The online racing simulator
Proposed Safety Car
(21 posts, started )
Proposed Safety Car
I read a few thereads back tht ppl sayin how ppl shud react when some has crashed i.e stay still till every1 has passed.So Why dont servers dedicate one racer as a safety car then theyll be less hassle wen a crash has happend n complaining of positions. guys wt u think
Quote from Nck 1991 : I read a few thereads back tht ppl sayin how ppl shud react when some has crashed i.e stay still till every1 has passed.So Why dont servers dedicate one racer as a safety car then theyll be less hassle wen a crash has happend n complaining of positions. guys wt u think

did you notice this section....?

http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Quote from DEVIL 007 :did you notice this section....?

http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I think he means people driving a safety car?

Anywho... doesn't solve the problem... By the time the safety car is deployed everyone would've passed the wreck. The discussion was about what to do when you wreck (either shift-s, or keep on wrecking and not move until the track is clear).

For a lot of other situations a safetycar is effective though. So once this is in "improvement suggestions" I'll +1 it anyway.
For leage races, a safety car would be nice. Like if you are driving a 20 lap race, 1 caution lap isnt going to be that much. However, just firing up LFS and going to a 5 lap race, you shouldnt need a safety car.
there isn't really a probelm after the field has passed the wreckage, it's only really and issue immediately after the accident has happened, when the drivers involved are still recovering. it's damn frustrating trying to make you're way around a crashed car only to have the it move into your path and take you out aswell
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Safety cars are a waste of time unless we have virtual marshals running out onto the track and clearing the wreckage up. Before you meet the safety car you'll have passed through the wreckage. In LFS when someone crashes it's the split second reactions of following drivers which causes the bigger accident. Not a lap latter.
#7 - Dumpy
Quote from Nck 1991 : I read a few thereads back tht ppl sayin how ppl shud react when some has crashed i.e stay still till every1 has passed.So Why dont servers dedicate one racer as a safety car then theyll be less hassle wen a crash has happend n complaining of positions. guys wt u think

I'll take this seriously once LFS has a Nissan Skyline.
If the safety car sounds like the AMG Mercedes used in F1, then I'm all for it! That's often my favourite part of an F1 race, hearing that thing thunder by.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Such as? Any accident can be cleared in seconds in LFS.

CAN be cleared yes.... But since we want realism, the option of using a safety car for big turn 1 wrecks should be open. If I were to start a league, one of its rules would be:
7.81b - When you were in an accident, you are not allowed to reset the car, or enter the pits using shift-s or the menu option. You may try to drive back to the pits at low speed. If this is not possible, wait in the car until an admin tells you to spectate.

Besides, it's a lot better to have close racing when the drivers that did not make it through T1 without problems have a chance to catch up (or know they might get a chance to catch up).

What about rolling starts? Have a safety car in front of the pack, and let it enter the pits after 1 lap.
I fukn h8 2 c thereads writtn liek this.
I think the easiest solution is to have on driver driving a Safety SnowPlow that can remove all nonmoving vehicles after a crash
Maybe an AI could be the safety car so the server wouldn't need a person who can't race. That way the speed, the lines, everything would be exactly how they should and there wouldn't be people messing around with the role.
But what's the point? In real life cars take time to clear. In LFS we drive away or pit/spectate ... There is nothing dangerous going to be on the track the lap after the accident ...
Quote from Nck 1991 :So Why dont servers dedicate one racer as a safety car then theyll be less hassle wen a crash has happend n complaining of positions. guys wt u think

We've tried it before. It doesn't work on public servers. It can and has worked in leagues though.
A safety car will be a necessary option when we get debris and cars that dont shift-s the moment they go sideways for fear of being shouted at for not shift-s'ing.

As one we may never get (debris) and the other we will never get (drivers not shouting at each other) it is unlikely we will ever have a safety car in LFS public races.

You will see them in some leagues though, the STCC has one, and I believe the endurance league does too - and possibly a few others.
Quote from Becky Rose :
You will see them in some leagues though, the STCC has one, and I believe the endurance league does too - and possibly a few others.

Yup, that's the only reason to have a safety car... Leagues.

And I think eventually we will have debris.
Maybe even debris isn't good enough reason for a safety car. In real life racing it's the debris or a car in dangerous place on track. Which in LFS would mean that the car would stall after the accident, resulting in possible dangerous situations.

Maybe for leagues, but I see no use for it otherwise
I have tried that. My old "clan" DPRT tried that out a couple of times. We never get to try it out in races or so.

I know that the organizer of "Traffic LeMans" Frags, discussed the idea of having a Rb4 or simular car, as a rescue car. If people got stuck in the sand, that car could go and push them out of the sand.
A good idea when racing 6 - 12 or 24 hours, and you get stuck !!
Quote :I know that the organizer of "Traffic LeMans" Frags, discussed the idea of having a Rb4 or simular car, as a rescue car. If people got stuck in the sand, that car could go and push them out of the sand.

I can see it now, the rescue car leaves the pits and makes a beeline for the first corner where somebody is stuck in the gravel. The pack form up behind the rescue car, it pulls off to the sand trap ... and the field follows, "Dammit I thought they said it was a safety car".
The LFSNGP leage has got a safety car, and it worked well in trial races, We spent a half-hour practice fine-tuning it.

DK
Quote from Becky Rose :I can see it now, the rescue car leaves the pits and makes a beeline for the first corner where somebody is stuck in the gravel. The pack form up behind the rescue car, it pulls off to the sand trap ... and the field follows, "Dammit I thought they said it was a safety car".

Nopes !

The idea was only to rescue a burried car. Not to have a safety car - More a rescue car.

Ofcourse the rescue car had to be very very carefull, going to the place where the car was "stranded". I think this was a great idea, thinking about many of the cars having trouble getting out of the sand in many places.

EDIT :

And for the safetycar i mentioned. I recall the server admin announced the safetycar, comming on track for a test. There was some announcement and the it was there. We were only two drivers on the track, and my teammate instantly started go fo forth and back in his fox. Damned it looked great, and funny at the same time. I had troubles trying to adjust to the speed, because I laughed, because he was "heating his tyres" and the IRL feel of it. It was very realistic I can tell you, hence I have never even been close to a racetrack.

I can only tell you people to try it out some times. You will discover how hard it is to follow such a thing - Especially if you are heating tyres at the same time - But it was great fun, and a memorable experience.

Proposed Safety Car
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG