The online racing simulator
Another new player!
(13 posts, started )
Another new player!
An unhappy one!

I've been playing the demo, I say playing but really I mean swearing at my mouse while trying to use it to drive a car. I'm normally a first person shooter, but I’ve decided it's time to race sims. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place right now. I pre ordered my first wheel the Logitech G25, however Dabs have changed their initial 5 days lead time to over 4 weeks and all other suppliers are near enough the same. I’ve called Logitech who tell me it’s released but can’t explain why you can’t buy it on their site. It seems from spending hours reading posts it’s due for release mid October. So I’ve thought about buying a cheap £25 wheel to use in the meantime, but then they’re no good and will dampen my experience. I’ve seen a recon Momo for sale on ebay for £37 delivered. I’m thinking to order that and sell it on when I get my G25. However that’s not worth the hassle if I’m going to wait 5 days to receive that only for another week to pass before I receive my G25.

So as it stands I’m going to have…

GTR2
Need for speed most wanted
Crashday

Sitting on my desktop for god knows how long while not being able to play them.

Any ideas?
Learn to use the mouse better. I myself am a mouse driver, now I don't recomend becomming a mouse driver, or staying a mouse driver if you have a ball mouse, or track ball. Optical is needed for LFS, and if you have a lazer mouse even better. I myself am simply using my Microsoft Optical mouse. What you need to do, is take the FO8 to the oval and start driving there. Once you get used to the car at speed, and turning at speed, you can start taking the tracks on.
#3 - SamH
Joystick.

It's a temporary solution, and obviously it's nothing like a wheel, but if your alternative is a mouse, I'd vote for the joystick in the short term every time. At least it gets you on the track, and the large and proportional motion of the joystick does at least get you learning the tracks and brake-points. Configure the forwards/backwards to be accelerate and brake.. then when your wheel finally arrives, you've got yourself a head-start, because the translation from joystick to wheel and pedal won't be so dramatic.

That's my 2p
-
(CSU1) DELETED by CSU1 : :doh: :)
Quote from Doeboy :
So as it stands I’m going to have…

GTR2
Need for speed most wanted
Crashday

Heh, so LFS will be your only sim then.
As far as I can tell UK orders won't be shipped until the 13th of this month. My order is with Komplett, and they 'claim' that my order is confirmed for dispatch on the 13th (although they also admit to only have 4 on order, and I can't imagine I was one of the first 4).

It might be worth phoning around suppliers to see which is most likely to ship first. Google's Froogle UK [beta] shows quite a lot 'on sale' starting at £140. Give some a ring, and change your order from Dabs to whoever says they'll get you one first.
I was lucky enough to own a MS Sidewinder joystick
I played with that for about a month, and wasnt to bad (BL1/FXR - 1:09'ish). Then i went and splashed out on a Logitech wheel (£40'ish+).
I dont like using mouse much, i can do it! but its not wonderful, I also use a laptop and a touchpad when i have to drive on spare moment and not in my bedroom (Where wheel is).

I dont know what i would do, maybe buy a cheap joystick if u have not got one at the moment!
But then again, just over a week to wait (is it?). so, maybe save the money and muck around with mouse for abit.
Quote from Dygear : What you need to do, is take the FO8 to the oval and start driving there. Once you get used to the car at speed, and turning at speed, you can start taking the tracks on.

hes a demo driver illepall
Fine then, step one, buy lfs, step two, get in the FO8 and drive around the KY1 track. Happy?
please refrain from telling Dygear about mistakes that he makes....he gets very irritated
Quote from Dygear :Fine then, step one, buy lfs, step two, get in the FO8 and drive around the KY1 track. Happy?

not a clever idea, just a simple solution
I know how it feels mate i'm now waiting for my DFP wheel to come which i ordered off dabs. It's frustrating but I'd just hang on until you get the wheel fella and just play FPS games until it arrives. I used to play medal of honour hich was a great game online.
i use MOMO and i am happy

Another new player!
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG