The online racing simulator
Whats so good about a wheel
(22 posts, started )
I just got my first wheel, momo racing. i miss the mouse because it was so much easier to prevent a spin. a quick flick of the wrist and im back in control. theres no way you could move the wheel that fast and respond that quickly. do i just need more practice? should i use force feedback? is it always supposed to have that much resistance? and when i turn FF off then the wheel just simply becomes hard to turn except without effects.
Quote from SonicIce :I just got my first wheel, momo racing.

do i just need more practice?

You wont be faster than with keyboard or mouse right away. It takes a lot of practice. It took me several months.
#3 - Jakg
Well FFB is REALLY soemthing that will make you quicker, once you get used to it.

Bottom line, you need to get used to using the wheel!
Yes, it takes time and practice. I went through the same thing when I got my first wheel after years of using a joystick.

You can't really 'flick' a steering wheel like you can a mouse, or even a joystick so the first thing you have to learn is to begin your turning motions sooner with a wheel than you did with a mouse.

Once you adjust your driving style to suit a wheel, then you will be able to go out and find more speed than you ever could with a mouse.
#5 - Jakg
Quote from RacingSimFan :You can't really 'flick' a steering wheel

you sure? I do it all the time (and IRL in Karts), you just have to understand that no matter how quick your flick it, the tyres might not keep up!
I think if you have to apply such drastic and instantaneous opposite lock that you're probably not in a very good position in the first place - certainly this wouldn't be a desired approach for obtaining a good lap.

The force-feedback is one of the two must-have reasons for getting a wheel - it gives you such a greater insight into the onset of the loss of grip.

The other must-have is analogue pedal control. Being able to balance the car on partial throttle and gradually open it up as you approach the corner exit is much more natural than the digital throttle you'd use with the mouse. You can also start incorporating trail-braking into your technique, if you have a desire to do so.

Just give it time, I suspect you'll find there's no turning back.

Rakhsh
I've noticed that for drifting (example) I found the mouse much easier than a DFP for that same reason... quickly flicking the wheels the other way.
Once you've got used to it you'll realise it's worth your money!
This is like asking "why do people like sunny days at the beach?"

1.Its a sim...unless you drive a mouse controlled car then a mouse is not adding to the simulation.

2.If you use a wheel and tried driving ala' mouse for the first time it would be harder than the learning curve for a FF wheel.
As aid, you'll be slower at first but in the end you'll be much faster. it's worth it, really is.
Get away with that wheel, keyboard rocks!
:clapclap:
I started off with a crappy ps2 controller convertor, then got a DFP and took about 4 seconds a lap off ALL my pb's! Good enough reason to get a wheel?
Many people say: you need 3 mounts to get used to wheel. I don't think so. I've needed 10-20 days to get good times whit wheel. But after 1 mounts times goes bether. And now after 5 mounts having my dear MOMO I have much bether times then I had whit mouse (I couldn't imagine to be that fast whit mouse). I need 2 days for some good time whit wheel. Whit mouse I needed 2 week for the same time. Why? Becouse mouse isn't natural!!! I'm using 55% FF on my wheel. The most important is that you must lern one thing; Don't junp on GAS, press it slowly and your car won't slide, but if it slide then FF is there to safe you. Go whatch WR times, and you'll see what you need to do. Braking and Accelerating is different whit mouse (it's not natural) then whit wheel. Just whatch replay of some good drives on LFSW and you'll see what I'm tolking about
...a wheel, sir, will make you feel like this guy! vvvvvv

...and that cant be a bad thing!
Drive with the wheel for a month, then come back and tell us you still miss the mouse.

You're having to relearn everything you've been doing in a whole new context. Most people probably go through the same feelings when moving from joystick / keyboard/ mouse to wheel.

I doubt you'll be anxious to go back to the mouse pretty soon
thanks guys . the pedals were really easy to get used to and help alot. i'll just spend more time with the wheel to get used to it. what FF settings should I use with my momo? are there any special driver settings i need to change? im using the lastest 4.60 from logitech.
wow..if you think Momo is tough, wait till you try DFP/G25 with 720 turning radius.. oh plus manual clutching and H shifting. haha!
#17 - Jakg
Latest is actually the version 5's!
Dont hear at what gc says, keyboard sucks compared to wheel
A wheel is the best thing you can get
Using the keyboard to play live for speed is like being a design firm that only uses mspaint...lol
Quote from SonicIce :what FF settings should I use with my momo? are there any special driver settings i need to change? im using the lastest 4.60 from logitech.

It's up to you what works. With the Momo Racing, I used pretty low settings, just enough to get some resistance when turning. I also tend to vary it by 5 or 10% depending on the car. If you set it to 100%, you will probably have a hard time getting used to the change from a mouse ( but some people find the high settings work best for them).

Whatever setting you use ( I'd suggest 10 to 20 %), stick with it for a few days at least. Once you get comfortable driving with a wheel, you can fine tune the details.

Also, chances are the settings you've been using with a mouse won't translate well to a wheel. Get some new ones from someone on line using the momo, or adjust your steering in your own.

Try taking Maximum lock down to 12 to 15, and parallel steer down to around 50. These aren't the best settings in the long run, but might help for learning to control the car.
Quote from Chris P :I've noticed that for drifting (example) I found the mouse much easier than a DFP for that same reason... quickly flicking the wheels the other way.

Hehehe, drifting was born from real-life racing, not from computer simulations... U juz have to get used to it, like the others said.
Talking about wheels, anyone has a MS Sidewinder FF ?
Hollidays again for me so I can use my half broken MS Sidewinder again. But I've no idea concerning options. Orion told me about DXTweak, but don't really know if I need to change something at it, lowered the braking and acceleration sensitivity a bit with it but...

Also, if you turn the wheel a small bit like on straights the FF doesn't work, turn it further the FF works for sure. Is this because of the 0.00 - 1.00 setting in options, wheel return rate I think or so.(can't look up the name - LFS won't open).

EDIT:
Ah found it, all set fine like this ?
http://sccabco.free.fr/up/wheel.JPG

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG