The online racing simulator
you didnt say that tho. u said hte thread was pointless. do u understand yet? probably not -_-

we all sometimes see a thread or post and think "wow this is stupid" or "what a dumbass" but some of us actually are decent enough people not to type it out. its a waste of time and energy.
Quote from Gabkicks :you didnt say that tho. u said hte thread was pointless. do u understand yet? probably not -_-

we all sometimes see a thread or post and think "wow this is stupid" or "what a dumbass" but some of us actually are decent enough people not to type it out. its a waste of time and energy.

No, I didn't say the thread was pointless (even though it probably is). I said the first post was meaningless. And I posted so that I could say that and point out the irony, obviously. Kinda like what you did. You see, I'm not afraid to express my opinion, and I still manage to be a decent person. No need to flame me.
Quote from NetDemon01 :And what's so bad about spam and off-topicness? We can't discuss LFS 24/7. There ARE other things in life

You're right, and there is an Off Topic forum for that. http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=42
Quote from cannonfodder :You're right, and there is an Off Topic forum for that. http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Looking over the first page of the LFS Forum, which threads would you move to the off-topic forum?
Quote from cannonfodder :You're right, and there is an Off Topic forum for that. http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Exactly! We're provided with an off topic forum because it is known that LFS is not the only thing we're allowed to talk about here. So this:
"We need to tighen up the junk and really off topic stuff"
really makes no sense to me. The only problem is when off-topic threads are made in the main LFS forum where they shouldn't be, but for the most part I think people are doing fine by keeping the thread's where they are suppose to be. The only recent problem for the dev's is all the requests being put into the test patch thread when Scawen said not to.
#31 - JJ72
Don't think locking up the forum is a good idea, that basically is just blindfolding yourself and try to fool yourself this is a community without flaming and disrespectful people...just because you don't see it NOW.

I am aware of the sensitiveness towards noob, trolls and crackers, it's like everytime someone ask for "more tracks and cars" there has to be three pages for irony afterwards, some people can take it some can't.

While the other thing is the more "accomplished" members tends to pick on each other's sentence and make a thread out of it, that too isn't pretty to watch.

I am ok with the off-topicness and occasional spam, as long as it's funny, ust a the fact that LFS community is less straight-faced, and that's kind of cute.

But I want to say that nothing big has happened and changed the LFS forum recently, it's just a cycle everytime between the major updates - right after an update there will be a period of 1.sim comparison 2.physics criticism 3.improvement suggestions and these topics will be done to death, so people will tend to find other things to talk about once this period is over.

When I see something like the argument upstairs I would just give it a laugh, people in the deep of an argment doesn't always see the whole picture, it's just human nature.
Quote from Whisper :What kind of facts would you like me to back my opinion with? Just because you don't like what I said doesn't mean it's pointless.

I think much of what you're saying is pointless, and you haven't backed it up with any facts at all, yet I'm not jumping on your case and calling you a troll, am I?

I respect your rights to post Whisper but the fact that I suggested such drastic action as 'locking the forum' seems to have irked you no end and well maybe it acheived its purpose, 'to make ppl think'?

I don't post meaningless rubbish, maybe the occasional agreeing reply to another post or a humorous remark, but not of the spam variety.

I know ppl live for the news of this forum, i check it daily

but to say what i post is meaningless because i threaten your percieved right to post anything on this forum, by suggesting it close is not what I intended, and if it offends you it wasn't meant to

I care about LFS, I was responsible for the S1 manual which has gone on to a better version now as a wiki.

I put a lot into this community, as have you, and heaps of others

Its just a shame to see so much good work and helpful items, posts and noob assistance going to waste because there is a lot of ppl out there that couldn't give a rats anymore
I agree with ShannonN, the forum is getting out of hand. I am trying to persuade several people to try LFS and am frankly embarassed by the state of the forum and what they must think of the LFS 'community' as a result.

Many of the useless posts come from the same handful of people; several are prolific posters and most seem to be fairly young. I suspect that they're on summer break from school and are bored.

Perhaps if there was a way to limit the number of posts per day to, say, 5, that might serve to reduce the amount of noise on the forums?
Quote from BuddhaBing :Perhaps if there was a way to limit the number of posts per day to, say, 5, that might serve to reduce the amount of noise on the forums?

+1

there's too much bs posted by same group of spammers every day..

and I think we need more trigger happy moderators (like Janezki)
Sorry for the OT, but did Janezki just become a mod here, or am I totally blind? I definitely remember him from RSC, but I don't remember him being a mod here...
Almost every forum becomes like this when the number of users exceeds ~10,000. It slowly converts into a chat with flame wars, a lot of off topic, people create new topics on almost the same subject on 1,2,3 etc month basis.

The only way to stop it is strict rules and heavy moderation. The forums, in some people's opinion will become dull, but I'm for it.
I just think the moderators need to be quicker to move or lock inappropriate threads. As soon as people realise they need to stay on topic and not flame, it will stop.
96 GTS:
Been here from the start, just usually been lurking in the shadows. :bat:

farcar: Locking topics just because of offtopic posts or little flaming isn't right IMO
Quote from BuddhaBing :I agree with ShannonN, the forum is getting out of hand. I am trying to persuade several people to try LFS and am frankly embarassed by the state of the forum and what they must think of the LFS 'community' as a result.

Many of the useless posts come from the same handful of people; several are prolific posters and most seem to be fairly young. I suspect that they're on summer break from school and are bored.

Perhaps if there was a way to limit the number of posts per day to, say, 5, that might serve to reduce the amount of noise on the forums?

I believe the LFS Forum Whores (we all know who they are) will not be happy until they're the only ones left here.

Disabling post counts would be a step in the right direction.

Serp.
I don't actually know who these "Forum Whores" are, can you enlighten me? I can only assume you're referring to regulars who post a lot, but it doesn't seem like a decent way to refer to anyone imho

Shannon, your post was on the right track :up: My personal Bovine Excrementometer has been spiking lately...
Quote from ShannonN :but to say what i post is meaningless because i threaten your percieved right to post anything on this forum, by suggesting it close is not what I intended, and if it offends you it wasn't meant to

You're not threatening anything, since you're not an admin.
Anyway, you guys are all delusional. I've been here for a while and the forum has always been this way. Sometimes it's been slower, sometimes more active and consequently more full of randomness. It has not gone to crap. Stop viewing the past through the rose goggles.

You want even stricter rules? People already scream bloody murder when somebody says a bad word. An occasional spam post or a flame aren't harming anyone personally, and never have. I understand to a lot of you Internet is serious business and you take personal offense at anything posted on it, but maybe you should all just relax and let it go a bit, before you pop a vessel in your head or something.
I like being here, I like posting here. I come here every day, multiple times. But I have to say things have become a bit boring, but honestly... It's like this every where. There used to be a lot of posting in the update threads, but after locking that down it kinda stopped. Personally I'm a bit afraid of that section now, I don't want people to hate me or something, and Scawen was very serious about being sick of the suggestions and stuff, I just stopped posting there.

This thread shouldn't exist, I don't say it doesn't have value to it, but it just shouldn't exist. I wouldn't even dare to post a thread like this. Maybe more people should be like that. Expressing your own oppinion is good, but there should still be some level of being "scared" of what others will say or think. People need to understand that talking on the internet is easier, and you'll say what you think more easily, but the people reading it and those "around" you, will still react in a similar way to in real life. They'll probably even react more serious, they feel the it's easier to post too, so they'll jump to insults faster than IRL. That's how the flaming and bad discussion start.

I think what we need is a serious cleaning of this forum. Bye a lot of my posts, but I don't really care.

Now I'm wondering who those forum whores are, and if I'm one of them
Im not so much bored, Im pwning some n00bs on Css - like 50 hrs this week, but in terms of waiting for things to be released, the thing I want most of all is the enginee temps, as taht is one of teh things missing that makes an impact EVERY time you drive a car, they all have guages, they never move
Like in a car, and on the dash, there are the buttons where if u had a higher spec there would be like 4 way active climate control or something, but theres just a blank butotn leaves u wishing u'd go the upper spec - same kinda thing
I think we're just getting a bit impatient waiting for the next "big" update to come to us (though, i'am glad to wait, the better it is, the more everyone will love it). Sure, we rib eachother, but I am sure some of us do it in the joking sense (but yes, it does go a bit far at some times).

As far as someone saying "we should ban this forum from the demo players", think about that for a bit. If you were a demo player, wouldn't you feel a bit not wanted if that was to happen? In my opinion, that would hurt LFS (as a community, and in new coming sells) more than help it.
I agree with Whisper, the forum has always been like this although it has become slightly worse recently due to the few thousand of new lfs'ers who came onboard after the recent patch, and as we all know the bigger the ground gets the less controll you have over them. Which is fine, more people for lfs is good i think we all agree! But with more people needs to come more moderation to keep the forum looking good and be a good read. A recent thread that springs to mind getting stupidly out of hand is the Faster111's s2 license thread so much that it had to be closed in the end.

The moderators i must admit I have seen other forums which have been better moderated (hope moderators dont take offence here ) I understand that moderators have a life to live as we all do but they need to make their presence felt a bit more here.

As with the demo racers, yes i would agree people are too quick to single out a demo racer for being a cracker when they post a screenshot of their skin on a gtr car say at Aston Nat but even demo racers have friends dont they? who might by chance have an s2 licesne.... ok so it can also be used as a good excuse but not all of them are crackers i am sure... in anycase a pm would be sufficent to say ZOMG UR ZA CRAZKER rather than filling up the forum with crap and filling up the thread with useless comments.

i think Shannons post was needed! he highlights some key issues hope some people will take note and be more thoughtfull when posting.

I would suggest getting rid of the post count, although i cant believe people would be so childish and post(spam) to bring their count up. very silly indeed (only time for spamming is prepatch hype)

The 5 posts per day suggestion is resonable although you couldnt engage in any discussions then. Maybe what would be better though maybe a bit impractical is when you post for a new thread is typed, it would auto search the forum and warn you maybe that a post/thread of similar nature has already been posted, are you sure you want to make a new thread?

anyway time for breakfast!

mad

*edit* could someone please post the xr_interior1 and 2 dds files in my cockpit texture thread? THANKS
I only spam when I get into the x90 number of posts...
-
(Kalev EST) DELETED by Kalev EST
Quote from ShannonN :Hi All
We all have noticed in the last month there have been so many useless threads, flame wars, noob/demo bashing happening.

The community is turning on itself, it seems every demo player must be a cracker to some, every noob that asks a question that was asked once 3 yrs ago gets told they shouldv'e used the search feature etc.

Few remember the search is not that great a tool.

Is it boredom, cause we want S2 final, and getting frustrated that there's not been a incompatible patch this week? Have we all burnt out? Done too many miles in a FZR? Too eager to see new sounds, better tracks/cars etc?

Everywhere there are posts for meaningless stuff, some posts in response to Scawens updates are niggley and disrespectful at times and ppl don't listen to his requests not to keep asking for the same thing etc

Perhaps the whole forum should be locked until the next incompatible patch as a big wake up call, then only the patch thread reopened until we get back the respect for each other and LFS

We need to tighen up the junk and really off topic stuff, and get the moderators working a bit harder to exercise some control again?

Just my attempt at starting the community thinking how its all going to crap at times and get the great commeraderie back

ShannonN

am just board becuase i canrt go on lfs
This has been a problem that has always been here and is just increasing more rapiddly(sp error). Many people are intimidated by those with hundreds(maybe thousands) of posts. So they go out posting and end up spamming. The best way to start is by dropping the post count. The only true way to know someones expierence is by how long they've played LFS.
As they say, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. All demo racers aren't bad. If you seriously stopped to count how many have actually been 'naughty' on the forums, you'll find the number is a very small fraction of the demo community. Why limit access to the forum for all demo racers because of those few? There are some very nice people in the demo community and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the whole LFS community sprout from a small group of demo racers in the beginning?

It seems some people equate higher post counts with some sort of mystical status. The higher the number, the more 'power' they have and it sometimes leads to the prima donna affect. Higher post counts doesn't earn you the right to be rude or mean to others. Having met the devs doesn't either, no matter how Godly the experience was. I've watched some very nice people become obnoxious for what seems to be no other reasons than the ones I've already said. Don't let the good things you do be overshadowed by negative comments and digs at others. It's a tough decision on how to handle the post count. Removing it can actually remove part of the life of the forum. Even though there are flaming, ranting, whining or whatever kind of posts you want to call them, they do keep the forum active. If you want it decreased, first try being one of the ones not doing it.

I personally think the mods are doing a great job. At the rate forum posts are being made, how can anyone seriously expect them to stay 100% on top of every thread? I commend them on their restraint in performing their duties. Knowing when to step in to handle things can be tough. Too soon, they get flamed for being too strict, not soon enough they get flamed for not doing their jobs. Be thankful you have them as mods and not me.

It kind of baffles me why sometimes people find it hard to just be nice. Personally, I think the LFS community as a whole is awesome. All the good stuff can get lost under a couple of wreckless posts or threads though. It's like reading a newspaper, a huge messy crash will tend to draw more attention from readers than an act of kindness by some local person. Doesn't seem fair, but 'drama' gets more readers. Be brave, look away and focus on the positive stuff.

Hmm, the best solution for handling conflicts... car of your choice, Blackwood track, high noon, banger racing.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG