The online racing simulator
Adding own cars/tracks? Mods!
(35 posts, started )
Why its not possible to add own cars and tracks? Will it be possible to add cars and tracks? What you think about adding own tracks and cars like in rfactor?
First off because a lot of games suffer from horrendously poor quality mods, or vehicles with rediculous performance etc.

Secondly it wouldn't be compatable with LFS World at this time.

Thirdly, if you make a nice model ... send it to the devs anyway .
#3 - Jakg
because you'd get version mismatch, where the only server running mod x is using version 3.2x, when you have 3.3f, and the download site is down after an hour of googling

PS - has anyone here driven EVERY S2 car on EVERY S2 track? if so, do it first before asking for more stuff!
Quote from blackuster :Why its not possible to add own cars and tracks? Will it be possible to add cars and tracks? What you think about adding own tracks and cars like in rfactor?

No, no, no, and we hope it stays that way.
Quote from NONo443 :No, no, no, and we hope it stays that way.

Amen to that. Ive seen in rFactor how can splinter the peeps playing, also when the next new big comes out peeps just move on. I'd love to get some decent nippon races again.

I like how LFS is a static platform, and hope it stays that way. if you want mods, rFactor is for you. I own both, so best of both worlds.
I hope it stays mod free - that way you know you've got the 'right kit' to join any server...
It'd be nice to have a few more tracks, since that's a lot simpler to regulate, and doesn't cause the same sort of problems as addon cars. Although I'm certainly in no hurry, I'm still discovering the delights of the existing tracks, and I've been playing for 3 years. anybody who's bored of what we've got already, probably doen't have much of an attention span.
#9 - SamH
I thought I knew what my fave combo was. I've never got bored with it.. I could drive it for days on end.

Then last night I followed a bud into a server running a different car/track combo. One I'd never even thought of before.. and.. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! AGAIN!! I'm in love!! After 40K miles on LFS, it still holds miles and miles of undiscovered country. Please don't bugger it up with silly naff substandard mods YET! Let us have our fun first!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#10 - axus
#11 - SamH
You were there, ya plonker

Fern Bay Green.. reversed, with the XFR/UFR. I've barely driven the UFR before. I just never enjoyed it at all, no matter what the track I tried, I could always think of a different car that I thought would suit whichever track it was, better. As it happens, the LX6 on that track, reversed, is an absolute hoot as well.. but the UFR rocks! I love the climb back to the top, before the chicane and hairpin.. yay!
The following people should be allowed to create Mods:
Kegetys

Quote from NONo443 :No, no, no, and we hope it stays that way.

Yeah, it would really suck to be able to drive the Nurburgring Nordschleife in LFS one day! I would just hate it if that happened.
Quote from Jakg :because you'd get version mismatch, where the only server running mod x is using version 3.2x, when you have 3.3f, and the download site is down after an hour of googling

This isn't as big a deal as you would think. Battlefield 1942 had a Desert Combat mod that was amazing and not "officially" supported. Aircraft, vehicles, personnel, all custom. You always had to have the correct version of both 142 and the DC mod. It was a bit frustrating at times, but overall it made for great gaming. There were many other mods for 1942, but very few people used them because they sucked (and therefore didn't stay around long).

The players regulate the mods by simply avoiding the ones that suck and by diligently utilizing the ones that are well executed. Usually, the servers were up to date because they wouldn't get any players otherwise.

The authors of the best mods would typcially get a pre-release version of the base game's latest update so that the mod could be tested and updated as well.
Quote from Jakg :PS - has anyone here driven EVERY S2 car on EVERY S2 track? if so, do it first before asking for more stuff!

So I have to drive a little FWD hatchback before I can desire a RWD supercar? And I have to drive Fern Bay Club Reverse before I can lust after the 'Ring? Give me a break.
Quote from Jakg :[...]
PS - has anyone here driven EVERY S2 car on EVERY S2 track? if so, do it first before asking for more stuff!

Don't forget different lighting and wind strenghts. But I think you know what the public is like: The combo has to be easy to learn, reasonably safe (wide track, fast car) and most off all, perfect weather conditions. illepall
I'm worried what I'll find in the serverlist when I get back to public racing soon but I have a funny guess that it will be the same as a month ago.
Quote from Michael Denham :So I have to drive a little FWD hatchback before I can desire a RWD supercar? And I have to drive Fern Bay Club Reverse before I can lust after the 'Ring? Give me a break.

I desire a supercharged V8 RWD car, but you don't see me bitching about the devs making one!
Quote from blackuster :Why its not possible to add own cars and tracks? Will it be possible to add cars and tracks? What you think about adding own tracks and cars like in rfactor?

Once you've unlocked S2, you'll probably find that you wont need mod for quite a while

I'm in favor for mods, though i've not expierienced much of LFS as it is! so it wouldn't really bother me much :P
Quote from wheel4hummer :I desire a supercharged V8 RWD car, but you don't see me bitching about the devs making one!

When in my post did I say bitching to the devs about making one was a good idea? I thought this thread was about "Adding own cars/tracks". The argument was that we can only be interested in new cars/tracks if we've driven all of the current cars/tracks. I disagreed. I also disagree with the other suggestion that because some people will make bad cars/tracks, that there should be no community mods made at all.
#20 - JJ72
you obviously should investigate in some really old threads on this topic.
Quote from SamH :You were there, ya plonker

Fern Bay Green.. reversed, with the XFR/UFR. I've barely driven the UFR before. I just never enjoyed it at all, no matter what the track I tried, I could always think of a different car that I thought would suit whichever track it was, better. As it happens, the LX6 on that track, reversed, is an absolute hoot as well.. but the UFR rocks! I love the climb back to the top, before the chicane and hairpin.. yay!

So was I, but it was GOLD rev you plonker!

Personally I would like to see mods but not just any random doing it, I would like their to be a team of volentary people who can make mods get a certain amount of access to whatever is needed to mod the game. Then once/if they make one they ask the devs approval of it and if all is ok it's released.

That way we wouldn't have millions of differnt mods and having to try them all out seperatly.

I am pretty bored with LFS because of playing it so much and now feel the need for some extras, even Nordschleife would keep me happy for a while.
Quote from Bawbag :So was I, but it was GOLD rev you plonker!

Personally I would like to see mods but not just any random doing it, I would like their to be a team of volentary people who can make mods get a certain amount of access to whatever is needed to mod the game. Then once/if they make one they ask the devs approval of it and if all is ok it's released.

That way we wouldn't have millions of differnt mods and having to try them all out seperatly.

I am pretty bored with LFS because of playing it so much and now feel the need for some extras, even Nordschleife would keep me happy for a while.

I agree with that. I do think that anyone should be able to have a go at doing a new track/car, but perhaps there should be a process that the mod has to go through in order to be allowed for online play. For offline fun I think we should be able to use what we like. When I look back to all the fun I had in GPL, I know it wouldn't have been nearly the same without some of the fun tracks that wouldn't have been made if there was only a single team making tracks or if there were strict approval requirements they didn't meet.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I think just a track editor would be awsome. The cars I think we should leave up to the LFS Devs. I would love to make some fun tracks for myself to blat around on.

Always wanted to make a more hilly track, like the dip in Ashton (North / Histroic / Cadet). To me thats good fun to go down / up lol.
#24 - SamH
Quote from Bawbag :So was I, but it was GOLD rev you plonker!

Ooops! LOL! Well, at least I got the Fern Bay bit right
Quote from thisnameistaken :I didn't think you were talking about that combo, on account of how much I thought those cars and that track sucked. Plus with the whole "following a bud into a server" part it didn't sound like you were talking about your own server - which is where I found you last night!

I was following SteveD, cos I'd promised to give him some driving tips (stop laughing!! He's even worse than me.. he's irresistibly drawn to slow down on South City, approaching traffic lights, in case they change!!).
It was the OCC server.. Steve usually joins the CTR vs SSR server (because he's embarassed to race in public until he's faster than he is now)
Quote from thisnameistaken :TBH once I'd put R3s on the front of the UFR it felt a lot more sensible, so maybe it's still a good car. I used to like it pre-patch but ever since it's felt all skippy and oversteery and weird.

I loved driving it last night. I won one race and came second in another against some pretty good drivers (including you :razz, on Race_S. I never felt the need to look at how the tyres were doing. It was one of those occasions where it all just seemed to come together well. Challenging, but very drivable.

The particular track/car combo wasn't the point.. the point was it was a new discovery to me, and I'm an LFS whore
1st link in my sig holds the answer

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG