The online racing simulator
Spinoff : LFS aimless and without focus
(94 posts, closed, started )
can someone explain to me what centre view and eye view add to the overall experience except adding unnecessary clutter? i dont get it. whats it for?
Quote from KiDCoDEa :can someone explain to me what centre view and eye view add to the overall experience except adding unnecessary clutter? i dont get it. whats it for?

Previously if you wanted to use a custom view to change the default view (say move up or forwards a bit), you had to go from the middle of the car in the custom view and move left (or right if you're a right-hand-driver...) and then change it how you wanted. Now you just click eye view to get the default driving view and then move from there. Great addition IMO.
Quote from Michael Denham :Previously if you wanted to use a custom view to change the default view (say move up or forwards a bit), you had to go from the middle of the car in the custom view and move left (or right if you're a right-hand-driver...) and then change it how you wanted. Now you just click eye view to get the default driving view and then move from there. Great addition IMO.

if thats all it is, its obvious crap clutter.
what if i value more the driver penis, or the right headlight. shall i also get a stupid predetermined button for those positions just so i can adjust "from there"?
custom is about customization, a personal thing. as soon as u start adding predetermined button crap, to change an origin, whole logic brakes loose.
thats not a great addition and a fault in any design schematic.
unless the guideline driving it is spasms of insanity.
this has no place in there and should be removed.
this doesnt fit any logical usage and therefore, will confuse players. new or old.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :if thats all it is, its obvious crap clutter.
what if i value more the driver penis, or the right headlight. shall i also get a stupid predetermined button for those positions just so i can adjust "from there"?
custom is about customization, a personal thing. as soon as u start adding predetermined button crap, to change an origin, whole logic brakes loose.
thats not a great addition and a fault in any design schematic.
unless the guideline driving it is spasms of insanity.
this has no place in there and should be removed.
this doesnt fit any logical usage and therefore, will confuse players. new or old.

Some people like to take the driver's eye view and move a little higher, back or forward.

Others like to be able to return to 0,0,0 with one click.

It's a long requested feature and one that was easy to implement and simple to understand. I can't see a problem with it.

Your argument is like saying, why is there a HOME and END key on the keyboard, it's just predetermined crap in a text editor where one should be able to write text in any position.
Quote from Scawen : Of course there is a lot more work to be done on the sound, and I'm already working on that.

Noone else notice this or what?!!!11111oneone

^10:balloons:

PS Micheal Denham you clearly have superlative taste. You can always count on Western Canadians!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Noone else notice this or what?!!!11111oneone

^10:balloons:

I'd better be clear. I'm just working one one stage of improvements. I've managed to make them sound a bit meatier and more lively, while remaining compatible.

I can't go very far with sounds before Patch V - though there will be a slight improvement.
Nonetheless, 'tis proverbial music to my ears to hear it from the horse's mouth that it's "on the list" for sooner rather than later.. Or at least receiving some degree of priority
Quote from Scawen :Some people like to take the driver's eye view and move a little higher, back or forward.

yeah thats because they dont have a much longer requested feature, adjustable seats like in real life...

Quote from Scawen : Others like to be able to return to 0,0,0 with one click.

why would u wanna do that as often to justify a button... and if u wanna do that how would that person desire justify a button for something they can do already in not 1 but 3 clicks? is there gonna be a button in lfs for everything that currently takes 3 clicks?

Quote from Scawen : It's a long requested feature and one that was easy to implement and simple to understand. I can't see a problem with it.

its beyond per se. its what it represents. the bigger annoying problem is seeing useful and valuable contructive suggestions getting the bin over "easy" to do stuff, that although easy manytimes adds nothing to the full net aim. its a random thread spasm that wont connect anywhere and if lfs ever goes to a quality step above what it is today this will obviously be axed. This past year is basically the implementation of the easy to do over the actual stuff that matters. sometimes worse, the futile over the infrastructural.
this is not a boss talking, its a caring supporter. With proper producing, this sim would be miles miles away from what it is today, for the better. lack of quality criteria for domains u dont dominate is a recipe for lackluster production. You code like the wind, dats what u do great. we love seeing u being great at that. i dont recognize same amount of talent in other decisions beyond the code of code.

Quote from Scawen : Your argument is like saying, why is there a HOME and END key on the keyboard, it's just predetermined crap in a text editor where one should be able to write text in any position.

i understand how you interpret. if u understood what i meant, there would be no need for me to understand you. but i do.
LFS IS ALL ABOUT MIRRORS AND MAP PLACEMENT NOWADAYS
Scared of real coding challenges. LFS is a pussy nowadays. I want the punk back.
iracing product could be a spark if lfs cared about competition. but i bet even dat wont make it break the numbness.
LFS lost focus over these past 2 years. I'm quite disapointed with lfs, especially because i know where it could have been by now. The wait and patience devoted to LFS, is returned with a not fully satisfying product evolution.
"dude wtf is happening with lfs ? is it dead? devwise?"- is the question i get over and over
"u havent been following testpatch section? supreme vital shit has been added!"- i reply
"are we going to see gtp etc and new gfx?"- i get asked
-only map being drawn on each side of screen and flowers and more flowers. i stopped complaining now i just "tease" in heathy mode.
so much attention to random reqs on forum, especially selecting the easy ones...getting ahead of obvious better stuff waiting in an growing queue of quality reqs over the years. really old stuff that would be cutting edge to this day...
surrounded by an artificial world that worships the established, and is happy with the average, its this "okayness" thats bothering me. This is not what made LFS grow to the product we have nowadays. just an example:
some dude requested virtual mirror and real mirrors all at once...
some dude asked for better ai...
LFS , added the mirrors thing instantly and ignored the ai thread.
Everyone is free to say or request whatever they want, (i aknowledge that scawen patience is even beyond his understanding, and since he understands a lot its same as saying he is close to saintwood) sad thing is... when LFS , repeatedly over the last year and half, takes the easy route almost looking scared of coding challenging stuff. Can't be lack of confidence with a full forum backing him and worshiping the smallest flower. is it over-confyness? Or maybe already fully happy with what's achieved?. Doubt that, yet i fail to see the healthy ambition. Even understanding the obvious real-life constraints (at least one of them is a blessing not a constraint surely). It also drains away any will to help and enhance quality. Quality notices where its welcomed. If whats welcomed is the established the evolution stops.
AI, gyroscopic, ik players allowing karts and adjustable seats, umbra+penumbra shadows, more complex aero, and a lot lot of other private stuff, planned or constructevly suggested ideas get the constant kick ahead into the future, aka delay, to make room for these terciary branches that sometimes dont even fit the main tree, of core joy.
Please dont view happy customers as men who want to produce a better product. they aren't.
If stalling is enough for them its not enough for LFS. Not for the LFS i support since sep2002 with all my freetime and goodwill.
LFS is losing focus. If ppl knew how much LFS progressed from sep2002 to 0.1 or from 0.1 to 0.3(S1) or even someparts of the road to S2... So much at such a nice pace. I dont see how people with knowledge of the inside can share dif opinion.
is "Scawen" a coder just trying to maintain everyone ok with it or is he a men with a mission?
flowers added almost over 2 years TAKE TIME also. You could have taken the ballsy route.
Imho, at the root, its not a time problem, its not a pace problem, its not even a workforce problem, those are after-symptoms, imho and at a distance, its a vision and focus problem.
lfs could have been by now much more cutting edge and more important in the realm of videogames and simulations than it is.
iracing cant really win in some areas over 4 years of daily feebacked wip deved polishing (alpha/beta/forum), but it can win in its focused approach.
overall, they know what matters, better than scawen knows.
prioritizing things in order to serve the big branch.
iracing will prolly be more unpolished in the overall broad sense of paying attention to every need and hardware and special usage from each player, however i doubt that will make their product worse in the main focus of immersion at the racing arena.
my posts do jackshit, maybe iracing will be the carrot lfs needs.

i had this diagonally mangled inside. prolly came out garbled and spiky but its my own limitation of reason output blended over emotion.
Disagree at will, just dont u dare saying i dont care.
#9 - st0rm
altho its offtopic...
i totally agree on that ;\
out of focus must be it..

i'd trade the 200's small fixes done since patch U for just 4-5 more important ones,

like trying to make the car class closer in performance..
fixing the clutch pack LSD wierd behavior under braking (engine rev dropping?)
working on the clutch realism... (yea since the G25 will be used by alot of ppl).. oh and engine stalling maybe plz?
anything else that could benefit on physics, sounds, graphics... (game immersion i guess)
i think its been often discussed that the turbo doesnt acts properly too..

im glad scawen talked about at least trying to make some sounds improvements... i still see hope somehow..

august 2002 to 2003, those were the good ol days
You said it all Kid.. Everything what i was trying to say is in your post.
Sorry Scawen, but he's right, totally right.
We are aiming for total realism, and yet it seems that position and the color of the mini map somehow became the most important thing to add...
I just feel embarrassed from the past few posts. And feel bad that I'm going to continue this offtopic-ness here. You guys need to stop complaining...it's never ending crap that Scawen has to face here. The forum complains because we dont get a test patch for a long time, so here Scawen is coding like crazy to please us on a near daily basis by providing new fixes, however small they may be. The big changes are INCOMPATIBLE and require tons more coding and greater amounts of time. Eventually these will get done. But the complaining won't even end there. Then you guys will complain that he's taking too long to release a patch. This is ridiculous. Some people are so ungrateful. Way to treat the creator of the game we all love.....
@Kid

Id i didnt have to try so hard to understand what you typed up there, id guess you have some valid points. I think the key here is COMPATABLE.

If there was NO small changes and improvements made at all, we'd all be here moaning that lfs development has stopped, as we wouldnt realise that to do the bigger, non compatable stuff might take longer with all the testing, and none of the visual updates..

Since April, LFS has got better and better, and yes, agreed that placement of things on screen are less important than physics updates or failures/damage, but without those small changes, we would only be moaning at the lack of visual development.

You have to remember that everything will be inspired from a central dream, and from things that come and go around us. How about thinking of it this way.. Since April, there has been over 30 Patches released to LFS. Each one improving SOMETHING over the previous.

Kid, why aint you a dev yet?

EDIT: Appologies NetDemon01, if id have bothered to read your post before typing my own, I would have seen ive just repeated you there. Off-topicness.. Agreed, but if one gets away with it, others will follow. Lets just say, Kid, you just woke up a sleepy Stoney.
Quote from mkinnov8 :Since April, LFS has got better and better, and yes, agreed that placement of things on screen are less important than physics updates or failures/damage, but without those small changes, we would only be moaning at the lack of visual development.

i agree lfs has got better in some ways, but id rather have no patch and only progress reports to inform me that important stuff is being worked on...

seriously i dont even know what im talking about maybe they are working on important stuff, but what i know is that they arent telling us if they are.. so if they are not, i gotta assume that the last 6 month were dedicated on low-priority features.

Dont get me wrong, im grateful for dev's work, the game is still great, but the future seems blurred, while other games like iracing are getting closer and promising, and the last thing i would like to hear when its released is that its superior to LFS in physics by alot...
#14 - axus
Firstly, thanks for another update.

Continuing the OT bit (because I think I have something to say that people have ignored - these posts should probably be moved to the LFS progress 2006 thread though), I agree with a lot of what Kid has said in terms of the development route LFS is currently taking. Its on top in user friendliness by a long, long way. More is hardly needed (except a proper setup management system - no matter how much of a "hardcore-its-all-about-immersion-and-physics" person you are, you won't say no to that). On the other hand, immersion is seriously lacking compared to some other sims - interiors, sound, etc.

But what you forget is that it depends on what a programmer is inspired to do at that particular time, and I see this period of user-friendliness features coming to an end with Patch V. As a matter of fact, I see this as a push on the boring stuff (because I believe that Scawen enjoys doing physics changes a lot more than this type of thing, or LFS would not be the sim that it is :nod so that work on the important things can be done flat out with no distractions. And seeing as its very much a user-friendliness/polishing-off patch I see no harm in adding a 2 minute feature that, for whatever reason, people want. This way, all the little stuff can be moved out of the way in one go.

So yes, what I'm saying is "be patient".... it sounds a bit uninspiring after having heard it for so long now. But this is a different kind of "be patient", because the light at the end of the tunnel is almost here and in another thread, its already been posted that Patch V can be expected this year. After that, it should be hardcore simmmer heaven.

Disclaimer: I've taken quite a few guesses here, so don't hang me if I turn out to be wrong. I hope I haven't offended anyone in the process.

EDIT: I also agree with Colcob and Xaotik below, just didn't want to make my post a 3 page snorer.
I think people are perhaps failing to understand, and Scawen has maybe not explained, that there is a parallel development of different versions. Scawen clearly has a non-compatible next version build in which all the big stuff (car updates, physics updates, AI etc.) get worked on, and every now again he spends some time improving usability and implementing community requests in the current compatible version.

I've always assumed that behind the series of continuous but minor improvements we've seen in the U test patch series, there has been a continued development of the major features for S2 Final. But Scawen has been keeping quiet about them so as not to get caught out like before.

Now I may be wrong, but I'd anticipate that at some point there will be a sudden release of a major non-compatible patch, and we'll all suddenly see what's been going on behind the scenes.
I agree with Colcob. We shouldn't get impatient, they're really working on LFS right now. But things like these test-patches are necessary, not just the "colour of the map" but all those small features that make the game a little bit more complete.

Keep up the good work Scavier, you're going so fast that I can't keep up anymore
April to October is 7 months. You can't compare 7 months of much later on development to 12 of early development. Naturally, when a program is just begining it will feel like it is progressing in leaps and bounds.

It's obvious that we all care about LFS and the mentallity behind it - the independent. But being as independent as it is also carries a price, go read Scawen's report again - his life has changed drastically, this will be reflected in the way progress is made here. You can't expect a person to miss out on his son growing up because he had to code a virtual clutch...

I think it's time we (the fans) got our priorities straight as well.

EDIT:
And NO - I am not saying that "Scawen is hiding behind his family" and neither could anyone.

EDIT #2:
And to get back on track with the test patch:
I just noticed the RPM dial on the XRG, XRT, XRR cars is obscured partly by the fuel gauge.
Attached images
lfs_revdial.jpg
I also think that the reason that scawen is doing so many "customer service" type addons, is because he wants to keep U as compatible as possible, and any major changes, would have made an incompatible version, and we know that Scawen doesn't like to do this until the last possible point.
[reply written on Test Patch thread before moving]

I'll move the OT posts away in a while, perhaps to the progress thread. But for now I'll just reply.

Simply, the criticisms of LFS development stated a few posts back are just wrong and displaying a lack of understanding, and failure to see the big picture. Or if you wish, you may interpret that as my failure to explain to you what I'm doing every step of the way. But seriously, my job is not to explain to you every step of LFS development and every plan I have for it, while they run through my head. My job is to get LFS done.

It was actually the two Vista compatibility issues (unlocking and sound) and the arrival of the G25 wheel that got me onto this series of test patches. It's very important, with more and more people getting Vista, and us receiving several technical support emails "I can't unlock on Vista" and so on, for LFS to work on Vista. Also we need that improved controller support to be readily available to new users. Also I've had enough of "How do I install a patch, I've downloaded it and LFS doesn't work any more" so I've been working on and nearly finished the auto updater. And that means, Patch V needs to go on the main site. And guess what - it should not go up there completely bug ridden and full of hundreds of small issues that have been waiting a long time to be fixed. But it should be compatible, I need to do some months of incompatible work, which I have outlined elsewhere and won't go into here. And there's no point delaying the compatible fixes, leaving the much poorer version U up there when we are so close to V.

The compatible fixes and improvements are totally necessary. The irritated commentators on this thread have no idea how much reworking and improving goes on inside the program while I'm on a roll. Also they don't understand how much simply MUST be done, outside the core physics, to keep the program on track. It does actually take more time than the core itself. If a great majority of the time was spent on the core alone, we would have a physically accurate, but totally unusable simulator that attracted no more than the absolute hardcore simmer. And we'd be poor and have to give up LFS and go and get a job!

This work NEEDS to be done. It's nothing different from any time in the past. A lot of compatible fixes, tested thoroughly by the community, followed by an apparently quiet period while we work on incompatible things which cannot be tested by the community because every day's test patch is incompatible, which would causing hotlap and online madness. And in that apparently quiet periiod there will be a new post each week "Where are the devs gone" and "They've taken our money and run" and "The devs owe it to us to write a detailed progress report each week" etc, etc... you know how it goes by now.

Anyway, I'm very happy with these improvements, I'm sort of embarassed now by version U and it's flaws and imcompatibilities, the visible things and the internal messes it contains that I have sorted out. I'm itching to get that version V up there but it needs the auto-updater finished (a couple more days work) and the new (minor) sound updates (a few more days work - still awaiting some longer work in the future). Nearly every one of these test patches has had some VITAL fixes, along with a few irritations fixed and some minor or major features. It really is not a bad thing for LFS, these compatible things that have been done, bringing us so much closer to a final S2 that can be released, when the other craved updates are completed.

It's a little sad the lack of trust displayed in those preceding posts. The belief that something has gone wrong inside our heads, that the developers who once knew how to develop, have changed mentally in some way, are hiding away in a hole, scared to develop anything but just scratching at the surface. It's quite a pathetic belief in fact, when the truth is Eric's there working on things that will improve LFS a lot amd I am working 10 hour days getting so much done, as fast as possible to get a stable version up there ready for the approaching silent period of core development.

It's going so well, and as described elsewhere our lives have been sorted out a lot this year helped by the S2 success, after neglecting ourselves for years, due to LFS development. It would be nice if the off topic commentators could just be happy about it and have some faith in the simple understanding that we developers who got it this far, and have devoted so much of our lives to this, probably want to take it to the next stage as well!
Scawen, these test patches have been amazing, the scripting addition was well done and a good idea, the sound fix was a good thing finally making LFS more Future proof, the latest minor GUI things are nice to make LFS more usable and customizable. Some people may find these patches useless, but I have to say you have done an amazing job with these patches, adding features, whilst keeping the versions compatible .
Aha, posts finally moved. then i dare to reply ...

I think the fact that we are all are here, testing the test-patches and playing online every day is enough to show our faith and devotion to lfs. This Includes those who are not having off-topic argumentations in the test patch forum.
Scawen, I understand your point of view, but I sign Kids post all in all. How much days did that additional features etc. cost you? I know, you'd reply they didnt cost days, cause needed to be done, but honestly: It's nothing you had in mind, when thinking of what should be in S2... So imho it's lost days. While you're talking about people using the game, new customers etc. there is YOUR vital point: If LFS doesnt progress in some of the bigger issues (sound, gfx, online-code/collision detection,...), you will NOT gain any newer customers and will have to shut LFS down and call Mr Molyneux for a new job. If you start talking about customers, then take those effects into your mind: MP replays are not a pleasure to watch from the cockpit, due to - hardcore - stuttering wheel positions, no damage applied to aeromodel @ crashes causes questions of probably new customers ("eh, why this formula car still goes 300 with crashed wing??"). Those people DONT care about the options, it's NOT a VITAL thing to have bling bling in menus, as almost every really succesful game on the market showed, or does quake or counterstrike has good options and menus? And people dont use the "console" where they hack their commands in?
Counterstrike, to stay with the example of a succesful Online-only game, isnt succesful because of the "great" menu or the easy way to use it/set it up. It's because of the gameplay, the possibilities to watch other games online, and the easy way to get into an online game on the server.

I know, you dont like it, if people tell you, on what you should priorise, but I had to put my thoughts done. Get that damn V-Patch out and then finish S2, it's about time...
Quote from Scawen :[reply written on Test Patch thread before moving]
...Words from god.....

Very well written Scawen, I totally agree with you. Never mind them moaning people, just do what you think is right
Quote from Scawen :[reply written on Test Patch thread before moving]
It's a little sad the lack of trust displayed in those preceding posts. The belief that something has gone wrong inside our heads, that the developers who once knew how to develop, have changed mentally in some way, are hiding away in a hole, scared to develop anything but just scratching at the surface. It's quite a pathetic belief in fact, when the truth is Eric's there working on things that will improve LFS a lot amd I am working 10 hour days getting so much done, as fast as possible to get a stable version up there ready for the approaching silent period of core development.

I definitely want to highlight this paragraph - it really should show us that scawen and ALSO eric are more motivated working on LFS then ever before. And thats such a pleasure for me...

So especially i want to thank you scawen for having so much endurance in removing all the little bullsh*t () and adding usability features instead of just working on another physics update. That shows us that even with the aklternative working methods the dev's also work on not so interesting things that have to be done...

BTW: Victor would be motivated the same if he had some work to do for V oder W.

Greets,
Warper
Don't listen to the small amount of people that are complaining about your work and the work of the other devs. You're doing a great job by improving LFS on a regular basis. Many game-developers should copy your style, and should use it to improve their games as well, instead of releasing it, bring one or two patches and leave it that way. Keep your head up and remind yourself sometimes that most of the LFS-users are (extremely) pleased with this game, although they not always express themselves on this forum.
This thread is closed

(94 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG