The online racing simulator
Slow M.P.H. Leaving Pits
(30 posts, started )
Slow M.P.H. Leaving Pits
During a race any time I go to the Pits and make changes or normal stop, the fastest speed that I can get up to is around 47 m.p.h. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or is it something wrong with the software. I sure would like some help on this one.

thanks,
Handler
-
(ayrton senna 87) DELETED by ayrton senna 87
Try turning the pit limiter off (L by default).
Quote from Handler :During a race any time I go to the Pits and make changes or normal stop, the fastest speed that I can get up to is around 47 m.p.h. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or is it something wrong with the software. I sure would like some help on this one.

thanks,
Handler

Turn off your speed limiter. I think it's L on the keyboard, but am not sure. It can be mapped in the options to whatever you want.
Wow, simultaneous posts
another classic post.
Quote from Handler :During a race any time I go to the Pits and make changes or normal stop, the fastest speed that I can get up to is around 47 m.p.h. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or is it something wrong with the software. I sure would like some help on this one.

thanks,
Handler

Under FIA regulations the fastest a vehicle can travel down the pitlane is 80kph or 50mph. Speeding in the pitlane is a serious offence and can be punish by several different means. Those include stop go penalties, drive through or exclusion fom the race or event.
I've had a couple of really irritating pit violations recently, just exiting the pits and getting tapped by another car behind, pulling out of their pit stall, its enough to send the car just over the 80kmh limit and i have to go round for a drive-thru penalty. Most annoying!
Quote from al heeley :I've had a couple of really irritating pit violations recently, just exiting the pits and getting tapped by another car behind, pulling out of their pit stall, its enough to send the car just over the 80kmh limit and i have to go round for a drive-thru penalty. Most annoying!

Thats racing unfortunately.
#9 - steve
Quote from FEANOR :Thats racing unfortunately.

what about a lag bump? where you get shot off at 200kph..
If you stay in 1st you seem to get a maximum of 47mph, but if you change to second you tend to get either 48 or 49 mph. Only gonna save a tenth or two in a race, but it could mean a better result!
Quote from FEANOR :Thats racing unfortunately.

You mean it's racing if you run down the pitlane and some dumbass who pulls out of his pit stall withour worrying if someone is driving along hits you?
Quote from tristancliffe :If you stay in 1st you seem to get a maximum of 47mph, but if you change to second you tend to get either 48 or 49 mph. Only gonna save a tenth or two in a race, but it could mean a better result!

Wouldn't it be more accurate for the pit-limiter to be rev-based instead of speed based? I'd prefer a setup variable to manually set the limiter revs which you'd have to alter according to your 1st gear ratio.
I'm not sure, but I thought that F1 cars (for example) use a wheel speed sensor on the front wheel to measure the speed. This means they don't need to reset the limiter software after a gear ratio adjustment.

But as I say I don't know, it's just a logical deduction.
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm not sure, but I thought that F1 cars (for example) use a wheel speed sensor on the front wheel to measure the speed. This means they don't need to reset the limiter software after a gear ratio adjustment.

But as I say I don't know, it's just a logical deduction.

Hmm...you could be right. I've heard it called a rev-limiter a few times which made me think it was based on engine revs rather than speed. A site I just found says that the limiter can only be engaged in first or second gear which supports your idea that it's speed based.
Ignore me and carry on
Quote from al heeley :I've had a couple of really irritating pit violations recently, just exiting the pits and getting tapped by another car behind, pulling out of their pit stall, its enough to send the car just over the 80kmh limit and i have to go round for a drive-thru penalty. Most annoying!

ahh i hate that as well. Got a tap on the way into the pits earlier on tonight. i got drive throug penalty but car behind didn't illepall
Quote from GeForz :You mean it's racing if you run down the pitlane and some dumbass who pulls out of his pit stall withour worrying if someone is driving along hits you?

Mate it hapens in real racing when the driver is released as a car is getting close. Have a look at the Monza round of this years F1 championship to cars went side by side down the pits. That was very nearly an accident but it was also for position.
I think real pitlimiters are based on speed-meter and working with ignition-interruption. And thats exactly what i'm missing in LFS until now... Real GT cars are screeming really loud while passing pitlane. Because ignition-interruption is totally remorseless for the engine.

In LFS you drive through the pit lane with an engine limited to exactly 79 kp/h without any problems... totaly quiet.

We need some rumble in da house
Quote from FEANOR :Mate it hapens in real racing when the driver is released as a car is getting close. Have a look at the Monza round of this years F1 championship to cars went side by side down the pits. That was very nearly an accident but it was also for position.

perhaps i understand it wrong but isn't "pit-stall" the building and not the place where you make your pitstop?
Um, what has that got to do with the discussion about the speed limiter?

In LFS you can hit 'L' in any gear, it limits your speed, not your revs. It's therefore technically not a rev limiter, but it works as well as it should do, I don't really want the extra complication of having to reset depending on gearing, I know its supposed to be an accurate sim, but this factor does not detract from the gameplay in my opinion, it makes it easier to concentrate on more important things like racing well and setting the car up.
it would be nice to be able to couple a wheel spin to trigger the limiter on. hmm wonder if its been done before?
like a shitty version of traction control? I think it would upset the car massively...
yeah but it's the kind of bodge i enjoy perfecting!

:homersimp
Quote from al heeley :In LFS you can hit 'L' in any gear, it limits your speed, not your revs. It's therefore technically not a rev limiter, but it works as well as it should do

Correct. When you have 'show pedals' on, you can see LFS automatically limits the throttle when close to the speed limit (and the limiter on of course).

In real life a limiter like that wont make the car sound any different than when you're just cruising, using little throttle. I don't know if a throttle limiter is realistic or not - I'd assume it needs a drive-by-wire system - SuperGT (former JGTC, the series the big GTRs are supposed to resemble) rules require a mechanical throttle linkage
Quote from Huru-aito :
In real life a limiter like that wont make the car sound any different than when you're just cruising, using little throttle.

Ever heard an F1 or a V8Supercar in pit lane. They sound like rubbish because they keep the throttle flat to the deck and to compinsate the engine management unit makes the egine miss so they splutter along pitlane and its no beacuse their at low rev either.

Also the pit bay (according to CAMS) is the area defined as area directly infront of the garage. Further more the pit bay is marked and any work undertaken outside of this marked area can result in any number of penalties (fines, stop-go's and drive throughs or exclusion from the race or the event).

Slow M.P.H. Leaving Pits
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG