The online racing simulator
Automatic or manual?
(64 posts, started )
Automatic is terrible, it always seems to change gear at the worst possible time for me, and usually makes me spin, so i have and always will use manual
Quote from RipperJax :illepall I'm a beginner...in LFS!! I've been racing ALL other sims before. I found that the talk about using gears, clutch etc. is just...bullshit!! I can race faster than any guy using the automatic option in other games. Is this the case in LFS as well?? Do you really gain from using manual gear shift in LFS, or is it just 'mumbo jumbo' from the 'tough guys'?illepall

When you're fast with auto stay at auto. When you want to be faster do it all yourself (manual)
Well i've tried manual offline and was ok so then I decided i'd try online. On the grid waiting to start, and we're off I speed up forget i'm in manual rev the engine like mad and cause a big pile up.

I think auto is the one for me.
practice practice m8. You give up too easily
Just do whichever your more comforatable with. If you cant do manual now use auto untill you get better and try manual again.
I'll keep practising manual but online i'm using auto till I get better.
Whats strange is i always use to forget to change gear and id then realise when i could hear the engine crying for me to shift up.. "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaH..... oh crap.. brrrrrrrrrr waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. oh crap.." and so on but after passing my test and driving a real car it feels more natural.. and you subconciously listen to the engine... its very wierd.. so basically every1 needs to go out an drive a real car... kids... keys are in your dads right pocket.. or on the shelf have fun..
Manual is definatly the way of the future. If you want to stay competative manual changing gives you a lot more control. I also think that auto changes gear earlier so with manual you can push that extra bit from the engine. Also you don't ge that annoying mid corner change when your struggling for grip. Manual lets you hold a gear through corners or quick change down. I am an FZR driver and the gears are an intergral part of getting the car slowed down. An auto box doesn't quick change to a low enough gear early enough to help you brake whilst with a manual box you can jump from sixth to forth then rapid shift to second for some really smart out braking manouvers. If you can get that right you can pull of some amazing out braking moves.

It is a nessecary skill to pick up if you ever wnat to head up the pack for any length of time. It really added to my race speed. I was a mouser so it was in the brake zone that made me competative. Without a manual box you won't be able to get it sorted. Plus whilst mousing you can't have the car unbalanced with a gear change at a critical moment. Particularly with a heavy rear engined car like the FZR.

If you want full control of your automobile and competative racing you will not give an auto box a second thought. Persevere with maual changeing and have a look at your gear set. You will soon find that you can't understand why you stayed with auto for so long . . .
Quote from whitey6272 :... kids... keys are in your dads right pocket.. or on the shelf have fun..

hehe I wish that was true
Quote from whitey6272 :Whats strange is i always use to forget to change gear and id then realise when i could hear the engine crying for me to shift up.. "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaH..... oh crap.. brrrrrrrrrr waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. oh crap.." and so on but after passing my test and driving a real car it feels more natural.. and you subconciously listen to the engine... its very wierd.. so basically every1 needs to go out an drive a real car... kids... keys are in your dads right pocket.. or on the shelf have fun..

Spitting image of my driving there.
The problem with racing a simulation is that the sensation of speed just isn't there, so either you've got one eye on the speedo, or you judging your speed by engine revs and gears. Most sim racers judge their speed by rev noise and the gear they are in, which is one reason why most of us go sideways if we accidentally go down an extra gear under braking .

You can also develop new techniques such as shaving off speed mid corner during an overtake with a bit of engine braking then flipping the car back up a gear, which is also a useful technique when your heading for an armco.

Quote :I can race faster than any guy using the automatic option in other games.

I've always been faster with manual gears in all games, the fact that you are clearly a ninja jedi without them just meens you could go even faster if you had the confidence to try them. There's so many techniques you are missing out on.
In GT4 a tap on the brakes would cause the auto box to knock it down a gear. Maybe it's the same in LFS but as I've never driven auto I don't know. This made the auto a bit more playable but I still struggled compared with manual.
I don't think it is. I race auto alot but I mainly just focus on getting past the person in front.
And there will quite a few of them if you continue to race with an Auto box. Maybe on the slower cars you can get away with it but the difference in the Big GT's would be marked.

Nope. Manual. Learn how to use it. It is the best way to go.

I had a setup that allowed me to have the 'second gear stoppa'. Dunno if anyone else can or use it or managed to get a setup that allows it but If I was coming up to a hairpin or a sharp second gear corner I could wang it from sixth to forth. Allow the rear wheels to slow then slam it into second. The braking power that gave you was amazing. If you timed it right you could be off the brakes, turning in, out braking another car and onto the apex all from the second gear. Using engine braking like that was great with the FZR because it helped to keep that big 'ol arse where it belonged.

The Second gear stoppa. Used to be able to come from miles back and just slam it up the inside. People would give me room thinking i had over cooked it and would run wide. Then stare in disbelieve at my retreating exhaust pipes. Love it.
#40 - Jakg
surely the tyres only have x lateral grip, whether you would use it via braking or engine braking make no difference
Practised manual again. The thing i'm having trouble with is downshifting. When do you do it? How many gears do you downshift? Using manual I cant get round a corner without sliding.
Quote from nutty boy :Practised manual again. The thing i'm having trouble with is downshifting. When do you do it? How many gears do you downshift? Using manual I cant get round a corner without sliding.

That depends on your ratios. But you should downshift as early as possible without locking the wheels. If you have close ratios you will be able to knock it down sooner or maybe two gears at a time. I often click downshift twice in quick succession if I'm braking for a 2nd/3rd gear corner from 5ht/6th gear.
#43 - Jakg
Quote from nutty boy :Practised manual again. The thing i'm having trouble with is downshifting. When do you do it? How many gears do you downshift? Using manual I cant get round a corner without sliding.

you mean you dont engine brake normally? try learning in FWD, then AWD, THEN RWD, if you need any more help then just find me on a server
Whats engine braking and How do I know what gear I need to be in for the corner.
Quote from nutty boy :Whats engine braking and How do I know what gear I need to be in for the corner.

Engine braking is using the engine to slow the wheels i.e. when you downchange and you are off the throttle. Big pistons, high compression and low ratios all add to the engine braking effect.

The gear you should take the corner in is the one that gives you maximum accelaration out of the corner when your apex speed is as fast as it can be given the amount of lateral grip the tyres are offering.
Most of that just went in one ear and out the other. How do I know which gear will give me the most acceleration.
Quote from nutty boy :Whats engine braking and How do I know what gear I need to be in for the corner.

Additionally to what Gentlefoot said, with time you simply learn what gear you need to be in for what corner. Just like the braking points.

And if you get more experienced, you don't even have to know that on new tracks anymore. With enough practice you can just tell by the revs how much you need to downshift.

E: The optimal shifting point is obviously when the red light comes on. And if your gear is too high you notice it by a much too deep engine note and craptastic accelleration
It'll take alot of practise i'm telling you that.
Quote from nutty boy :Most of that just went in one ear and out the other. How do I know which gear will give me the most acceleration.

Best bet, 1500 - 2000rpm below the point at which the red shift light comes on. Change as soon as you see the shift light.
#50 - Jakg
Quote from nutty boy :It'll take alot of practise i'm telling you that.

not really...

Automatic or manual?
(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG