The online racing simulator
Improvement Suggestions
(47 posts, started )

Poll : Should we use polls for voting on improvement suggestions?

Yes
No
Improvement Suggestions
No, not aiming for an infite loop - just a suggestion on using polls for improvement suggestions instead of this +number, -number thing which is pretty much too obscure for giving a conclusion, gets abused or turns silly and really doesn't help gauge how many people actually like or dislike a suggestion made.

Simple yes/no polls could do.

Clarification:
The poll result would only be a figure that represents the community's feeling towards a proposed feature - not a means of influencing the development process.

Further Clarification:
I propose this instead of using +1/-1 and related - NOT AS A WAY OF INFLUENCING THE DEVS.
+1
Polls can be abused in way of multiple accounts though, so it's basically the same.
may be I'm wrong, but I remember having read that the devs do not read all those things, so the "improvement suggestions" is just here for us to we could talk about our frustrations
so poll or not will not be a big difference
#5 - Gunn
LFS is not a democracy where the users get to make decisions on development by popular vote. Development decisions won't live or die by members' consensus or popular opinion on the forum.
#6 - CSU1
Quote from Gunn :LFS is not a democracy where the users get to make decisions on development by popular vote. Development decisions won't live or die by members' consensus or popular opinion on the forum.

So what your saying is that we have no say in the devolpment of LFS?
So this whole thread:Improvement Suggestions is for amusement?
#7 - Gunn
Quote from CSU1 :So what your saying is that we have no say in the devolpment of LFS?

No, that is what you are saying.
Quote from Gunn :LFS is not a democracy where the users get to make decisions on development by popular vote. Development decisions won't live or die by members' consensus or popular opinion on the forum.

By no means am I proposing that polls be used to steer the development process. I don't mention or even insinuate any such.

Just that improvement suggestions can benefit from having a direct popularity number/statistic assigned to them on the top without having to skim through the whole thread looking at +this -that comments. If anything, if the devs don't take it at all in consideration atleast it's something for the users to see and get a drift of the direction the concensus is headed.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Gunn :No, that is what you are saying.

But you said "LFS is not a democracy where the users get to make decisions on development by popular vote."
So what other way could we collectivley decide on what goes into LFS final, I feel we the community should have some "decisions" rights to certain areas of the final development.
Quote from CSU1 :So what other way could we collectivley decide on what goes into LFS final, I feel we the community should have some "decisions" rights to certain areas of the final development.

We do not decide - we propose.
We brainstorm and throw ideas at the devs and if they decide to implement them they do.
#11 - Gunn
Quote from xaotik :By no means am I proposing that polls be used to steer the development process. I don't mention or even insinuate any such.

Just that improvement suggestions can benefit from having a direct popularity number/statistic assigned to them on the top without having to skim through the whole thread looking at +this -that comments. If anything, if the devs don't take it at all in consideration atleast it's something for the users to see and get a drift of the direction the concensus is headed.

People are influenced by previous polster's votes. On long topics they go by the poll result, not by the discussion. If there is a great idea or concept posted currently, it attracts attention by its own merit. With a poll, it's just a statistic that may or may not be fueled by a sound concept or useful idea. So a poll in the improvement suggestion forum doesn't really help the development process, it just shows what people have voted due to their perception of the poll question whether or not they even understand the question in the first place.

Only the discussion contains the potential gems of future development, the poll is a painted whore on speed.
Quote from xaotik :We do not decide - we propose.
We brainstorm and throw ideas at the devs and if they decide to implement them they do.

When was the last time (if ever) a suggestion postet here actually got implemented in lfs?
(not smartassing or anything, just curious )
#13 - CSU1
Quote from xaotik :We do not decide - we propose.

Ok yes I agree, was just Gunn's post was a bit short, I didn't fully understand his intentions, it sounded like he didn't like this thread, sorry for the confusion.
Quote from nikka :When was the last time (if ever) a suggestion postet here actually got implemented in lfs?
(not smartassing or anything, just curious )

Latest minor one I recall was "flags visible using SHIFT-F mode" which was recently implemented in patch U28 I think.

Quote from Gunn :So a poll in the improvement suggestion forum doesn't really help the development process, it just shows what people have voted due to their perception of the poll question whether or not they even understand the question in the first place.

Well, if those can't understand a single question how can you expect them to intelligently debate something properly in an in-thread discussion?

Anyhow, I see what you mean in it not being helpful with the development process. But that's not really the issue since I don't say that this should be included in the development process - I think it would put some people at ease to simply side with an idea and that's it, if they have to voice their opinion as well they'll do it regardless.
the devs decide if they like and will/can add the suggestion(s) or not
so no need for polls
#16 - dev
Quote from ORION :the devs decide if they like and will/can add the suggestion(s) or not
so no need for polls

As mentioned a couple of times before already - this isn't about the devs or how they make their decision. This is just a proposal instead of using +1/-1/+249421/-2949123, etc in the threads. I am not saying "just vote and don't discuss the suggestion" either.

This way anyone who simply agreed with what is being proposed and didn't have anything more to add could just vote for it and not have to post a simple "+1" which would really mean nothing. It's a way of expressing opinion using a current feature of the forum software. The number of people who support the idea will be clearly visible on the top of the thread.
Polls bring order to chaos and eliminate time wasted just to count the opinions of forum members. Why wade through pages when the agreement/disagreement ratio is conveninetly laid out?
I would agree there are benefits. Many more people are likely to vote since not everyone can be bothered to type out a response. And you don't see the poll results until you've voted (well, unless you want to, but my point is the results don't stare you in the face when you first view the thread, allowing you to form your own oppinion (hopefully)).
The +1 and -1 thing is only a way to say I like or I don't like, it isn't a scoring system or anything

No need to keed track of them IMO
+1

^_^
voting cant work because %95 of racers will vote "yes" to the votes altghough an improvement is not needed.
i vote yes the more people that like the game the more it sells.
whoops its possible for one single person to be able to vote more than once in this poll you didnt set the options correctly.
and for that reason, there is extra 1 reason for not to start voting..

Improvement Suggestions
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG