The online racing simulator
Well, when it comes down to it, we're all just pretending to be race drivers and it's the 'pretending' bit that seems childish or geeky.

Funnily enough, if you look at famous movie actors, they're adored and worshipped the world over and all they do is play make-believe themselves :P.

Luckily for myself, however, LFS is the only 'game' I regularly play anymore, but due to my current life situation I have plenty of time to play after work and I still manage to get out a few nights a week to knock back some pitchers with friends and flirt with the girls.

Nobody really knows how serious I am about my sim racing skills except the people I know online!
Quote from mrodgers :Ok, now you ALL are getting real geeky!!!

Hmm, I haven't used any sort of formula since school. All I do now is produce expanded polypropylene and polyethylene foam. Such exitement there. I have geeky engineers to do all the formula stuff for me, hehe.

insulation?
Quote from Racer Y :insulation?

Well, sort of. Acoustic insulation panels for office cubicle walls and ceiling tiles. Also, automotive bumpers, doorpanels, headliners, seats, headrests, crashtest dummy instrumentation, athletic field artificial turf underlayment, hardwood floor underlayment, igloo coolers are to be sent to Home Depots soon, Harley Davidson has some prototype seats but I haven't heard anything for a while on that. Dell computer packaging, Boeing airliner interior panels, John Deere tractor cab panels and fenders. All kinds of stuff. How about horse and pig blankets, LOL. They really get high tech with the horse and pig blankets .

Molded expanded polypropylene foam is an excellent energy absorber, so per your signature, go ahead and come after me you 22 lb. sledge hammer, hehe. Can't hurt me all covered in EPP

I always did like your signature.
I've had those thoughts Dan many times. Am I considered a geek? and is it worth putting in so much time just for a game (or simulation )?. These things come in and out of my head loads of times. Personally, I play LFS A LOT!!! and proof being is my stats on LFS world (PBs, laps done and so on). There are many who have a lot higher stats than me but thats either because they play LFS 24 hours a day or play a good chunk every day. Tbh, I'm sure many of you know this but in a sense, the reason why I play LFS is because I want to be a better driver in terms of RL racing. I'm trying to get into RL racing and finding the situation quite difficult (money, family etc.) so I think in some sort of way, I think that I'm preparing myself for the real thing by playing LFS which I know sounds crazy but what would you do if you couldn't go down to the racetrack regularly?. As Niki stated, Gaming is one if not the main thing the youth do these days. My friends know that I play LFS a lot and love it and they're ok with it because its just the same for them when it comes to football games or shooting games. So, basically, in this day and age, I believe computer geek is a term that used to be used but now, doesn't exist.
Quote from mrodgers :Well, sort of. Acoustic insulation panels for office cubicle walls and ceiling tiles. Also, automotive bumpers, doorpanels, headliners, seats, headrests, crashtest dummy instrumentation, athletic field artificial turf underlayment, hardwood floor underlayment, igloo coolers are to be sent to Home Depots soon, Harley Davidson has some prototype seats but I haven't heard anything for a while on that. Dell computer packaging, Boeing airliner interior panels, John Deere tractor cab panels and fenders. All kinds of stuff. How about horse and pig blankets, LOL. They really get high tech with the horse and pig blankets .

Molded expanded polypropylene foam is an excellent energy absorber, so per your signature, go ahead and come after me you 22 lb. sledge hammer, hehe. Can't hurt me all covered in EPP

I always did like your signature.

Man, you can make alot of stuff from foam. Wow.
When I used to make hydraulic fluid for off shore rigs, I mixed it all in a 6000 gal. polypropelene tank - pretty big for a plastic jug.

LOL I wouldn't be suprised about the pig & horse blankets, Some a those cowboys are pretty high tech.

LOL as for the signature, thanks
It was gonna be," I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but when you have a 9 inch shaft who cares? but I didn't wanna ROFL "brag about my personal assets" ROFL!
Its not playing LFS making you a geek, its being a geek playing LFS. I know sounds rude, but its the truth if you think its geeky. Personally i dont think LFS is geeky. Its for true racers, drifters, dragers, and fags who purposely crash serous racers (i saw a vid on youtube... his comments was flodded with payouts and shit =D).
I do understand how some people could find computer games geeky, but I disagree when it comes to LFS.
A friend of mine plays WoW in his free time and can go on and on about it and he knows people irl who he can talk to about it. (Sometimes I'll be a friend and just listen to him )
For me it's more difficult, because none of my rl friends are into cars or LFS as much as I am. I can talk endlessly about either of the two, but nobody can follow me or give me a good conversation about these things.
I now know plenty of people on LFS and like talking to them, driving with them etc., but it doesn't feel right having 1/3 of your msn contacts under LFS Group...
Wheel folks this is mine fist post as you all can see. I have jest bought S2 few days ago. But I mast say I'm playing demo for year and half. The problem is money situtation. We are poor country and I'm 3th greade of high school. I can't tell you lot about that thing whit girls becouse I've never had gf for sirious like people of 25+ years. But I can tell you about frends stuff. We have cyber cafes and folks goes there to play if they don't have computer, of course I have computer at home . I'm only one that play LFS somethimes there but ther's all of bunch of people play MMORPG.illepall I have never played any RPG game (that is geeke). Since ever I'm playing only Cars and FPS. The funnyest and most crazy people sometims you can see there, so you are not geek if you play games on computer, geeks are peple who wheere wierd closhe and lerning every day for school. As I have found LFS I stoped to play any other game. Now it's all about LFS. LFS is like some drog, man allmoust all mine free time goes into LFS. But reason that we all play LFS is that we can spend our time in something that we like. We all LOVE motorsport and racing. I can't be Race Draver in real life becouse of money situation, but hell, I can be race driver in virtual world. And that virtual world is so much like real one. We all love racing (overtaking, defendig, winning and all things that goes whit motorsport ). And I look LFS like some kind of hooby it is not a GAME any more to me! Ah yeah, mine frends was thinking that I'm totaly insane that Im playing same game for 1,5 year. I meen same car and track, but now I have 1000 cars and tracks, muhahahahhah. Now they don't think that I'm freek. If you like BTCC, WTCC, DTM ecc. and I'm sure you would like to race whit Mat Neal or some othere folks from there but same reasone you can't, don't be sad there's LFS!!!
Quote from Chris P :it doesn't feel right having 1/3 of your msn contacts under LFS Group...

2/3rds here. :S
I don't think it's geeky at all. In fact it really helps with my karting. The first time i went there were some pretty experienced racers there and i kept up with them. I wouldn't have done this without LFS. LFS helps you get your timing right. It increases your reflexes imo. I'm comfortable with telling people i virtually race online with my own steering wheel but they all seem to find it quite cool. Many people haven't been able to resist a go.
I don't really see it as geeky. It's what i enjoy doing, so i dont really care what others think. If i was rich i'd buy a ferrari and take it to a track, but since i'm broke i'll have to settle for LFS I don't see how a race sim is considered "nerdy" but actual racing is "cool". Both real cars and LFS involve computers
To some people it will always be geeky/nerdy because it's using a computer when you could be doing what they would do, i.e. watching whatever drivel is on TV.

I've sat my gf (and mate's gf) down in front of my setup and let them drive a car around. They didn't do too well (as most new folk wouldn't), but then you explain that it takes a bit of practise, throw in some other people to race against and they get the idea.

However, if you take it too seriously then it might be geeky. My gfs have all said it was geek to be in a clan/team when I played FPS games. Thankfully, I don't have a regular free day of the week so playing in leagues, etc. is out.
who cares if its geeky or not LFS is the best that has happened to me. I TAKE IT AS A SIMULATOR AND IT IS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nevah!

I could list a hundred things more geeky than LFS... but on the other hand if LFS is geeky then for my God and Country I'll go to grave as a geek!
Do I feel geeky/nerdy/ for playing LFS... hell no! If someone thinks that playing LFS is nerdy than they really dont have a clue. I think It actually boosts my self esteem whenever I get a new pb, or win a race. lol.

I would feel nerdy/geeky/emberresed, if I was playing some useless warcraft game, or Star wars or some crap like that though.
Is just playing lfs geeky? I'd say no. Is buying a 100 dollar (or more) wheel for the game, and devoting huge chunks of time (id say anymore than an hour and a half a day) to the game which could be used for (real) social interaction geeky? Well duh? Embrace your geekdom people! Its not an insult like some of you treat it. Id go more into depth on this but taking the time to address this subject at all, as well as the fact its taking place on a friggin internet forum is geeky enough.
I never get embarrased about telling people i SIMRACE, at least you can take some of it out on the real road, but i do get embarrased about FPS' because i use voice comms all the time, and people think your talking to them, or yourself. And for me FPS games are the WTF WAS THAT type of games that don't get your many mates
Embrace your LFS racing geekdom people!

Without geeks, there won't be computers to run LFS on, let alone anyone to come up with the very IDEA of LFS.
Hmm, I wonder if LFS will end up to some playstation thingy sometime in future, then it at least won't be geeky I think?

But I really don't care if LFS playing is geeky as I'm one of those anyway so no harm done

But isn't rfactor modding more geeky, editing those text files on small hours that contain weird cryptic lines with numbers?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG