The online racing simulator
Leaving Live For Speed.
(16 posts, started )
Leaving Live For Speed.
Dear LFS Members,

After 15 years I say goodbye to LFS, I have enjoyed playing it for many years, but the game is fairly extinct with Online Multiplayer and Single Player is very bluntly said but really just very boring. That's why I'm ending my Live For Speed adventure. However, LFS is not an abandoned project and updates are still being released here and there, but these are essentially only test patches and not completely new versions. The game shows well on the community and online multiplayer that LFS is dying out and many servers that are only empty, usually there are 5 servers where players are in and the rest are actually only empty and remain empty and that is unfortunately a pity . In recent months I switched to RaceRoom and there are more players online and also real circuits and cars, which interests me more. LFS had a really nice game in the early years and it has remained nice, only the Race Servers are actually completely gone. That's why I say goodbye to LFS. I don't know if it's allowed to sell my account but then I'm willing to let someone take over my account or else I'll leave it as "abandoned".

I wish everyone a lot of fun with LFS.
bye
bye
Quote from joordy599 :I don't know if it's allowed to sell my account but then I'm willing to let someone take over my account or else I'll leave it as "abandoned".

The shortest terms and conditions in the world: https://www.lfs.net/agreement - point 3.4

Anyway - don't understand this dramatic leave/farewell,it looks like you expect others asking to not leave,there have been many of those and guess what - some of them returned. Big grin
Big grin It is extremely disturbing this strange relationship that players have with LFS. It looks like the dramatic love story between teenagers. We argue over nothing, we complain about everything and all the time, we leave each other with emphasis and justifications... it's sociologically fascinating.
Do you remember that tragic day when you solemnly said goodbye to Mario Kart or your teddy bear?Tilt
Everyone's choice to play in the LFS or not, no one will beg to stay here.

But why do you care so much about the popularity of the LFS? Shouldn't we appreciate the games for its own value. Not for how others value it by popularity or something else. Whats the point?

If we are talking about the success of the project and measure it with popularity, okay.. but where does any desire to play or not play LFS because of this?

I agree with issue about the online, but I hope that the upcoming update and the possible release of the trackeditor can change this.

Unfortunately updates are take longer than someone would like, but there are only 2 people working on the game, and technically they could do not do it, and just sell the game with the current content for the current price, but they still working on the game simply because they appreciate this project and the community so much that they continue to do it.
4600laps in 15years is insane bye
But everyone, who has posted here, has actually showed some care.
Quote from joordy599 :...and also real circuits and cars, which interests me more.

The only real cars and circuits are outside in real life. Just because the pixels look like a BMW emblem from far away doesn't make it a real BMW.
But yeah I get what is meant here: based on real cars and tracks. I just dont like the how it's said.

Anyway I also wish you a lot of fun with RaceRoom. I need to try that out again. Simbin always had the best SFX imho.
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :Big grin It is extremely disturbing this strange relationship that players have with LFS. It looks like the dramatic love story between teenagers. We argue over nothing, we complain about everything and all the time, we leave each other with emphasis and justifications... it's sociologically fascinating.
Do you remember that tragic day when you solemnly said goodbye to Mario Kart or your teddy bear?Tilt

Actually, that is very well said Smile What I think his point is to make us all sad that he is leaving or maybe push devs to update more frequently, which is ofc not going to happen, not because of him or anyone else.

Farewell dude, and thank you for playing LFS for 15 years, I wish you joy and many good races in RaceRoom or where ever Smile

PS. maybe try to go outside more
Quote from melerski :The only real cars and circuits are outside in real life. Just because the pixels look like a BMW emblem from far away doesn't make it a real BMW.

Smile What is realism in simracing? Broad topic ! Big grin

It is problematic, if not a little ridiculous, that the racing simulation fails to free itself further from the strict reproduction of reality.

Of course, a virtual car must have common characteristics with real cars. It can also be interesting that the virtual tracks are based on real tracks. Because sometimes it's a safer way to produce a cohesive track, easier than starting from scratch.

But the strict reproduction of existing cars, teams, sponsors, tracks and environments is purely cosmetic. The attraction of racers for artifice penalizes a game like LFS which focuses on the essentials.

Quote from rane_nbg : What I think his point is to make us all sad that he is leaving or maybe push devs to update more frequently, which is ofc not going to happen, not because of him or anyone else.

Smile Such categorical desertions are also a reflection of the dominant conformism.

The main thing for a car simulation is the quality of the physics and the fun of the races. Graphics and content are certainly important, but secondary. 20 years later, people are still having fun with 3 cars on Blackwood...

IMHO, LFS must cultivate its difference and innovate more rather than trying to resemble other games.

Big grin But that's another big topic...
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :
Smile Such categorical desertions are also a reflection of the dominant conformism.

I wish I knew what this means. It does sound very smart, I'll give you that Smile
I played last Sunday. I operated the shifting, breaking and throttle, my grand daughter did the steering. Don't worry. All y'alls WRs are safe.
Quote from rane_nbg :I wish I knew what this means. It does sound very smart, I'll give you that Smile

Smile What I mean is that LFS may be the last game of its kind. A game "handmade" by "real people" without big financial means. A game created from an extraordinary visionary creative impulse far ahead of its time, with a beautiful spirit of sharing and generosity.

Today the car games market is dominated by mercantile ambitions and purely reproductive cosmetic artifices. Some racers want to be able to imagine themselves in the shoes of real drivers driving real cars on real tracks identical to those of real life. All of this is understandable but perfectly ridiculous.
The digital reproduction of a real car or a real track, even faithful, has little relation to reality. This does not prevent car simulation from being demanding, fun and sporty.

Simracing has (should not...) have no need for the mirror of reality to seduce. This is the reason why the argument of the representation of reality seems puerile to me. And I say "conformism" because people (not all) seem to expect LFS to become like other games. However, I think that LFS, in its concept of a shifted relationship to reality based on the quality of physics, embodies the quintessence of automotive simulation, the antithesis of other flatly reproductive games.

When I drive the XRT, I don't know what I'm driving "Exactly" ? But I don't care. Big grin I drive. Omg omg omg

[sorry, in the language of Shakespeare, I struggle to be concise and clear]
Well obviously, yes.

The trick is that while driving an imaginary race car, there is no real-life counterpart to compare the handling to, so in principle, we have no idea if the car behaves as it should or not. At least for me, I only care for the car to be challenging and fun to drive. Is it real or not, I don't care much Smile After all, it's only a PC game (sim) and no matter how hard the devs try, it will only be an approximation of a real race car physics.

If we dream, consider this. Let's say you have an awesome simulator of a real car at a real track. Even after driving many laps in the simulator, after getting in a real car, there will again be quite a big learning curve, but there will be left a race craft or knowledge about how to learn to adapt to the car and how to find an optimal race line. And that's all that matters, LFS can provide that. For example, 1st time I sat in a rental karting on an unknown-to-me track, I was better than everyone that day after only 10 laps. I knew very quickly how to find the limits of the little thing and this I owe to many hours of driving various combos in LFS.
Smile You are right and you are not dreaming. The awesome simulators you mention exist. Real racers do indeed use them to learn tracks and test basic settings.

But as sophisticated as they are, these awesome simulators are no substitute for real driving. Professional drivers do not (to my knowledge) have the same sensations as in a real car with simulator. Also, their lap times are usually worse than simracers. Not least because their driving is more realistic and they take fewer absurd risks. And no simulator can transcribe all the subtleties of a race track.

In a car game, no matter how good the physics are, players don't drive like in real life. The reference to reality makes little sense. Moreover, many players have achieved world records without ever having driven a real car Tilt.
In a game, with good hardware and plenty of time, even a worm-eaten stool would manage to approach a decent lap time Big grin .

What's important (to me too Wink) is that the car is fun to drive and does what a real 'comparable' car would do in the same situation. The fact that the virtual technical characteristics are exactly the same as the real ones does not matter. The only possible comparison is with other racers.

That's why, in order to compare and for multiplayer races to be fun, everyone should have the same chances. I think it's much more essential than cosmetic considerations. No one should have an outsized advantage with an alien setup or cheat. But that's another tricky subject Big grin.

EDIT: The first time I put my butt in a kart, home computing barely existed. I was far from imagining that we would one day have pc games like LFS. I still left everyone behind. I'm not sure I can do that with LFS Big grin
-
(momefa015) DELETED by Flame CZE : nonsense

Leaving Live For Speed.
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG