The online racing simulator
Google Earth (google eyes!)
(49 posts, started )
I know it's been around for ages, but I had no idea it could do this!

I just downloaded the latest beta (4), to check out some of the improvements (most notably the topographical/terain improvements). For my little test I decided to hop on over to the Grand Canyon, and... low and behold OMGWTFBBQ!!! :Eyecrazy:

I seriously had no idea. Check out the screen below.. it's a perfectly modelled Grand Canyon. I'm in shock. Amazing to just move around the canyon with the mouse. This is seriously the coolest thing ever!

And Mt Everest don't look too bad either... :zombie:
Attached images
grandcanyon.jpg
that looks
#3 - ORION
cool stuff
Does anyone know if this is done with polygones or normal maps?

Can you post mount evereest aswell plz?
local.live.com

Has 3d maps now as well, with landmarks modelled in 3d too!
#5 - ZORER
can we see the same data on older google earth versions? ...should be yes.
#6 - JTbo
Quote from ZORER :can we see the same data on older google earth versions? ...should be yes.

Note that if the mountain heights do not look right, you can adjust them in the options: the "elevation exaggeration" can be tuned to make the height aspect more realistic.

- Another Google Earth fanboy.
#9 - ZORER
36 26' 47. 11" N 30 28' 32. 29" E

one of the best places i've ever been in my life.
Quote from ZORER :36 26' 47. 11" N 30 28' 32. 29" E

one of the best places i've ever been in my life.

Here?
Attached images
where.jpg
where2.jpg
Quote from tristancliffe :Here?

i think there's a problem with the coordinate format.

this is how it should look like.
Attached images
olympos.jpg
What problem? I'm within a few feet of what you posted, and it's a bit barren (which might have been what was good about it).

What did I do wrong?
i edited my previous post pls check the attachment. ^^^^^^^^

ok they're very close check the pic.

but i don't know how those coordinates don't match
Attached images
olympos2.jpg
You wrote 36 26 .... N

You meant 36 23 .... N
OT: Is the word "Limani" in Turkish used for harbours (like the greek "λιμήν, λιμάνι" (limin, limani)) or is it a general term for bays?
Quote from xaotik :OT: Is the word "Limani" in Turkish used for harbours (like the greek "λιμήν, λιμάνι" (limin, limani)) or is it a general term for bays?

i think it's the former. (like the greek "λιμήν, λιμάνι" (limin, limani)) Because i'm not sure about the meaning differences of bay and harbour...But it should be like in Greek.Cultures share many things like language when they live neighbours for ages.

But it is "Liman". "Limanı" is used after if there's a name is going to be used.For eg: "Atakoy Limanı" Ataköy is the name of the Liman.

Edit: Checked a turkish dictionary, it says : "Liman : A natural or human made safe place for ships to hold, load-unload or transfer passengers. And it's origin is Greek."
#19 - JJ72
now, why did I spend money on microsoft flight simulator??
where i live

lattitude: 51°19'2.14"N
longtitude: 3°18'11.13"E
i think google earth sux is there any alternatives?
Quote :can we see the same data on older google earth versions? ...should be yes.

Probably. It's just I didn't know Google Earth could do this. When it first came out I just used it for top-down zooming, I thought that was neat enough. I haven't run google earth for about a year or so...

Zorer, where is this place that you marked? My favourite place in Turkey is Kas, you must have been there too? MMM the water is so warm there- not like southern Australia where I'm from. Surfing in Winter is not really recommended, but we do it anyway! illepall
Quote :i think google earth sux is there any alternatives?

Not sure..

(sorry, I stuffed up my other post)
Quote from TyresHot :i think google earth sux is there any alternatives?

how so?

anyways, yes there are alternatives, i think there is some thing called the Blue Earth project i believe is being run by NASA; maybe its the Blue Marble project (i think it is marble); and it has some NOAA stuff so you can track storms from however many years back etc. but its EXTREMELY heavy on your hard drive compared to google earth so, thats the only thing to be aware of

and yes, google earth has had the tilt to see elevation differences for quite some time now (i noticed it this summer when i was zooming out by rolling the wheel, and accidently held it down and moved back so i had to figure out what i did; but ya its.. really cool if you look around

whats really cool, is if you go to hawaii and into Pearl Harbor you can see the Arizona underwater
Quote from TyresHot :i think google earth sux is there any alternatives?

Your timing couldn't have been more perfect. Microsoft just unveiled its own earth-browsing thingie.

You'll need Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer to use it, but I'm sure that IE is your favorite browser so you won't have any problems.

Oh and there's NASA World Wind, too.

(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG