The online racing simulator
Tyre Question
(35 posts, started )
Tyre Question
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum although I have been driving LFS for about a year now.

I remember reading that LFS has about monitors about 40 levels/angles of the tyre circumference?
I noticed today while driving the F1 that the tyre has angled edges to the edge of the rubber and there looks to be about 40 or so.
The next thing i noticed while rolling the car backwards at very low speed is that the car "seemed" to bounce ever so slightly as the car moved backwards. I then got to wondering if the does the tyres 40 or so tiny angles actually transmit and rebound into the suspension.

I run my lfs in 1600x1200 so I can see quite a lot of fine detail

Cheers,
John Rees
#2 - Jakg
nope, their flatspots on the tyre!
The LFS tyre is considered (for wear, temp and dirt) over 16 radial segments, and across the tyre in 3 places. 3 * 16 is 48 = the magic number (actually, the magic number is 42, but that's not as easily divisible by 16).

As far as I know the angles of the tyres (or the polygons they are modelled out of) do not upset the cars rolling, but flat spots do exist (though not visually) and will make the car bump up and down a bit...
Each tyre has 48 sections (16 slices * inner/middle/outer) which do individually heat and wear. If you look at the tyre temperature/wear graph (F9) then you will see a scan of the topmost tyre section (not the one touching the road). This scan visualizes the heat (colors blue to red) and wear (thickness of the pads) of the current section, along with the tyre air temperature and current load (gray bars).
Your bumping up and down is, as already correctly pointed out, a severe flatspot on the tyre, making one or more of these sections worn down/thin.

E: beaten like a tyre after drifting
Thanks for the help guys.
I don't remember any flat spots via f9 as I was moving, the flat spots show up red but it but there could have been illepall

I thought it would be an interesting question anyway.

Thanks again

John
No, hot spots show up red (the colour is the temperature of that segment), and flat spots show up as thinner segments (the thickness represents the tyre wear).
It's sometimes hard to notice the difference in thickness, though. So, you can still have a minor flatspot and only see that the tire is merely hot on that spot.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Okay, I've now made the ultimate F9 explanation picture that will from now on be posted in every thread regarding this stuff

If you find anything terribly important to improve on it, please tell me and I'll add it (if I want)
Attached images
TyreExplanation.jpg
Quote from AndroidXP :Okay, I've now made the ultimate F9 explanation picture that will from now on be posted in every thread regarding this stuff

If you find anything terribly important to improve on it, please tell me and I'll add it (if I want)

Excellent work as usual mate. It was you that did the graphs for Grip Vs Pressure wasn't it?
Yes, indeed
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from AndroidXP :Okay, I've now made the ultimate F9 explanation picture that will from now on be posted in every thread regarding this stuff

Aren't the temperature and load readings constantly taken from the contact patch?

I'd always assumed that was the case, but your diagram leads me to think I may be wrong.
I always thought the info was from the contact patch also
of course with the trye o scanner in the wheel-arch ...maybe I have been wrong

SD.
You are right, the tyre load is ofcourse taken from the current contact patch. All others aren't.
Quote from sinbad :Aren't the temperature and load readings constantly taken from the contact patch?

I'd always assumed that was the case, but your diagram leads me to think I may be wrong.

The diagram is correct; the F9 display always shows the topmost element of the tyre. Scawen said that if he were to code it the other way around, to show the contact patch, he wouldn't be happy with it until he'd also added tyre deformation to the F9 display
-
(Chris_Kerry) DELETED by Chris_Kerry

this pic misses the sidewall circle in the 3d yellow wire.
other than that nice work to explain ppl.
Sidewall circle? You mean, where the tyre meets the rim? I didn't think it was that important, so I left it out. But maybe I'll add it and remove the inner lines instead.

This picture deserves to be stickied or put in a stickied thread. Very good simple explanation of how the tyre system works in LFS.

Good stuff XP
I allways wondered why the F9 view of the tyres never showed it as the contact point, If you don't understand get the mrt and go full throttle and then brake and skid for as long as u like with F9 view, then you will only see you creative heat spot once you set off.

When I 1st joined LFS I thought the tyre heat was just the same as granturismo, I think alot of other people do to when they join so basicly if your tyres are red your working them to hard or they are simply to soft. If you manage to keep them green/brown then they are fine. If they don't get anywhere near green then your not driving anywhere near the limit or your doing MRT oval.
#21 - ste_

Although I already knew this information, I have to say that that is a most excellent picture and annotation!
AXP: That indeed is very excellent, that should be in some official LFS manual whenever it's made. Nice work!

I seriously did not know that it wasn't taken from the contact patch, except for the load... Another long-time delusion out the window

I could have sworn that flatspotts visually indicated coincided with the "bump" in the car, but I must've been deluded about that too...

Edit: so then the sidewall is not divided into 16 sections as well?? Otherwise that would be 80 "pads"....
Hehe, yes, as soon as Scawen mentioned that the values were taken from the top, I had to test it. Lo and behold, it really was like "bump...flash...bump...flash..."
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Edit: so then the sidewall is not divided into 16 sections as well?? Otherwise that would be 80 "pads"....

I think you are correct, that the sidewall is a single entity on each side of the tire, so you effectively have 48 pads plus 2 sidewalls = 50 tire parts per tire.
Yes, I think the sidewall is just considered as one "ring" per side. Also, obviously, it doesn't wear. But if we consider the sidewalls as sections, we could also regard the "ring of air" as a seperate entity, making it 51 "sections" per tyre.

Well argh, anyway, we only have 48 sections that heat & wear, so this debate is kinda obsolete

Tyre Question
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG