The online racing simulator
South City's secret area - And what could have been
This is a part of LFS that always intrigued me. This piece of unused content right here:

This is an out-of-bounds area in South City, blocked off by a tyre barrier under the highway bridge. At first glance, it appears to just be part of the background, pure decoration that was never meant to be seen from this angle.

That is, until you place a ramp nearby and get a car over the tyre barrier. In earlier versions of LFS, you would be reset after going too far into it, but in an era where open configurations are a thing, this doesn't happen, and we find out...

...that most of the roads in this area are actually solid and fully drivable! Despite this area being blocked off and made part of the background, most of this area can be driven on, although the minimap doesn't actually display all of the drivable area, only some of it.

The map, as seen below, does display properly in the track selection screen, so this appears to be a bug with the in-game HUD not being able to display the full map, probably because it's too big. This might be part of the reason why this area was scrapped.

Perhaps the biggest thing about this area is that the cinematic camera actually works here, unlike most other out of bounds areas that aren't meant to be driven on.

Compared to another (less interesting) secret area, the kart track to the east of the Autocross area, which has no road leading to it, blocked off or not, and can only be accessed by placing a start position in that area, the cinematic camera doesn't work at all there.

And below are the rest of the cinematic cameras in this area:

These camera angles seem almost placeholder-like, adding to the unfinished air of this area. They aren't new, either, these have existed for a long time, since before open configs were even a thing. However, back then the only way to drive here was by placing starting position beyond the tyre barrier, and because LFS loses track of your car if you do that, you couldn't even see where you were going, so it would have been much harder to showcase this area in the earlier patches.

No official name was ever given to this section, but I just call it the industrial section since the only buildings here are four warehouses. It seems that, at some point, this section was supposed to be a part of the South City track, probably with its own configurations, but development on it stopped and with how slow LFS development goes, the devs might have forgotten it even existed. Perhaps now, with South City receiving a major revamp, this area could see the light of day in a different way, much like the Westhill National layout (which was also planned from the beginning if you take a closer look at the old Westhill).

If the devs ever read this thread, I'd like to know what were the circumstances that led this area to being cut from the game. Was it the HUD not being able to show the full map? Did the devs just forget it existed? Or was it something else?
#3 - w126
There were few leagues/events utilizing that bit of road in the past - most notably the Round 1 of the 2022 E-Challenge season as you can see in the broadcast replay:

Quite fun place to race thru I must say.
From what i remember this extra bit of asphalt behind SO was supposed to be the actual chicane route but was cut from Patch Y. Autocross karting track has been there for as far as i can remember but it only became accessible after the open config patch.

During the same patch when SO was updated, V1 Championship was announced and FBM was released, so maybe a possible time restraint caused it to be left unattended? Big grin
-
(kisozkhally) DELETED by Eric : Spam

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG