The online racing simulator
Survey for a new remote configuration utility! Please particiapte!
Hi, as a part of my final year's major project at university I have decided to ask you, the target market, a few things that will be forming a basis for some of the development of my project. It is a web utility to configure LFS servers, and the following short questionnaire covers some of the things I would like to know from you.

Quote :Part 1

1) Have you developed a remote configuration utility for LFS?
2) List any remote configuration utilities for LFS that you actively use.
3) List any other remote configuration utilities for LFS, that you currently know of.

Part 2

4) Would you be interested in using a web user interface to remotely configure an LFS server?
5a) Do you regularly host an LFS server?

The rest of Part 2 is directed at current hosters. If your answer to 5a was NO, please skip the rest of Part 2.

5b) If yes, do you use a hosting service or your own computer for hosting?
6a) If you use a hosting service, list any scripting and database technologies they support.
6b) If you do NOT use a hosting service, list any scripting and database technologies you currently use on your
computer.

On a scale from 1 - 5 where 1 is the least and 5 is the most useful, how useful would it be for you to be able to

7a) save a configuration to file on a script server (which is not your LFS server)?
7b) an LFS server?

8a) view a configuration file on a script server (which is not your LFS server?
8b) an LFS server?

9) store and retrieve configurations, or templates of ~, to/from a database?

10) apply a configuration "directly" (i.e. without making a file for it) to an online server?

Part 3

11) If there was any information about an online server you would like to know before changing its configuration,
what would it be (complete configuration information is not possible to obtain)?

12) Any other relevant comments, suggestions, ideas or critique?

Thank you very much for responding,
H. Karjalainen
idols Hanna? Tilt
Part 1

No
None
3) List any other remote configuration utilities for LFS, that you currently know of.
None

Part 2

4) Would you be interested in using a web user interface to remotely configure an LFS server?
Yes really interested
Yes 24/7

The rest of Part 2 is directed at current hosters. If your answer to 5a was NO, please skip the rest of Part 2.

Someone elses dedicated computer which is on 24/7
6a) If you use a hosting service, list any scripting and database technologies they support.
N/A
6b) If you do NOT use a hosting service, list any scripting and database technologies you currently use on your
computer.
N/A

On a scale from 1 - 5 where 1 is the least and 5 is the most useful, how useful would it be for you to be able to

7a) save a configuration to file on a script server (which is not your LFS server)?
7b) an LFS server?

8b) an LFS server?

10) apply a configuration "directly" (i.e. without making a file for it) to an online server?

Part 3

11) If there was any information about an online server you would like to know before changing its configuration,
what would it be (complete configuration information is not possible to obtain)?
No real wishes

:elefant: :gt:
Part 1

No
None
None

Part 2

Yes- Already Do
Yes

500 Servers (hosting campany)
err...
computer.

7b) an LFS server?
8b) an LFS server?

Part 3

nothing in perticular

:davrosmil
#5 - filur
A simple ban / kick web interface, maybe not really 'configuration'.

None.

DediLink?

Why not.

Yes.

Local PC.

computer.
PHP, MySQL, SQLite

7b) an LFS server?

8b) an LFS server?

11) If there was any information about an online server you would like to know before changing its configuration, what would it be (complete configuration information is not possible to obtain)?
Is there currently a race in progress.

Skip database use, even a ridiculous amount such as 100 cfg-files should really be quite simple to manage without a database being involved.
Part 1

Only for "simple" things. Not really fully fledged.

None.

Dedilink.

Part 2

Provided it's secure, yes.

Semi-regularly.

Own server.

6b) If you do NOT use a hosting service, list any scripting and database technologies you currently use on your computer.
PHP, Perl, Python, Bash, etc.
MySQL, SQLite

7b) an LFS server?

8b) an LFS server?

Part 3

Current number of players, track, whether a race is in progress.

You may wish to consider looking at libdbi, if you're gonna be using C, to abstract the database stuff.
Hi,

I've admin access on multiple servers, some are hosted by my team, others on a dedicated server by friends. I'll answer the question for all of them.

Part 1

no

BrowseForSpeed and a userpanel made by our hoster

BrowseForSpeed, Dedi2GUI (never used that one though)

Part 2

Yes, if it makes adminning easier over the current options.

Yes

Hosting service, and on a dedicated computer from a friend

PHP, no database access.

computer.
PHP, MySQL

7b) an LFS server?

8b) an LFS server?

Part 3

As much as possible. I'm a bit bugged that at the moment, nowhere I can see how certain settings are on the server (i.e. maxcars).

On the gamepanel of the hosting service, I can stop and start the server. It would be nice to have such a function on the servers I run at my friend's server.
Oh crap, I just realised I made a typo in the thread title Please please people keep responding. It's better to have too many rather than not enough and thank you very much to people who have responded so far Big grin
Bump Wink
Not for servers, no.
My server allows me to configure the welcome message from a web page and I can ftp into the server. It is hosted by ukct.
You can change something or other from lfsworld, but I dont use that.
When I am active as an admin I am online, if i'm not there, i'm just not there. More power and functionality might be useful but remote management from a web browser would just give more people an excuse to MSN me at work.
1 Server 24/7.
Hosting Data Centre - UKCT.
It is on the UKCT Wrecker Barricade
Not in the least useful, what if it goes down or closes?
7b) an LFS server?
I can ftp into mine, so it isn't useful for me.
I'd rather the config wasn't public, especially the password bit!
8b) an LFS server?
I doubt I would use it.
It would take longer to check the configuration has the settings I want than to make a file with what I want.
More functionality for server admins might be useful, thinks like banning users via an ID# without having to type in their often hard to spell LFS World names, but editing a config is something you do only rarely and therefore such a utility would be more effort to setup than the reward.
Selectable tracks list maybe, but i'm clutching at straws.
I've mentioned one, to be honest the config file is done once, maybe a handful of times in a servers life, as a utility to aid admins I dont think you are looking in the right direction. Live changes however, more power and flexibility in the command line, now that might be useful. ie: atm I select weather based on a number and have to end race to do it and start it again to see what it looks like - this is hard with players online who dont click start etc. Let me change that by /weather=overcast and that would be more useful.
Part 1

Nope
None
Dedilink

Part 2

Uh, sure, sounds kinda neat
Nope

computer.

7b) an LFS server?
8b) an LFS server?
Part 3

If this is for normal clients, there should be some set boundries of what they can and can't do
One final bump Smile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG