The online racing simulator
Other Racing/Driving Sims?
(28 posts, started )
What are some other good racing or driving sims? This is the first one I've tried and I'm addicted, lol.
Grand Prix Legends - released by Sierra in 1998 but supported by a fanatical community and is still thriving. 1967 F1 cars (+ 1965 and 1969 Mods and more coming), 500+ user-made tracks. Great physics, runs really well on old PCs, still considered a benchmark race sim. Immersive is the key word. Community forum here.

netKar Pro - released this year and was full of bugs and was unplayable online for most people. A recent patch has made significant improvements and made the game a real winner. Simulates Formula Ford cars (1600 and 1800) as well as Formula Renault and ... another one which is faster . With a bit of work this could also turn into a benchmark sim. Awesome physics and immersion. So far only fantasy tracks but a devkit is on the way which would most probably mean a modding free-for-all Community here.

Others with a good reputation which I've tried/demo'd but lost interest in or couldn't run on my old box are: Gran Turismo Legends (classic sports cars, modern tracks); GTR (modern FIA touring cars, by the same company as GTL); rFactor (fantasy cars/tracks but infinitely moddable); Richard Burns Rally - reputed as the best PC rally game ever. That's off the top of my head. If there was any other race sim worth playing I'd own it, PC specs pending

The top two are my favourites (besides LFS). This may change when I can upgrade my old box and play GTL and RBR though!
Definitely RBR if you enjoy rally racing Especially with the newly found(for me) online racing, where we even had a little LFS community RBR rally going for awhile. Quite fun :-)
Nascar Racing 2003, made by the same people that made Grand Prix Legends, NR2003 and Richard Burns Rally are the only sims I've run across that give LFS a run for it's money.

A word of caution, look around locally before you buy NR2003 off eBay, as it's very very expsensive now.

Oh, one more thing, if you're not interested in car mods for NR2003, look for NR2002, it's almost the same physics model, just 2002 cars, and might be cheaper.
didn't gpl, gtr, gtl, and rFactor, and any other driving sims die when S2 came out?

and now, on addition, those games get cement over the grave when patch Y came out?
How expensive is it? I ask because I own it ATM and may be looking to sell it if I am gonna get a good deal... May have to look into that one so that I don't get ripped off though...
seems like i hear a lot of complements about Grand Prix Legend, and about it's legendary status... but it seems like other people say that lfs now has much better physics.
HOLY SHIIIIIIIT!!!!
Is the physics modeling that good? it's only oval racing and it's only a bunch of stock cars. can it really be worth 100?!?!?!
Try the demo, it gives good impression what is it like (I guess):
http://www.google.com/search?c ... amp;ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
With all nascar 2003 and its mod the driving is quite the same and if you don't like the nascars you won't like the GTPs etc.. Personally I like GPL a lot but somehow Nascar2003 wasn't all that good, even if the engines are quite similar, made by same people. On ovals Nascar03 is still the number one (Arca sim might be good too when it is released, no demo promised for it though :/) and driving in a group of cars is certainly a nice experience. But on road tracks it is not so much..

As for GPL, it can be somewhat troubled to get set up properly (sound and graphics issues with newer drivers) so I would defenately tell you to go to RSC to find some help if you have trouble getting it to run. Most of the problems are quite easy to fix but not necessarily easy to find on your own. GPL with the addons can look quite nice too, the cockpits are imho better than any of the LFS ones and as a whole package it delivers a lot.

If you find the original GPL cars too hard to handle you could try the 69 mod. Those cars have wings and the added downforce (negative lift ) makes them somewhat easier to control. There are dozens and dozend or great tracks for GPL and some of them are pure joy to drive while others put you in true test.

One thing to add about GPL though. When you make a mistake it bites, hard. Missed a braking point and tapped the wall? No F10 to tell you how much your wheel is bend or is it bent at all. Broke an engine even though you're sure you smade no mistakes? No engine is perfect (chance of mechanical failure is always there). If you drive with lots of aids on in LFS using all sorts of game techinques you won't like GPL at all, it is simply too hard for you. But if you like sims that don't hold your hand and don't do your gearshifts for you you may even like it. It is from 1998 and it shows but the fact that it is still here makes a point or two .
Quote from Hyperactive :As for GPL, it can be somewhat troubled to get set up properly (sound and graphics issues with newer drivers) so I would defenately tell you to go to RSC to find some help if you have trouble getting it to run. Most of the problems are quite easy to fix but not necessarily easy to find on your own. GPL with the addons can look quite nice too, the cockpits are imho better than any of the LFS ones and as a whole package it delivers a lot.

If you find the original GPL cars too hard to handle you could try the 69 mod. Those cars have wings and the added downforce (negative lift ) makes them somewhat easier to control. There are dozens and dozend or great tracks for GPL and some of them are pure joy to drive while others put you in true test.

One thing to add about GPL though. When you make a mistake it bites, hard. Missed a braking point and tapped the wall? No F10 to tell you how much your wheel is bend or is it bent at all. Broke an engine even though you're sure you smade no mistakes? No engine is perfect (chance of mechanical failure is always there). If you drive with lots of aids on in LFS using all sorts of game techinques you won't like GPL at all, it is simply too hard for you. But if you like sims that don't hold your hand and don't do your gearshifts for you you may even like it. It is from 1998 and it shows but the fact that it is still here makes a point or two .

Fantastic summery of GPL makes me wanna have another hunt for the CD and install it and the zillions of addons

I'd also add, the sounds of the engines are something to behold, especially the V12 Ferrari's. And some of the upgraded tracks look sensational, Monaco Rocks, Clermont-Ferrand and anything by Jim Pearson to name just 3.

Also the 65's are a great alternative if the 67's are too much of a handfull, especially round some of the tighter tracks.

After LFS you'll not find a better driving sim than GPL, and in some ways GPL still heads LFS if true "hardcore nutter sim racing" is your bag.
You should know they just released the 1966 season mod over at RSC...best mod ever, hands down :up:
That 66 needs to be tested
Go on, you know you want to.

The best news: the lads have cracked the 7-car limit. The 66 Mod contains all variants of the various cars used in 1966, from the 2L cars, 2.4s, 2.5s and of course the 3 litre beasts with pretty much every works, factory and privateer car Play an offline season and the cars and drivers swap and change exactly as they did in 1966. Pretty impressive work for a third party mod for a game that was never meant to be modded :up: The tyre model has been improved as well and there are nice little physics tweaks such as improved draft distance and (my favourite) high-speed lift In a 3L car at a huge long track like Monza or Reims you can really feel the front end move around...

Also, the track length limit has been broken (a while back, nothing to do with this mod). No longer is the original 1967 Nordschleife the longest GPL track - look forward to full length Targa Florio and Isle Of Man circuits :yummy:
:irked: Just spent the last hour looking for the CD, but the little blighter just doesn't want to be found Grrrr, and after reading your post Hank i just gotta try those 66's A quick look on ebay shows me there's a Big Box edition for £16 hmmm tempting.

I remember Jim announcing he'd started making the un-abridged version of IOM and Sergio (i think it was) had started the Targa Floria, but that was ages ago, and i've not really been over to the RSC since then. Actually now i think of it someone had started a Cortina mod too which sounded a hoot. And did that GT mod ever get finished ? must go have a look-see.

Bollocks, i was hoping to spend this year getting fitter and spending less time infront of the PC, but these damned developers keep on releasing stuff like this ! baarstools, the lot of em
#16 - Jakg
Has the Targa Florio actually been made and released for GPL now...?
Oddly enough i suggested that very same advice to someone else this morning, lol the irony. Downloading now.... wonder if i could install the 66 mod and a few tracks into the demo ?
Quote from atlantian :didn't gpl, gtr, gtl, and rFactor, and any other driving sims die when S2 came out?

and now, on addition, those games get cement over the grave when patch Y came out?

Um, no.
Quote from Hyperactive :

hmm... i use f10 to see damage, to see what i am doing wrong, so i can drive the car softer next time. does that mean, i have to try everything and see which of my actions broke my engine or is there a detailed view or status report on my car.
Quote from 96 GTS :Nascar Racing 2003, made by the same people that made Grand Prix Legends, NR2003 and Richard Burns Rally are the only sims I've run across that give LFS a run for it's money.

A word of caution, look around locally before you buy NR2003 off eBay, as it's very very expsensive now.

Oh, one more thing, if you're not interested in car mods for NR2003, look for NR2002, it's almost the same physics model, just 2002 cars, and might be cheaper.

Just bought mine of E-bay for £23, should be here tomorrow (or more likely Monday, considering the general state of our postal service and the fact that nobody wants to deliver in the Highlands when our roads are bascially balck ice)

Cant wait to be honest, btw does anyone have some websites to go to, have'nt started searching yet due to work comitments, but have the weekend off to research so to speak.
damn it! racing sims are so expensive, it's as expensive as GT... prologue
Quote from atlantian :damn it! racing sims are so expensive, it's as expensive as GT... prologue

Well the best one is quite heap
Quote from Jakg :Has the Targa Florio actually been made and released for GPL now...?

WIP atm. I do believe it's in beta form after nearly two years. Takes time to make a 70km track but I think it'll be utterly legendary. Don't know about the IOM though.
i have rFactor...and unlocked all... downloaded formula bmw like 4 months ago and it really sucked... i could go flat in all curbs...

(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG