The online racing simulator
well, considering it's such a god dam hard game, i take it and make myself look more manly infront of my friends(geeks).
Quote from sgt.flippy :I have a hunch I know who

I'm pretty sure you do, too

Lol, just realized that could be taken in very much the wrong way...
:

This should be information shared with your team you know

Quote from noise_is_life :Geeky? Who cares, are you getting laid? Then it's all good.

If you give up sex to race, then we'll talk.

Ahh....but there in lies the breaks.........

Do you risk not getting laid by telling your girlfriend you

A) Play this sim called LFS

B) Belong to a team

C) Actually race in organised leagues online with people from all over the world

D) Do all of this at the age of 32

TBH, it WAS a tough call to tell her, to the outside world I probably seem very "non-geeky", I ride a big feck off motorbike, I work out at the gym blah blah blah, so to me it was a big thing.

Hello, my names Dan, and I am an LFS addict..........
Quote from 96 GTS :I'm pretty sure you do, too

Lol, just realized that could be taken in very much the wrong way...

So, the consensus is, LFS is somewhere between not really geeky to somewhat geeky. Now, what REALLY is geegy sounding is when you are overheard by coworkers talking to another LFS racing coworker, "yea, me an Rappa Z came into turn 4 when Ball Bearing Turbo came barrelling out on the track from a spin. Me an Rappa Z got together a bit which allowed Fischfix to blast past all of us." Why can't we all learn everyone's normal names instead of remembering the online names so we don't sound so weird when talking about the last night's racing, hehe.
Playing racing sims doesn't make you a geek!

I've never been called a geek and I've met a few fellow simracers and they were really cool fun people and not at all like any stereotype geek

Of course if you approach a girl in a bar and tell them you "race online" it's not going to help you get anywhere with them. If they ask what your hobbies are, you don't have to be specific. You would do better to turn the question around. Anyway I've never been asked by a girl that I just met, what my hobbies are as they normally prefer talking about themselves.

My GF plays LFS quite often, although all she does every time is crash into stuff and smash the car to bits. At least she doesn't think playing LFS is geeky!
My girlfriend likes the idea of racing sims, she wouldn't understand if this was just a 'car game' or 'an idiotic war game that has no point'. She also enjoys I have a thing I like to do. For new friends it has been somewhat difficult to explain it's a simulator, not an ordinary game.

Quote from sgt. flippy :She thinks I'm nuts for wanting a G25 and willing to spend the money on it too.

Same here though

But anyway, I don't find it geek(ish).
Oh Yea, I forgot to say, if I do say I play a online game, I NEVER say i'm in a team, never usually say to girl I do much on my PC, I don't see it as geeky but the main fear as Dan says, is fi they find it Geeky and judge you highly on playing a game, but it's extremely shadow of them if they do so and don't deserve you if they do anyway.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Lol that video was so tard infested, so funny it had to be deleted from the PC, imagine someone looking at my pc....OMFG YOU'VE GOT VIDEOS OF JAFFA PWNAGE, YOU SICK BA***RD! Then realise he's from LFS By the T-Shirt then we will all be judged as fat jaffa pwnage guys.

Anyway, i'm sure Tristans next (or 1st?) girlfriend would LOVE to see the jaffa footage, hopefully someone hacks his MSN account and spreads it,whahhaaha, just joking......obviously.
I think it's geeky, but does it matter anyway? I enjoy the game, and that's what matters. Not to mention it has improved my real-life driving quite a bit. I don't feel proud to tell girls or friends about it though. (I'm a part time musician, and that's much more fun to talk about... girls love guitar players!)

Unfortunately, I'm broke by now. HOWEVER... College will be over in around 2 months. Expect a S2 licensed Marty for South America's summer time!!

Seriously. I don't want LFS to mess with my college grades! But once it's done...
For me, it was kinda natural to tell my girlfriend. We've been going out about a year and four months (shy a week and a half), and shes always known (even before we started dating) that I liked driving cars. She has even commented on me being a good driver (although I take it with a grain of salt, as she compliments a lot of people on things and isn't always earnest...).

Anyways, I expressed my interest of getting into racing with her, and she didn't take THAT too well. Seen far to many people to get hurt on TV and online to understand that autocrossing is a lot safer than bumper to bumper racing. When I found LFS, I told her, and she was really happy. If I say the game was a 'realistic simulator', she belives me, and doesn't view it as a 'game' persay. More like a hobby. Although she still can't belive I bought the G25: "HOW MUCH on a toy?"... Oops

But onto topic... Is it geeky? I think its a fine line. Its a great, safe, and cheap outlet for the urge/desire to race for real. But there comes a point, much like real pilots play flight simulators, they're still raise eyebrows at the guy with a 30 moniter setup for full 360 vision and flight controls.

My verdict? No. Although that possibly could be a biased opinion to save my fragile self esteem
LFS is technical (too much so for me ), so I think that qualifies it as being a geeky pastime. But I'm getting older, and I'd much prefer a bit of geek over pre-pubescent twitch trash gaming any day...
its a bit geeky but its not as bad as some faggot games like...runescape. I just think its a bit geeky having a wheel and pedals set up in front of my computer, so i take those down if i have anyone over
Quote from Vendetta :its a bit geeky but its not as bad as some faggot games like...runescape. I just think its a bit geeky having a wheel and pedals set up in front of my computer, so i take those down if i have anyone over

Took the words outta my mouth, man.
My last girlfriend saw all the Jaffa Cake footage, including my own, and she found it hilarious.

You just wait til you see me in a lycra bodysuit as a superhero from a pantomime six or seven years ago. Oh no, wait, you won't ever see it.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#93 - Jakg
Quote from Vendetta :its a bit geeky but its not as bad as some faggot games like...runescape. I just think its a bit geeky having a wheel and pedals set up in front of my computer, so i take those down if i have anyone over

i played runescape for a while... *sobs*

Playing Runescape DOESN'T make you geeky, it just makes reasonable people turn into sad tossers with no lives!
I played runescape for an hour and got bored with it

And has anyone tried looking 'geek' up in the dictionary?
"a person, especially a man, who is boring and not fashionable"

I may be a bit boring but at least I have my own personal taste in fashion ^_^. (hoodies suck :P)
lol i do not think its geeky no1 considers sport games geeks. Geeky games are WOW and stuff like that. My life is lfs and football
I actually really don't give a damn what other people think about it....but for the sake of science i ventilated my enthousiasm during a sigarette break @ work.
The answer i got was typical.

"you play a racing simulator online? Nice for you, i don't play games myself, but i know this guy and he's a real freak. He even goes to these so called 'lan-party's!!! Most of the gamers must be really addicted (i didnt even bother trying to explain that smoking is also an addiction...)'.
If you act like something is geek then people think it is.

Ask people about their hobbies, sometimes you will be surprised of how void are the lives of those that call you geek. Probably they only follow their girlfriend's orders and are frustrated.

And about girls... going shopping and tryin like 10E+23 clothes IS GEEK. My gf does the things I don't like with her friends, I do what she doesn't like with mine, and we share the things we both like.

Then we can talk about what each one did, and we are very happy that way. Sharing time with your partner is great as long as it doesn't mean 100% of your time.

I think that this thread is "geeky".

But LFS? Well who says that Karting is geeky? Who says F1 is geeky? Who says that any motorsport is geeky?

It annoys me that just because its on a computer, people call it geeky.
Quote from Eldanor :
... going shopping and tryin like 10E+23 clothes IS GEEK.

Nofi of course but using terms like 10E+23 is pretty geeky.
Quote from De Hongaar :Nofi of course but using terms like 10E+23 is pretty geeky.

Hehe. Learning Pi is pretty geeky too but I try not to advertise that myself.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG