The online racing simulator

Poll : hotlaps

yes i upload hotlaps if i have a good laptime
no i dont bother to even if i beat the wr
i only upload if its very close to the wr
hotlaps? whats these?
I upload them very-very rarely. Last one from me was uploaded about a year ago.
I use hotlaps for my practice, and if I beat or come close to a wr I will upload. If I end up beating or getting close to it in whatever race I'm practicing for I'll sometimes go back and set a hotlap.
I voted "no i dont bother to even if i beat the wr"
I voted the top option because I find hotlapping is a great way to improve sets and laptimes. I enjoy doing the ranks. I was in the top ten in the main rank for a while but dropped down the order as more people set laptimes.
Quote from bo-kristiansen :I voted "no i dont bother to even if i beat the wr"

Same
well, I dont bother because, hotlapping is to me impossible. It just isnt as intense and really doesnt get me into my "zone" so I can do a good lap. Most of my pb's come during practice and qualy for races because the pressure is on...etc. With a hotlap...what? I just run around then post it online for everyone to just see...but what does it really gain me? I have done a few hotlaps and did not upload them, but otherwise...i just race. They are not really anything to go by. Most hotlap setups cant be used in a race, and a good hotlapper doesnt mean anything during a race. So really, hotlapping doesnt say much about a driver...unless you biggie, biohazard, or csimpok. lol...they are just uber quick and we know it no matter what. Plus biohazard and csimpok I actually know can "race" (never had the pleasure of seeing/racing with biggie), but a lot of the time I see drivers enter league races that are good hotlappers and get pole position, but fall apart during the race because they are trully two different things...unless the rest of the field blows, in which case you long distance hotlap, lap after lap after lap because no one else can give you a real race.
I did a few hotlaps when the last BIG update was released I notice the old times had gone. While everyone was trying the BMW I was hotlapping times into the top spot. I only stayed top for a hour or so 'cause I'm to slow, but I was THE GREATEST. for a while.
Quote from Nighty :I did a few hotlaps when the last BIG update was released I notice the old times had gone. While everyone was trying the BMW I was hotlapping times into the top spot. I only stayed top for a hour or so 'cause I'm to slow, but I was THE GREATEST. for a while.

Yeah, I have to admit I did that too...:hide:
Me too - I had 24 world records at one point!

Still 19th overall in the main hotlap rank. Plenty more time to come off too.
I like to do some hotlaps now and then, but I only driving hotlap on tracks/cars I have used a lot in racing first. I do not eighter upload a replay, before it`s at least under 1 sec behind WR.
Of course that is not good, but I like to think, if I am 1 sec behind WR the time is ok enough for me :P

But it is fun when I actual managed to come like 0.15sec behind the WR :P
Just bad it was on the shortest track in LFS :P - South City.

In the end tho - I am not hotlaper whore, I like to take some laps now and then, but usually I like to play online istead.
I once had like 70 WRs!! :crown:

But it was some time ago, when I was driving with keyboard and there were seperate WRs for kb, mouse and wheel.
Quote from zeugnimod :I once had like 70 WRs!! :crown:

But it was some time ago, when I was driving with keyboard and there were seperate WRs for kb, mouse and wheel.

You're obviously pushing the right buttons. A good life skill Zeug
:ices_rofl

Thx, in addition to that, I even learned to turn in the right degree now. (Well, sometimes)
It can be interesting, but only if you are battling against someone / a group of people in particular. Unless your biggie, and want take on the world. I've submitted a few on occasion, I don't care if my times are fast or slow, but I generally find hotlapping just irritates me since every little mistake is another lap wasted. In racing, so long as I keep the car behind me, I'm happy. I'm known for being able to make my GTT very wide.
Ive only hotlapped once n that was pre patch as i was practising to improve my time and i wanted to see my improvement so i was hotlapping.
Never done it again though.
i have voted for the first option, but that actually means that i upload only if i know for sure i beated a wr, with previous patch i did it getting even 20 or so wr that lasted for some time, but soon i got bored of checking lfsworld, then upload...
the reason why hotlap is when i race for first time a combo online and after i consider worth creating a decent setup, so hotlap mode is the best thing, since i got bored of chechink lfsworld i've never uploaded an hotlap since months, if lfs would have an integrated feature to check wr and position and upload hotlaps from hotlap mode i will do, otherwise too much work opening firefox browsing lfsworld, check if i beated my best hotlaps then upload...i'm damn lazy!
Quote from Honey :.. too much work opening firefox browsing lfsworld

Opera.. sessions.. mmmm..
I do a lot of hotlaps, but only if I can reach a 103% of the WR time.
If I have trained for a combo, and done the race, I usually go hotlapping just after the race.

I think it make a better racer, to try to improve ones hotlaps.
Quote from Madman_CZ :
i do admire biggie tho for holding so many records! that guy must not sleep and spend everyday racing.

I'm sure you would like to believe that, but it's simply not true In fact, I haven't really spent a lot of time with most of my current WRs. There are some WRs which are pushed quite a lot (and which took me some time), but for the majority of laps I didn't really try much.
There are these periods when I hotlap a lot, but I used to hotlap much more a few years back in the S1 days...
I still do that occasionally, but then there's weeks and weeks where I don't even touch LFS. Haven't had much interest in LFS lately.

Quote from rAcEr2418 :
Most hotlap setups cant be used in a race, and a good hotlapper doesnt mean anything during a race. So really, hotlapping doesnt say much about a driver

True. But certainly hotlappers can do one of the most important things: go fast. The rest (proper racecraft, tactics) comes from experience and is sure easier to learn than how to be fast in the first place.
A certain mental strength is also required not to get too nervous when under pressure. That's a trait that seems to be of genetical origin mostly - as is the talent for driving fast and being consistent.
When you have total control of a car and you know its limits perfectly, you will understand what it means not to exceed those limits at the expense of tires. You will know exactly where the limit is and you can instinctively restrain yourself so you can save your material.
Not that I feel I have to prove anything to anyone about my racing skills, in fact I can't remember "falling apart" (quote rAcEr2418) during a race. Anyway, I'm not the one to judge that. Only those who ever raced with me can comment on that.

Online racing is not that important to me, I don't seem to be getting much satisfaction out of it. What remains when you win an online race? Well, the results will be forgotten soon. Maybe the memories of a good fight that was fun do remain. But A WR on the contrary does stand as it is.
WRs help many people who are trying to become faster by showing them just how fast a certain car can REALLY go. Race setups and race pace never show the true potential of a car.
I personally find other cars on track disturbing and I always wish they wouldn't be getting in my way and destroying my laptimes
I seem to be from a different "breed" in terms of LFS To me what's interesting about LFS is pushing the limits and seeing what a car can do when tweaked and pushed until there's nothing more to be squeezed out of it While most of you find it boring and unrewarding, I have to claim that it's not like that to me. Nailing all the splits and doing an almost perfect lap is certainly rewarding...

Quote from Tweaker :
But so much time is invested for something that will be eventually deleted when S2 is final. By the time S2 is final I will be hotlapping.

There will always be physics changes along the way. It's been like that during the S1 times, during the transition from S1 to S2 and it's like that even now. What makes you think that your efforts will be in vain? You don't know when S2 final will actually be released. It might well be another year before it comes (I don't hope so)...
And don't be so sure your "S2 final" hotlaps will last forever. I think it's very likely there are gonna be many more tweaks and changes during the S2 stage...
Anyway, what difference does it make of having a hotlap uploaded for 5 months (before it gets deleted) or 10 years? Do you gain anything from the hotlap being uploaded for 10 years?
Hm, maybe it's the same as with good wine - the older the hotlap, the better it tastes... uhm... well, you get the idea
Quote from rAcEr2418 :well, I dont bother because, hotlapping is to me impossible. It just isnt as intense and really doesnt get me into my "zone" so I can do a good lap. Most of my pb's come during practice and qualy for races because the pressure is on...etc. With a hotlap...what? I just run around then post it online for everyone to just see...but what does it really gain me? I have done a few hotlaps and did not upload them, but otherwise...i just race. They are not really anything to go by. Most hotlap setups cant be used in a race, and a good hotlapper doesnt mean anything during a race. So really, hotlapping doesnt say much about a driver...unless you biggie, biohazard, or csimpok. lol...they are just uber quick and we know it no matter what. Plus biohazard and csimpok I actually know can "race" (never had the pleasure of seeing/racing with biggie), but a lot of the time I see drivers enter league races that are good hotlappers and get pole position, but fall apart during the race because they are trully two different things...unless the rest of the field blows, in which case you long distance hotlap, lap after lap after lap because no one else can give you a real race.

I can tell you, that 99% of the hotlap WR holders are very very good racers. I don`t know why people think a hotlapper can`t race ?

Usually a good racer, races against the pack, and notice he`s close to the WR. Them he dissapears for 30 minutes and the WR, is now his. Have seen this many times.

I combine the 2 things and I have raced over 66.000 miles (107.000 Km) online. I will think I have done about half doing hotlaps. Man against time - No draft, no wind - NOTHING but you and your skills.

It`s not for kiddoes, when a MAN sits on his shiny metal horse, and take on the battling against migthy Mr. Time - Alone
Quote from biggie :
... What remains when you win an online race? Well, the results will be forgotten soon. Maybe the memories of a good fight that was fun do remain. But A WR on the contrary does stand as it is...

Strange. I feel nearer to a hotlapper as to most circuit racers. It´s a little difference between wr-hunting and pb-hunting, but your words above are simular to a big fun for us (FM): Bumpdrafting and "ordinary drafting" on the oval to lower the pb. THX for the words biggie.
Quote from Tweaker :If I felt like it, I could get some world records or very fast times. But so much time is invested for something that will be eventually deleted when S2 is final. By the time S2 is final I will be hotlapping. It isn't pointless to hotlap right now persay, because it helps the developers know where weaknesses are in certain cars or classes. But there are plenty of other hotlapping nutters out there that do that already.

I also would prefer being involved with LFSWorld if it had its old interface -- or a new one. I haven't seen much of LFSW since the desktop one

Hehe

A reset means - A new beginnig !
And an improved Lfs simulator. I would want new beginnigs more often then !!
Quote from alland44 :I can tell you, that 99% of the hotlap WR holders are very very good racers. I don`t know why people think a hotlapper can`t race ?

Usually a good racer, races against the pack, and notice he`s close to the WR. Them he dissapears for 30 minutes and the WR, is now his. Have seen this many times.

I combine the 2 things and I have raced over 66.000 miles (107.000 Km) online. I will think I have done about half doing hotlaps. Man against time - No draft, no wind - NOTHING but you and your skills.

It`s not for kiddoes, when a MAN sits on his shiny metal horse, and take on the battling against migthy Mr. Time - Alone

Of course! But i have just seen these things happen. But yes, there are many terrific racers out there because they are amazing hotlappers. I just personally could never get into hotlapping, but I really prefer racing and thats what seems to push me to my limits. (I dont mean the sprint online races that are on 24/7 - although those can work, but full "races" league races, events, etc.)

@Biggie, thanks for those words, and well I have always been sure you are an amazing driver/racer. I just never had the pleasure of seeing you on track. I see all your points clearly and agree with them.
Quote from filur :Opera.. sessions.. mmmm..

firefox has it too, but do you have any idea, how how many clicks require to check if you beated your hotlap for a certain combo and if positive, then browsing to the file?
you don't know how lazy i am...

@biggie
i agree with most things you said, fighting for wr is a distance fight enjoyable just as online racing...sorta similar to rallies when racers don't see the opponents car, they only run against time.
a long ago i one of those who thought that top hotlappers like you, just live behind the wheel, but as my skills improved i realized that the more experience you get the more you adapt to any track and setup any car is much more easier, but clearly people like you are a mixture of talent, training, experince and determination and it's very true that you are the people that show us the very limit of each combo...the first thing i do when i joing an online race with a first time combo is to check the wr so that i know that if i am more than 2 seconds from wr, then i'm damn slow and i have plenty of room for improvement so that i can fight for the podium
The difference is not having a hotlap for 5 months or 10 years... the life of one doesn't matter to me at least. It is the fact that I'd rather be hotlapping when the game is a bit more 'permanent' and competitive, rather than putting in all the hardwork of doing hotlaps when you know they will be deleted once S2 hits its 'resting point'.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG