my distribution list when I send out announcements. bobsmith at thefloatingwidget dot net.

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG