The online racing simulator
I would like prewarming of tyres and start from last split. I really dont see why the hell we should drive this whole lap for the sakes of trying a hotlap. If You know how some people hotlap, it will be omg how frustrating. Sometimes I dont complete a lap for a whole hour, sometimes I dont complete the 1st sector for 15 mins, it would be silly to drive a whole lap before that lol. I dont really see the reason for chasing this reality when there are lot of other things to be made real. I'm also quite sure in real life we dont heat the tyres so bad that we can only do 1 fast lap or even half only. The way hotlapping was in S1 , was the best way, all even, no tyre temps, no stuff. Hotlapping is about the competition, we have real physics, it's as real as it gets, no need to make features that waste time. As I've picked up a sentence from Your post before Scawen, we need to draw a line between the fun of the sim and reality. Only the real hotlappers, who've spent millions of hours hotlapping will know what this would mean to hotlapping , so I back up biggie on this.
Well then an option, as suggested already some months ago by someone, where you can chose where to start from would do the trick.
For all the ppl that's complaining about the new start position, go and drive in the wrong way till you feel that you can get the desired speed at the finish line, It wont take you much more longuer than warming up tyres for the hotlap.
Just in case anyone is concerned about this and which way it will go, I am quite convinced that hotlappers should be able to set the start position and the tyre temperatures. It would stop this messing around doing donuts and whatever before doing the hotlap. This decision is based on the opinions of the actual hotlappers, those guys who really do a lot of this, they want it that way, so it's more convenient to do the hot lap. They want to spend more time lapping and less time warming up the tyres. This is different from reality, that's true, but then LFS differs from reality in many ways, for convenience. For example we just appear on the grid, we don't have to drive to the race track - you know what I mean. If you want reality then just go racing in reality! If you want a sim then you are avoiding many of the problems of reality, and cutting it down to the actual racing. That's the purpose of a racing sim. Get in and RACE. Similarly the purpose of hotlapping is to get in and LAP!
Quote from Scawen :If you want reality then just go racing in reality! If you want a sim then you are avoiding many of the problems of reality, and cutting it down to the actual racing. That's the purpose of a racing sim. Get in and RACE. Similarly the purpose of hotlapping is to get in and LAP!

Amen.

This should be stickied somewhere.
I do a fair amount of hotlapping and agree entirely. Would much rather spend more time lapping and less time warming tyres.
I never really thought warming tires was a big issue. I always considered having to burn off excess fuel before the hotlap was more bothersome. Now that you can put in 1% minimum, I think that is taken care of.
Quote from Scawen : If you want a sim then you are avoiding many of the problems of reality, and cutting it down to the actual racing. That's the purpose of a racing sim. Get in and RACE. Similarly the purpose of hotlapping is to get in and LAP!

I think that's it in a nutshell. With the ability to make things easier, more convenient, and more appealing, why not do it!
As I'm hotlapping 99% of the time within LFS I absolutely like the outlook!

Less time doing donuts and spins -> more time of actually hotlapping -> more fun
hourra ! god has spoken (and I agree )!
just had an idea:

why not be able to drive and warm the tires nicely as you like them, and then being able to save that tire temperature as a reloadable preset...

edit: like that it would be more 'realistic' than setting some unrealistic, even values all over the tire)

Nice Scawen
#138 - EG9
Nice ideas about the hotlaping stuff!

I have 2 things in my mind when I think about this HL Stuff:

1. Tires should not be warmed up by command or even saved or something. This would cause that you can create sets which normally not work out.

2. I would prefer that I can "jump" to the lap where the best lap time comes up(when I watch a HL). No forwarding or other stuff.

@Scawen
Of course is LFS not realistic in all way's but you should keep the idea of Sim Racing...otherwise I can play Need For Speed... :I
Please think about this in general. Maybe new race modes can combine both ideas, something like ARCADE and REALISTIC mode.

Thx anyway for this awesome game! It was worth every cence!
Quote from Scawen :Just in case anyone is concerned about this and which way it will go, I am quite convinced that hotlappers should be able to set the start position and the tyre temperatures. It would stop this messing around doing donuts and whatever before doing the hotlap.

setting your own tyre temperatures thats just making it to easy for hotlaps, to be honest i would not have much respect for hotlaps. but its a good idea for racing, doesn't that happen with tyre blankets so the tyres are ready for T1.
Quote from speedykev :setting your own tyre temperatures thats just making it to easy for hotlaps, to be honest i would not have much respect for hotlaps. but its a good idea for racing, doesn't that happen with tyre blankets so the tyres are ready for T1.

Why is a good idea for racing but not for hotlaping?
I do a lot of HL because I can`t connect online too often and it`s VERY anoying that everytime I want to beat my times I have to take the first lap as if I was some kind of mad drifter (peace)

It just makes it easy and less anoying to Hotlap, but IMHO it wouldn`t take away any of my respect for the WR holders just because they can heat their tyres... they still have to drive the HL you know

EDIT: BTW temperature heating should be quite limited IMHO (less than optimal)
Quote from zurdospeed :Why is a good idea for racing but not for hotlaping?
I do a lot of HL because I can`t connect online too often and it`s VERY anoying that everytime I want to beat my times I have to take the first lap as if I was some kind of mad drifter (peace)

It just makes it easy and less anoying to Hotlap, but IMHO it wouldn`t take away any of my respect for the WR holders just because they can heat their tyres... they still have to drive the HL you know

EDIT: BTW temperature heating should be quite limited IMHO (less than optimal)

well if you don't race online then i can see your point.
Quote from rediske :edit: like that it would be more 'realistic' than setting some unrealistic, even values all over the tire)

Even values are the way to go imo. Like adjustable tyre warmers.
If you could set the temps for every part of the tire, it would just be too complicated, unrealistic and it would just be another part of the setup.
Quote from tristancliffe :
...By the way, part of the skill is being able to control and heat your tyres prior to the hotlap, not just on the hotlap itself. If we started 1/4 mile from the start with perfect tyres I think it would lose a lot of it's mysticism...

I agree perfectly, Bravo.
Well, hotlapping isnt dragracing
Why don't we just have an option to start from the pitline or the last split and keep everyone happy.
Quote from rc10racer :Why don't we just have an option to start from the pitline or the last split and keep everyone happy.

for starters because most who want hotlaps starting from the pits dont even have any hotlaps on lfsw
to me this whole thing reads like the hardcore brigade tries to force changes in a game mode they dont even use
I know that i posted how i would want hotlaps to start from garage, but now that i think about it, it's just silly...
For qualifications it makes perfect sense to start from garage, you are playing online, with real people, but when i am offline, trying to do a hotlap for some league or something, i don't have time, etc.. why i would i waste it for that thing... there are some really long combos, you have to drive like 3 minutes, just to start your first hotlap, it doesn't make any sence.. really, just a waste of my limited free time, it's not a thing where we should seek for realism, i am a realsim freek, but hotlaping should stay like it is now..
I've never hotlapped in my life; well once and I thought 'why?' But I can see that starting from the pits is unnecessary. Qualifying yes, it's realistic but hotlapping is not realistic. I mean, a lap is voided if you as much as put a wheel wrong! Let hotlappers start from where the heck they like, it makes no difference to anyone but them. To my mind hotlapping is akin to drifting. It's a different game and there's a special breed that plays it.
Addendum: I've just spent a half an hour hot lapping and I CAN see the appeal. Starting on track is the way to go imo. After all, you're only doing it for the time. It's bad enough to have a lap invalidated by the merest touch of a tyrewall or grabbing a smidgen of grass :doh:. On that basis starting on track with tyres at optimum temperature makes sense.

/retracts nose from other peoples business.
Quote from Doorman :Addendum: I've just spent a half an hour hot lapping and I CAN see the appeal.

Very nice of you to try some actual hotlapping...

I tried it once myself with drifting for half an hour but I COULDN'T see the appeal AT ALL!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG