The online racing simulator
Non-Native English Speakers
(58 posts, started )

Poll : How easy is it for you to participate in an English-language forum?

I am fluent, communication in English is easy for me.
I can read others' posts OK, but sometimes it's hard to express myself in English.
I sometimes have to look up technical words or unusual words.
I am English but my language is atrocious and an embarrassment to the nation.
I don't like English, I wish I could post in my own language.
It is an exaggerated way of emphasising exclamation, typically used in sarcastic context, referring to a specific group of people who write in a similar manner during normal internet conversations, or think in a specific way (e.g. ricers).

For example, if I were to post a reply where I would say that I wished nitrous oxide to be implemented in LFS I could explain it in a rational fashion, with an attempt at correct and appropriate grammar etc., or I could go "z0mG!!11 I wan tT3h NAWZZzzZzz!111oneoneeleven".
Maybe this will help?
3 different theorys of "What is eleven, or 11" roughly at the same time, guite interesing
#29 - CSU1
Quote from NotAnIllusion :It is an exaggerated way of emphasising exclamation, typically used in sarcastic context, referring to a specific group of people who write in a similar manner during normal internet conversations, or think in a specific way (e.g. ricers).

oh! thank you, but wtf are ricers lol?
Hehe, they are people who modify their cars based on their looks, not performance and frequently believe (contrary to fact) that in fact their huge rear spoilers and 30" rims give the car better handling or performance.
Maybe this will help?
I'm reletivly fluent, I just very rarely have to look up words, so I voted the first option.
And if it should come to looking up words LEO is my friend
Leetspeak is

Quote :on our f0rum, infectin our uzorz.

PS, this car has been riced!
Attached images
Poser.JPG
#34 - Vain
"Danger to teh Manifold!!!!1111" is leetspeak too.

Vain
Quote :"Danger to teh Manifold!!!!1111" is leetspeak too.

No-one is immune...!
#36 - JTbo
I have made test where I did wrote in finnish and english, I made less errors with english, I guess I write quite horrible finnish then

But as I have been communicating more with english for several years, I guess some how I learn, I think
Quote from thisnameistaken :<snip>
Yeah. I'm more comfortable picking on my own compatriots than I am foreign nationals. You especially have to watch what you say to the americans these days.
<snip>

Indeed. *loads up the shotgun, throws it in the pickup truck, and drives to England* Yeehaw!!!
*makes cup of tea, cleans out the pipe, and awaits the brash American* What-oh!
Quote from Electrik Kar :
PS, this car has been riced!

no, this car has been totally f**ked up

As for the poll. I chose the last option....well, waddya eksepkt from a Londoner?
I think my English is pretty fluent, it's not perfect, but I don't look stuff up in a dictionary. About grammer, and how to use verbs... I mostly use them correctly, but at my school we have to give an English explanation why we use that form, and then it gets hopeless While my verb is correct most of the time.
Heh.. option one for me...

Fro the first 10 years Czech was my first language but since then I used English... My english has got to a point that its better than my Czech as i only did 3 years of czech school.. When we moved over i was basically thrown into an english school with a big dictionary (sixth year of school in the UK) and ever since then I just learnt english from everyday experiences/ talking with people etc....... I have never had a proper teacher who would teach me english starting with the grammar from the very beggining.... all just picked up from everyday use by others...
Well for most of my life I used portuguese, but when I went to the US i speaked english only for 11 months, only speaking portuguese once a week for 10-15mins.

Since i got back from the US my english has been going down hill, but i usually speak much much better tham how i write. Writing was never a strong point on me. That was one of the thing my teachers (from highschool) couldnt understand, how could i speak english so well and yet almost fail on english exams (grammar etc etc)
English is so natural for me. I guess it's all thanks to computers and games
All the games, magazines, walkthroughs etc were in english when I was little, so I picked up the language by accident really. I have never had to practice english. Only thing that causes problems is when I have to talk english, because I do it so rarely it does not come naturally.
I've been studying English intensively since the age of 7 till 22, scored 633 of 670 points in TOEFL last year. But I struggle with the narrow vocabulary especially when speaking. You can't keep a near-native level living outside of the language environment.

I'm an economist, but half of the Foreign Languages Department graduates speak English worse than me. Seems that I'm talented, because there is really nothing difficult in learning English except pronunciation (that's a pain in the neck!). To be Slavic or Finnish is an advantage when you learn a Western-European language: all of them are simpler.

Lingua italiana dallo zero fino al livello Tre-C di CILS in un anno e mezzo
I'd say, Im between option 1 and 2, but closer to option 1, so I voted that. I think (hope ), my posts are understandable. (except the comma use, of course )
I really do have to compliment the English of many of our non English speakers on this forum. I find myself forgetting that these users don't speak English normally, and are actually speaking their second language. I also find it quite apalling how bad the English of many native English speakers (British and Americans both) is on here. It's actually quite sad. Mostly it's stupid mistakes that could be spotted and fixed if the user took the two seconds to go back and reread their post before hitting submit...
The first three voting choices are too much the same... voted the 2nd option.

In school I have always had average/good English numbers (lack of motivation as usually). After I started spamming this forum (before I didn't read any English forums actively) I think my written English and vocabulary has been better than ever. I have never actually cared the grammar rules (not even in my native language), more important for me is that does the writing look "right" and is it understandable. So I think reading English forums helps hugely to sustain skill after you have left school, of course you'll hear English all the time in the movies, tv etc. but it's not the same thing.
Quote from AndroidXP :I think I'm pretty fluent, but I always have an online translator nearby, mostly for unusual words or for spellchecking. Sometimes I have a bad day and my vocabulary sucks all of a sudden, but most of the time it's okay.

Yeah, me too... Watching movies in english does also help (I basically learned english with that)...
I learned english from when I was really young, from watching TV. I was the only one able to speek fluent english when we had our first lesson at school.

me speak great english language!
i class myself somewhere between
I can read others' posts OK, but sometimes it's hard to express myself in English.
I sometimes have to look up technical words or unusual words.
some days i really struggle to get my point across and every now and then ive decided not to post at all because of this
and discussing setups is a steep learning curve language wise if youve never heard all the english words before so i had to look up a lot when i first got here
on the other hand in my profession (or rather the one im learning to do) its the exact opposite as most techical term in cutting edge engineering just dont have a non english translation

Quote from CSU1 :like that Canadian guy who has "I LOVE THE RING" plastered all over his avetar lmao

oh dear

Quote from tristancliffe :*makes cup of tea, cleans out the pipe, and awaits the brash American* What-oh!

you will be wating a long time till he figures out how to get across the atlantic ocean with his pick up

Non-Native English Speakers
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG