The online racing simulator
RWDs to go with UFR and XFR
(100 posts, started )

Poll : Should RWD cars be added to the UFR & XFR class

Yes
Don't care
No
Considering the amount of bings that happen already on LFS's big wide circuits, imagine what could happen on a tight mountain road with bugger all passing room...
1. You're confusing. You're a "true motorsport nut" (unlike me evidently) and yet you seem to be promoting the idea of imitating the touge style initial d type of mountain racing, I thought we were talking about serious hill-climbing.

The touge type thing doesn't interest me. It's neither rallying, nor is it proper racing. If one hill-climb stage were added for proper hill-climbing, then of course it would get boring after a while (thankyou for deciding that my opinion is totally invalid though), on your own, all of the competition would be done on the hotlap charts. Imagine RBR with just one stage. That's why I think we would need an editor of some kind, or more stages than Eric has time to build.

2. I know what the XRGT looks like, so what? Would it really be worth making an AE86-alike model too?

3. Please stop labelling people hardcore this and hardcore that to give yourself someone to argue against. Who are these "hardcore circuit guys" that you feel the need to educate on the subject of mountain pass racing?
What I meant is closer to having multiple rally stages from RBR, e.g. monte carlo tarmac/snow stages. And don't worry, their complicated and variable nature makes sure you can never get bored (unless you train as religiously as MS ). Think 5 minute WRC stages with tens of unique corners based on RL roads, not your average 2 minute circuit lap.

BTW, this is and important upgrade for LFS if it is to widen it's customer base, but for now, it's more of an S3 level suggestion. I'm just saying that the possiblity of good rally stages should not be forgotten.

Guys, lets get back on topic and discuss some serious candidates for our RWD car.
The majority of cars in LFS would have little problem passing at Monte Carlo. It's pretty much only the REALLY fast stuff that struggles.
Quote from tristancliffe :The majority of cars in LFS would have little problem passing at Monte Carlo. It's pretty much only the REALLY fast stuff that struggles.

AKA F-1 cars.
Quote from Blowtus :only prob with giving the lx's slicks, is they then wouldn't be driven on road tyres

I drive (and would continue to drive) the lx cars in single player, and race them whenever possible online. I bought the game solely on it having a Lotus Seven type car !
If race versions of the cars would make them more popular online I'm all for it.
Good idea though, srdsprinter. Or we can just make an emulation of the AE86, race prep it properly so it's a pure tarmac circuit car. BTW, I like the LX cars too.
E30 M3 could do the job, too, I guess.
I think that the UFR XFR should be rivalled by an Austin Healy Sprite clone. Not any of this Japanese driving down hillclimbs the wrong way. Too-gay? Does that have anything to do with Dale Winton by any chance?
Dunno if i mentioned this here yet, but instead of seeing the UFR and XFR as GT2, see them as WTCC alike cars. There are FWD cars there (actually BMW is the only RWD there), they are fast, quite powerful (~275 bhp), etc. On some tracks BMWs win, on others FWDs do. lately it's those pescy SEATs :>
Can't believe there's still so much hostility to just driving DOWN a moutain. It's as if we live on flat planes with inclines only.

Some WRC stages go both up and down a mountain. So they MUST be driving the wrong way then. Gee, I didn't know that WRC drivers are TOO GAY...

Enough with this downhill is the wrong way crap. Unless of course you're from a 2-D universe.

I agree that the M3 is a great suggestion, so is the LX series and even the AE86. But seeing the fire I've copped jsut from SUGGESTING AE86 RWD candidate, good luck. Maybe there's simply too much stigma associated with the poor car that turned into a classic 20 or so years after its initial production. BTW, I voted FOR a RWD contender.
Quote from Jamexing :Can't believe there's still so much hostility to just driving DOWN a moutain. It's as if we live on flat planes with inclines only.

It's not that people would hate mountain tracks. It is jus the fact that those tracks have a start in the other and the finish line on the other end. You can't make more than one lap at time. And it would still require as much work from the devs as making a normal racing track.

Only way I see that it could be done is to make the mountain tracks created by some "track generator" so you could have unlimited number of those tracks. But would they be any good that way?

I want a mountain track, but it should be a race track, so you could do more than just one lap
All you need is a circuit that joins 2 sides of a mountain to for a giant complex loop. Problem solved.

Start lapping!
I doubt there'd be hostility if the devs wanted to release it - I think it's more the random, grandiose ideas that do not fit with the current style of game and are clearly not just 'improvement suggestions', but 'complete re-design of game world because this is how I'd like it' suggestions, that people get a little sick of.
Quote from Jamexing :All you need is a circuit that joins 2 sides of a mountain to for a giant complex loop. Problem solved.

Start lapping!

You don't need me to tell you that that suggestion is a lot different from a single hill-climb (or hill descent) stage. A circuit in a mountainous environment is something I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'd want it to be wide enough to race on all the way round.
Actually, LFS doesn't need a complete redesign at all. Just a new track with very variable elevations and corner types that one could realistically expect from a twisty mountain path.

The idea of a mountain pass is far from random. It's a break of monotony from the standard fare of dedicated circuits and street tracks with relatively much simpler and more boring corners. Welcome to RW WRC style conditions with complicated and twisty corner sequences and no run off areas.

For ideas, we just need to refer to a few RL roads for design inspiration. No need to worry about licensing issues of name brand tracks.

Now, any more good ideas for our RWD car on our wish list? Keep them rolling in.
About that up and down track... BATHURST!!

About AE86... The XR GT is quite close to it. I know drifters would love it because of Initial D. But it's a real car, licencing problems. And it's not THAT great. I mean, it has a live rear axle. it's just an image. I'm not going out on drifters, heck, i used to be a full time drifter, now i still (rarely) do it.
Honestly, I don't mind a slicked XR GTT with 300hp. Definitely better than those torque steering FWD monsters.

I'm fully aware that the AE86 is live axled IRL. However, if we use its appearance only and add our own suspensions, we'll have our own car that handles even better without copyright issues while still attracting new customers. IRL, there are quite a few race prepped AE86's with IRS (independant rear suspension ) conversions.

Anyway, I like the XR and LX ideas as well. It's just that we'll be filled with cars based on the same basic chassis throughout all racing classes, which gets old eventually. A new suitable car certainly won't hurt.
The XR GT IMO is good enough. You'd probably be surprised by the lack of performance. I mean an Apexi tuned version is putting out 150 bhp. At times the GTT feels slow. And it has a hundred more. Don't blindly believe animes. They are cartoons after all.
Well, let's just say I've seen lots of crazy engine conversions IRL. Rotary powered Subarus, Rotary MX-5s, Even V8 MX-5s.

Functionally, I don't mind a souped up XR GTT at all. It's just the fact that we ALREADY have 2 XR based cars (XR GTT and XRT). Why would anyone bother with a non-downforce ,slick tired XR GTT anyway when you could jump straight into the downforce car? Besides, seeing 3 of the same really gets lame.

Theoretically, a race-prepped 300hp XR GTT would work from a performance point of view. The 490hp version lags like hell as it should, since it requires a hairdryer sized turbo to work anyway. The "road" version lags WAY too much for its power output. Let's hope the turbo for this car works as it realistically should.

Anyway, due to ongoing turbo modelling issues, I suggest we stick to an NA car and avoid the issue altogether.

So, if no new car types are to be allowed, A race-prepped LX series car is the best choice.
I know this thread has long since died, but I thought I'd attach these anyway. I'd like to see a nice RWD non-GT car, and I'd be happy with a fourth variation of the XR.
Attached images
xr_race.jpg
xr_race2.jpg
Quote from sharkboots :I know this thread has long since died, but I thought I'd attach these anyway. I'd like to see a nice RWD non-GT car, and I'd be happy with a fourth variation of the XR.

The XR GT is basically a direct copy of a low end Mitsubishi Starion anyway.
Aye. I've just tried racing the XR Turbo on R1s (using slickmod) against UF GT and XF GT. It's slower than the FWD GTs, but not by TOO much. A mildly uprated version (bit lighter, bit more power) that could run legitimatly on slicks would be prtty cool.
and also add a RWD Car with UF1(Smart?)
A small roadster in race trim would work well. The MX-5 Cup Miata is about the right HP and weight, might need a slightly hotter engine but Cosworth is building MZR 2.0L and MZR 2.3L engines in the 200bhp - 300bhp range.

A car at about 1000kg with a 240bhp engine would be in the right range. A little faster on the straights, a little slower in the corners, and needs a different driving style.

RWDs to go with UFR and XFR
(100 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG