The online racing simulator
#1 - Bosse
New computer - Getting some graphics bug in LFS
Hi there,

It's not meant to be Bosse and graphics cards. My first really good gfx just died without a warning, the my new one after that should be better didn't work half as good in LFS and now this.

Well, you see whats wrong on the pictures, otherwise you are having some problems too :P

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1112/lfs1pw2.jpg

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/2373/lfs2vp3.jpg

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/326/lfs3my2.jpg

Edit: Oh, forgot to say. If it isn't shown by the screenshots, It's just like that where I am at the moment. In TV view (or whatver its called, the one that switch cameras auto, I think I saw a little bug there somewhere but I didn't find the spot again.

The computer: AMD 4200+ X2, 2 gb DDR2, X1900XT

I've tried with three different drivers (new catalysts, old catalysts (they didn't want to install though..) and now Omega drivers latest.

Maybe it's a setting ingame?

Hope someone knows, I'm getting really tired of that there's always something that wont work from the start.

Sorry for my bad english but I think you'll understand.

Bosse
its nothing ingame

is it overclocked or hot?
#3 - Bosse
Quote from XCNuse :its nothing ingame

is it overclocked or hot?

Okay.

No OC and not hot. Just got it, havn't changed anything on it. (Got the computer yesterday (or well, the parts to it..) and got all working for like 2 hours ago).

Edit: Omg! I checked the temperature again and it's over 70?! Isn't that really much for a idle temp? Or is it me, not knowing anything about anything? I mean, my old X800GTO was like, 35-40 with stock cooling..

Anyone know that program that I can change the fan speed in? I know I had some to my old. You know, temp controlled fan on the gfx..
Radeon series 1900 are well known to BE HOT! XTs can heat up to 85°C easily. There is a program named ATiTool(http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ATITool_0.24.exe) that can measure temp. Also make sure that you have plugged ext. power cable to your Radeon and let us know about PSU you have(amps on 12V rails, wattage, ATX revision)
have you updated the system drivers for your motherboard?

you might want to try that.
BTW, there seemes to be some issue with your new PC. I glanced on your framerate and those numbers are lower than I expected. Maybe it is because of those artefacts, but when my GF7900GT broke down(also artefacted like a hell) I had normal fps.

Just look after your system and do some sythetic benchmarks aka 3DMark.
#7 - Bosse
Quote from MadCatX :Radeon series 1900 are well known to BE HOT! XTs can heat up to 85°C easily. There is a program named ATiTool(http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/ATITool_0.24.exe) that can measure temp. Also make sure that you have plugged ext. power cable to your Radeon and let us know about PSU you have(amps on 12V rails, wattage, ATX revision)

Maybe, havn't read about it that much. All I found out is that the stock cooling should be really good.. And well, maybe it is but the cards is still very hot.

Thats the program I saw the temp in, have it down to the right at the clock now so I can check it easy..

Well, when you say ext power cable, you mean a cable like the ones that provide IDE HDD´s and CD/DVD´s with power right? Then it's connected. Otherwise it wouldn't work at all I think.

The PSU I've bought is a Tagan Easycon TG480-U15 480W.
Here is a link to a datasheet / pdf: http://www.tagan.com/pages/pro ... 580-U15_Tagan_UK_mini.pdf
(Can't watch it myself but I hope it's useful for you because i don't know what you meant by amps on 12v rails)

Quote from glyphon :have you updated the system drivers for your motherboard?

you might want to try that.

Will look for the drivers in a sec.

Quote from MadCatX :BTW, there seemes to be some issue with your new PC. I glanced on your framerate and those numbers are lower than I expected. Maybe it is because of those artefacts, but when my GF7900GT broke down(also artefacted like a hell) I had normal fps.

Just look after your system and do some sythetic benchmarks aka 3DMark.

Well, when I took the screenshots I had full gfx settings so. Gonna try with performance and see what i get for fps.
Gonna try 3DMark after I updated the motherboard drivers.
Hi,

the tempreture seems pretty normal for X1900XT.They can hit up to 95degree sometimes but its not relly problem for this chip.Even my passive cooled spare GF6600 overclocked can hit 85degree and no artifacts or other issues at all.Nowdays the bad point for most graphic card is heating around 110-125degre.

This seems more a a driver issue or your memory on graphic card is broken.I assume from the pcitures you posted above as it has similar pattern for these 2 options I mentioned.

When the GPU is broken that usually get colour artifact or similar things and not stretched textures.

Try different drivers.
When I said "external power cable" I meant external GRAPHIC power cable. (sorry, my bad, I wasnt clear enough) It is 6-pin cable that is connects GFX card directly to PSU. Your Tagan is OK and it is equipped with 6-pin cables...

EDIT: I must agree with DEVIL that those graphic errors are not artifacts to all intents and purposes.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi,

the tempreture seems pretty normal for X1900XT.They can hit up to 95degree sometimes but its not relly problem for this chip.Even my passive cooled spare GF6600 overclocked can hit 85degree and no artifacts or other issues at all.Nowdays the bad point for most graphic card is heating around 110-125degre.

This seems more a a driver issue or your memory on graphic card is broken.I assume from the pcitures you posted above as it has similar pattern for these 2 options I mentioned.

When the GPU is broken that usually get colour artifact or similar things and not stretched textures.

Try different drivers.

Okay, I thought so too now after but anyway, 70 was a bit of a chock to me here :P

You always learn something new..

Have tried different drivers, in the first post there is which ones.

Quote from MadCatX :When I said "external power cable" I meant external GRAPHIC power cable. (sorry, my bad, I wasnt clear enough) It is 6-pin cable that is connects GFX card directly to PSU. Your Tagan is OK and it is equipped with 6-pin cables...

Okay, no problem! Is that a small blue one and should be on the side of the gfx? Then I will fix that now. I thought that that cable would be somewhere too (havnt had a PCI-e card before so.. quite hard to know when they don't write it in the manuals either!)

Edit: Btw, took some new screenshots with everything on performance but a question, my hz is 85 and the fps wont go over it. Isn't it just in windowed you get like 120+ fps?

http://img321.imageshack.us/im ... fs2006080121580395ty5.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/im ... fs2006080121582214um2.jpg

http://img321.imageshack.us/im ... fs2006080121582342kq0.jpg

http://img321.imageshack.us/im ... fs2006080121582462iu7.jpg
Quote from Bosse :
Okay, no problem! Is that a small blue one and should be on the side of the gfx? Then I will fix that now. I thought that that cable would be somewhere too (havnt had a PCI-e card before so.. quite hard to know when they don't write it in the manuals either!)

Yes, thats the one. AFAIK the R1900s have two diodes on PCB and one of them is lit when that cable is not plugged it....
check in game, and in the ATI config that you don't have v-sync enabled.

V-sync limits your FPS to whatever your monitors refresh rate it.

and you can have it full screen. I have a lcd, and its refresh rate is 60hz, and without v-sync turned on, i regularly break 100fps...highest i've noticed was around 160.
Quote from MadCatX :Yes, thats the one. AFAIK the R1900s have two diodes on PCB and one of them is lit when that cable is not plugged it....

Hmm, now I don't think that we are talking about the same here. It doesn't say anything about it in the manuals or.. hmm. wait here, maybe i have a adapter for this that we are talking about? Should there be one or two cables for me to plug in? Now I have one, but when I think back and look, I think I have a adapter that changes it to one like the ones you connect to DVD/IDE HD´s?

Quote from glyphon :check in game, and in the ATI config that you don't have v-sync enabled.

V-sync limits your FPS to whatever your monitors refresh rate it.

and you can have it full screen. I have a lcd, and its refresh rate is 60hz, and without v-sync turned on, i regularly break 100fps...highest i've noticed was around 160.

On the last screenshots I had all on performance = no vsync, no aa/af and so on. Still, 85. Edit: Hmm, maybe i missed to look ingame for Vsync. I thought that there isn't aa/af so there isn't Vsync either. Gonna try now..
Edit again: Nope, changed to no Vsync ingame but no, the fps went down with 5 instead.
Quote from Bosse :On the last screenshots I had all on performance = no vsync, no aa/af and so on. Still, 85. Edit: Hmm, maybe i missed to look ingame for Vsync. I thought that there isn't aa/af so there isn't Vsync either. Gonna try now..

there's no ingame aa/af, but there is ingame vsync. Thinking back, make sure you have Adaptive AA disabled. when i have that enabled on my x1600xt, it limits my frame rate to around 60 or 65, and when its disabled, the frame rate can go much higher. (it almost seems like adaptive aa forces v-sync on).

another thing to check in the ati config.
To prevent any further misunderstandings I have attached a picture. There is that adaptor you are talking about. It is used when there is no special cable and you have to use molexes. As I read documentation for your PSU Im sure that your PSU has a cable that makes these adaptor useless, because you can use special cable that has 6-pin connector on both sides.(thats how I have it on my Enermax PSU).
Attached images
detail_1.jpg
Quote from glyphon :there's no ingame aa/af, but there is ingame vsync. Thinking back, make sure you have Adaptive AA disabled. when i have that enabled on my x1600xt, it limits my frame rate to around 60 or 65, and when its disabled, the frame rate can go much higher. (it almost seems like adaptive aa forces v-sync on).

another thing to check in the ati config.

Okay, will check.

Quote from MadCatX :To prevent any further misunderstandings I have attached a picture. There is that adaptor you are talking about. It is used when there is no special cable and you have to use molexes. As I read documentation for your PSU Im sure that your PSU has a cable that makes these adaptor useless, because you can use special cable that has 6-pin connector on both sides.(thats how I have it on my Enermax PSU).

hehe nice!

Yeah, It's like that (cant look really, there is like 3-4 cm Edit: More like, 1-1.5 cm. between the gfx and the harddrive..) but mine doesnt go out in two.

That you say about 6-pin, like this?
?
Then it's the blue one I had in my hand after i connected all and thought, "where should this be? nah.." :P

But there is no need to change then right? If it makes the same.
ooo
ooo

Yeah, thats it.... if you have GFX connected via that adaptor, you might try to use that special cable. It might help because of some voltage and amps losses it adaptor and other cabling. When connected directy to PSU(damn, im starting to repeat myself...), it might be better powered.
Quote from MadCatX :ooo
ooo

Yeah, thats it.... if you have GFX connected via that adaptor, you might try to use that special cable. It might help because of some voltage and amps losses it adaptor and other cabling. When connected directy to PSU(damn, im starting to repeat myself...), it might be better powered.

Yep, switched from the adapter to the cable and no difference in LFS..
So we know where the problem isnt. Could you tell us your whole PC specs, MoBo, RAM timings etc... might be useful.

Also try some other D3D/OpenGL apps and check if they produce similar errors or if it is just LFS issue. If you can, borrow some other PCI-E card or test yours in some another PC - most probable it is OK, but you cannot be sure until you test it.
Also check your RAM(http://www.memtest.org/), again, it is most likely OK, but little check will not hurt...

I am afraid I cant suggest you anything more at the moment. Maybe I will figure out something later... good luck!
:banghead: :banghead: edit:wrong forum

Try just to underlock the memory to 1.2Ghz.It will be worth to try it.
Did you connected the Graphic card directly with PSU.That PSU you have should come with special cable which you can insert into special connector on your PSU and graphic card.
It doesnt look like molex power cable(used for connecting HDD,DVD and other staff)
If i were you, i'd do a format first. If that doesn't help, look further. Or maybe at first just 'reinstall' LFS. Then format, etc. If that doesn't help, it surely has to be a hardware issue.
Quote from MadCatX :So we know where the problem isnt. Could you tell us your whole PC specs, MoBo, RAM timings etc... might be useful.

Also try some other D3D/OpenGL apps and check if they produce similar errors or if it is just LFS issue. If you can, borrow some other PCI-E card or test yours in some another PC - most probable it is OK, but you cannot be sure until you test it.
Also check your RAM(http://www.memtest.org/), again, it is most likely OK, but little check will not hurt...

I am afraid I cant suggest you anything more at the moment. Maybe I will figure out something later... good luck!

Well, I don't know much about computers in that way. No, as it may seem I'm not a n00b that doesn't know anything. I'm going my last year on a IT school so..

But RAM timings and that things I have no idea.
I can give the link to my shopping order (have no idea if thats the right words there) but it's on swedish but you should get it anyway. The products is in english..

http://www.komplett.se/k/shopl ... 2A-413A-BDF0-70CD82ABDFD0

If you want to come to the homepage of the one thats making them (couldn't find a word for that), just click on the thing you want to look on, then click on "Producentlänkar", there it says "tillverkare" which means the one who's making the thing and then click on, for example, AMD.
Or you just google and find the homepage..

Gonna try that Memtest thing later too.

Quote from Primoz :If i were you, i'd do a format first. If that doesn't help, look further. Or maybe at first just 'reinstall' LFS. Then format, etc. If that doesn't help, it surely has to be a hardware issue.

I'm going to reinstall LFS now..

To all: Thanks for the help even if it hasn't worked out yet. Fun that people do (try to) help!
Well where would we be if we wouldn't help? illepall
It might be a bit surprising for you, but your nF 550 chipset can be a problem. I read about GF7900 + nF 550 issue few days ago. So surely check some other GFX in your MoBo. If you can borrow some quite powerful(at least GF6800GT), it would be great.

Memory timing shouldnt be a problem if you have selected SPD controlled timing in BIOS.

(BTW, your PC set is very well chosen.. I can see that you have "some" PC skills)
Quote from Primoz :Well where would we be if we wouldn't help? illepall

Haha yeah, of course but no.. Seems like some is just here to spam :P

Quote from MadCatX :It might be a bit surprising for you, but your nF 550 chipset can be a problem. I read about GF7900 + nF 550 issue few days ago. So surely check some other GFX in your MoBo. If you can borrow some quite powerful(at least GF6800GT), it would be great.

Memory timing shouldnt be a problem if you have selected SPD controlled timing in BIOS.

(BTW, your PC set is very well chosen.. I can see that you have "some" PC skills)

Hmm, okay. Will see if theres anyone that i can borrow a card from.

Gonna check BIOS for that SPD controlled timing.

(Well yeah, I thought it looked good and it was actually a very good price. Some luck though, the gfx card is now going up in price again after it was down quite low. And i managed to order the last one they had home so then they ordered new and raised the price again.. Something to be glad for.. Btw, if anyone wants to know, the price was (in USD); around 1500-1600.. Well, don't know if thats expensive in other countries but here it's a good price!)

New computer - Getting some graphics bug in LFS
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG