Closed since :
I'm interested but can't go because of the distance
I'm interested and may go
I'm interested but can't go because of the cost
I'm not interested in a gathering
I'm interested in a gathering but won't go to this type of event
I'm interested but can't go because of a date conflict
maybe.. don't know about the date yet
_IF_ I'm not working that weekend then I will definately be interested...and if I am working I will consider throwing a sickie or wrangling a day off

To [dSRC] Members that are interested...same deal as last year if you're interested guys! (oxford-southampton -> not very far!)
Quote from franky500 :oh and read your post again Bob. i think i see a price typo (or atleast i hope i do)

Read it again. Then again. Then a third time

£150 for ten booths for an hour. So, if 10 people come, it's £15 per person per hour, if 20 people come it's £7.50 per person per hour.

Suddenly, faced with the reality of modern mathematics, it doesn't like much of a typo anymore
Quote from ajp71 :LFS seems pointless because unlike GPL it isn't a bitch to setup and there's no real change for LFS regulars to make it worth the effort of going

The big social plus not exactly tempting? Though I understand what you mean, hence the option in the poll. I've no issues adding a little GPL, it adds variety and everyone should have an equal say on what happens.

If enough "yes" votes are received - I'd want at least 30 before taking it seriously for the go ahead, I'll make a few other polls to decide the how to run the day. That way it's in everyone's hands.
Quote from tristancliffe :Read it again. Then again. Then a third time

£150 for ten booths for an hour. So, if 10 people come, it's £15 per person per hour, if 20 people come it's £7.50 per person per hour.

Suddenly, faced with the reality of modern mathematics, it doesn't like much of a typo anymore

:bowdown::banghead::banghead:

Im a complete and utter idiot

the word. "WHOOPS" comes to mind... i guess i should have re-read it lol.
A gathering is a good idea, don't like the idea of a "LAN party" though, I can race at home, why drive X miles to do something I can do at home?.

Karting is different, would certainly travel for that.
Quote from danowat :I can race at home, why drive X miles to do something I can do at home?.

It's cheaper than karting, it's in a nice(r) environment, it's with real people you can touch.. not that there would be touching involved... dribbling maybe Need I go on?
I voted on cost, but I guess I should've read it all properly first because it's not as bad as it looked.

My potential problem now is the date and how to get there. It's not far but I have no transport. And I might be unavoidably busy in April.

But it sounds like a fun idea
If it's just for a lan party, why not just rent some room somewhere (confrence halls and such) and throw a LFS lan party, it'd have to be BYOR, so might make travel for some hard, but one could probably get more people going and racing at the sametime.

That said, the idea sounds fun yo me, but I'd be at home so travel would be somewhat none (I have to goto Doncaster of Sheffield to get out of this place).
do i get to caress people?
#36 - SamH
Sure.. if I get to beat people up, who try to caress me!
Looks like alot of fun but too far to travel
#38 - SamH
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :If it's just for a lan party, why not just rent some room somewhere (confrence halls and such) and throw a LFS lan party, it'd have to be BYOR, so might make travel for some hard, but one could probably get more people going and racing at the sametime.

Funnily enough, I said last night in our Teamspeak server, "We're having a LAN party!" Very spontaneous, but I'll get it organized if there's interest. Where I live is a bit of a tourist mecca, but sadly not in relation to any kind of motorsport.. more literary (Brontë Country, Yorkshire).. but we've a steam railway and lots of touristy shops etc.. worth a weekend with a sleeping bag and a trunk-full of PC.

It'd be a completely separate do from this one though.. so nearer the time, I'll post some proposals.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#39 - SamH
Eeek! I'd rather do BOTH! LOL
Quote from SamH :Funnily enough, I said last night in our Teamspeak server, "We're having a LAN party!" Very spontaneous, but I'll get it organized if there's interest. Where I live is a bit of a tourist mecca, but sadly not in relation to any kind of motorsport.. more literary (Brontë Country, Yorkshire).. but we've a steam railway and lots of touristy shops etc.. worth a weekend with a sleeping bag and a trunk-full of PC.

It'd be a completely separate do from this one though.. so nearer the time, I'll post some proposals.

Well as my parents love Yorkshire, I could easly rope them into driving me up as it's just a reason for them to take out the Caravan and bum around in a field defecating in a bucket for the weekend.

Lan parties kick gonads.
If you hadn't stumbled across it already, perhaps some of you will find this thread on the Driver's Challenge forums of interest. Also note the number of "wow" threads (and similar) in their general discussion forum.
#42 - SamH
Oooh.. good read! Nice to see some qualified reasoning behind picking a sim over LFS, for a gaming centre! GPL definitely sounds like it fits their model closer, after careful consideration on their part (and woe-betide the businessman that doesn't carefully consider his business model!) if it were within striking distance, I'd be there checking it out.

I think you should nip over there and give it a spin, Bob!
Nevermind, the southampton in the south, that might be a problem.
Though I am just being a douche, most of the reasons they listed you can pretty much do at a lan party, to a degree. Sounds like a good idea to go down there though, I'll have to raid my penny jar
Southampton's only a few miles up the road from us. We were in Northampton a few weeks ago and it's about an hour's drive tops.

Unfortunately there's no way I can give a definite yes or no answer in advance because April is going to be a big month for me this year.

For anyone interested, I'm selling my soul and going in for this year's X-Factor, the auditions for which start in April. If I get as far as the televised parts I will be posting here a lot asking for votes. But don't worry, I can actually sing

All going well I'd love to come along though. Well, as long as someone can give me a lift when moving from the venue to a pub
-
I've never watched a series of any of them, because I can't stand it. But I've had a lot of bad luck with my music career so far and it seems as good an opportunity as any. And at 26 I'm getting on a bit so need to try everything while I can
Quote from SamH :Funnily enough, I said last night in our Teamspeak server, "We're having a LAN party!" Very spontaneous, but I'll get it organized if there's interest. Where I live is a bit of a tourist mecca, but sadly not in relation to any kind of motorsport.. more literary (Brontë Country, Yorkshire).. but we've a steam railway and lots of touristy shops etc.. worth a weekend with a sleeping bag and a trunk-full of PC.

Yeah, Yorkshire is pretty crap for motorsport. We have Croft and that's about it. For (outdoor) karting tracks there's Wombwell and Tockwith. But we do have lots of nice hilly, scenic places

Quote from thisnameistaken :Perhaps we ought to organise a rival LFS "Live at Leeds" meet for the same day.

Leeds FTW! I wonder how much the Elland Road suites cost now, since Leeds UTD are at the bottom of the league....

EDIT: Come to think of it, it would probably be the highest attendance all year! Yes, I do support Leeds UTD
-
I am up for it =) It's a good couple hour drive. I am willing to pick people up on my way down from Oxford.
You got me buddy. If I can get my car going. (Should do by then. If I can't then my life skills are really shit!). Hell, even if I can't get my car going Southhampton is but a mere hour by train.

Keep me posted.

Edit - Oxford?

Thats my stomp. I'll buddy up with yer . . .

Ands it only an hour . . and a bit on a bad day., I know 'cause I've just finished some training down there. Well I say an hour. It's an hour omce on the A34 and I wasn't going right into Southhampton but around to Melwood instead. But's defianatly less than a couple of hours, unless you factor in finding the place and fellow travellers then it might run into a few hours. Hell, it could even up the ante to three . . . jeez, I'll be talking myself out of coming soon . . .
Only 60 miles south down the A34 from Oxford to Chandlers Ford. At googles very conservative estimate it reckons 90 minutes.

It's good to see some people up for the idea, I knew the far south location would suit everyone but I'm hoping within another 24 hours there'll be around 30 "yes" votes and I can start moving this forwards.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG