The online racing simulator
Hanzmund V8
(19 posts, started )
Hanzmund V8
After the complete graphical rework of my oldest mods and a lot of online research to gather enough technical data, it is time to recreate another classic from my wishlist. I have started working on my personal tribute to a 1930s Czechoslovak engineering masterpiece, the timeless Tatra 87. One of the most unique, advanced and fastest cars of its era.

Progress: started modelling in Blender according to technical drawings. Built the first version of a chassis with a realistic suspension geometry and a V8 engine in the LFS editor according to the owners manual.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_00.jpg
Progress: tuned suspension and tire pressures. Modeled windows and a basic rear shape with a fin. Added more polygons to fix some shading artifacts.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_01.jpg
Progress: added gaps between panels + minor shading fixes.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_02.jpg
I'm so happy to see the Czechoslovak car line up getting bigger Big grin Keep it up!
Modders usually recreate dream cars. Czechoslovakia had produced too many dream cars, therefore Czechoslovak cars in the LFS are just inevitable Big grin Thanks for support, hope that this will be a worthy addition to Your nice Valuta mod Smile

Progress: modeled rims, headlights and smoothed some regions.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_03.jpg
Progress: modelled tail-lights + topology optimization of the rear.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_04.jpg
Progress: modeled chassis and rear grille/window. Tuned suspension.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_05.jpg
Progress: started working on the interior. Smoothed door shading. Added steering wheel, bumpers and minor exterior details.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_06.jpg
Progress: modeled a basic interior shape. A suspension and engine tuning. Added a racing setup. A test drive showed that the car is easy to drive at cruise speeds (even on rough terrain) but dangerously unstable on a limit, which is realistic according to contemporary reviews.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_07.jpg
Progress: completed a basic interior shape. Fixed a front weight distribution from 35% (Tatra 77) to 38% (Tatra 87) and reworked setups according to this change. Refined a front axle according to a technical drawing from a manual. The car is much more stable now and can be driven pretty fast, but is still very difficult to handle on the limit (which is realistic, considering the weight distribution and a rear swing-axle). The problem is that AI drivers still cannot drive this car properly. They constantly over-steer out of sharper curves, just like nazi-officers used to during the war. Yes, there is a reason, why this car was nicknamed "the Czech secret weapon" or even "the Nazi Killer".
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_08.jpg
Progress: modeled dashboard, handles, window-sealings, some minor details and added triangles to the front bonnet. A front axle adjustments.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_09.jpg
Progress: the model is finished. Added mirrors, handles, the second LOD, a steering animation, number-plates, clocks, optional cell-shading and multiple interior shading fixes. The engine was reworked according to Jay Leno's Garage video. Started with mappings.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_10.jpg
Progress: added mappings, created textures, minor shading fixes and other finishing touches. The car is ready for review.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_11.jpg
a great mod, model is good, textures and shading are top job

some points to improve maybe :
- named hazmund V8 but engine is V6
- sound is off compared to videos I could find for reference
Thanks for the feedback, I will try to rework the engine in the next update, together with some racing skins. Yes, it was an oversight, it definitely should be a V8 Smile
Update: a more realistic engine sound (not ideal but better) and racing skins pack for some rough vintage racing.
Attached images
hanzmund_progress_08.jpg
Update: an updated engine, tires and aerodynamics. Found a way how to approximate real-world impacts of the rear fin on the mod aerodynamics. The car is much more stable now and handling feels realistic. However, I am still not satisfied with the engine enough to allow derivatives.
Update: slightly refined frame, tires and engine sound. Derivatives are allowed Smile
The 7D56 test patch enabled much more realistic dashboard and contemporary "pop-up" indicators. The speedometer now rotates CCW as in real cars and has marked cruise speeds for each gear.

Attached images
hanzmund_progress_11.jpg

Hanzmund V8
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG