The online racing simulator
FRAPS - 32bit recording issue
(17 posts, started )

Poll : FRAP and LFS running in 32bit mode pain for your recorded movies?

I can record smoothly at 32bit mode in LFS
I can`t record smoothly in 32bit mode no matter the resolution or graphical settings.
Hi all,
I made this thread for finding out how many users when recording movies using FRAPS have problems record them in 32bit mode when 16bit mode work for them correctly/smoothly without huge FRAPS FPS perfomance lost.

I have noticed that some users get huge FPS hit when recording in 32bit mode.Its actually round 9FPS even the specific machine is enough powerfull to record at 1024*768@30fps or at half size of 1280*960 when someone else with similar PC spec can smoothly record in 32bit mode.

I will use this thread for further communication with FRAPS team reporting possible FRAPS bug between LFS and FRAPS.

Poll is simple:

1) I can record smoothly at 32bit mode in LFS
2) I can`t record smoothly only in 32bit mode in LFS no matter resolution or amount of graphical details.

If you have issue in 32bit mode please post as well you PC spec and what resolution you are running + FRAPS FPS setting you have set.

Quote :
the format should be like:
Processor:
Motherboard:
Memory:
Graphic card:
Operating system:

LFS:
resolution

FRAPS:
half or full resolution:
number of frames per second:

Many thanks to all for your help and time

Disclaimar:I am not connected anyhow with FRAPS team I am just trying to collect info for reporting.
#2 - Lible
Well, works allright for me. Maybe around 5 fps loss.
#3 - JeffR

Processor: P4EE 3.73GHZ Prescot 775 pin LGA, 2MB L2 cache
hyperthreading enabled
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX motherboard
Memory: Kingston 2GB 4-4-4-12 667mhz ddr2 ram.
Graphic card: ATI X1900XTX PCIExpress 512mb ram
Operating system: WIndows XP SP2
LFS: resolution 1280x960x32x60hz (AF set to 16x)
FRAPS: half resolution (640x480), set to capture 30fps
frames per second: ~92fps when fraps is off, 30fps during capture
sound card: Soundblaster X-Fi Plantinum
hard drives: Hitachi T7K250 250GB SATA and IDE hard drives.

Since I do some video editing, I have 4 SATA hard drives, paired up into stripe 0 volumes. Since the Intel 975 motherboard has two SATA controllers (up to 4 drives each), I have one pair on the Intel ICH7R controller and the other pair on the Silicon Image controller. There's a 5th IDE drive, which is used for boot and the temp directory. OS and software on one pair of SATA drives, swap file and capture on the other pair. All drives are Hitachi T7K250 250GB hard drives with minimum transfer rate over 30mega-bytes / second. With the striping, I'm averaging about 50mega-bytes / second (striping speeds up streaming rate by about 25% to 50%).

Still this pales in comparason to the new Seagate Cheetah 300GB 320 Scsi / Fibre Channel hard drives, which have a minimum transfer rate of 89 mega-bytes per second. But one or two of these drives and a host bus adapter cost more than my entire system.

Sample video (note - engine sound was turned down):

lfsblf1.wmv
Well it is same in 16 and 32 bit mode...always huge fps drop..from 60 to usually 15-10 in both,,,crap :/

well must be my old pc A2000 512 mb x700 pro
#5 - Bean0
No problems here.

Processor: AMD64 3500+
Motherboard: Asus A8NE
Memory: 1GB DDR400
Graphic card: ATI X800 Bravo AIW
Operating system: XP SP2

LFS:
resolution: 800x600, fps capped at 25. Full AA and AF.

FRAPS:
half or full resolution: Full
number of frames per second: 25fps

Sample

Sound level has been lowered in sample as fraps tends to record too loud.
Also, I have Fraps set to save to a different physical drive to the OS and LFS...I'm sure I have read somewhere that this is an important point, with the drives rpm also being a factor.
Fraps is so hard on the system because it takes a large number of .bmp screenshots, then crams them into a .avi, throw in the addition of audio and it can become quite the party.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty SLi-DR
Memory: 1GB (2x 512MB) G.Skill DDR400 2-2-2-5 [I forget the model]
Graphic card: ATi Radeon X1900XT-X 512MB
Operating system: WIndows XP SP2
LFS: resolution 1024x768 AA/AF Max
FRAPS: Full Resloution (resized when editing/applying codec)
frames per second: 75fps [vsync'ed] fraps is off, ~Half that running.
sound card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
hard drives: Maxtor MaxLine III 300GB, Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB

And as I'm lazy, here are two examples from random games:

Link 1
Link 2

Both resized by Windows Movie Maker to stupid small
-
(JeffR) DELETED by JeffR : updated other post
Quote :Fraps is so hard on the system because it takes a large number of .bmp screenshots, then crams them into a .avi, throw in the addition of audio and it can become quite the party.

I think it's just LFS, because it depends on the CPU perhaps more than other games (which rely on the GPU). Every time I try to Fraps anything in LFS even in 800x600x16 with no AA or AF the FPS drops waaay too low, but RBR, Quake4 etc etc are entirely playable and barely noticeable.

Quote :
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard: Abit KN8 nForce4
Memory: 1 GB Dual-DDR 400 MHz
Graphic card: PCI-E 16x 256 MB DDR2 ATi X800GTO
Operating system: Win XP Pro w/ SP2 32-bit

LFS:
resolution: 1024x768x16

FRAPS:
half or full resolution: both..
number of frames per second: 15-ish

Had this problem for a long time, can easily get 50fps recordings in 16bit and 32 bit with every other game I own. LFS drops to 9fps no matter the graphic settings in 32bit.

Sent a support email a while back and was told to contact the fraps people and my PC supplier.

Processor: AMD X2 4400
Motherboard: nForce 4
Memory: 1GB
Graphic card: 7800 GTX
Operating system: Win XP Home SP2

LFS:
resolution - 1440 x 900 - 800 x 600 with fraps

FRAPS:
half or full resolution: full at 800 x 600
number of frames per second: 16 bit = 50 32 = 9
No problems here, the difference between 16bit and 32bit mode seems to be roughly 3-5.

Specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ (clocked to 2200Mhz)
Motherboard: Asrock 939S56-M Micro ATX
Memory: 1GB of RAM
Graphic card: ATI Sapphire X800GTO² (standard clock speeds)
Operating system: Win XP Professional SP2

LFS:
Resolution - 1600 x 1200
All setting maxed out
FPS = 80-95

FRAPS:
Full-size
FPS: 16 bit = 34-36fps, 32 bit = 29-32fps

Do you have the latest version of fraps? I have version 2.7.2, which should be the most recent version, else I would've received an e-mail. Anyway, in the last couple of updates they've greatly improved performance.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :I think it's just LFS, because it depends on the CPU perhaps more than other games (which rely on the GPU). Every time I try to Fraps anything in LFS even in 800x600x16 with no AA or AF the FPS drops waaay too low, but RBR, Quake4 etc etc are entirely playable and barely noticeable.

Hi,
thats really strange because my system is almost the same and I can record smothly = constant 30FPS without lost frames at 800*600 and 8xAA+16AF.I can even get at 1280*960 and half site video around 45-50FPS.
I ahev A643200+,1GB DDR400,NVIDIA 7900GT.I know my card is way better but I have tested this with GF6600 with 4xAA+8AF and get the same performance.However when I set 32bit mode then my FRAP recording is impossible with same setting.Its stuck around 9-10FPS.Seems same symptoms as Ryane above.
Quote from Jertje :

Do you have the latest version of fraps? I have version 2.7.2, which should be the most recent version, else I would've received an e-mail. Anyway, in the last couple of updates they've greatly improved performance.

Yes,tested with latest version.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :I think it's just LFS, because it depends on the CPU perhaps more than other games (which rely on the GPU). Every time I try to Fraps anything in LFS even in 800x600x16 with no AA or AF the FPS drops waaay too low, but RBR, Quake4 etc etc are entirely playable and barely noticeable.

I don't get the problem in LFS as bad as some. I get the expected FPS drop recording creates, but it only drops to what ever it is I set it in fraps (which from memory is usally 30, and never dips). It's not even like my system is the best setup in the world. :/
thought i was the only one, i used to be able to record with fraps at 32 bit just fine, but then all of a sudden overnight my fps hit to around 10 when i tried it, forcing me to use 16 bit (green smoke! )

system specs:

Intel P4 3.46 ghz
1 gig ram
Nvidia geforce 6800 GT
#14 - SamH
I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. It's exclusive to LFS, and I can record at silly FPS in other things like UT and Battlefield2.

I'll try Quint's recommendation and see if that works. It would be silly not to try a solution that's been posted

[edit] Any other bright ideas? LOL! Hey, it was worth a try!
Quote from Vendetta :forcing me to use 16 bit (green smoke! )

Try turning enable dither on if it's not already, that may cure the green smoke. I just tried that today and it worked for me...
mine is also choppy when recording in 32bit color mode (around 22 fps). it used to work fine. 16bit mode works perfectly though. maybe i will try the cleaning registry thing like someone mentioned.
I'm using Fraps Version 2.8.2 and it's smooth to a point and I'm using a NVidia GE Force 7300LE PCI Expressx16 dedicated memory 128MB
Total memory 256MB
Pentium 4 Processer @ 3.06GHz
512MB of RAM DDR2

Overall Its good but play back after editing it's poor. I'm not sure what my LFS options are and I'm to lazy to open it.

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG