The online racing simulator
LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
saying one architecture is faster than anther is like saying one car is faster than another. put a top fuel drag car against a Mini cooper, have them drag race, then have them autocross. see what i mean?

given the correct information to process, a PS3 will decimate a 4+ghz core i7 and vice versa.
i doubt there is any chance the cell will 'decimate' a 4+ GHz i7 in any kind of meaningful benchmark

it's four years old now anyway.

also, car analogies don't work very well here.
i aske his before its not possible
it is quite possible, just not worth it.
Dear all, any one succeed in playing it on PS3?
Nobody has and nobody will unless devs decide to release a native PS version (which is very unlikely to happen).
ps3 8 cores but only 7 get used at any one time,the 8th it used by the system itself,would be a good project to do,it would definitly put the speed back into the name of the game
Quote from bishtop :ps3 8 cores but only 7 get used at any one time,the 8th it used by the system itself,would be a good project to do,it would definitly put the speed back into the name of the game

Well, one problem is that not many developers have had a chance to take advantage of all 7 cores. I'd say, only polyphony digital and sony itself has done that. Maybe a few more companies.
Quote from MadCatX :Nobody has and nobody will unless devs decide to release a native PS version (which is very unlikely to happen).

Why unlikely? Maybe thats what devs have been working on,right now and thats why all that process is takin so long
Because hardcore simulators have never been something that would dominate PS3 games, there is only a handful of proper controllers and the PS3 Cell CPU is not all that powerful as it might seem. The entire concept of LFS has been created without consoles in mind, so port to PS3 would most likely mean a complete rewrite. I think that deep studying of tyre physics kept Scawen occupied so he had no time to even imagine something as (IMHO) useless as port to PS3...
Quote from sjava :Why unlikely? Maybe thats what devs have been working on,right now and thats why all that process is takin so long

If that was true, we would have had an announcement 3 years ago, that the PS3 version will be released in a few months
Quote from PoVo :If that was true, we would have had an announcement 3 years ago, that the PS3 version will be released in a few months

lmao
Quote from hazaky :Well, one problem is that not many developers have had a chance to take advantage of all 7 cores. I'd say, only polyphony digital and sony itself has done that. Maybe a few more companies.

yeah your right and it will be good when they do start taking advantage of all cores,,even though very unlikely if lfs was ported to ps3 id prefer to play it compared to gt5,even though gt5 is a good game with better graphics its the lfs racing community that do it for me they give the game its own character
The not using all cores thing was true a couple of years ago, but a lot of algorithms have been adapted to take advantage of parallelism by now. The Cell CPU is however a bit different as it doesn't really have 8 cores but rather a hardware threads which aren't as fast as a "real" CPU core.
Quote from Jakg :Do you honestly think in 2015 people will still be playing the PS3? I doubt it highly tbh - as I said before the Xbox is 7 years old and look at it now - you can hook it up by Scart and play DVD's - not HD-DVD's, or Blu-Ray. Just DVD's. And you can't play in HD because it's too slow. And it's loud by todays standards. And huge. And it's worth £10.

Do you honestly think the PS3 will be a workable idea in 2015 (7 years away...)? I don't - and if Sony aren't making money off them do you really think they wont make a PS4?

EDIT - I'm sure there will be a LOT of homebrew stuff for the PS3, and I hope that there will be lots and lots of things like XMBC for it but if it really is the flagship Sony console for 10 years it's gonna be the same as a PS1 was in 2005...

i reckon people will still be using ps3 in 7 years,remember that comparing to how a ps1 has faded it cant really be used in comparison,the actual technology inside the ps3 is ahead for a few years to come they just gotta make stuff that uses the extra proccessor power,tbh i stil enjoy play my standard old xbox i thinks they got better graphics than ps2 yet microsoft stopped making anything for them,in technology progress slows after taking a sharp increase in new technology being made,
Quote from MadCatX :The not using all cores thing was true a couple of years ago, but a lot of algorithms have been adapted to take advantage of parallelism by now. The Cell CPU is however a bit different as it doesn't really have 8 cores but rather a hardware threads which aren't as fast as a "real" CPU core.

8 processors on one chip,still good its not like hyperthreading on intel chips,,plus the proccessors are for dedicated gaming and not so much as an os
Quote from bishtop :8 processors on one chip,still good its not like hyperthreading on intel chips,,plus the proccessors are for dedicated gaming and not so much as an os

It's actually worse than HT cause Intel's virtual 8-core has 4 real CPU's whereas Cell CPU is actually single core. The CPU is not dedicated for anything, it just does what it's told to, but it's true that there is probably less overhead because of the simpler PS3 OS.
Quote from MadCatX :It's actually worse than HT cause Intel's virtual 8-core has 4 real CPU's whereas Cell CPU is actually single core. The CPU is not dedicated for anything, it just does what it's told to, but it's true that there is probably less overhead because of the simpler PS3 OS.

the pc architecture is not game-oriented where as the games consoles are
Quote from bishtop :i reckon people will still be using ps3 in 7 years,remember that comparing to how a ps1 has faded it cant really be used in comparison,the actual technology inside the ps3 is ahead for a few years to come they just gotta make stuff that uses the extra proccessor power,tbh i stil enjoy play my standard old xbox i thinks they got better graphics than ps2 yet microsoft stopped making anything for them,in technology progress slows after taking a sharp increase in new technology being made,

I agree,I still sometimes play PS1 (1x a year,asking for something classy) and as future comes closer,I think in 2015 PS5 will be out already
Quote from bishtop :8 processors on one chip,still good its not like hyperthreading on intel chips,,plus the proccessors are for dedicated gaming and not so much as an os

You can't be more wrong with that.
There is a Linux for PS3 and works very well. Also the computing performance relative to power consumption is very good.
There is even a Supercomputer build from PS3. Have a look here:http://www.escapistmagazine.co ... puter-of-Epic-Proportions.
Why the hell it should be done on ps3 platform? It's good that is a pc exclusive.. No unnecessary actions need to be taken
This thread is a joke, right? rofl
Well, there apparently are people thinking that spending like 2 years with rewriting and optimizing LFS for something as single-purpose as PS3 is the dev time well spent...
Quote from RenvoN :This thread is a joke, right? rofl

It seems as if you havent seen other threads
Quote from RenvoN :This thread is a joke, right? rofl

something to take our minds of the waiting for s3 matter.lol

LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG