The online racing simulator
LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
#51 - Migz
although then again sony may decide to release like a new graphics card for the ps3? doubt it thought, but still mebbe.

Also does fedora 9 work on the ps3? And do i have to download the ppc dvd? the other two ( i386 and x86 64) wont work right?
the 4870 puses more than a ****ing teraflop! are you out of your minds? the ps3 is already outdated. a gpu that costs 70 euros (the 3850) can play gears of war at 1280x1024 at 40fps! SEVENTY EUROS! (i'm referring to dougie.)

enjoy your 7800-based ps3 graphics, dougie. lol.
#53 - Migz
I can play any game whatsoever on my ps3 at 1920x1080 at probably way over 40 fps

Edit: And if the game allows at 1080p.

Im not trying to say the ps3 is better then computers, im just defending the ps3 from you ps3 bashers.
dude... the gpu it has, isn't even considered to exist, any more... it's two generations back.
i don't 'hate' it, as i don't hate my gameboy, for example. in fact, i love my gameboy.
I couldn't give a toss what's in the PS3. Find me a PC that's got an actual guarantee to play every single game released for the next 10 years at maximum graphics level. For less than €600. Oh, and it has to have a Blu-Ray drive. And 1080p support.

PS3 looks the same, if not better than most of the dual-platform games. Plus there's no setting up and fiddling with options, and driver worries, and everything else that deters from the actual gaming.

Enjoy your system that'll be obsolete in 6 months. I'll continue enjoying mine that will still be playing top of the range games in 10 years time Although, from someone still in love with the gameboy (what's that, 160x144 res?) what would you expect? Next you'll be telling us how Paper Boy on the Sinclair Spectrum is the pinnacle of modern gaming :rolleyes:
#56 - Jakg
"Max graphics" really means nothing - my Xbox can "max out" Forza and my PC can't max out Crysis - does this mean my Xbox has better graphics?
Not really, I mean my PS1 can play FFVII at max settings, while my PC would struggle with Crysis. It's irrelevant.

The point I'm making is, if Crysis 3 (for arguments sake, let's assume there will be Crysis 3 and it will be released on both PC and PS3. If you don't believe in Crysis 3, replace it with something similar that'll be around in 7-8 years or so) was released for PC and PS3 in 7-8 years time, my current PS3 would have no worries playing it at max settings, but my current PC would probably just collapse into a heap of PCB. Your PC constantly has to be updated (if you want to play modern games at a decent setting and FPS of course), whereas the PS3 has a 10 year guarantee not to need an upgrade to play (roughly) the same games...
#58 - Jakg
...but {insert generic high-gfx title here} won't look that much better on PS3 than the current games do, in the same way that {insert generic high-gfx title here} will probably have to be played on medium or low on my computer but will still look the same as the PS3 version.

I'm not saying the PS3 sucks (in fact I want to borrow one from work soon ) but that tbh what you have now is what you have for the life-time of the console. Yes, you may get a "10 year guarantee" that you can play all the games that are released, but will you want to? My Xbox (original ftw) was first released in the US in 2001 - 7 years on does anyone make new games for it? No - they are all made for a new bloody console i'd have to upgrade to! The original Xbox died about 6 - 9 months after the 360 was released in 2005 which meant that really you only got about 6 years worth of games out of it.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I couldn't give a toss what's in the PS3. Find me a PC that's got an actual guarantee to play every single game released for the next 10 years at maximum graphics level.

um
you can say that for every console that exists. a gameboy plays all games ever released for the game boy and only those. that doesn't mean anything more. all games for the game boy are 'maximum' graphics. the level of graphics that the ps3 can output today, is not what my pc can output today. your console is stuck to whenever it was released.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :PS3 looks the same, if not better than most of the dual-platform games. Plus there's no setting up and fiddling with options, and driver worries, and everything else that deters from the actual gaming.

well... yeah. but it has other issues. for instance... fewer games. can't stick stuff to it. can't tweak it. etc.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Enjoy your system that'll be obsolete in 6 months.

i can play every game released, ever since computers were created, and games for all consoles, including the ps2.

my pc is more than a year old and if i want to play any game that is cutting edge NOW, all i have to do is sell my GPU for 50 euros, buy a new one and bingo. if i do not want to pay, i can still play Crysis. well, i might have to turn off AA! the horror...

you, on the other hand, have to give another 600 euros.
or do you think that the ps3 will magicaly get more processing power when games (for the pc) start coming out next year?

Quote from dougie-lampkin :I'll continue enjoying mine that will still be playing top of the range games in 10 years time

um. no. you won't be playing top of the range games. you will be running only what the ps3 is able to run. nothing more nothing less.

Quote from dougie-lampkin : Although, from someone still in love with the gameboy (what's that, 160x144 res?) what would you expect? Next you'll be telling us how Paper Boy on the Sinclair Spectrum is the pinnacle of modern gaming :rolleyes:

... wow. what an argument.

you say that the gameboy... is stuck to 160x144. think about it. it's the same thing with your ps3.
it was released when it was released, and the maximum it supports is 1080p.

a couple years in the future, when we will have gone to, i dunno... 2160pxyz or whatever, you will be STUCK with 1080p.

but yeah, you can enjoy your ps3. i can enjoy my pc. at the moment i am downloading music, a movie, i am browsing lfs forums and a dozen other sites, chatting with friends online... oh and... look at that... i have stalker in the background! brb... game...
No, I mean Sony has said that PS4 won't be released for at least 10 years.

I don't think graphics are going to get massive improvements any time soon anyway. There's a few pics floating around that show an in-game shot of Crysis, to a place that looks the same IRL. It's almost impossible to tell them apart. IMO the next big thing in graphics is reducing the specs needed to get maximum settings. As in, less-powerful machines will be able to play at higher settings. Seems logical to me anwyay

Quote from george_tsiros :um
you can say that for every console that exists. a gameboy plays all games ever released for the game boy and only those. that doesn't mean anything more. all games for the game boy are 'maximum' graphics. the level of graphics that the ps3 can output today, is not what my pc can output today. your console is stuck to whenever it was released.

Yes, which is the same as the PC. A game released across both platforms looks exactly the same in-game on both platforms. Even though my PS3 is now a year and a half old.

Quote from george_tsiros :well... yeah. but it has other issues. for instance... fewer games. can't stick stuff to it. can't tweak it. etc.

The games aren't that few. Including PS2 games (which look better on the PS3 than PS2 some how), there are quite a lot of games for PS3. More than I'll ever be able to afford anyway

Quote from george_tsiros :i can play every game released, ever since computers were created, and games for all consoles, including the ps2.

That's great, but can your current setup play the games released over the next 10 years?

Quote from george_tsiros :my pc is more than a year old and if i want to play any game that is cutting edge NOW, all i have to do is sell my GPU for 50 euros, buy a new one and bingo. if i do not want to pay, i can still play Crysis. well, i might have to turn off AA! the horror...

you, on the other hand, have to give another 600 euros.
or do you think that the ps3 will magicaly get more processing power when games (for the pc) start coming out next year?

Yes, you have to buy new parts to play new games. Exactly my point...I don't. Why would I spend €600 on a new PS3 when my current one will be fine for 10 years (assuming I don't treat it too badly of course)? Yes, you'll also have to turn down the graphics settings. While mine will remain assuredly high.

Quote from george_tsiros :um. no. you won't be playing top of the range games. you will be running only what the ps3 is able to run. nothing more nothing less.

Which will be top of the range games. Why would they make games for the PS3 that it can't handle?

Quote from george_tsiros :you say that the gameboy... is stuck to 160x144. think about it. it's the same thing with your ps3.
it was released when it was released, and the maximum it supports is 1080p.

a couple years in the future, when we will have gone to, i dunno... 2160pxyz or whatever, you will be STUCK with 1080p.

Yes, in ~15 years we'll all be on uber-1337 resolutions, but I won't be emotionally attached to my PS3. I'll have PS4 then, and will be using the max resolution available to me. I won't be using a 15 year old machine saying how I still love it to pieces.

Quote from george_tsiros :but yeah, you can enjoy your ps3. i can enjoy my pc. at the moment i am downloading music, a movie, i am browsing lfs forums and a dozen other sites, chatting with friends online... oh and... look at that... i have stalker in the background! brb... game...

That's great, I am in fact playing FS2004, listening to music (<3 Knights of Cydonia right now), browsing t'intertubes (actually pricing car insurance. Not impressed ), and have MSN open. I've just received a message with the silly MSN virus actually, which is amazing, as I only installed this OS 6 hours ago. Virii sure travel fast these days Not downloading movies at the moment though, I don't need to sink as low as piracy. I like my collection of legal movies actually. Thinking about it, I may just boot up the PS3 for a movie. It's also my media centre you see
it appears that what seems logical to you is not actually logical. i am not going to take your hand and show you around about what is being done with graphics.

look at the graphics of gears of war, MGS. see that? that's what you're stuck with. for ten years.

remember when ps2 was released in 2000? go play a game now, on the ps2... great graphics, right?

see a game on the ps3 now? imagine what the ps3's graphics will look like in 5 years from now... not 10, just 5...
#62 - Jakg
Do you honestly think in 2015 people will still be playing the PS3? I doubt it highly tbh - as I said before the Xbox is 7 years old and look at it now - you can hook it up by Scart and play DVD's - not HD-DVD's, or Blu-Ray. Just DVD's. And you can't play in HD because it's too slow. And it's loud by todays standards. And huge. And it's worth £10.

Do you honestly think the PS3 will be a workable idea in 2015 (7 years away...)? I don't - and if Sony aren't making money off them do you really think they wont make a PS4?

EDIT - I'm sure there will be a LOT of homebrew stuff for the PS3, and I hope that there will be lots and lots of things like XMBC for it but if it really is the flagship Sony console for 10 years it's gonna be the same as a PS1 was in 2005...
Yes, homebrew on the PS3 will be epic win. Loving 3.70 M33 on the PSP right now, I'm making it connect with the PC for triple screen atm

In 10 years though, Microsoft will probably release the new Xbox (Xbox129600 if they're staying in sequence), which will be the new thing. But Sony released a statement at PS3 launch saying that the PS4 was 10 years away. Probably very stupid on their part, but that's what I'm going by...

After a year and a half, the PS3 games are still looking just as purdy as their PC counterparts. But a €600 PC that played games a year and a half ago won't be still playing them. That's what I mean...And it'll stay this way for another while anyway. Yes, it probably won't last 10 years, but it will last another while...
#64 - Migz
Quote from dougie-lampkin :

That's great, I am in fact playing FS2004, listening to music (<3 Knights of Cydonia right now), browsing t'intertubes (actually pricing car insurance. Not impressed ), and have MSN open. I've just received a message with the silly MSN virus actually, which is amazing, as I only installed this OS 6 hours ago. Virii sure travel fast these days Not downloading movies at the moment though, I don't need to sink as low as piracy. I like my collection of legal movies actually. Thinking about it, I may just boot up the PS3 for a movie. It's also my media centre you see

.............. You just gave more reasons to why the ps3 fails |:| you've just added that Computer's can multitask loads XD

Godamnit!

Although in a year/month or two the ps3 will be able to download,play games,listen to music,search for things, chat with friends, view others profiles, be on the internet. All at once without any lag of any sort, aside from perhaps connection lag if you fail at getting decent internet

Edit:

After a year and a half, the PS3 games are still looking just as purdy as their PC counterparts. But a €600 PC that played games a year and a half ago won't be still playing them. That's what I mean...And it'll stay this way for another while anyway. Yes, it probably won't last 10 years, but it will last another while...

Im sticking up for ps3 but they wont for much longer, soon computers graphics are going to get even better and become even better then they currently are. Bassicly theres going to be a gap betwen the ps3 graphics and the pc's graphics. And the gap is only going to get bigger and bigger

But pahhh, i still like my sexy ps3 <3 LOVAGE

btw may i ask what homebrew is? Or is this just home's full name?
the gap is already bigger as 2 4870x2's in crossfirex and a 4.5ghz intel cpu can almost max out crysis on high resolution. just wait nvidia is bringing out a 280gx2 of some sort and that could be a better performer than the 4870x2. but the ps3 is already old and as far as im concerened i would rather spend a little more money on pc hardware to get better graphics than buy a ps3. and just to let you know if sony doesnt bring out the ps4 within a couple years the xbox will be dominating the market and microsoft will be way ahead. no way they will wait 10 years buy then we will be playing virtual reality games and really feel like were there in the game and i dont think ps3 will do that. do you?
jesus christ on buttered toast, the idiocy is too much
lol your funny ahahaha buttered toast ahhaah:ices_rofl
Quote from natedog420 :the gap is already bigger as 2 4870x2's in crossfirex and a 4.5ghz intel cpu

And do you realise that that's well over €1000 worth of machinery? Only to need to be replaced in 6 months to a year? Is anyone reading my main freakin point?

The new PS3 patch (God knows when it'll be out, was scheduled for last month, but was re-called after a few minutes of release) will allow lots and lots of lovely multi-tasking, by basically allowing you to access the XMB from in-game. Epic win.

Computers can multi-task more, but that's solely a software thing. The PS3 is octo-core, and would (if Sony got off their lazy ass and actually fixed the new patch!) pwn a PC at multi-tasking.

Yes, I've said it probably won't last 10 years, but that's Sony's statement. But at the moment, as a year and a half year old machine (even older, it was released in Japan in 2006!), for the price it is, it is better at gaming than a PC. If you find a PC that cost €600 a year and a half ago, put it up against the PS3. Epic fail in progress
Quote from dougie-lampkin :And do you realise that that's well over €1000 worth of machinery? Only to need to be replaced in 6 months to a year? Is anyone reading my main freakin point?

your 'main point' is wrong. but since you can't grasp its significance i'll just let it.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :lovely multi-tasking, by basically allowing you to access the XMB from in-game. Epic win.

wow. you mean... you can pause a game? wow.
also, unless you can start another game while already running a game, that isn't multitasking. looks like multitasking, but multitasking is something more than taskswitching. (for those who know more about this... yeah i did not analyze it as much as i can.)

Quote from dougie-lampkin : Computers can multi-task more, but that's solely a software thing. The PS3 is octo-core, and would (if Sony got off their lazy ass and actually fixed the new patch!) pwn a PC at multi-tasking.

a software thing? wait a minute... you will say now that you haven't read a lot about multitasking. Yet you go on making comments about things that you do not know about. In fact you confused multitasking with something else. but that's ok, you will make assumptions that are wrong and at the same time say that you don't 'need' to learn more.

multitasking a software thing? well, maybe. you also need, not a lot, but specific hardware though. If you don't have that hardware you can still multitask, but you wouldn't want that. as an example of wrong multitasking, look at macos 9 (not an example of multitasking done without the hardware i was talking about, just an example of bad multitasking. cooperative.)

Quote from dougie-lampkin : Yes, I've said it probably won't last 10 years, but that's Sony's statement. But at the moment, as a year and a half year old machine (even older, it was released in Japan in 2006!), for the price it is, it is better at gaming than a PC. If you find a PC that cost €600 a year and a half ago, put it up against the PS3. Epic fail in progress

Right. well, see, that is where your error shows: since the ps3 is stuck to performance was top (2 years ago), you try to compare it with pc hardware of that same age. which is wrong. The pc is not stuck to then.

the 600 ps3 that you bought then, is what-you-see. you can't upgrade it. (and you will want to upgrade it because... hell... there's only so much a 7800 can do...) a 600 pc that you bought then, can be upgraded. you can add stuff. you can sell stuff and buy new stuff. if you don't do that, then you treat your pc like a console, and that means sacrificing a lot of flexibility.
Quote from george_tsiros :your 'main point' is wrong. but since you can't grasp its significance i'll just let it.

So you do recognise that you need to spend well over €1000 to play the same new games as a €600 year and a half year old machine?

Quote from george_tsiros :wow. you mean... you can pause a game? wow.
also, unless you can start another game while already running a game, that isn't multitasking. looks like multitasking, but multitasking is something more than taskswitching. (for those who know more about this... yeah i did not analyze it as much as i can.)

You can start another game, as long as it's on the HDD. Putting several disks into the Blu-Ray drive isn't recommended. And it's only task switching if the second task was already running. Even though the PS3 is shit hot, it can't actually predict the future. Although Sony are taking so long with the new patch, that could be what they're working on

Quote from george_tsiros :a software thing? wait a minute... you will say now that you haven't read a lot about multitasking. Yet you go on making comments about things that you do not know about. In fact you confused multitasking with something else. but that's ok, you will make assumptions that are wrong and at the same time say that you don't 'need' to learn more.

multitasking a software thing? well, maybe. you also need, not a lot, but specific hardware though. If you don't have that hardware you can still multitask, but you wouldn't want that. as an example of wrong multitasking, look at macos 9 (not an example of multitasking done without the hardware i was talking about, just an example of bad multitasking. cooperative.)

I never said I don't know a lot about multitasking. What's to know? Several tasks running at the same time? It is a software thing. Windows allows you to open several windows at once. Even if (let's assume it's theoretically possible for Windows to run on the same configuration as the PS3) your PC had the exact same hardware as the PS3, it would still allow multi-tasking. But the PS3's OS doesn't allow you to alt-tab - yet. That doesn't mean that it can't.

What I was saying is (assuming you're actually reading before you post. I have my doubts), a octo-core 3.2Ghz from the PS3 is going to be a lot happier at multi-tasking than anything in your PC. Unless you've spent about 10 times the PS3's price on a CPU. In which case they might draw level.

Quote from george_tsiros : Right. well, see, that is where your error shows: since the ps3 is stuck to performance was top (2 years ago), you try to compare it with pc hardware of that same age. which is wrong. The pc is not stuck to then.

the 600 ps3 that you bought then, is what-you-see. you can't upgrade it. (and you will want to upgrade it because... hell... there's only so much a 7800 can do...) a 600 pc that you bought then, can be upgraded. you can add stuff. you can sell stuff and buy new stuff. if you don't do that, then you treat your pc like a console, and that means sacrificing a lot of flexibility.

Yes, a PC can be updated. But what I said was (if you're reading. I'm seriously doubting it now) if you compare a PS3 and a PC that were the same price a year and a half ago, the PS3 is still playing all of the modern games released, without needing to be upgraded. The PC would need another €600+ to be still playing all of the modern games released on it.

There is only so much the hardware can do, but it's still competing at the same level as the PC. When a €600 PC (The PS3 is also falling in value. I can buy a second hand model for ~€200, which still plays the same as the €600 one) looks WAAAAAAY better than the PS3 at modern games, then it's past its age. That might be 5 years away, that might be 10 years away, I don't know. Until then, it's not.

The PC is better at everyday tasks, yes. That's what it's designed for (well, actually to crack German secret transmissions. But Vista didn't come with that ). You can't compare that part of a PC to the PS3. It works as both a media centre and a dedicated gaming rig though.
little guy, you will not learn and that is something that you yourself has said, not me. from what i understand from your comments about multitasking, you know nothing, but only what you see on your screen and that... is not what you need to know when talking about this matter. combine that with your inability to learn new things and you have someone who does not know what he is talking about nor will ever learn.

the ps3 has the capability that it had when it was launched. a crippled cell with a tweaked 7800. we've gone past that for at least 2 years.

games that launch next year, i will still be able to play in my pc. they will look way better than what the ps3 games will look. because with better graphics you need better hardware. on the pc, you have it. on the ps3 you don't. and yeah, you can still play recent games quite well on pc hardware that was bought 3 years ago.

(your cheap shots about not reading your posts fall off the mark. you on the other hand have said, quite clearly, that you do not want to learn anything new)
#72 - Migz

The new PS3 patch (God knows when it'll be out, was scheduled for last month, but was re-called after a few minutes of release) will allow lots and lots of lovely multi-tasking, by basically allowing you to access the XMB from in-game. Epic win.

I have that patch and all ill say is acctually epic fail....
All you can do in the XMB is send messages to other people and view their profiles, if you try anything else at all it says you have to close the game.
Im a sony fanboy, and love sony in everyway, but that patch really failed.

Now everyone stop arguing, <3 PS3 <3 PAWNS!!

Edit: If the new patch had acctually done something.

Edit again: Dougie what did you mean by if they ever get around to fixing that patch? The patch that was buggered was patch 2.40 which caused some ps3's to do something funny. And ive just checked on the ps3 site and the current update is 2.42 doesnt that mean they've fixed that bug?
do you work for sony or sumthing or are you just plain f'in stupid you dont have to upgrade every 6 months. 2 4870x2's would last well over a year if not a few years and thats playing on high and high resolution. obviously you dont know shit about pc's or you would understand. you benchmark your lil ps3 and ill bench my pc with a 4ghz e8400 and a 8800gt and ill walk all over your ps3 like its nothing. im not sure what the ps3 can run but if it can run some bechs that the normal pc can run then say it and ill show you. you can say whatever you want my computer will own your pshity3 all day and have no problem. and my videocard is outdated and old but hey i play new games on high so please tell me mr expert that i have to upgrade my computer to play new games. im sure a lot of us have older(over 6 months old) hardware but can play new games just fine with decent quality and better than the ps3's graphics are so keep bitchin about your ps3 is the bomb and owns all pcs and will for 10 years cuz it wont and it never will.

edit: about your multitasking crap and your octo core crap ps3. it doesnt really matter how many cores you have if you have no ram you are not multitasking nothin. as i can remember right the ps3 has crap for ram so no cpu is gonna help it. and with your ps3 still playing new game and the pc cant well the pc world is demanding and it makes games look better and better every year so there are times you need to upgrade to get the best quality but its worth it in the end. but your to stupid to realize that so you go sell your s2 license(since your making an ass of yourself in the lfs community) and go back to your ps3 and get pwned some more.
it has 256MB of which 32 is reserved to the XMB.

cellphones have more ram than that.
the ps3 is good, you are all just jealous you dont own one

LFS on PS3?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG