The online racing simulator
IE not loading ANY webpages (Help!)
(28 posts, started )
Ok, I am having a problem with Internet Explorer 7... It wont load ANY webpages. Not even "about.blank". I have been using firefox but I cannot access my website because it is a Microsost website and it "requires" Internet Exploree to work... Any clues to what the problem could be? What extra information do you need.
Thanks in advanced
-Dustin
I checked, but no viruses
#3 - garph
Reset everything to default in internet options.
Quote from garph :Reset everything to default in internet options.

already tried it, didnt help
try disabling the phishing filter. it seems to fix the problem for some people.
#6 - Stuff
Hmm.. make sure IE is not using a proxy. If nothing else you can try to reinstall it. Here's one.

If its the IE browser itself, and not the engine, you could try the IETab firefox extension. And finally, you could probably just trick that website by changing the header through a firefox extension.
Quote from glyphon :try disabling the phishing filter. it seems to fix the problem for some people.

phishing filter didnt work

@ stuff:
how do I check if IE is using a proxy? I already reinstalled it.

Firefox works, so something in IE is screwing me up... Whats IETab firefox extension? If it just makes FF look like IE, I cant use it; I HAVE to use IE. Whats tricking the header through a firefox extension gonna do?
#8 - Jakg
IE Tab - loads IE's rendering engine in Firefox
yes I have myspace as a home page... dont bug me with it
Attached images
not working.jpg
Hmm.. so something is b0rked with the IE engine.. and doesn't seem like anything to do with a proxy. (esp if you can't get to about:blank)

If you change the headers (the user-agent specifically) it will fool the website you're visiting into thinking that your browser is IE, no matter what you are using. Here is an extension that makes it easy. Of course, this won't help your IE and I just reread your original post saying its a M$ site that requires IE/activex so that won't help anyway..

So (should have done this in the first place) a quick search turns up this..
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm#message
"about:blank" works i put "about.blank" i used a period insted of a colon. Does that make a difference now?
any clues
Try re-installing Internet Explorer.
^^ he's already tried that.

when you go to a page, and it doesn't load, what happens if you hit refresh/reload? Does the page load then? If so, try changing these settings

1. click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Make sure the following are not checked:
• Use HTTP 1.1
• Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections
4. Click OK

5. click View.
6. Point to Encoding, and then uncheck Auto-Select.
Have you tried ie tab for firefox
Quote from glyphon :^^ he's already tried that.

when you go to a page, and it doesn't load, what happens if you hit refresh/reload? Does the page load then? If so, try changing these settings

1. click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Make sure the following are not checked:
• Use HTTP 1.1
• Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections
4. Click OK
5. click View.
6. Point to Encoding, and then uncheck Auto-Select.

Tried all of that... still doesnt work

Quote from jimmyae_ae :have you tried it here is a link to it
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
its very easy to use

yes, that just makes me not have a page in firefox
After finding this slice of heaven, I though if I restart my PC, IE would work... I was, of coarse, wrong...
Scan for spyware. IE shouldn't be trying to load about.blank when it starts and if it does, that's a usual sign of spyware.
#21 - dev
Reformat you HDD, and install Linux You will never have trouble with IE again :P
Quote from dev :Reformat you HDD, and install Linux You will never have trouble with IE again :P

hell no way to much data id lose all this :S
i like to secure myself
and he will never be able to access the specific page he's trying to get to again either
One possible cause for that behavior (as it said in that HOSTS file faq I linked to) is the hosts file

Do these 2 things.. On the navigation canceled page in IE, right-click it and select properties. What does the Address (URL) say?

Also, open up your <windows folder>\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. The only entry that is required in there is "127.0.0.1 localhost". What is listed in there?

If these 2 things are fine, then I give up
Quote from Stuff :On the navigation canceled page in IE, right-click it and select properties. What does the Address (URL) say?

Also, open up your <windows folder>\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. The only entry that is required in there is "127.0.0.1 localhost". What is listed in there?

If these 2 things are fine, then I give up

res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005

I get to C:/WINDOWS/... no system32 folder?

(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG